PDA

View Full Version : Marc's Mac, not such a great start - need mac apps

!Marc!
2010-02-20, 08:00
well today, after a few weeks of deliberation, I decided it was time for a mini, - I had played about with a hackintosh for a few days, but it wasn't cutting it....

so I go off to get the mini, hoping to get the 320gb 4gb 2.5ish specced one, but alas noone has one - so I settle for the entry level model, which imo is probably going to be ok for iphone development....

so, Ive wired it all in, set me up as a user with a "really god damn easy password i'll never forget"...make a hint which is the same as the fucking password...

...the first thing I always do with a new install of anything is go through the preferences and set them up as I like...so I get to Security and it askes me for a password to turn on the firewall...so I type in my really god damn simple password that I only set 5 minutes ago, and it rejects it...:mad: It bloody rejects it!!!!

So, I press this button that says that if you have the osx installation disk you can reset your password....so I dig it out, pop it in the drive and I flick through the options as described until I come to 'reset'....and it asks me for the damn password again....which it promptly rejects...:mad: :mad:

so I think, fuck this, I wanted to set up a dual boot mini anyway (and sell the collection of PC's), so lets install the OS from scratch....

now, all goes well, I remember from my G4 days that if you press C on startup you boot from CD, so I press C, and boot - after a while I get the options, but there seems to be no option to partition the drive, so I just plow on, and after a while it tells me 44 minutes to go - that was like 15 minutes ago, and now its still on 40 minutes...

Man this sucks...and boy is that DVD drive a noisy thing...

But anyway, as Im new to OSX, when I get this trainwreck up and running again, where do I need to go/look to get Xcode installed, what do I need to start developing iPhone apps, and what is the essential software that any mac needs, I recall I used to use Graphic Convertor, but thats about it.

I guess its a good idea to learn the terminal too, any good entry-level sites you know of for this?

!Marc!
2010-02-20, 08:32
oh fucking joy, not only has it spent over an hour supposedly reinstalling OSX, it has rather annoyingly 'remembered' the details I supplied on first run, including the password it rejects.

Great, now ive got a fucked mac, and a big fucking problem.

!Marc!
2010-02-20, 08:48
problem solved, stupid keyboard settings....obviously a ` is not a ` under some settings. Bollocks, :lol:

well I found xcode while I was being screwed around!

Mugge
2010-02-20, 09:18
Good for you!

Pro tip: Use the shift keys to capitalise letters. It's the ones with the hollow up arrow on either side of the text keyboard, second row from below.

;)

!Marc!
2010-02-20, 09:35
now ive got a dvd stuck in the drive, and cant get it out, unfortunately worse its an XP install disk - as I was trying bootcamp, and now i've really got a problem as it keeps trying to load windows install, which is something I dont want under the settings I originally chose.

I get the option to either boot windows or nothing, and cant get back into OSX. Fuck again!

chucker
2010-02-20, 09:38
now ive got a dvd stuck in the drive, and cant get it out, unfortunately worse its an XP install disk - as I was trying bootcamp, and now i've really got a problem as it keeps trying to load windows install, which is something I dont want under the settings I originally chose.

I get the option to either boot windows or nothing, and cant get back into OSX. Fuck again!

Hold the mouse button when booting to eject the disc.
Hold the option key when booting to get a menu, then select your desired startup disk.
Be less negative.

!Marc!
2010-02-20, 09:42
Good for you!

Pro tip: Use the shift keys to capitalise letters. It's the ones with the hollow up arrow on either side of the text keyboard, second row from below.

;)

you might think it funny or me dim, but if FIRST OSX asks me for 'root' password - which it does, and AFTER that tells me that it doesn't recognise my keyboard, so can I please press the '\' key to identify it - and then remaps my keyboard so that the keys are different, and now my root password doesn't work - I think Ive got right to be pissed off.

Then telling me I can reset my password by inserting the OSX disc, and refusing to reset until after I type in the password....What a sad joke!

!Marc!
2010-02-20, 09:47
Hold the mouse button when booting to eject the disc.
Hold the option key when booting to get a menu, then select your desired startup disk.
Be less negative.

