PDA

View Full Version : Yet another entry-level DSLR thread

kieran
2010-03-26, 14:41
(Didn't want to drag another thread up from the dead)

So I've been thinking about getting a DSLR for a while now, and with a few upcoming trips, I figured now would be a great time to get one.

Not looking for anything incredible, but something that will get me into the game and let me learn so I can trade up in the future if I want to.

Looking to spend around $500-600 on it. I'll worry about getting new lenses and whatnot down the road. Until then, the kit lens will suit me just fine.

Also, looking for one that will allow me to use the LCD to frame the shot. I believe the feature is called "Live Preview?" I know I could use the viewfinder, and I probably will, but I'd like to have the option.

The ability to shoot video would be cool too. I know some of the DSLRs out there can shoot HD, so if I could get one in my price range, I'd like to have that as well.

I've mainly had Canons in my past, and have enjoyed them. ALL P&S, but I've liked them and have heard good things about the Canon DSLRs. However, I'm not locked into a particular brand.

I know there are a lot of photogs on here, so I'm hoping I can get some useful advice. As always, anything that can be bought through Amazon is a plus.

PB PM
2010-03-26, 15:04
With that kind of budget you don't have much choice, if you want to have Liveview for framing. The Canon Rebel XS (1000D) or Pentax K-X are the only ones that have what you want, that meet your budget, with a kit lens (18-55mm). The Pentax K-X has 720p video, while the Rebel XS does not have video at all. If you want 1080p video, you need to step up to the T1i, which body only is over your budget anyway. The Pentax does have one plus, other than video, it takes AA batteries rather than a battery pack.

Ryan
2010-03-26, 15:13
Regardless of what you get, consider adding on the 50mm/1.8 pretty quickly. Canon’s is around $100 and I think the other manufacturers’ versions are around the same. It sounds like it’ll be the sharpest lens you’ve ever had, and it’s a good foot-in-the-door on low-light scenes.

The Canon Rebel XS with kit lens plus the 50mm/1.8 comes out to $600. Doesn’t have HD video but it does have live view.

kieran
2010-03-26, 15:59
If it comes down to it, I can drop the video part. Would be nice to have, but not a necessity.

PB PM
2010-03-26, 16:08
Video really isn't the issue. The Rebel XS + Kit lens, and the Pentax K-X + kit lens, are the only cameras in your price range that have liveview. If you drop the need for liveview, which in all honesty isn't very useful on DSLRs unless you are shooting from a tripod, then you could add the Nikon D3000 + kit lens to the list.

Dorian Gray
2010-03-26, 19:52
I don't know US prices off the top of my head but Sony has the Alpha A330, A380 and maybe A500 that do live view, though I think only the A500 has live view fed from the imaging sensor (the others use a dedicated live view sensor, which has both pluses and negatives depending on what you want to use live view for). No Sonys do video yet, though that's coming. Sony will probably release at least one new entry-level Alpha in the next few weeks, which may or may not do video.

Olympus has a slew of live view cameras (they popularised the idea), including the E-420, E-450, E-520 and E-620 in this kind of price range. These cameras are also quite compact for SLRs, and generally well-made, though I don't think they do video.

Pentax has the K-x, as mentioned, which does video and has live view. I don't know another camera that has these features at this price. The closest might be the Nikon D5000. The K-x has been getting rave reviews because it offers compelling performance for the money. DPReview's conclusion on page 29 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page29.asp) of their in-depth review sums it up nicely.

Canon's XS and XSi have live view but no video. The T1i has video and live view, but would be well over your budget.

Then there are the various Panasonic and Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras, which drop the reflex mirror altogether in exchange for live view and a more compact size. These all do video too, as far as I can tell.

billybobsky
2010-03-26, 20:47
The panasonic GF1 (microfourthirds yaddayaddayadda) is above his price range. I just picked one up to fill the gap I have below my DSLR (which is aging gracefully)...

torifile
2010-03-26, 21:13
I bought a used 40d from someone over on fredmiranda.com and I've been very happy with it. Check their for sale forums so you can stretch that budget. They have a good feedback system so you can be pretty confident you're not going to get scammed.

kieran
2010-03-26, 21:18
The Canon SX and SXi have been the ones that I've been looking at.

It seems as if the video request will need to be dropped. I can deal with that.

The only reason that I'm bringing in the live view request is that it took a lot of convincing for the GF to agree to split the costs with me. I've been trying to talk her into getting a new camera for years, but she said she wants to be able to use the LCD.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm going go ahead and just rule out video at the price range we're looking at then. The Canons look like the route I'm probably going to go.

PB PM
2010-03-26, 21:20
The problem the GF1 and EP cameras from Olympus is price. If I can buy a real DSLR for less money, that kills it.

