PDA

View Full Version : Digital Signal Processing for Dummies

Kraetos
2010-03-10, 22:49
I'm taking this class called The Physics of Sound and Music and there's a whole chapter in the textbook devoted to computers. For the final project/paper we can do basically anything we want related to sound, so I figured I should probably do something related to computers.

So, my question is, how hard would it be to make a quick and dirty digital signal processor in Java? Something very simple, which takes in a microphone input, and then I figured I would implement the processing algorithm myself, and then it would spit out an AIFF file which could be played back.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just implement a DSP algorithm. Would this be easy? Hard? Somewhere in between?

ezkcdude
2010-03-10, 23:07
Kraetos, believe it or not, we actually share something in common. You could build this audio DAC that I designed:

http://www.ezdiyaudio.com/#ezDAC

However, for the DSP stuff, I would recommend just doing it in Matlab. Once you get the audio in, the rest is easy.

tomoe
2010-03-10, 23:26
What particular DSP algorithm do you want to implement?

I second using Matlab. Has a pretty nice DSP toolbox, with many common algorithms included. However, even if you don't want to use the included functions and implement it yourself (which it sounds like you do), a lot of DSP algorithms are trivially implemented in Matlab.

sunrain
2010-03-11, 13:29
MAX/MSP would also be a good environment to create this.

noleli2
2010-03-11, 18:35
I also suggest MATLAB. If you have access to it at your university, like tomoe said, it can be pretty easy to implement DSP algorithms.