Looked on net with other computer -- holding down mouse button tried - didn't work, :mad: :p

on third attempt my XP install has decided to go, after telling me it was 'disc error' , waiting now to see what happens.

Id like to be less negative, but I thought switching back to mac, would eliminate the kinds of shit - really, remapping the keyboard AFTER asking for root password! Shame on Apple!!!:lol:

!Marc!
2010-02-21, 06:43
Day2:

Finally almost working as expected, downloaded iPhone dev tools for SnowLeopard, connected to XP network - the mac didn't like my wired DSL modem so for now have to turn on the PC to get net access on the mac.

Still hav a keyboard problem though, keys not in right place....blagged a MS curve keyboard when buying mini, the mac knows what it is, but for some reason yet to be discovered, hasn't mapped keys correctly...and its a horrible keyboard anyway.

!Marc!
2010-02-21, 07:54
Heres how you do it! I was just about to rush out and buy another keyboard to test before I blew my top!

Congrats Apple, obviously never bothered to test a standard UK keyboard in a mac they advertised as 'bring your own'.

http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2005/11/20/using_a_british.php

Thanks to the people above, at least day late, I have my mini up and running correctly...xCode here i come...hopefully :lol: :no:

curiousuburb
2010-02-21, 18:18
Pro tip: Olympic-grade impatience and half-cocked overreactions are rarely helpful. See PEBKAC

Moving to a new OS, you bizarrely chose to use special characters for critical system functions (despite those being most frequently subject to remapping on many keyboards). :err:
Hidden any files or directories by .name lately?
Regularly bork DOSWIN by .how.I.like.it file extensions?
Write buggy code due to |¢¢™ $?£||ZØ®z or <--personalized // punctuation/habits/? :p
You can't always make your own rules, nor should you assume the rules of one OS are the same as another. Don't blame the OS.

But fair enough you might not know not to use special characters. Or how to compensate for unmapped kb layout in emergencies.

Rather than ask here patiently, where -if you explain clearly (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=861)- we might have clued you to solutions (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=24) or replied with specific tips (kb remapping), within an hour you jump straight to nuke and pave. :|

Then you seemingly can't find Disk Utility on the OS X CD for formatting/partitioning, but rather than ask or check our FAQ...
Then you install an identical config and somehow expect a different solution. :wtf:

Points for figuring out a workaround within the hour... but then an hour later you interrupt a WindowsXP install process and it's toys out of the pram again.

Chucker provides excellent advice as usual, and we have more than a few UK users who have no problems with UK keyboards.
None of this would have happened if you'd set your password to PEBKAC instead of special characters. :p

It is possible you don't need a new kb as much as you need a chill pill before approaching one. ;)

But if you hate the Curve, lower-stress alternative kbs are plentiful.

drewprops
2010-02-21, 23:08
:lol:

'Burb's admonitions are entirely fair; I thought that Marc had started live-blogging the install for awhile there!! Figured I'd stay out of it to see what happened. Congratulations on getting it set up Marc, hope that you'll really have fun tearing into things now!!

(should this have actually been in Genius Bar?)

!Marc!
2010-02-22, 12:31
The above has gone right over my head....:D - seems like someone is more angry than me, perhaps my misfortunes offended someone. :lol:

Day 3: i have written my first app in xcode and IB, its a little button in a window that goes 'ting' when I press it, and says, 'screw Apple'...

seriously. :)

Back to work...

!Marc!
2010-02-22, 14:36
hey, ive found a repeatable bug on my SnowLeopard.

- Approach the orange window minimise button diagonally from the right very slowly - (this is in Aqua color scheme not Graphite)
- as soon as the minus sign appears but when the mouse pointer is not inside the round bit of the button, click the left button
- rapidly move the pointer inside the button and click

On my setup nothing happens, the button is simply not working...of course, I am not using an Apple Mouse, so I suspect that this might be one of the 'suprises' they leave you if you dont 'conform' to their desires...

Anyone else get this?

drewprops
2010-02-22, 16:33
Let me try....
Yup!
Totally works!

You're suceeding at pretending to be a douchebag!! :lol:

what's your goal? What sort of apps do you normally code, or are you just learning general principles?