PDA

View Full Version : OS X Server (and general questions)

ast3r3x
2009-11-11, 10:04
I talked my work into getting a mac mini server for our work, but I've been tasked with making it our primary server. I have some questions for you guys first.

I'll have to be installing a lot of stuff, and I really hate doing anything I can't undo. So my idea is to have a git repository for /usr/local so I can find out changes after each install I do since I don't really have a package manager to work with. How do you guys deal with such things?

We also need a bug tracking system that integrates to svn and git, do you guys have any suggestions? At this point we may just end up going with Trac, but I was hoping for a better option.

ddelco
2009-11-12, 14:08
I'll have to be installing a lot of stuff, and I really hate doing anything I can't undo. So my idea is to have a git repository for /usr/local so I can find out changes after each install I do since I don't really have a package manager to work with. How do you guys deal with such things?
Why not just use macports (http://www.macports.org/) or homebrew (http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew)? That's what most people do.

As for an issue tracker, I've been using Redmine for my past two companies. I greatly prefer it over Trac, but neither Redmine nor Trac handled git particularly well last time I checked (eg, no support for viewing branches), although the recent rise in popularity of git has possibly changed that.

chucker
2009-11-12, 14:21
homebrew (http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew)

Thank you. Looks like there's finally a packaging system designed by people who aren't batshit insane.

Kickaha
2009-11-12, 15:02
Awwwww, yeah.

Nice.

Majost
2009-11-12, 20:37
Holy cow. That homebrew thing seems like a great idea. I really like it.

The guy seems cool, too. I was curious when the project originated, so I went back to his first commit back in May of this year: "I'll start with a rare Belgian yeast and Sussex hops."

And the FAQ section from the original Readme:
FAQ
===
Are you excessively interested in beer?
-------------------------------
Yes.

Was Homebrew devised under the influence of alchohol?
---------------------------------------------
Yes.

Awesome. :)

Brad
2009-11-12, 20:44
homebrew (http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew)
WHY have I not seen this before?? :wtf:

Thanks. :)

Gargoyle
2009-11-13, 11:53
Feeling lazy, does anyone that is currently using homebrew know if It can run a second copy of apache and php? I have downgraded my snowy install back to 5.2.10 for drupal development, but I also want to keep my hand in with Zend Framework 2 (Will require 5.3)?

Only shout up if you know off the top of your head - I'll probably get round to doing my own investigations with it in a few weeks.

ast3r3x
2009-11-13, 15:02
Feeling lazy, does anyone that is currently using homebrew know if It can run a second copy of apache and php? I have downgraded my snowy install back to 5.2.10 for drupal development, but I also want to keep my hand in with Zend Framework 2 (Will require 5.3)?

Only shout up if you know off the top of your head - I'll probably get round to doing my own investigations with it in a few weeks.

I'd suggest switching zend server for 5.3 work and running MAMP for <5.3 work. Or what I went with to keep my server clean is virtual machines. Now I can fiddle to my hearts delight knowing I'm never doing damage I can't spin a new instance up for.

ast3r3x
2009-11-18, 13:15
Ok, guys, some more questions.

Can I set it up so that it uses it's ethernet port and shares it's internet over wireless? I know you can do this with regular os x with internet sharing, but I didn't see how to do that in server. I'd like to make it almost act like a router. Yes you can.

Also, is there anyway to have multiple people logged in at one time? Like I'd like to be able to login while someone is actually on the server and not have to see what they see or them see what I'm doing. I think windows server can do this with remote desktop, but I can't figure this out either.