PDA

View Full Version : New business cards. Opinions?

torifile
2010-08-20, 16:03
I'm going back into private practice, so I've had to create some new business cards. What do people think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73392/Business_Card.jpg

Bryson
2010-08-20, 16:06
Is the goldfish picture your logo?

Maciej
2010-08-20, 16:06
I like them. :)

RowdyScot
2010-08-20, 16:08
Looks okay to me. :)

turtle
2010-08-20, 16:11
I like it. Gives a feeling of peace for some reason.

torifile
2010-08-20, 16:11
Thanks guys. :) I tried hard to create a unified image between my website and my business cards and I think it came out ok.

The goldfish picture is my defacto logo right now. I really like it. It's part of my squarespace template design. I'm trying to find out how to pay for rights to its use outside of the template but I'm not exactly sure where to start. Any thoughts?

Kickaha
2010-08-20, 16:12
Not bad, but the asymmetry of the fish is driving me nuts. I keep looking at the negative space trying to make it into something.

Bryson
2010-08-20, 16:18
To me, the orange of the fish doesn't work with the light grey background. What does it look like with white background? Or cream? Do the fish get more "pop"?

I'm also unsure about the all-caps sans-serif titles with lowercase serif text below. Maybe make the fonts consistent? Or at least use the same font throughtout with all-caps for the titles. I prefer the sans-serif font myself, but that's just an opinion.

torifile
2010-08-20, 16:21
I had a hard time with some of the layout, particularly around that middle section. I decided that I should just go with the space.

I'll work up a version with all sans serif fonts but I'm afraid of trying to seem *too* trendy with sans serif everywhere.

Bryson
2010-08-20, 16:24
Oh, and the thing that a designer friend of mine always says is; get something printed on the back, too. Maybe the fish logo on it's own. Or "Durham DBT". Just print something - makes the card seem classier if it's double-sided, and the additional cost is trivial.

torifile
2010-08-20, 16:26
To me, the orange of the fish doesn't work with the light grey background. What does it look like with white background? Or cream? Do the fish get more "pop"?

I'm also unsure about the all-caps sans-serif titles with lowercase serif text below. Maybe make the fonts consistent? Or at least use the same font throughtout with all-caps for the titles. I prefer the sans-serif font myself, but that's just an opinion.
The background is supposed to be slightly cream colored. Of course, my display isn't properly calibrated. :\

torifile
2010-08-20, 16:27
Oh, and the thing that a designer friend of mine always says is; get something printed on the back, too. Maybe the fish logo on it's own. Or "Durham DBT". Just print something - makes the card seem classier if it's double-sided, and the additional cost is trivial.
I've got some appointment information on the back. Not exciting, I know, but functional. I should put the fish back there but maybe I'll have 2 sets - one for patients and one to give out to clinician's etc.

torifile
2010-08-20, 16:28
Not bad, but the asymmetry of the fish is driving me nuts. I keep looking at the negative space trying to make it into something.
How would you improve it? Make it more rounded?

AWR
2010-08-20, 16:34

You need a shrink!

I think the card looks good, torifile. Getting rights to use that fish design outside of the hosted template might prove to be more a challenge. The templates seem to belong to Squarespace; if you really want to know, you could ask them.

Good luck with your practice!

torifile
2010-08-20, 17:59
You need a shrink!

I think the card looks good, torifile. Getting rights to use that fish design outside of the hosted template might prove to be more a challenge. The templates seem to belong to Squarespace; if you really want to know, you could ask them.

Good luck with your practice!
Thanks. I emailed them and the template author. Hopefully it'll work out.

Brad
2010-08-20, 19:59
Needs some Comic Sans to look friendlier, but some Copperplate to balance it out and look professional... and swap out those asymmetrical fish for a badass Ouroboros. With FLAMES! But maybe that makes it too awesome, and you need to add something to keep it interesting for the ladies, like a pink background or a lolcat. And some starry sparkles for the kids, 'cause vampires sparkle, right?

http://applenova.com/etc/brad/random/BusinessCard.jpg

Kickaha
2010-08-20, 20:08
Hey, that's *my* shrink's card!

