PDA

View Full Version : Car DVD player... without DVDs

dmegatool
2010-03-27, 13:21
Hey guys,
I'm about to buy a DVD player for the car. You know, the kind you install on the back of a seat.

I'm just wondering if there's anything better than that ? I guess there's the same type of product but without DVDs. Like with SD cards or whatever. I don't know where to look and how such thing would be called. Anyone can push me in the right direction ?

Ebby
2010-03-27, 16:06
There are some with hard drives that I was looking at a few years ago. Slap in a 250GB and have a pretty good video archive in your car.

torifile
2010-03-27, 16:58
Why not get a PSP or something? You can rip DVDs to memory sticks pretty easily.

FFL
2010-03-27, 17:02
An iPad with velcro strips on the back?

dmegatool
2010-03-27, 17:09
Why not get a PSP or something? You can rip DVDs to memory sticks pretty easily.
Good idea but it's for my little daughter. My 5G iPod could do it too but you know, that's not the best solution.
An iPad with velcro strips on the back?
I like that one. I'll consider it :lol:

torifile
2010-03-27, 18:59
Good idea but it's for my little daughter. My 5G iPod could do it too but you know, that's not the best solution.

I like that one. I'll consider it :lol:

I disagree. My son used to use my PSP as a video player and it is still in perfect condition. Get a hard case and you're set. You can start the video and lock all the buttons. Easy as pie and completely portable.

dmegatool
2010-03-27, 20:06
I would get a PSP to play Chains of Olympus as a bonus... nice :)

Yeah maybe it could work. Note that she's only 18 month so that's the reason I'm hesitating a little bit. How are the speakers on that ? Cause ear buds is oh noes !

torifile: How old was your little boy when he started to use it ? What about "I'm watching something and I fell asleep"... did he ever dropped it ? I guess the case you're talking about is all about this.

turtle
2010-03-27, 20:47
I actually have a WD TV Mini (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136416) I got from NewEgg for $20 during Black Friday and I'm thinking about getting it hooked into my wife's van. It plays off of any USB storage and plays just about any format too. Something like this would be nice in a car because you can use flash based storage and not worry about vibration killing a drive.

torifile
2010-03-27, 21:01
I would get a PSP to play Chains of Olympus as a bonus... nice :)

Yeah maybe it could work. Note that she's only 18 month so that's the reason I'm hesitating a little bit. How are the speakers on that ? Cause ear buds is oh noes !

torifile: How old was your little boy when he started to use it ? What about "I'm watching something and I fell asleep"... did he ever dropped it ? I guess the case you're talking about is all about this.
He was probably around 18 months old. He's never dropped it but that might be because the boy NEVER falls asleep unless it's time for him to go to bed. In his bed. Really. It's unreal. We'll go on a 5 hour car ride and he'll be up the entire way. That said, the plastic case was really nice for my own peace of mind. I'd go running with him in the running stroller and he'd hold on to the PSP while we ran. The speakers were more than loud enough for the car or while running. The added benefit of being able to play games was a nice perk.

Now that he's old enough that I trust him with my iPhone, I don't take the PSP with us because it's one less thing to remember to charge.