PDA

View Full Version : Fed Beer To My Keyboard

scrouds
2010-01-22, 11:23
Well I decided to feed some beer to my keyboard, and am now shopping for a new one. What are some of the better keyboards out there? I was looking at the apple ones, they look the same as my mom's macbook and that's a decent one.

But am I missing some other good ones out there? Any recommendations?

Yontsey
2010-01-22, 11:28
I have a bluetooth alum Apple keyboard and I love it. Has a great feel to it while typing. I wish the battery life was a tad better but it's satisfactory. I wish they had a bt one that had a number pad.

Do you want wireless or wired or does it not matter?

Wyatt
2010-01-22, 11:41
The Apple keyboards without the number pad have the same key layout as the MacBook and MacBook Pro keyboards, so they're great if you're already used to that layout. I use the wired version at work, and I love it.

curiousuburb
2010-01-22, 11:56
Wait.... are you looking for a beer (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1043937/intel-invents-beer-proof-laptop) proof (http://www.jr.com/adesso/pe/AEO_AKB210/) keyboard (http://www.sealshield.com/)?

Did the keyboard at least buy the next round? :p

scrouds
2010-01-22, 14:12
Haha, it actally drank the last of my sam adams octoberfest. Oh well. I'm not really looking for a beer proof keyboard, although I did see them going for as little as $10 in windows labeled keys.

I'm more looking for something that's good to type on. I had a macally before this and it continually disappointed me, but I was too cheap to replace a working keyboard. I'd also rather get wired, because I have a kvm to switch a mouse and keyboard, and re-pairing the bluetooth keyboard might not be great.

I did a search here and saw references to the happy hacker lite and the matias tactile keyboards as well as the macally icekey. Not really sure about the macally, I've known them for really cheap shoddy products, but any input on the tactile and hacker ones? I kinda like the hacker's small footprint

Ryan
2010-01-24, 17:43
I've been using a Macally iceKey for years with no problems. It's a pretty well-built keyboard.

PB PM
2010-01-24, 18:38
I'll second the iceKey, but one of my keys finally broke after 5 years.

scrouds
2010-01-25, 10:47
Well I tried to go with the Apple wired keyboard and I got 2 bad ones at bestbuy, so I think I'm done with the apple hardware. I might have to check out the icekey, looks good.

Iago
2010-01-25, 11:39
Well I tried to go with the Apple wired keyboard and I got 2 bad ones at bestbuy, so I think I'm done with the apple hardware. I might have to check out the icekey, looks good.

Statistically it's pretty unlikely that you'd get two bad ones in a row, so I wouldn't write off an entire brand just yet because of one coincidence.

alcimedes
2010-01-25, 11:39
Take your old keyboard and put it in the top rack of your dishwasher, run it through a cycle. Leave it out to dry for at least 4-5 days.

Fire it up, good as new.

scrouds
2010-01-25, 16:53
Take your old keyboard and put it in the top rack of your dishwasher, run it through a cycle. Leave it out to dry for at least 4-5 days.

Fire it up, good as new.

I'd try that out, but I don't have a dishwasher. Can I soak it?

Iago
2010-01-25, 17:02
I'd try that out, but I don't have a dishwasher. Can I soak it?

I'd try hosing instead. Presumably soaking will flood everything inside the keyboard, whereas the dishwasher will just jet wash the surface, a little of the insides, and steam it.

alcimedes
2010-01-25, 17:06
You could soak it as well, although if you're going to go that route just swing by the grocery store, pick up a few gallons of distilled water and let it soak.

Won't hurt anything, and as long as it's dry before you give it any more electricity, it should be fine when you fire it back up. Just be sure that it's actually dry before you plug it in. :)

Use distilled water instead of tap water because of all the various minerals in tap water, not good for electronics. If you use tap water and you have a lot of dissolved minerals in your local water, the keyboard will likely have problems down the line. Distilled is safe though.

DMBand0026
2010-01-25, 21:13
I've been using a Macally iceKey for years with no problems. It's a pretty well-built keyboard.

Another vote for the iceKey. I've been using mine for many years and other than a little discoloration on the keys (it's a white keyboard) it has been rock solid.

scrouds
2010-01-26, 09:01
Alright thanks for the advice. I ordered the icekey, and that will arrive before I the old keyboard would even dry.

scrouds
2010-01-27, 18:46
Icekey arrived today. I love it, better then the aluminum apple one. Thanks everyone!