PDA

View Full Version : doxygen?

evan
2010-04-27, 01:03
Does anyone know how to install it in OS X? Apparently for the windows users in my class, it was included when they installed Cygwin, but I don't have that privilege. Of course the professor doesn't give any alternate instructions... just "it's already installed so just type 'doxygen' into the terminal once you have your doxyfile"

anyway I've googled around but nothing I've tried to install via the terminal works. The GUI version sort of works except it doesn't seem to see my doxyfile...

(here's one instruction set that I couldn't get to work: http://doxygen.darwinports.com/)

evan
2010-04-27, 01:13
ok figured out the GUI frontend but if anyone would care to help / walkthrough installing it so I can use doxygen from the terminal it would be sweet :)

Majost
2010-04-27, 01:13
Have you simply tried to download the source (http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/download.html#latestsrc) and do the good ole './configure; make; sudo make install'?

It's still working on the make step, but it seems to be working for me.

Edit to add: You can generally compile and install most open source libraries and programs directly on OS X. When you download a GNU project, there's generally an INSTALL file that tells you how to compile and install the program. Nine out of ten times, that amounts to running an included script that identifies some of the particulars of your system and sets if you'd like to enable or disable any special features.

It creates a makefile that tells the 'make' program how to compile the program correctly, and where to subsequently install it.

Enough of the why. Download that source tarball I linked above, extract it, and then open Terminal and 'cd' there. Then, sequentially type:

./configure
make
sudo make install

Edit 2: My compiled binary seems to work fine. Not sure about Graphviz or TeTeX support, though... I don't have anything handy to test it on.

evan
2010-04-27, 10:09
awesome, you're a life saver! and thank for the explanation too, most of the time my professor is pretty good about explaining the "whys" and "hows" in class but if it's something mac specific I'm pretty much left in the dark :( so your reply was immensely helpful/informative