PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about picking up an eReader..

kieran
2010-01-11, 14:36
...and no, I won't buy one until after the 27th. :)

I've been meaning to get back into a reading groove since I graduated but haven't gotten serious about it. I was looking at books to read next and there are a lot out there that I want to read.

I was immediately interested in the Kindle when it came out, but didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on something like that at the time.

Now that I'm in a stable full-time (grown up) job, and didn't really splurge on myself for Christmas, I'm thinking about picking one up.

The Kindle looks nice, and it's obviously backed by Amazon, so there is plenty of selection. However, the nook from Barnes & Noble looks really nice as well.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these? I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two, but want to hear first hand reviews from people I trust, so I came here.

Robo
2010-01-11, 14:47
I like the design of the Nook more but it can get sloooow. They released a software update to speed things up but it is still slower than the Kindle.

I'd go with the Kindle. Thinner, more popular and hey -- unlimited free web browsing.

Capella
2010-01-11, 17:51
I own a Kindle and have handled a Nook. I don't like the Nook's touchscreen; when I'm trying to select books, sometimes it doesn't get it right; I don't know if that's me, or it. (I mistype on my iPhone a lot.) But I can vouch 100% for the Kindle. It turns very fast, and even a reader like me, who can tear through a book in hours, is barely distracted by it. The Nook turns slower. The 3G is nice- I have an older model, not the new one with I think AT&T- but to be totally truthful, I almost never use it. I mean, I have an iPhone for web browsing, thanks. But I can see it being handy in a pinch. Also, I love the Amazon store; there's very little I want they don't have. Despite looking weird, the hardware keyboard works fine for browsing for and selecting books.

Some people have said they prefer to go with Barnes and Noble because they have a membership with them or just prefer to buy their paper and ebooks from the same store. I think that's a valid point to consider.

I'd say go with the Kindle, but in the end, weigh the hardware, weigh the store, and go with what you like. Nothing can beat hands-on experience with either, but happy reading, either way :)

Bryson
2010-01-11, 17:58
My brother loves his Sony 303. I haven't played with it too much yet, but he has nothing but good things to say about it. The 600 in the stores (with touchscreen) also looks very nice.

bmorley
2010-01-11, 18:38
I'll add another positive experience with the Kindle. I initially got mine more out of gadget curiosity than anything else, but have found that I quite enjoy its form factor and readability. I still tend to go to the library first, but I find I miss the ease of use of the Kindle when reading a paperback or hardcover. It's very comfortable in the hands and the refresh isn't bothersome at all.

The 'experimental' web browsing is nice in a pinch but navigation is somewhat cumbersome with the joystick (though I was able to use it as my electronic boarding pass when my iPod touch tried refreshing it's page at the airport and lost the information :p).

kieran
2010-01-12, 08:32
I like the design of the Nook more but it can get sloooow. They released a software update to speed things up but it is still slower than the Kindle.

I'd go with the Kindle. Thinner, more popular and hey -- unlimited free web browsing.

Web browsing isn't a concern, I have my iPhone for that.

I'm going to go to a B&N this week and try out the nook for myself. I've played with a Kindle for a little while, so I'll be able to compare the two.

I own a Kindle and have handled a Nook. I don't like the Nook's touchscreen; when I'm trying to select books, sometimes it doesn't get it right; I don't know if that's me, or it. (I mistype on my iPhone a lot.) But I can vouch 100% for the Kindle. It turns very fast, and even a reader like me, who can tear through a book in hours, is barely distracted by it. The Nook turns slower. The 3G is nice- I have an older model, not the new one with I think AT&T- but to be totally truthful, I almost never use it. I mean, I have an iPhone for web browsing, thanks. But I can see it being handy in a pinch. Also, I love the Amazon store; there's very little I want they don't have. Despite looking weird, the hardware keyboard works fine for browsing for and selecting books.

Some people have said they prefer to go with Barnes and Noble because they have a membership with them or just prefer to buy their paper and ebooks from the same store. I think that's a valid point to consider.

I'd say go with the Kindle, but in the end, weigh the hardware, weigh the store, and go with what you like. Nothing can beat hands-on experience with either, but happy reading, either way :)

I'll definitely have to go and take a look at each store and see who has a better selection to fit my tastes. Gotta try them both out and see which one I like better.

