PDA

View Full Version : Is a Power Mac worth the price difference?

holbox
2005-01-17, 21:47
It would cost me around $1700 more to get a Power Mac Dual G5 - 2.00 vs. a 20" iMac G5.

I really only write, am going to use iMovie & iDVD, mess with the net, and goof around with a computer.

Am waiting for TIGER to buy.

I've been thinking that if I go Power Mac it may last me longer, is worth fixing if need be, and can be up-graded if I wish down the road. The way it is now, I've been getting a new computer ever 2-3 years just because something new strikes my fancy.

Am not rich, but not poor either. The $1,700 is no problem, but I hate to throw away money too and if I have something that's really good would be glad to keep it & have some service & up-grades done from time to time.

Is the Power Mac that much better ?????? :confused: :confused:

Luca
2005-01-17, 23:17
It sounds like you don't need the PowerMac's extra power at all. True, it will last longer than the iMac. But look at it this way - that $1700 you spend can be used to buy another 20" iMac later on, once your current one is outdated. I'd say go with the iMac. It's a more pleasant computer. Not as fast and powerful, but quieter, prettier, and more compact.

Paul
2005-01-17, 23:23
I hate to make it any more complicated for you.... but why even look to spend that much?

Have you given any thought into buying a Mac mini and getting an external 20" (+?) Apple Cinema Display? When the mini starts to feel slow you can upgrade to a cheap mini again or get a used G5 tower...

Luca
2005-01-17, 23:31
No, a mini is if you really want to save money. By, say, using an old monitor you already have, and maybe just putting up with a lack of wireless, a large hard drive, and a lot of RAM. It's a switcher machine.

Getting a mini along with a 20" cinema display is already $1500. Upgrade the hard drive to 80 GB, get a Superdrive, and add a keyboard and mouse, and you're up to $1700. And you still have just an 80 GB hard drive spinning at 4200 RPM (far inferior to the 160 GB, 7200 RPM hard drive of the 20" iMac), a 32 MB video card that can't fully accelerate CoreImage effects (it'll still work, just not as well), and a 1.25 GHz G4. The iMac is an excellent deal if you want all that stuff. Now, maybe you don't want all those options I added, but it'll still cost you $1500 for the mini plus a 20" cinema display. That seems like a really bad deal compared to the iMacs.

Paul
2005-01-17, 23:45
well, that is true... but you can use the display 4+ years down the road when the 20" iMac is a piece of shit ;)...

It is just an option/suggestion... I have a 17" er myself. ;)

holbox
2005-01-18, 07:32
I hate to make it any more complicated for you.... but why even look to spend that much?

Have you given any thought into buying a Mac mini and getting an external 20" (+?) Apple Cinema Display? When the mini starts to feel slow you can upgrade to a cheap mini again or get a used G5 tower...
Right now I have a 2 yr. old iMac G4 with a combo drive. Since I am going to get into video and want to cut DVDs, I need a Super Drive. Been playing with iMovie for a couple weeks & it renders slides a little slow. So there I am, again, getting the "hots" for a new computer.
My thinking was - maybe I can resist these every 2-3 year change computer kicks by swallowing hard and just getting the best damn one money can buy and be satisfied with it for years then.
Have done that in the past ie: a Gravely Mower, Ford Expedition, Airstream, etc.

The big question is NOT do I "need" one. Hell no! But ..... is the Super Mac worth the money - really $1,700 better, faster, and would it cut that lust for something slightly better for enough years to make up the price difference?

kmarple1
2005-01-18, 08:23
The big question is NOT do I "need" one. Hell no! But ..... is the Super Mac worth the money - really $1,700 better, faster, and would it cut that lust for something slightly better for enough years to make up the price difference?

Haha, that's funny. Yes, it is in my opinion worth the extra money, but no mac will cut the lust for more mac stuff. Trust me. I bought my first ever mac last summer, and I'm deeply addicted. If you're waiting for tiger though, my suggestion would be this: see if the rumors pan out about a G5 Powerbook, and go for that. Mind you I'm typing this on a powerbook, so I'm a bit biased.

ast3r3x
2005-01-18, 10:55
Haha, that's funny. Yes, it is in my opinion worth the extra money, but no mac will cut the lust for more mac stuff. Trust me. I bought my first ever mac last summer, and I'm deeply addicted. If you're waiting for tiger though, my suggestion would be this: see if the rumors pan out about a G5 Powerbook, and go for that. Mind you I'm typing this on a powerbook, so I'm a bit biased.

Once you use a powerbook, how can you not be biased? I just wish the 1.25GHz was faster as I use photoshop and...work with DVDs often. A G5 Powerbook would be amazing.

Of course, I'm posting this from a PC in the library at my schoo...so I'm biased.

Franz Josef
2005-01-18, 14:57
To my mind, the Power Mac premium looks hard to justify - there's cost and the fact it's a big footprint on the desk - and the iMac is cute...

jimbo123
2005-04-17, 12:24
Hi

I'm like you in terms of what I use a computer for. I've decided to go for the 20" iMac
The Power Mac doesn't represent good value for money for me. I would rather have an all in one, elgant but still quite powerfull machine...

Wickers
2005-04-17, 13:11
Just pointing out, for the love of god and all that is holy, if you end up going for an iMac PLEASE wait for rev.b. Not only because they are due out soon... trust me. :|

jbloodwo
2005-04-17, 13:42
If you're waiting for tiger though, my suggestion would be this: see if the rumors pan out about a G5 Powerbook, and go for that. Mind you I'm typing this on a powerbook, so I'm a bit biased.

I personaly dont think we will see a g5 pb tell macworld SF next year. and even if one does come out I would sit out at least 1 refresh cycle for some of the gremlins to get worked out.

Bryson
2005-04-17, 13:56
Yes, a G5 Powerbook will most likely be an entirely new product, not really based on any older ones. Best to wait for a Rev.B.

holbox
2005-04-17, 15:17
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS POST GOT DRAGGED OUT AGAIN.....

You can see it was started back in January.

Anyway, since it's been dug up, I did buy the PowerMac Dual 2 Ghz. G5 w/ a 20 Apple screen.

I love it and as far as I'm concerned it's worth every penny! I doubt that I'll be swapping computers for quite a few years to come. It's one hell of a piece of equipment. Way more than I need, but you can go cross country in a Chevy or a Caddy. You'll get there either way, but it's a lot more fun in the Caddy! :lol: :lol: :lol: