PDA

View Full Version : Monitor recommendations

torifile
2010-08-05, 22:51
Continuing my search for new office gear, I'm looking for a new monitor. It'll be displaying my MBP, so a mini displayport connection would be nice (but not necessary since I've already paid for the overpriced Apple dongle). It'll be a general purpose display, mostly text - reading, writing - but I want one that's nice and versatile. I don't know exactly what resolution my MBP (13" from last year) can drive.

It doesn't need a webcam built in or any of that fancy nonsense. It would be great if it had a USB hub built in. I'd like something 24" or higher but given the choice between larger screen and higher pixel density, I'd take higher pixel density. It won't be used for photo editing, at least in the short term, but it'd be nice if it was high enough quality to do that sort of thing. I don't have a price range in mind but the Apple displays are probably out of it.

I'd also like some recommendations for ways to configure my desk with my MBP in clamshell mode. Bluetooth keyboard? Mouse? Some sort of fancy stand to stick the MBP in? Feel free to chime in with any recommendations like that. TIA.

Eugene
2010-08-05, 23:56
If you don't go for the Apple 24" then probably the best options are the Dell U2311H or Dell U2211H ... both are 1920x1080. There's also the U2410 and maybe some of the NEC monitors like the new E231W (replaces the EA231WMI).

torifile
2010-08-06, 20:16
I may be able to score a 24" Apple display for $575 from CL. Is that a good deal?

Eugene
2010-08-06, 22:46
I may be able to score a 24" Apple display for $575 from CL. Is that a good deal?
That sounds like a good price if it's in like new condition since Apple is still trying to sell it for $800. The Dell U2410 is $540 from dell.com.

torifile
2010-08-06, 22:58
That sounds like a good price if it's in like new condition since Apple is still trying to sell it for $800. The Dell U2410 is $540 from dell.com.
It's a couple of months old according to the seller. He says it's in pristine condition and my emails with him don't make me think he's being dishonest.

Do you happen to know if I can enroll this display with my MBP's Applecare? I had the option of enrolling a display when I renewed but I didn't have one at the time. I hope I can. It'd be cool to get it covered for another 2 years.