PDA

View Full Version : New Mouse (yes, this thread again...)

Maciej
2010-05-06, 18:38
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new mouse.

My uses include gaming; mostly RTS, but my workflow also calls for a good amount of customizability (in regards to exposé), and I would like to be able to use at least one button as a "back" button for browsing.

Connectivity is preferably Bluetooth, however if I must I'll settle for USB. I'm using a 17" MBP so it doesn't travel too much, but the USB space comes at a premium. Oh, and I'm a righty.

The strength of AN lies in its diversity, so I hope to hear from people with various backgrounds and specialized uses.

TIA, Maciej

Luca
2010-05-06, 19:20
I have always liked Logitech mice. Had a problem with my last one, an MX Revolution, but got it replaced thanks to a 3-year warranty. They sent me a Performance Mouse MX as a replacement. It's not an ideal mouse to go with a notebook but it is very comfortable and customizable.

I have never used a bluetooth mouse so I don't really know much about them, but if you do decide to get a USB wireless mouse instead, Logitech is the way to go because their receivers are so tiny. They stick out from the port just barely enough to be able to remove them. So it takes up a port but it doesn't stick out and you don't have to search for the receiver. Just leave it plugged in.

The other thing is I don't know how much Logitech's Mac software has improved over time. I know it was pretty bad back when I used Macs. For a long time, even their Windows software was pretty bad, but the more recent versions have been fine so perhaps it's improved across both platforms.

EDIT: From visiting their website, I only saw two bluetooth mice, and they were both pretty basic in terms of buttons. One was 2 buttons + scroll, while the other added an application switch button. Nothing special. Their RF mice have more buttons, though. So I guess only go with Logitech if you can't find a good bluetooth mouse.

Maciej
2010-05-06, 19:35
EDIT: From visiting their website, I only saw two bluetooth mice, and they were both pretty basic in terms of buttons. One was 2 buttons + scroll, while the other added an application switch button. Nothing special. Their RF mice have more buttons, though. So I guess only go with Logitech if you can't find a good bluetooth mouse.

Yeah, that's where I reconnoitered the situation as well. I think Logitech is going to be my first choice, but they're awful pricy. I'm currently using an old USB corded mouse by Microsoft, so losing the port has already been a constant.

Can anyone chime in on Logitech's software, or the general compatibility with Macs?

Luca, how many buttons does the Performance MX have and how do you have them programmed?

torifile
2010-05-06, 19:38
Logitech's software has been abysmal for me. Their hardware is great though. Use USB Overdrive for the software. It's spendy for driver software but you can use it for free as long as you like as long as you're willing to put up with a reminder to pay when you log in.

Ebby
2010-05-06, 20:11
I have a slew of logitech mice and love them. I get them on sale at a local computer store when they hit $5-$8. I usually have one to spare if anything should break. I only had one mouse die on its own. The other shorted out when my USB hub blew. :/ (Expensive btw)

I usually stay away from software unless it has a feature I really really need. I don't use the fancy stuff except for gaming and I have not done that for years.

Luca
2010-05-06, 20:25
Logitech's software has been abysmal for me. Their hardware is great though. Use USB Overdrive for the software. It's spendy for driver software but you can use it for free as long as you like as long as you're willing to put up with a reminder to pay when you log in.

When was the last time you had an up-to-date version of Logitech's software installed? Because even the Windows version was pretty bad (though not as bad) until I updated recently and it got a whole lot better.

The Performance MX is really expensive and I'd never have bought it, but that's what they sent me as a replacement so I'm not going to say no! It has the standard 2 buttons + scroll, forward and back buttons, two more buttons around the thumb grip area (by default, they do application switching and zoom, but you can change them to anything), and a button just below the scroll wheel to switch between notched and freewheel scrolling.

Not sure how customizable it would be on a Mac. I know that even without any drivers installed, you get functionality of the forward and back buttons and you can assign any extras to Expose. I'm also pretty sure the button to switch scroll modes cannot be programmed and works inside the mouse's firmware (so again, no need for drivers).

In my experience, USB Overdrive is pretty good. It's $20, which seems like a lot for driver software, but it's worth it. Definitely at least try it out first in free mode and compare to your other options.

And Ebby has a good point too. There are a lot of extremely cheap mice out there. I am a fan of wireless mice, but if you're cool with a wired one you can save a lot of money.

Maciej
2010-05-06, 20:36
Performance MX uses charging dock, correct? How has your battery held up?

Ryan
2010-05-06, 20:58
FWIW, Microsoft’s Mac software is actually pretty decent. I don’t know anything about their current offerings, the unit I have is about three years old, but I can say the software doesn’t suck.

Luca
2010-05-06, 22:07
Performance MX uses charging dock, correct? How has your battery held up?

Actually it uses a single NiMH AA battery and it has a micro-USB port on the front for charging. Theoretically it can even be used to charge while you use it, but in my experience the cord is too stiff and short for it to work well. Maybe if you got a smaller micro-USB cord, but you can always just use the included AC charger instead.

Battery life is not outstanding. I charge it every 4-6 days. Could probably get away with a week between charges. But at least it includes a rechargeable battery so you don't have to keep buying new batteries for it.

Maciej
2010-05-06, 22:26
Any comment or experience with interference since it's fighting for the same frequency as wifi, 2.4ghz?

turtle
2010-05-06, 22:58
I've been using Logitech for years and their software works great on my systems. G4 and Intel. Granted, I had to wait for updates for 10.6 but it was worth it. Made setting the buttons a snap.

