PDA

View Full Version : Good replacement HDD for MacBook-??

zippy
2010-04-27, 12:21
I've got a friend who's MacBook HDD seems to have bit the dust. It won't boot, clicks like a son of a gun, and isn't recognized by Disk Utility. I've tried a PRAM reset, but with all that clicking and scratching, I told him the drive is most likely toast. (here's where we give a little shout out to Time Machine. woot woot)

I don't know the exact model of MacBook, but I know it's one of the easy to replace hard-drive models.

It seems that now would be a good time to upgrade in both size and speed (a 7200 RPM drive should work in this thing -right?). I thought I remember hearing good things about the WD Scorpio Black drives. Newegg has one that I think is the right type here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280) for $75.

Does anyone know off hand if that's the right type of drive? Any other suggestions on specific drives?

bassplayinMacFiend
2010-04-27, 12:38
I picked up a WD 500GB HDD for my MacBook from OWC last year. They had a combo package with an external case for the old HDD but guess you won't need that in your case. ;)

I'd cross reference OWC and Newegg to find the best deal for you. OWC stuff is all Mac compatible and Newegg commenters are good about mentioning Mac compatibility/non-compatibility in the comments section.

beardedmacuser
2010-04-27, 14:13
I've been using a 320 gig WD hard drive (model no WDC WD3200BJKT-00F4T0 according to System Profiler) for the last couple of years without any problem whatsoever in my plastic MacBook (GMA X3100 model).

zippy
2010-04-27, 14:39
Thanks for the info guys. One other question:

I assume he can just order a 'bare drive' and take the little wrapper/enclosure thing off of the existing drive. Or is it better to order one of the kits that comes with a new wrapper (or whatever you'd call that)?

Also, I did talk to him again, and he purchased the MB in Sept. '07. (no Applecare)

PB PM
2010-04-27, 14:45
Almost any 2.5" SATA drive will work just fine. There are a few 500GB drives that are too tall, but I don't think there are many of them around anymore.

Dorian Gray
2010-04-27, 20:17
Any other suggestions on specific drives?
The fastest hard disk drive on the market for a typical mixed workload is the Hitachi Travelstar 7K500. It's available in various capacities up to 500 GB. See my thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=34219) on installing this in a MacBook Pro for more details.

Any 2.5-inch SATA drive with a height of 9.5 mm will work. The thicker 12.5-mm drives probably won't (and none of them are any good anyway).