PDA

View Full Version : eMac discontinued?

supermegatron
2005-01-16, 17:40
Apple stores are getting huge shipments of emacs. We got 70 at short pump are whole back room is nearly filled up with them. My manager said we weren't going to get anymore of them and that we needed to push these out the door. We have virtually no iMacs in stock at last count we had 10 in the back no 17' models. No mac mini's have come in yet but a boatload of mice and keyboards have. The mac mini is going to replace the eMac on the floor starting Feb. We will have them setup on the floor near the kids area and the ipod shuffle will be in a glass display near the floor to. The goal is to have them at eye level for kids.

Luca
2005-01-16, 17:51
Well, discontinuing the eMac would eliminate CRTs from Apple's lineup entirely. But on the other hand, what's to say we won't simply see a newly updated eMac? Maybe that's why they're shipping out a lot more - they've stopped making the current ones and will announce updated ones soon.

Franz Josef
2005-01-16, 18:01
Well, discontinuing the eMac would eliminate CRTs from Apple's lineup entirely. But on the other hand, what's to say we won't simply see a newly updated eMac? Maybe that's why they're shipping out a lot more - they've stopped making the current ones and will announce updated ones soon.

Would have thought eMacs still fundamental to educational market - so an upgrade looks likely. Hard to see them being replaced by Mac minis. The mini is targeted at switchers who own keyboards and screens already.

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-16, 18:01
Hearing you just mention the "kids' area" (a staple feature of larger Apple Stores) reaffirms my belief that the eMac will not be leaving Apple's line-up any time soon. This is because IMO the eMac is the only Mac robust enough, with necessary power (and no more) and at an appropriate cost to be a kids' computer.

thegelding
2005-01-16, 18:08
plus are schools gonna like the mac mini if one of schools concerns is theft...and why they like the eMac...big and heavy...

the mac mini could fit in any kids backpack

g

MCQ
2005-01-16, 18:23
They still sold a little over 110,000 eMacs last quarter, which is a respectable number... not sure that they'd just discontinue the line. An update would do it well though.

Kickaha
2005-01-16, 18:37
They may limit the eMac back to what it was originally, education market only. It would also allow them to optimize the design and specs for edu labs again, instead of trying to make it bridge the edu/consumer divide.

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-16, 18:48
They may limit the eMac back to what it was originally, education market only. It would also allow them to optimize the design and specs for edu labs again, instead of trying to make it bridge the edu/consumer divide.

Hmm... sounds plausible. However, recent purchasers (110,000, no less) might feel aggrieved that their Mac was effectively being EOL'd.

Kickaha
2005-01-16, 18:52
Soooooo, that means they suddenly stop working? Nope. It doesn't affect them one way or another that I see.

Also, how many of those 110k units were consumer, and how many edu? Is there a breakdown for that?

morningstarrising
2005-01-16, 20:49
This sounds more like when they push out the iMac G4....then had to say they didn't have the iMac G5 ready and would not have any iMac at all...

MCQ
2005-01-16, 21:11
Also, how many of those 110k units were consumer, and how many edu? Is there a breakdown for that?

No breakdown was given during the conference call, though I'd guess a large chunk was edu purchases.

thequicksilver
2005-01-17, 14:03
plus are schools gonna like the mac mini if one of schools concerns is theft...and why they like the eMac...big and heavy...

the mac mini could fit in any kids backpack

g

Obviously true, but don't forget that the mini has the Kensington security lock slot.

Mugge
2005-01-17, 14:16
Heard of a Leatherman? ;)

IonYz
2005-01-17, 17:08
Heard of a Leatherman? ;)

Yeah, but didn't I hear that iBooks were also popular in schools? Not as computer lab machines you'd leave out all day. Then ANY laptop is fair game as they would all have a similar locking mechanism.

If they are redesigning the machine, think of acoustics por favor? Thats all I ask. If the machine is going back to EDU, all the better since it would be rightfully "returning home". But then other posters have made a good point that there would be a void between the Mini and the iMac.

