PDA

View Full Version : Dear God..

epicuresquire
2005-01-17, 16:06
I have been a good boy. Please send me OS X for an Intel Machine.

Amen.

Wrao
2005-01-17, 16:12
have you considered the mac mini?

Brad
2005-01-17, 16:23
Speculation and Rumors is not the place for spiritual requests. I'm sure there's a church, parish, temple, mosque, or something like that nearby that can help you. :p

Oh, and native Mac OS X on x86 ain't gonna happen any time soon. This is a subject that has been hashed out a thousand times around the internet over the past five years. I'll copy part of a post I made last year here before closing up this one:

Apple depends on its proprietary hardware sales for the vast majority of its revenue. 'nuf said.

Hardware support. Think thousands of configurations versus a few dozen. From graphics cards to motherboard chipsets, Apple would be completely overwhelmed with providing drivers and, worse, support for all the no-name devices on the market.

Say goodbye to all third party software. At best, any third party software would have to be recompiled and rereleased. At worst, it would have to be completely rewritten from the ground up. Assembly and AltiVec tweaks can't just be magically converted into x86 code. Many developers would rather give up than have to rewrite all of their software for a new architecture.

Piracy. Apple's software licensing has been fairly lax because, again, Apple depends on hardware sales to generate revenue. Apple would likely have to switch to a Microsoftian method of software registration.

Microsoft already has a killer monopoly on x86 hardware. Linux has been around for ten years and people constantly harp about how it will overturn Microsoft's domination. Has it happened despite being completely open and free? Nope! Apple (especially being closed and not free) would be no different.
Now, with the Mac mini as a low-cost entry unit for PC users with Mac envy, there's even less incentive for porting Mac OS X to the x86 architecture.

This horse has been beaten a thousand times already. Let it die.