PDA

View Full Version : Electric shavers

torifile
2009-12-08, 23:32
Now that I'm shaving again after having a beard for a couple of years, I'm wondering if there are any electric shavers worth buying. I hate shaving with a passion but after a couple of days, neither my wife nor my son want to kiss me because my face feels like sandpaper... I've got a fairly thick beard, with hairs that have a tendency to curl making my previous attempts at using an electric more painful than it was worth. Anyone have any recommendations for a good electric shaver?

jdcfsu
2009-12-08, 23:40
I also have a pretty course beard but have been very happy with the Braun 8500 (I think that's the number). It has a cleaning base and hexagonal comb guard. I've used it for a few years now and it's very good and getting everything. Granted, it's not perfect (I don't think any electric shaver is) but it's very good and a lot better than the Nolrelco that I had before.

2009-12-08, 23:58
I'd love to find an electric shaver that actually worked, but every shaver I've had (Braun & Norelco) just never got close enough for a completely smooth shave. Around the curves was usually fine if I pushed, but under the neck was always terrible.

alcimedes
2009-12-09, 00:01
I rotate off between razor and electric every other day or so. Keeps down on the razor burn, but also keeps you from having the constant sandpaper feel most of the time.

Powerdoc
2009-12-09, 04:32
I have a braun. There is also the Philips (3 heads)
The phillips is more efficient in cutting long hair, but the braun is shaving closer.
Usually I use first the clipper, to cut the longhest hair, then I use the shaver. It prevent me skin irritation.

thegeriatric
2009-12-09, 06:07
Tried Braun, Philips, Finally settled on a Panasonic, been using them for years now, best shave I've ever had.

torifile
2009-12-09, 07:35
Can people list model numbers since all of these brands have a range of them? Thanks.

chucker
2009-12-09, 13:03
Tried Braun, Philips, Finally settled on a Panasonic, been using them for years now, best shave I've ever had.

Seconded — Panasonic's been working well for me. Easily washable, and can be used for wet shaving.

Before that, I had a Braun, which was okay — it did get the job done. Never tried Philips.

Can people list model numbers since all of these brands have a range of them? Thanks.

ES8161. Some other models in the house that I can't look up now as a result of being in Amsterdam. ;) They work just as fine, though.

thegeriatric
2009-12-09, 13:18

ES8163

nikstar101
2009-12-09, 18:40
I have a Braun 8595 (now a Series 5), which i have owned for at least 3 years now and i still works wonders. I found Braun gave much less razor burn that the Philips.

The self cleaning system is great as it keeps the thing running like new.

Chinney
2009-12-10, 14:07
As someone who went back and forth between electric and traditional shaving for years, I can say that electric shavers are much better than they used to be. They now provide almost as close a shave as a blade (very little difference), quicker and without the nicks, and they can even handle stubble allowed to grow for a number of days. That was not true 20 years ago, despite what the advertising said back then. I now almost always shave with my electric razor. Neck hairs can be tricky with an electric shaver, but most models have an extension that takes care of that.

Models and model numbers change frequently, so I have no advice there. What I would advise, though, especially if you have a thick beard, is to buy the 'top of the line' in whatever brand you choose. The best ones, that operate at higher cut frequencies, work much better than the cheapos. The best ones are quite expensive, but worth it in my opinion. My experience is that they last a long time – 5-6 years (or longer if you take care of them better than I do) – and, if you compare how much you would pay for blades over that time period, I think that you come out considerably ahead.

I shave with a Panasonic, but Braun is very good too. I have never tried a Phillips or Remington.

PB PM
2009-12-10, 16:03
I have an older Phillips and it was okay for a few years, but once the blades start to dull it just didn't cut close enough. I guess you could get them sharpened, but I'd rather get a new one as the battery is dead, not strong enough charge to shave properly, and it need to be plugged in all the time.

turtle
2009-12-10, 20:04
I've been using Norelco for years. My face doesn't mind it at all either. I'll get you the model number soon.

Partial
2009-12-10, 20:53
I just bought one that I'm reasonably happy with. I have an extremely thick beard and after one day it's like sandpaper, so take that for what its worth.

http://www.consumersearch.com/electric-shavers

http://www.consumersearch.com/electric-shavers/remington-microscreen-ms2-390

I don't really have anything to compare it to except for a blade. I much prefer the feel of the blade, but I do like the ease of use and lack of razor burn from the electric. Luca and his alternating days between electric and blade may be the way to go ultimately.