But... CBT? Jesus man, that's harsh.

torifile
2010-08-20, 20:11
Needs some Comic Sans to look friendlier, but some Copperplate to balance it out and look professional... and swap out those asymmetrical fish for a badass Ouroboros. With FLAMES! But maybe that makes it too awesome, and you need to add something to keep it interesting for the ladies, like a pink background or a lolcat. And some starry sparkles for the kids, 'cause vampires sparkle, right?

Awe. Some.

Mac+
2010-08-20, 20:20
Love it - especially the quasi-connection of the surname and the address.

Brad
2010-08-20, 20:22
Sheeeiit. That design's just oozing with awesome. Everyone picked up on the psychiatric subtexts of the Ouroborus and the ceiling cat, right?

Carl Jung interpreted the Ouroboros as having an archetypal significance to the human psyche. The Jungian psychologist Erich Neumann writes of it as a representation of the pre-ego "dawn state", depicting the undifferentiated infancy experience of both mankind and the individual child.

Ceiling cat watches you masturbate.

I'm not sure if I should charge by the pixel or by the meaning-layer for this one…

I'd say it's my greatest masterpiece yet.

psmith2.0
2010-08-20, 20:29
Hell yeah it is!

Definitely charge by the pixel...and then double it, because that's how good it is! I was going to submit a couple of ideas and refinements of my own, but jeez..why bother now? I just hit Command+Q on Photoshop and Illustrator and called it a night.

There's your card, Sammy. You're a poopyhead if you don't use it.

Capella
2010-08-20, 20:54
I'd go to you if you had that card. My old psych's office had just a plain boring card with name, number, address. This is oozing with cool. Your patients totally want cool.

torifile
2010-08-20, 21:32
Shit. Are we talking about Brad's masterwork or my drab, boring card? :lol:

billybobsky
2010-08-20, 21:33
I'm going back into private practice, so I've had to create some new business cards. What do people think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73392/Business_Card.jpg

ok... here goes...

I like the idea of the circling koi on the back of the card. I would replace them on the front with a more side view swimming coi, a play on the image on the back and your overall website design.

I would differentiate the font between DURHAM DBT... and your name more so than it is now. Playing around with fonts will help separate them.

Wyatt
2010-08-21, 05:04
Anybody else look at the logo and immediately think of the Firefox logo?

http://windows7.iyogi.net/wp-content/uploads/zahipedia_mozila_firefox.jpg

RowdyScot
2010-08-21, 05:09
Brad, that card is fucking epic. :lol: If a couple of addresses are changed on it, I would think that should go as a shirt design.

Iago
2010-08-21, 06:36
Too much information on there. I'd centre the logo on the reverse of the card (emboss it if you can), with the Durham DBT text. Drop some of the text -- having the DURHAM DBT and then your name in columns is kinda weird. It just looks really busy. Do you need all that information on there? Has anybody ever faxed you in a first instance of contact? Since 1980?

Robo
2010-08-21, 07:10
If you do decide to keep the current arrangement, I would be sure to align the baselines of the upper two columns ("Durham DBT, Inc./Specializing in DBT and CBT" and "Sammy F. Banawan, Ph.D./Licensed blah blah"). :)

It does sort of feel like all the information is crowded into the corners, particularly in the upper left. Rendering "Durham DBT, Inc." in lowercase might help, or else increasing the tracking (as on your website). You could also try reducing the border a bit -- right now you have a thicker border with narrower cell padding, and you could reverse the two. That might help open things up a bit.