I can tell you that the little Olympus 4/3 cameras are nice, I had an E410, but recently sold it. Main reason I didn't keep it was the tiny viewfinder. The newer models are said to be a little bit bigger though. Dorian is correct that no Olympus DSLRs have video.

I will give you one last piece of advice. Do think about the lenses you want to use in the future. Why? You can always buy a newer camera body, but lenses can last you many years! One of my favortate lenses is nearly 29 years old!

turtle
2010-03-26, 21:22
I'd say the XS or XSi is your best option. I'm also a Canon lover so take that into account with my vote too. :D

Dorian Gray
2010-03-26, 21:29
The panasonic GF1 (microfourthirds yaddayaddayadda) is above his price range. I just picked one up to fill the gap I have below my DSLR (which is aging gracefully)...
You're right. That's a pricey camera. They're clearly milking foolish early adopters like billybobsky. :p Looks like the Sony Alpha A500 isn't cheap either. The Olympus PEN E-PL1 (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_slr.asp?section=pen) is just about okay though.

Canon SLRs are a smart choice and arguably the most likely to satisfy expectations in this part of the market. I'd rather have a Nikon but I've always had to repress my snobbism. :D

PB PM
2010-03-26, 21:32
:lol: Me to Dorian. I want to try using a Canon DSLR for a few months though, just to help me be more objective. ;) I might grab a T2i just to use for video till I get a D700s next year!

kieran
2010-03-26, 21:47
I love the looks of the four-thirds. Would love to grab one, but they seem to be a bit pricey for me.

PB PM
2010-03-26, 22:05
They are over priced for what they are! I might pick one up when body prices hit $400, but until then I'd rather have a D40 or D60 as a small "portable" DSLR.

billybobsky
2010-03-27, 11:00
They're clearly milking foolish early adopters like billybobsky

True, but given the fact that I hate P&Ss and wanted more portability than my Canon DSLR, it was worth it. I don't suspect the prices will vary that much -- it is a product line targeted at people who already own a DSLR and want something less sophisticated/lighter...

In fact, there are already two lines of these cameras being produced -- a higher end model that is aimed at DSLR owners and a lower end model aimed below the DSLR market... What I think will happen is that the high end point and shoots will erode away...

PB PM
2010-03-27, 13:36
You should have given the money to charity, how selfish. :p

billybobsky
2010-03-27, 13:53
That never gets old or any more mistaken.

PB PM
2010-03-27, 14:52
:lol: Anyway, good luck with your choice kieran, when it comes to entry level DSLRs these days, there really aren't any bad choices, other than than Sony's IMO. Having held them in the store, all I can say is, they feel and look cheaply made.

kieran
2010-03-27, 18:29
I saw a Sony for a really good deal the other day, but I just couldn't do it. I don't know why, but I just didn't like it. I don't have any Sony products in my house right now, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I have the XSi and a 50mm lens in my cart on Amazon right now, just waiting to push the button. Comes to $668 right now. A little more than I thought I would spend, but not bad.

Just have to make sure the GF is going to pay her half, and I'll order this. Gotta make a final decision this week. Hopefully I can order it tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm sure I'll be back with even more questions.

PB PM
2010-03-27, 18:38
Do you have the XSi with the kit lens, or just the 50mm? You might find that a little restrictive, since 50mm is 80mm on a Canon crop body.

kieran
2010-03-27, 18:44
I would get the kit lens plus the 50mm one, just for some variety.

turtle
2010-03-27, 18:47
I still don't have the 50mm but I got the 75-300mm first followed by the 100mm Macro. I also got the Speedlite 430EX before those lenses. It has come in really handy more than I can count!

PB PM
2010-03-27, 19:37
I would get the kit lens plus the 50mm one, just for some variety.
Ah just checking, I know some people who bought a DSLR, and only a fixed focal length lens, gone on a trip and been a little disappointed that it was all they had. ;)

Good choice, the 50mm 1.8 will come in handy when it starts getting dark out.

kieran
2010-03-27, 19:59
I'm going to Mexico in May, so I want to be able to get some cool pictures out of it.

I've read many reviews about saying that a 50mm lens is a necessity, but nothing as to really stating why it is. Care to enlighten me on why/when/how you would use different lenses?

Been a while since I've used an SLR, and even that was just an older film one with one lens.

PB PM
2010-03-27, 20:14
On a crop sensor DSLR a 50mm lens is perfect for closeup portraits, or when the light starts getting low, thanks to the wide (F1.8) aperture. To be honest, I find keep the 50mm F1.8 that I have on my film camera, which I still use often, more than on my DSLR. On a crop sensor body, a 35mm lens is like using a 50mm on a 35mm film film camera. Another advantage is the very narrow depth of field, which for artsy photographers is nice to have. If you ever do a portrait of a women, shoot at F2.8 and focus on her eyes, she'll love how soft her skin looks. ;)

On a full frame DSLR, 50mm is very close to the way the human eye sees, although it does not cover the entire field of view that we have, but rather the area we tend to focus on.