MBHockey
2009-12-10, 21:04
I used a Panasonic wet/dry shaver for a long time, but I've found that I can shave with a Shick Quattro now without getting the kind of irritation from a blade I used to get just a few years ago.

I don't know if this is just the right razor for my skin, or my skin has gotten "tougher". Either way I'm happy, because as good as the Panasonic was, it's still not as close as a blade shave.

murbot
2009-12-10, 22:36
I have tried a few electrics over the years, then said screw it and went with a blade for maybe the last 6 years. Then one day in a store this summer I thought damn, surely they're better now? Bought one in about the top 1/3 of the price range at this place, went home to shave, and it was returned an hour later. Horrible piece of shit.

Maybe it's the angle my facial hair grows at, I don't know, but I don't have an overly thick beard by any means, and any electric basically doesn't do shit all with my neck hairs. Fuckin' brutal.

I'm pretty sure that's the last time in my life I'll use one. I think some people are just meant for blades. God's will.

torifile
2009-12-10, 23:10
It's funny because in my experience using electrics, it was never the neck hair that was the problem. Always the hair on my cheeks and on my jawline that never got cut properly. I'm going to pick up a Braun this weekend and just see how it does. Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow and use it on Saturday so if my face looks like raw ground beef afterwards, I have a couple of days to recover. :lol:

pscates2.0
2009-12-11, 10:40
I'd like an electric shaver too. I've never used one, but I hate the wet mess from blade-shaving and the foam or gel (and water) needed (and the two pints of blood I leave in the sink). But I only shave about once a week, so I guess it's not a huge issue. I have a Remington beard/goatee/sideburn trimmer that I like a lot, and it saves me lots of visits to the barber (you don't need as many haircuts if you can keep the perimeters and extras - and back of the neck - neat, crisp and tidy). Optical illusion, and goes a long way toward making you look like you just got a haircut when you really didn't. :)

tomoe
2009-12-11, 11:20
I've never had luck with electric shavers. I stick with the safety razor (inexpensive blades, very sharp, close shave) and shave while in the shower.

Luca
2009-12-11, 11:46
Luca and his alternating days between electric and blade may be the way to go ultimately.

That was alcimedes. I exclusively use a blade. I'm like murbot - every electric I've used has completely sucked and doesn't do anything. May as well not use it. The only thing they're good for is the flip-out trimmers most of them have, but I have a beard trimmer for that.

I recently picked up a shaving brush on clearance for $1 and a puck of shaving soap for another $1, and I've been using that instead of the canned foam or gel most people use. It works about the same but it's kind of fun and makes me feel all old school. Just stick the soap in a mug, get the brush wet, swirl it around, and apply to your face. Feels good man.

Chinney
2009-12-11, 13:29
In light of the above, I guess that I should re-evaluate my suggestion. Although I do think that the current electric shavers are much improved, I am wondering if there are certain sorts of beards for which electric shaving simply does not work. It may not have much do with the thickness of the beards, but with other factors.

My beard tends to be ‘bristly’ and to stick straight out. The electric razor lops that off no problem: comfortably and smoothly. Maybe people with a softer beard and/or hair that tends to lay down flat would have a problem; I can see the possibility that an electric razor would pull or ‘chew’ at whiskers like that.

On the other hand, I wonder if using a wet/dry electric razor with shaving cream might be the solution. I know some people do that, and I have tried it myself a few times. Even though it is not necessary for my beard, I did find it very comfortable. You have to use the right sort of shaving cream though: not too thick.

thegeriatric
2009-12-11, 13:57
It takes time for your beard to adjust to electric shaving.

When I changed from foil to rotary, then back to foil, each change took time for my beard to get used to the different type.

ironlung
2009-12-11, 18:29
My facial hair grows like wild fire. Really thick too. I have a five o clock shadow 5 minutes after shaving. Yeah I am exaggerating a little bit, but still. I have tried a bunch of different electric shavers. A Braun rep even swore to me that his latest shaver (can't remember which one) will be perfect for my beard type. Nope. Returned it.

I use a gillette mach 3 on a consistent basis. Tried the four razors stuff too, the quattro and the fusion: in both cases they did a piss poor job compared to the mach 3. I think it is because the gap between the blades are so small, that my thick hair just doesn't get cut by the individual blades. Anyway, if some one here has a recommendation for me I'd gladly try it out. It sucks to shave every day. My girl friend insists on it.

torifile
2009-12-11, 20:23
I went top shelf with the shaver I bought. The Braun series 7 790cc. It was freakin' expensive so it better do a good job. I'll post back with my impressions. They've got a 60 money back guarantee so I figured it would either work as good or better than a razor or I'd take it back.

