PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Bag?

evan
2010-07-22, 00:40
I want a bag (could be messenger, could be backpack) that comfortably and safely will hold my camera (Rebel XSi) and two lenses (kit 28-55 and a nifty fifty, likely won't get a 3rd till next summer and it might just replace the kit), my iPad, maybe a few notebooks / actual books (or my 15" macbook pro? you never know), and the usual odds and ends (chargers, memory sticks, headphones). But nothing bigger. I used to have a gigantic swiss army backpack in high school and while it was great for schlepping 30 pounds of books to and from school everyday, I'm looking for something sleek. Like Under-The-Seat-In-Front-Of-You-On-An-Airplane-While-Still-Allowing-You-To-Sneak-One-Foot-Beside-It-To-Stretch-That-Leg-Out-During-The-Flight sleek. But still something that offers enough protection from the bumps of everyday life, whether it's trekking across the globe, down the street, walking across campus, biking around the city, or whatever.

Does a back like this exist? I'm picturing something that on the back has a laptop sleeve, then across that sleeve in the middle are some compartments for camera gear and chargers, then maybe a front flap big enough for the iPad and other do-dads.

Maciej
2010-07-22, 07:16
Pick two:

1) Capacity
2) Sleekness / Smallness
3) Safe for your gear.

Here's (http://www.crumplerbags.com/Lite/English/Products/Sinking-Barge-Deluxe-SI07A.html?image=5)the pack I'm backing into the discussion.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you'll probably want to surf their site through the Flash portion of the site. It seems to be more updated, in terms of stock, and it moves quicker, too. Check em out, they have various options available.

Nogs
2010-07-22, 11:05
I have one of these http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-200,2085.htm.

It carries the following in the camera section:

EOS 7D
EF-S 10-22 + Hood
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM + Hood
EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM + Hood
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Speedlite 430EX II

The upper section isn't huge, but the iPad fits in it with space for an old 75-300 EF lens in there as well (and space for some non letter size notebooks / books. There are little pockets for batteries, cards etc scattered over the bag. If I have a battery grip on the 7D I think it might be a bit to big for the bag, having really tried it though as I've haven't really used the grip that much as battery life is amazing and the camera is a comfortable fit without it.

The Fastpack 250 seems to have a laptop zip at the back as well, and there is also a bigger 350 model as well.

zippy
2010-07-22, 12:11
I've always like lowepro bags.

Here's a quick pic of the fastpack 250 that Nogs mentioned:
http://products.lowepro.com//CatalogImages/18-2086-IMG3.jpeg

NosferaDrew
2010-07-22, 20:45
I have the 250 and I like it very much, but I agree with Nogs that the top compartment is a little small.

It's a quality bag that's very durable. Two thumbs up.

Renny722
2010-07-23, 09:38
If you are looking for the bag to be your primary storage for your camera I would stick with the Lowepro.

Personally I have a smaller bag to hold my camera for travels and it easily attaches to my normal travel bag which is the "Tri-Pak" from CODi

http://www.codidirect.com/laptop-bags-laptop-cases/checkpoint-friendly/ct3checkpoint-testedtri-pak.html

It is checkpoint tested so you can easily travel with it and has an isolated slot for a laptop (macbook) in your case. This is a medium sized bag from CODi but they also offer larger options if you ever needed to carry those books around again ;).

evan
2010-07-26, 23:42
Thanks for all the input, but after thinking it through a bit more I don't really want a dedicated "CAMERA" bag, but rather a good everyday bag for going to class, on trips, etc that could also be used to carry a camera and two lenses.

To be even more specific, I really like the medium timbuk2 laptop messenger as it's the perfect size, but I don't really trust my camera in the large empty cavity. Does anyone know of a similar bag that also has camera protection? Another alternative would be to get the timbuk2 bag and then some sort of "sleeve" for the camera gear, do these exist? Like packaging meant to go in another bag that gives the camera some padding of its own.

EDIT: the brazillion dollar home from crumpler is nice but a bit overkill on the camera part, not enough "everyday use" from the looks of it.

(and I realize I'm being VERY picky, but oh well)

screensaver400
2010-07-29, 12:03
I'm a big fan of the Jack Sack, which I got a few weeks ago. Just a simple, rugged sack, with a big flap and a large main compartment. There's no protection to speak of; I "up-armored" mine with a folder t-shirt at the bottom, haha. You'd need more protection for your camera gear.

But for $20 shipped, you can't beat it.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavyweight-Classic-Messenger-Bag-Olive/dp/B000KA98JE

evan
2010-08-31, 16:42
It turns out the 7 Million Dollar Home from crumpler will fit a 15" Macbook Pro along with the limited gear I have so I may end up getting that... one of the camera shops in my area has them so I might stop by tomorrow to fully test it out before ordering the color combo I want online :)