Dorian Gray
2010-03-28, 04:48
I've read many reviews about saying that a 50mm lens is a necessity, but nothing as to really stating why it is. Care to enlighten me on why/when/how you would use different lenses?
It's not a necessity, exactly, and a 50 mm lens is often a bit long on a crop-sensor camera for general use (but good for portraits), as PB PM noted. But the f/1.8 aperture means the sensor can be exposed to more light, which is very useful when there isn't enough of the stuff! The 18-55 mm kit lens has a maximum aperture around f/5.6 at 50 mm. The 50 mm at f/1.8 projects an image onto the sensor that is almost ten times brighter (because (5.6/1.8)^2 is roughly equal to 10), resulting in a shutter speed 10 times shorter, e.g. 1/60 of a second (can be handheld) rather than 1/6th of a second (needs a tripod, and shows subject motion unless the subject is totally still). Alternatively, for a given shutter speed, you can use an ISO ten times lower, e.g. ISO 100 (smooth, almost no noise) versus ISO 1000 (grainy), or ISO 1600 (noisy but usable) versus ISO 16,000 (not even an option on most cameras).

kieran
2010-03-28, 18:33
Alright, I have the XSi + kit lens and a 50mm lens in my Amazon cart.

Ready to click buy.

One more question. How far will a 2 GB SD card get me? I know I should get a bigger one, but checking to see if I can put it off for a bit.

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked the prices. THere are 8GB cards on there for $12. I can spring that.

PB PM
2010-03-28, 18:37
IMO, you are better off buying a few 3 or 4 4GB cards, never put all your eggs in one basket!

Dorian Gray
2010-03-28, 18:39
How far will a 2 GB SD card get me?
Wild guess: 120 raw files or 400 JPEGs. Plenty!

THere are 8GB cards on there for $12. I can spring that.
Cheap cards are slow, both in the camera (writing the files while shooting bursts, and scrolling through your shots on the screen) and while copying to your hard drive. The cheap card might still make sense from a value-for-money point of view, but know that all cards aren't equal. I'd get one from a reputable manufacturer (e.g. SanDisk, Lexar, etc.).

kieran
2010-03-28, 18:43
That's true. I do have a 2GB microSD card in my P&S right now, so I could still use that.

A 4GB would probably be better for me, in addition to the 2GB I already have.

Thanks again. Off to Amazon I go again for about the 237th time. Going to order it this time though.

kieran
2010-03-28, 19:08
Alright, last update.

Ordered the XSi + kit lens, 50mm lens, and a 4GB Sandisk SD card.

I really can't wait for this to get here. Gives me a month in order to get used to it before going on my trip in May.

It's about time I went through with this. I've been wanting a DSLR for years.

evan
2010-03-28, 19:45
Alright, last update.

Ordered the XSi + kit lens, 50mm lens, and a 4GB Sandisk SD card.

I really can't wait for this to get here. Gives me a month in order to get used to it before going on my trip in May.

It's about time I went through with this. I've been wanting a DSLR for years.

congrats! just caught up with this, and if I make any money this summer I may be in a similar boat come august

PB PM
2010-03-28, 19:57
Awesome, hope you have fun with it. If you have any questions don't hesitate to make a post. The photography folks around here love to help. ;)

kieran
2010-03-28, 20:03
After starting this thread, (and even before that) I knew we had a ton of photogs on AN.

I'm sure I'm going to be back asking a ton of questions.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

billybobsky
2010-03-28, 21:37
Congrats!

Ryan
2010-03-28, 22:10
Congratulations! I think you’ll really appreciate the flexibility the 50mm/1.8 allows. Yeah, it’s a little long, but for the price + wide aperture, it’s a great lens to start off with, and you’ve got the kit lens to cover a wider range of focal lengths.

Down the road, I’d add a wider prime. The 28mm/2.8 goes for $250 and it’s f1.8 brother for around $450. I luv the 28mm/1.8 as a walk-around lens, comes out to a 44mm when you mount it on a crop sensor. Depending on what you enjoy shooting, you could also go longer. The 85mm/1.8 is $370 and the 100mm/2 runs $430. I haven’t used either of these though so I can’t vouch for them myself.

Yeah, this all adds up pretty fast. :p The 50mm/1.8 is probably the only inexpensive lens worth buying. It all goes up from there.

turtle
2010-03-28, 23:00
Here is a thread with nothing but 100mm/2.8 Macro (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158427) being used. It's a very long thread so spend some time in it. :) In fact, you might go through more of that forum just to get a feel for real life usage of the lenses and such.

I personally use that forum for info gathering and minor sharing really. It's way to big for my taste and use.