If it works as advertised, it won't save me money for a couple of years but it'll save me some grief from my family and co-workers.

pscates2.0
2009-12-11, 20:29
Hope it goes better than the Droid. :p

EDIT: Holy crap, I just checked the price of the Braun 790cc. For two clams, it had better shave a damn asphalt road! And give you a handjob afterwards. :eek:

Good luck. Holy hell...I'm not that demanding or particular about some facial hair. :D

torifile
2009-12-11, 21:41
Hope it goes better than the Droid. :p

EDIT: Holy crap, I just checked the price of the Braun 790cc. For two clams, it had better shave a damn asphalt road! And give you a handjob afterwards. :eek:

Good luck. Holy hell...I'm not that demanding or particular about some facial hair. :D
Yeah. Well a couple days growth does get in the way of *ahem* things. :lol:

I've got a thick beard and sensitive skin. A tough combo.

joveblue
2009-12-12, 03:11

Oh please, that's nothing (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ES-LA93-K-Vortex-Mens-Shaver/dp/B002N5MHLK/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1260605386&sr=1-14). ;)

Mugge
2009-12-12, 05:21
I use a Phillips Speed-XL. And I don't think this particular model will be good for you, torifile. It does give a nice shave but that three head design isn't good at coping with heavy beard growth. If I skip a day, it takes me twice as much effort to shave the day after. And the trimmer does not cut short enough for the shaving heads to take the rest without some unnecessary effort.

Not that I'm bashing it. It's a good machine, but only for standard beard.

joveblue
2009-12-12, 09:18
I've got a cheap Philips too. Not sure on the exact model but it was about $60. Saves me a lot of effort over using a razor and works well enough on my piss-weak facial hair. I'll probably have to upgrade in a few years. For now though I love it. :)

ironlung
2009-12-14, 15:31
I went top shelf with the shaver I bought. The Braun series 7 790cc. It was freakin' expensive so it better do a good job. I'll post back with my impressions. They've got a 60 money back guarantee so I figured it would either work as good or better than a razor or I'd take it back.

If it works as advertised, it won't save me money for a couple of years but it'll save me some grief from my family and co-workers.

From the reviews on amazon it seems this would work for thick beards. Please post your impressions soon!

Edit: can you please post a picture of how thick your facial hair is? Thanks

Chinney
2009-12-20, 13:58
Hey torifile, how did that shaver work out?

torifile
2009-12-20, 23:04
So far so good. I've skipped a day shaving on a couple of occasions and that type of growth would ordinarily be a blood bath for me with a razor - I have no idea why - and it's been smooth both times. I haven't shaved at all this weekend so I'll see how it does on the third day.

But overall, I've been pretty impressed. Not as close as a razor but much less irritation. It does still, inexplicably, miss a few hairs on my cheeks and neck but I just let go of that. Unless you're really close to my face, you probably wouldn't know it.

And now to ugly up the thread a bit:

http://www.applenova.com/community/images/_originals/torifile.jpg?20081113221427

The problem with most electrics is that my hair tends to curl into the skin on my face so it requires some pressure and going against the grain to actually even cut it and they don't seem to do well with that type of hair. This one seems much better thus far.

torifile
2009-12-21, 14:15
The shaver is still impressing me. No irritation and a pretty smooth shave this morning. So far, thumbs up!

Chinney
2009-12-21, 16:36
Good to hear Torifile. I’m glad that it has worked out for you. For the odd stray hair ‘left standing’ just use the long hair trimmer, and then go over it with the regular electric shaving head. That takes about 20 seconds, right at the end. In any event, missing a spot also can happen with a blade, although the reason for it and ultimate effect is a bit different.

Chinney
2013-03-29, 14:51
My Panasonic electric shaver gave out a couple of weeks ago, so I had to buy a new shaver. I had two Panasonic models over the last 10 years and was fairly happy with them. I especially liked the first one, which was the top of the line model at the time. I cheaped out a bit on the second one, and bought the second-tier Panasonic, and was not quite as happy with it. I go back to my recommendation earlier in this thread to buy top of the line. When it comes to shavers, it does make a difference.