... until they release the Power Mac mini for $999. Haha... ok, I'll stop. :p

thegelding
2005-01-17, 18:39
iBooks are assigned to students...it is "theirs" for a set period of time and they take it with them and use it or it is signed out...

for a computer just sitting at a desk and used by different students for different tasks and classes, most schools want something hard to "lift" in more ways than one

g

IonYz
2005-01-17, 20:34
iBooks are assigned to students...it is "theirs" for a set period of time and they take it with them and use it or it is signed out...

for a computer just sitting at a desk and used by different students for different tasks and classes, most schools want something hard to "lift" in more ways than one

g

Fair enough, the fact that any huge-ass computer is a deterrent to casual theft is apparent. But outside of education there is less a need for this computer. Sure its a great young kids computer, ok. But I'd wager if a breakdown in eMac sales between education and consumers was visible more would be for education or at least less for "its a young kids computer".

The eMac _was_ the only option for budget desktop users. But its design needs a refresh. If apple wants to keep it at the weight of a child, then so be it. Lord knows their Power Mac could stand to go on a diet ;)

Ed Rooney
2005-01-17, 22:02
I think they blew it with the Mac Mini. There is such a thing as too small. The eMac should be the $499 machine.

Advanced computer users like to pick their own components. New buyers want everything included.

IonYz
2005-01-17, 22:16
I think they blew it with the Mac Mini. There is such a thing as too small. The eMac should be the $499 machine.

Advanced computer users like to pick their own components. New buyers want everything included.

Apple can never get it right, eh? Their either ignorant to power users and bundle needless keyboards, mice and flat panels with their products (iMac G5). Or stab the newbies by not offering the same (Mac mini). :confused:

The eMac may have been, except it was never designed to be that cheap. Its costs to manufacturer (this is iMac G4 deja vu all over again) are too high to hit $500. The Power Mac G5, in turn, is too expensive too offer at $999. Apple needed a computer stripped of anything they could to hit a price point. Aiming it at switchers allows the "we don't need to bundle jack with it" philosophy they settled on the Mini.

I was surprised this machine ever came out of Cupertino, but that is never enough for some I suppose. :err:

Ed Rooney
2005-01-18, 08:56
Well, they could at least sell a 15" LCD in their store to go with the Mini. At least offer an option. Everyone who buys a mini is going to go directly to the Dell site and get a $250 17" LCD.

Me? I have a celeron 500 allinone with usb keyboards and mouse. Unfortunately I don't own a display.

Luca
2005-01-18, 09:20
Yeah, it would actually be nice if they sold non-Apple monitors with the mini as BTO options. I know they used to do this with the PowerMacs - you could order an Apple LCD, or a Mitsubishi 17" or 21" CRT. But I don't think they need to sell monitors with the mini - the whole point is to use one you already own. And if you don't plan on doing that, you should be... er... knowledgeable enough to, you know, buy a monitor to use with it. What's wrong with buying it from someplace other than Apple? Apple would probably overcharge for it anyway.

IonYz
2005-01-18, 09:32
Apple should offer a widescreen 17" LCD. Their Power Book 12" should be a 13" widescreen. Their iBooks should be able to offer higher then 1024x768 on external displays. Apple should do a lot of things. Its always been that way. [shrugs] :confused:

thegeek
2005-01-18, 10:19
What's wrong with buying it from someplace other than Apple? Apple would probably overcharge for it anyway.

Never underestimate the lazyness of consumers as it can be a boundless source of profit. Throw into the scenario Apple Credit, or some kind of warrantee inducement and they really should be at least selling a 15" panel of some sort.

Ed Rooney
2005-01-18, 20:52
Yeah, it would actually be nice if they sold non-Apple monitors with the mini as BTO options. I know they used to do this with the PowerMacs - you could order an Apple LCD, or a Mitsubishi 17" or 21" CRT. But I don't think they need to sell monitors with the mini - the whole point is to use one you already own. And if you don't plan on doing that, you should be... er... knowledgeable enough to, you know, buy a monitor to use with it. What's wrong with buying it from someplace other than Apple? Apple would probably overcharge for it anyway.

So my $499 just turned into nearly $900 once I buy my keyboard (one without a "Windows" key), mouse and $300 17" LCD w/DVI. I'd be better off with the eMac or a 12" iBook.

Luca
2005-01-18, 20:54
Then buy an eMac or a 12" iBook.

oldmacfan
2005-01-18, 22:16
As the sign says on my desk.