Right now I see two poor fish trying to escape, but being blocked at every turn by text. ;)

If it were me, I'd shrink the fish a good deal and use them as a divider between "Durham DBT..." and "Sammy...Ph.D.," which I'd center vertically, allowing for a single row of the most crucial information accross the bottom of the card — and on the back, a larger version of the fish design (maybe a white line version knocked out of orange?). But that's just what I'd do. :p

Personal question: Is there a reason you're including your middle initial? I just see lots of medical professionals do that, for some reason, and it always fascinates me. Does "Sammy Banawan, Ph.D." convey less gravitas?

chucker
2010-08-21, 08:28
What Kickaha said; the fish should be symmetric. The two fonts also kind of clash; I'd drop the serif altogether and make everything sans-serif for ease of reading.

There's generally too much info, too many boxes, and too many different font sizes. You want the important bits to pop out and make people interested in that.

For instance, having your name to the right of the company name but right-aligned and a tad smaller looks unbalanced. While your license number is noteworthy, I'd make that whole line a lot smaller and place that at the bottom left, putting the website and e-mail address between address and phone numbers, having a single box of all contact information, only separated by a line break (and perhaps a line, bullet, tilde or similar). Also, what others said about a back side.

Robo
2010-08-21, 09:01
While your license number is noteworthy, I'd make that whole line a lot smaller and place that at the bottom left...

To be fair, the "Licensed..." line also contains his job description ("Psychologist"), which probably should go next to his name and title, and not the contact info. Unless prohibited by any laws or professional organizations, my instinct would be to reword the line to read "Psychologist, NC License 3234." The most important takeaway from that line is "Psychologist"; "Licensed" is an (admittedly important) modifier and having the word twice on one line is redundant — as he has an NC License number, we can reasonably conclude that he is in fact licensed. Alternatively, tori could change the line to simply read "Psychologist" and put the license info where you say.

I agree with most else you say, about consolidating the contact information; there's too many points of alignment as is (I'm not sure what the fish are aligned to). I might be a bit too forward-thinking on this, but I'd question the need for a (physical) address on the card; how many people are going to visit the practice in person without calling, emailing, or visiting the website first? I'm with Iago on this one; business cards are all about that first instance of contact. I think of business cards as being for an individual, not a building/organization. Alternatively, the address could go on the back, with a larger fish "logo"; that way one side would represent tori and the other side his practice.

Four semicolons. Woo! :p

chucker
2010-08-21, 09:27
To be fair, the "Licensed..." line also contains his job description ("Psychologist"),

Yeah, but I'd merge that into the DBT/CBT bit.

which probably should go next to his name and title, and not the contact info. Unless prohibited by any laws or professional organizations, my instinct would be to reword the line to read "Psychologist, NC License 3234." The most important takeaway from that line is "Psychologist"; "Licensed" is an (admittedly important) modifier and having the word twice on one line is redundant — as he has an NC License number, we can reasonably conclude that he is in fact licensed. Alternatively, tori could change the line to simply read "Psychologist" and put the license info where you say.

Agreed, but see above. "Specializing in DBT and CBT Psychology" or something.

there's too many points of alignment as is (I'm not sure what the fish are aligned to).

Yep.

I might be a bit too forward-thinking on this, but I'd question the need for a (physical) address on the card; how many people are going to visit the practice in person without calling, emailing, or visiting the website first? I'm with Iago on this one; business cards are all about that first instance of contact. I think of business cards as being for an individual, not a building/organization. Alternatively, the address could go on the back, with a larger fish "logo"; that way one side would represent tori and the other side his practice.

Going by that angle, I'm also not sure the fax needs to be on there.

Hassan i Sabbah
2010-08-21, 10:22

I think this is very good.

psmith2.0
2010-08-21, 11:32
The thing that throws me off in the original is the disjointed look. It feels like things are thrown into the corners. And it is a lot of information, which makes it harder. But here's what jumps out at me:

- The mixture of fonts and similar sizes
- Staggered baselines
- The fish seem to "float" and don't really do, or tie to, anything
- The company and Sammy are fighting for dominance/leadership...no sense of hierarchy or "this follows this, etc."
- Everything is close to the edges, yet there's all this open, usable space "trapped" inside
- If the fish are going to be used, and provide a bit of color, why not use that orange-red elsewhere for emphasis? The company's name? Sammy's name?
- The grouping/placement of some of the info (and the redundancy of the "licensing" portion)

I'm not saying I have all the answers (because I don't) or that this is "the solution", but assuming everything on Sammy's original needs to stay (the fax number, etc.), I've repositioned and regrouped things in a way that seems to "cluster" together a bit nicer...the info about the company itself is all together, and sits at the top...next is Sammy and his title/credentials/licensing info, as well as his direct e-mail contact...and then the general address/phone contact at the bottom.