The one thing that none of my electric shavers has done all that well is the neck part of the beard. My neck hairs lay down flat and can be difficult to get at. After reading some reviews, I saw a lot of recommendations for the latest generation of Phillips rotary shavers - the 3D SensoTouch line - so I decided to give it a try. I have been very pleased. It is the first shaver that has easily taken care of the neck part of the beard, while doing the rest very well also. Another feature is that it is much quieter than any other electric shaver that I have had.

PB PM
2013-03-29, 17:39
Good to hear, I have the same problem with neck hair. :( My electric shaver, a Panasonic, is now well over 10 years old, but I have been thinking of replacing it. When it comes to this stuff I generally go by the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" moto, but it is showing it's age. The battery doesn't hold a charge very well anymore (shocking I know), so it's time is coming.

turtle
2013-03-29, 20:44
Which model did you end up actually getting? I'm in dire need of a new one. I've been using Norelco cordless for about 7 years now. I've also only replaced the heads on it a few times. :o Anyway, I'm considering a newer one but may only need new heads instead.

Chinney
2013-03-29, 21:09
Hi Turtle,

This is the exact model that I bought:

http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/Products/500x500/101/10146/10146382.jpg

Model details here: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/philips-philips-arcitec-3d-sensotouch-shaver-rq-1250-rq1250-17/10146382.aspx

It is a bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

I hope that you and Freewell are doing fine. I think about you often and the difficult year that you must have had last year.

turtle
2013-03-29, 21:31
I didn't realize Norelco was a Phillips product. This is the model (http://www.amazon.com/Norelco-Spectra-Limited-Automatic-Charging/dp/B000068PBJ) I'm considering replacing.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CFNKH9CCL._SY450_.jpg
The reviews all rave about it as much as I used to. My charge still holds for a really long time. Makes me consider new heads again after reading the reviews. I know it wasn't cheap, likely about as much as the one you posted.

About us, we are doing awesome! Clean bill of health BTW! Still going through the treatment for longterm (2 years total) with a much easier drug. Thanks to low LDH numbers means good news for us!

Chinney
2013-03-30, 09:33
Yes, as it turns out, Norelco is just (or at least has been) the brand name that Philips has used in the USA. Explanation from Wiki:

From the early 1940s, Philco was legally able to prevent Philips from using the name "Philips" on any products marketed in the USA, because the two names were judged to sound similar and that it may cause litigation. As a result, Philips instead used the name Norelco, an acronym for "North American Philips [electrical] Company." Philips continued to use that name for all their US products until 1974, when Philips purchased The Magnavox Company. Philips then relabeled their US consumer electronics products to the Magnavox name, but retained the Norelco name for their other US products. When Philips bought Philco in 1981, Philips was able to freely use the Philips name for all of their US products, but they chose to retain the Norelco name for personal care appliances, and the Magnavox name for economy-priced consumer electronics.

One reason for retaining the Norelco name for personal care appliances was that a shift to the Philips name could have alienated those US buyers who were reluctant to purchase foreign brands. The market share of Philips, a European company, was very low in the US compared to other countries; with their Norelco and Magnavox brands, they were able to get a larger market share.

Eventually, to improve Philips brand recognition in the USA, Philips began branding their shavers "Philips Norelco" in 2005. The Philips Norelco co-branding will allow for an eventual phase out of the Norelco name in favor of the Philips name.

Anyway, if your older shaver is still great, but just needs a new shaving head, then you should get that replaced. I know that for the shaver I just bought Philips recommends replacing the head every two years. I don't know how necessary that actually is, or if it is just Philips 'recommending' that Philips earn higher profits. :p Presumably, though, those shaving heads do eventually wear out. When did you last replace yours?

turtle
2013-03-30, 10:40
Well, it's been so long that I can't recall when it happened. So it's certainly time to change them out. I'm going to head out and get some today.

turtle
2014-11-22, 20:44
So, I ended up getting a new razor! However I can't open it until Christmas. :p

Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D with NT 9110 Trimmer
http://turtle2472.com/an/sensotouch.jpg (http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/1255X_44/sensotouch-3d-3-level-battery-display/overview)

I'm looking forward to see how it shaves.

Chinney
2015-04-14, 18:06
I've had the same model - minus the trimmer - for more than 2 years now, and have been very happy with it. Philips (Norelco) suggests that you replace the shaving head every year, but I have gone 2 years on the initial parts without noticing any real deterioration in shaving quality.