"There will be a $5.00 Charge for Whining"

Ed Rooney ---> Didn't that chick kick your ass at the end of the movie.

WBG4
2005-01-18, 22:40
eMac is needed for education. Maybe they are going to drop it from the public market? That would in a way maybe make sense

IonYz
2005-01-18, 22:54
So my $499 just turned into nearly $900...

Hey we are in the same boat. After adding things up the Mini cost us $900 _before_ the LCD. But a similarly spec'd iMac would have ran $1650 and she didn't want an eMac because of size restraints.

I buy my keyboard (one without a "Windows" key)

There was a while at work that I used a Apple Pro keyboard on a dual processor Win2K workstation. Your trading a Window for an Apple. :\ You don't have to get an Apple keyboard. In fact the current crop of Apple keyboards are not that good anyway.

Luca
2005-01-18, 23:16
Yeah, but if you use a Windows-mapped keyboard on a Mac, the Windows key (which is in the center position of the three keys next to the space bar) is turned into the Command key, and the Alt key (the one nearest the space bar) turns into option. That's flipped compared to the Mac layout. You can use a program like uControl to flip them around, but it's not as nice as just getting a keyboard that works properly out of the box.

Some Windows keyboards, made by the larger companies, have software you can download to program the buttons and remap the keys to use the Mac layout. But those are generally the ones by larger companies, like Logitech and Microsoft. And they tend to not really cost any less than the Apple keyboard.

Logitech is nice though, they actually put both sets of symbols on their keys - both the Windows/Start logo AND the Apple/Command logo.

IonYz
2005-01-18, 23:29
Yeah, but if you use a Windows-mapped keyboard on a Mac, the Windows key (which is in the center position of the three keys next to the space bar) is turned into the Command key, and the Alt key (the one nearest the space bar) turns into option. That's flipped compared to the Mac layout.

Right, and when I used a Mac-mapped keyboard on a PC they were swapped too. It was confusing but at that time I got used to it. Since I had to use Control+alt+del so much... to start Task Manager and Log in, not because of problems :P

supermegatron
2005-01-19, 12:00
The eMac is now gone we got a new floor plan in the powerbooks and ibooks are getting a expanded section the imac is being moved toward and the mac mini is going to be in the featured spot in the front glass windows. We got a new item number for displays to I saw it when I was doing price changes

psmith2.0
2005-01-19, 12:05
What do you mean, exactly, a "new item number for displays"?

- New numbers for the existing three displays?

or

- A "new item number" for a NEW display (ie new low-end 17")? :p

:confused:

Wrao
2005-01-19, 14:11

'Advanced' computer users don't buy bottom rung computers. They either build their own from scratch(something Apple will probably never allow) or they buy more sophisticated and pricey PCs and then upgrade accordingly, when necessary.

The upgrade market for super cheap PCs is kinda whack anyway, because all the components inside the cheap case are cheap that it'd not likely you're going to be throwing in all the latest crap in there, without inevitably replacing things like heatsinks, fans, power supplies, and mobos and by then you might as well have just started from scratch with a better case that would better suit your needs.

.Hack
2005-01-19, 18:26
'Advanced' computer users don't buy bottom rung computers. They either build their own from scratch(something Apple will probably never allow) or they buy more sophisticated and pricey PCs and then upgrade accordingly, when necessary.

The upgrade market for super cheap PCs is kinda whack anyway, because all the components inside the cheap case are cheap that it'd not likely you're going to be throwing in all the latest crap in there, without inevitably replacing things like heatsinks, fans, power supplies, and mobos and by then you might as well have just started from scratch with a better case that would better suit your needs.

well the mac mini costs much less that building your own computer (assuming you build a good one). Plus, I could care less if the mac mini came with a monitor, and most other computer users do too. I mean, if you're switching from windows to mac, you'll probably already have a good keyboard and a good monitor. The mac mini allows the buyer to have choice, and it comes with an adapter so switchers dont have to throw away their LCD monitor they got w/ their dell... really it's a good deal if you think about it.

Ed Rooney
2005-01-19, 21:34
This is purely a theoretical excercise. I already have a 12" Powerbook.

Then buy an eMac or a 12" iBook.