My current set is the S530 Mac. Never had any problems with it other than jumping to 10.6 before their support was there. Even then I only lost the extra button support. The main three buttons still worked but wouldn't scroll.

Luca
2010-05-07, 10:04
Any comment or experience with interference since it's fighting for the same frequency as wifi, 2.4ghz?

I have a WiFi router that actually sits on top of my computer not six inches from the mouse receiver, and I've never had trouble with interference.

If you want a Bluetooth mouse, someone else will have to comment. I can see a Bluetooth mouse being preferable since it doesn't require any USB ports. If you go Logitech, the M555b would probably be a fine choice since it has that one extra button you can use for Expose, but there have to be other options out there. You could even consider the Magic Mouse. Pretty expensive but it's also pretty cool.

Just found another decent-looking Bluetooth mouse, the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Mouse 5000. It also has an extra thumb button and it's not expensive (under $40 from some places).

Maciej
2010-05-07, 16:33
You don't think Logitech is planning on outing a new MX model soon are you?

Luca
2010-05-07, 17:00
No clue. I don't really follow their product releases. I hadn't even heard of the Performance MX until the Logitech rep asked me if it would be an acceptable replacement for my MX Revolution.

Maciej
2010-05-07, 17:24
No clue. I don't really follow their product releases. I hadn't even heard of the Performance MX until the Logitech rep asked me if it would be an acceptable replacement for my MX Revolution.

Yeah, I understand. After all, it is just a mouse.

thegeriatric
2010-05-07, 18:25
I have a Logitech V550 nano, it only has one button plus scroll wheel, works fine no problem with software.

As for battery life quoted as upto 18 months, I use mine a lot everyday and am getting around 9 months from a set of AA batteries, not too shabby.

Maciej
2010-05-08, 12:27
I decided to go with the Performance MX, found an okay price from tiger direct and they had a $15 mail in rebate. Should be here by Monday. Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Maciej
2010-05-10, 17:10
So I got it today. Installed Logitech's software. Talk about bad citizen. It completely screwed up my trackpad settings and sensitivity.

PB PM
2010-05-10, 17:21
Uninstall Logitech's software it sucks.

Maciej
2010-05-10, 17:33
Uninstall Logitech's software it sucks.

Yeah, but I don't have anything to replace it with. Otherwise the extra buttons won't work, will they?

I haven't bought USB Overdrive yet... don't know if I will.

Brad
2010-05-10, 17:39
Yeah, but I don't have anything to replace it with. Otherwise the extra buttons won't work, will they?
System Preferences -> Expose & Spaces. Mac OS X usually detects mutli-button mice just fine and allows you to map Expose and Spaces junctions to them, at least.

Luca
2010-05-10, 17:40
What Brad said. Have you at least installed USB Overdrive? Last I checked, it was shareware.

Other than the software issues, how do you like the mouse?

PB PM
2010-05-10, 17:42
System Preferences -> Expose & Spaces. Mac OS X usually detects mutli-button mice just fine and allows you to map Expose and Spaces junctions to them, at least.
Yup, this works well and it maintains Apples mouse drivers, which I prefer anyway.

Maciej
2010-05-10, 17:46
The mouse hardware is great. I'm happy with it. The weight is solid, doesn't feel flimsy, "fast scroll" or whatever it is call is lots of fun. Only gripe is USB receiver, but it isn't something I can't live with.

Overall grade: A- (not factoring in software issues)

Maciej
2010-05-10, 17:53
Only problem with using built in OS X functionality, is finding a way to tie two buttons to "forward" and "back" in Safari. And ideas?

Edit: Installing USB Overdrive now.

Edit2: Well, I've got USB Overdrive installed now. Everything is configured how I like it. The program is nice, but I'm torn about whether I should buy it or go back to Logitech. I'm upset that Logitech has crappy software support, but I don't know if I can fork over the $20 for similar functionality that I could get with crappy free software. I say similar because I see the added customizability as a positive, but one I may not use extensively. Tough call here, because I really hate that reminder that pops up on startup and not being able to access the settings immediately.

I suppose you can't have your cake and eat it, too. :\ Color me undecided.

Final Edit: I decided to buy USB Overdrive. I feel the need to support shareware developers. I'm happy with the program, you guys can stick a fork in this one. She's done.

Maciej
2010-05-10, 20:46
Luca, do you turn yours off or just usually let it idle?

Luca
2010-05-10, 22:31
I just leave it. I assume these is some sort of sleep mode when you don't use it for a while and that way I don't have to remember to turn it on. Although when I move it from one place to another I do turn it off.

Come to think of it, it might be an awesome travel mouse despite being bulky. It uses a AA battery so you can always get spares, and you can plug it into your computer to charge it while it's in use.

MBHockey
2010-05-13, 20:24
I have been using a Logitech MX 518 for a while now and I highly recommend it. I only use the mouse when I play Starcraft or edit videos/photos. I have SteerMouse installed which lets my fully customize all the buttons and everything.

I was trying to use a Logitech Marathon MX mouse (wireless and very comfortable) but it wasn't good for Starcraft. I suppose wired mouses will always best wireless mouses for games.

Otherwise though I just use the multitouch trackpad which is extremely customizable through BetterTouchTool (free). You can set up pretty much any kind of multitouch gesture you can think of.

Edit: probably should have read the whole thread before posting :p

Maciej
2010-05-13, 21:03
Edit: probably should have read the whole thread before posting :p

That's alright, appreciate your commentary anyway.