PDA

View Full Version : DACs / external sound options

Eugene
2010-07-03, 10:39
The onboard sound on my Mac mini has given out so I've been researching USB-based DACs as a possible replacement. I'm leaning toward the NuForce μDAC since it's fairly inexpensive, but it's also the least flexible. Also on the radar is the iBasso D4 which can be used as a portable iPod amplifier because it has a battery and aux/line-in.

Not under consideration: HeadAmp Pico or anything else in that $300+ price range. Anything from Creative.

Majost
2010-07-03, 11:26
What about the Griffin iMic? I haven't heard much about it recently (although apparently there's a new revision out now), but it used to be the external sound option for Macs. Never used the thing... and I don't know how it compares with stuff nowadays, but at the least it's another option.

remlemasi
2010-07-03, 13:59
If you want an audiophile-grade DAC with a decent headphone amp built-in look no further than a Zero DAC (eBay is the only source). It goes for about $150, which is pretty good considering the quality of sound it produces.

http://cgi.ebay.com/09-NEW-VERSION-ZERO-24-192KHZ-DAC-HEAD-AMP-USB-OPA2604-/110401107776?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b46b3740#ht_7258wt_887

I have one and it's really good. Definitely holding me off until I can justify this: http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system1/digital-analog-converter/dac1-hdr

Those headphone forums will have boatloads of info on it (almost too much to sift through).

Eugene
2010-07-03, 14:43
That looks interesting...do you know if it comes with a NEMA power cord or am I going to have to use an adapter?

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like it does.

Maciej
2010-07-03, 17:51
If you're willing to stretch your budget to $200, I'd be willing to recommend the TubeMagic D1 from Maverick Audio. I hear good things.

Brad
2010-07-03, 17:57
I hear good things.

I see what you did there.

Maciej
2010-07-03, 18:27
I see what you did there.

Haha, funny. I should make it clear that I don't actually own one of these, that was a coincidence. I have heard from owners that it sounds above it's price point, and you can always roll tubes.

Eugene
2010-07-03, 19:52
Hmm, reading further into the Zero DAC/amp, it looks like the Head-Fi types either love it because it's cheap, or hate it because they tend to blow up...

remlemasi
2010-07-05, 16:36
Hmm, reading further into the Zero DAC/amp, it looks like the Head-Fi types either love it because it's cheap, or hate it because they tend to blow up...

Yeahhhhh... I decided to go for it and it's been working flawlessly for a good few months now. Maybe the 09 edition fixed some issues. I did see that TubeMagic D1 awhile ago and it looks very promising. I would definitely check that one out too.

I'm currently using the Zero DAC with a Hafler 2-channel power amp and some Polk Audio LSi15s. Amazing speakers and I found them for $500 on craigslist!!! An Airport Express is feeding it Apple Lossless from my iTunes and it's a great setup. Partner that with my iPhone as my remote and it's simply amazing.