PDA

View Full Version : Cheap N Router?

Capella
2010-02-22, 17:33
So apparently my AT&T provided 2wire modem/router abomination is well known to play badly with Macs. And by "play badly", I mean kick the Mac off the connection every 5-10 minutes. And, often, crash the entire connection as well. Other computers can access the net, but the Mac can't. I could link at least 10 complaints here, including ones on Apple's support site. 2wire admits to a problem by providing instructions for how to supposedly cure it, but they don't work. I've installed all the most recent updates to everything, switched to OpenDNS, and turned off IPv6. Nothing fixes it.

From what the internet seems to be telling me, the way of fixing it is to buy a separate router, put the modem into bridge mode, and hope it works. I called AT&T, who tried to claim it was my wireless card. When I told them it worked in Windows, they suggested I stay booted into Windows. I tried to get them to replace the 2wire, and they said since there was no proof it was their modem, I'd have to pay $60 to get a new one from them. I do not think so.

So now I am looking to obtain a new router, preferably N. I don't want to spend over $60 if I can help it, because I'm currently unemployed and living off savings, but I'd probably be willing to go up to $80 if there really isn't anything reasonable. I need to be able to use my Mac on the Internet! The current situation is intolerable.

So what should I be getting?

joveblue
2010-02-23, 06:44
When I told them it worked in Windows, they suggested I stay booted into Windows.:lol: What wonderfully helpful advice.

I tried to get them to replace the 2wire, and they said since there was no proof it was their modem, I'd have to pay $60 to get a new one from them.There must be some proof? A delivery document? A copy of the contract? A receipt? Surely even if you don't have any documentation, they must have something somewhere proving it. You could perhaps take it to an ombudsman or small claims tribunal of some sort? Don't stand for getting ripped off like that! If they've provided a wireless modem that doesn't provide the function it's supposed to you shouldn't have to fork out for a new one.

Capella
2010-02-23, 14:56
I think they meant there was no proof that their modem didn't work with a Mac. I offered to email them a list of complaint links (again, from Apple's site and more) and the woman said, basically, that didn't count as conclusive proof because they had no complaints in their system.

addison
2010-02-23, 22:50
Do a search on Slickdeals. You are bound to find something. I picked up a recertified Netgear 3500 a while back from Newegg that has worked fine and was only $30. They also have a lot of cheaper Asus routers which people who are into DD-WRT and Tomato seem to like.