PDA

View Full Version : Developing using .NET using a Mac

MagSafe
2010-07-08, 16:51
Hey,

Does anyone know of a way to develop websites using .NET on a Mac? I've got Parallels with Windows 7 & Windows XP installed and was wondering if there was a way I could maybe use Coherence mode to run IIS in the background and code and run scripts in Firefox on my Mac?

Thanks for any help :)

Brad
2010-07-08, 17:43
mono (http://www.mono-project.com/)?

Sorry, that's all the advice I can give. :) I've never actually used it, nor done any serious Windows development for that matter.

Banana
2010-07-08, 18:17
Forgive me if I'm being a Captain Oblivious, but wouldn't it be better experience to use Visual Studio, the native environment for .NET - I *think* it also allows you to write javascript for the client-side pieces but I've not programmed any web application before and you certainly should be able to test it out on Mac's firefox?

Gargoyle
2010-07-10, 14:57
As Banana said, you'll be wanting to use Visual Studio. Although you could write .Net stuff using any editor you want, VS is going to give you debugging, etc.

If you "HAVE" to use .Net for work or because you need specific .Net features, then you will need a pretty beefy machine and a good chunk of RAM. VS is pretty resource heavy.