Happy reading to you as well. :)

My brother loves his Sony 303. I haven't played with it too much yet, but he has nothing but good things to say about it. The 600 in the stores (with touchscreen) also looks very nice.

Didn't really look into other e-readers. I was only looking at the Kindle and nook really. How well does that integrate with Amazon and B&N?

I'll add another positive experience with the Kindle. I initially got mine more out of gadget curiosity than anything else, but have found that I quite enjoy its form factor and readability. I still tend to go to the library first, but I find I miss the ease of use of the Kindle when reading a paperback or hardcover. It's very comfortable in the hands and the refresh isn't bothersome at all.

The 'experimental' web browsing is nice in a pinch but navigation is somewhat cumbersome with the joystick (though I was able to use it as my electronic boarding pass when my iPod touch tried refreshing it's page at the airport and lost the information :p).

I was going to pick up a first-gen Kindle just out of curiosity, as you did, but didn't have the funds. (Broke college student) Now, I can get one and really try it out.

I'm going to be travelling a bit for work this upcoming year and something like this would make it a whole lot easier to carry books with me during my travels, rather than actually carrying books.

I also might be able to pick up a first-gen Kindle from a friend who doesn't use it at all for nothing. If that's the case, i'll use that and see how I like it. If that's good enough, I'll stick with that. If I'm looking for something a bit more, i'll upgrade to a newer model.

torifile
2010-01-12, 15:24
Can you email "books" to the nook? I ask because I've been using Instapaper to tag articles that are too long to comfortably read on my iPhone. The site/app saves the article/page and emails it to my Kindle on a user-specified schedule. I find it's much more pleasant to read longer stuff on the Kindle and it makes the Kindle more useful than reading just books.

IMHO, I think Apple would do well to buy Instapaper for the Tablet. It's that cool of a service.

kieran
2010-01-12, 16:04
That's an awesome use Tori. Didn't know that was possible.

I haven't really gotten into using Instapaper, but if I pick up a Kindle, that's definitely something to look into

zsummers
2010-02-04, 15:42
What's the prevailing wisdom on Kindle prices? Do they come down at all? I actually see the value in the standalone eReader, though I want an iPad for other purposes.

Will the DX at least drop in price? I have to say that I'm most interested in it.

And how many folks are considering selling off their Kindles? I may hold on to see if I can pick one up in the rush to fund peoples iPad purchases through eBay.

zippy
2010-02-04, 15:51
I can't imagine that the prices won't drop - but they may wait until the iPad is actually available.

I too still see a reason for dedicated eReaders - backcountry, out to sea, or otherwise away from electricity for longer than a day or so.

PB PM
2010-02-04, 16:26
There is a lot of talk about prices on ebooks going up, not down.

torifile
2010-02-04, 17:18
There is a lot of talk about prices on ebooks going up, not down.
eBooks might go up in price, but readers will likely fall. The iPad has established a ceiling for cost and it's got a big honking color touch screen padding around it. The kindle DX will get cheaper. Or it's completely dead.

I also think that ebooks will get cheaper longer term. "We'll make it up on volume" actually works for digital distribution. Once the iPad goes mainstream, they'll get cheaper.

Robo
2010-02-04, 18:32
What's the prevailing wisdom on Kindle prices? Do they come down at all? I actually see the value in the standalone eReader, though I want an iPad for other purposes.

Will the DX at least drop in price? I have to say that I'm most interested in it.

And how many folks are considering selling off their Kindles? I may hold on to see if I can pick one up in the rush to fund peoples iPad purchases through eBay.

The Kindle DX was due for a price adjustment even without the iPad. With the iPad, I think we might see a larger than normal price drop. $199 for the Kindle and $399 for the Kindle DX within a few months wouldn't surprise me.

I'm still planning on replacing my (dead :() ebook reader, even though I'm buying an iPad. I read enough to make it worth it.

Maciej
2010-02-04, 18:55
I never understood why the DX is so much more expensive. Are the components so much more, the eInk that expensive when its large, or are they trying to gouge the edu market? I don't get it.

Robo
2010-02-04, 20:01
I never understood why the DX is so much more expensive. Are the components so much more, the eInk that expensive when its large, or are they trying to gouge the edu market? I don't get it.

E Ink displays of that size are very expensive. There's a price curve, sort of like AMOLED, since there really hasn't been economies of scale to drive those sizes of screens down. The E Ink display is already the most expensive component of the regular Kindle.