Built this at 200% actual size (4x7)...

http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/sammycard.jpg

chucker
2010-08-21, 11:43
↑ Still too busy for a business card if you ask me, but much clearer. :)

psmith2.0
2010-08-21, 11:52
Yeah, it's a lot of info! I tried to consolidate/condense (and I didn't pull anything out, because I assumed it was all necessary, going by Sammy's original). But if anything can come out (fax number, physical address...assuming the interested party would get those from the website or via phone call/e-mail with Sammy or an appointment setter), it would open up.

Someone mentioned the fax number upthread. It does almost seem quaint or out-of-date, but maybe in this field - records and files, or written material - a fax is used, and the number needs to stay.

I didn't want to make any deletions/omissions, and work directly with what the original had. The only "liberty" I took was the part about his license, and cleaning that up a skootch.

But if you were able to pare down to the absolute nitty-gritty:

http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/sammycard2.jpg

They'll learn, from visiting the URL, what the outfit specializes in. And they'll get an address or fax number from there, or when they schedule an appointment.

This is: the company/URL, Sammy and his relevant credentials/licensing info and the two simplest, direct forms of contact (the only two things I've ever had on any cards I've made for myself, either doing freelance stuff or new Mac setups/switching.

Robo
2010-08-21, 12:00
Leave it to Paul to orange things up a bit :lol:

It's an improvement, although I'm not at all a fan of the all-caps, sorry. :o

chucker
2010-08-21, 12:05
I'm a sucker for small caps. Maybe they'd work?

Robo
2010-08-21, 12:07
I'm a sucker for small caps.

Me too, as long as they're proper small caps and not scaled. :wtf:

Even small caps look kinda weird in URLs, though. But at least it wouldn't be one big mono-height block.

torifile
2010-08-21, 12:11
Thanks for all the feedback. A couple of things -

- the Licensed Psychologist needs to say just that. It's a legal title.
- The license number can be dumped.
- The address I'd like to keep because it helps potential referral sources keep me in mind if someone needs a place near them. It also ensures that if a client needs to pass my info along to another agency, it makes it over correctly.
- The fax number: I'd just as soon not have a fax at all but, as 'scates said, it's needed.
- The tagline, I guess, could go but I really want people to associate my practice with evidence based treatments. Think of DBT and CBT as code words amongst providers that say "I don't just make my shit up as I go along" or "you'll be getting better than someone's uninformed opinion here".

I'll work up another draft. I was pretty limited in my tools yesterday since I don't have Photoshop on my MBP. Now that I'm back at home I have more options.

torifile
2010-08-21, 12:13
I'm a sucker for small caps. Maybe they'd work?

Small caps are definitely going to be tried. Like I said, I was limited to pixelmator yesterday and I couldn't find an option for small caps anywhere. Ditto for tracking options.

psmith2.0
2010-08-21, 12:13
Leave it to Paul to orange things up a bit :lol:

It's an improvement, although I'm not at all a fan of the all-caps, sorry. :o

The fish was already there. I just sampled its gills...I had nothing to do with it. If the fish had been green, so would the type. :)

Robo
2010-08-21, 12:17
The tagline, I guess, could go but I really want people to associate my practice with evidence based treatments. Think of DBT and CBT as code words amongst providers that say "I don't just make my shit up as I go along" or "you'll be getting better than someone's uninformed opinion here".

That's interesting. I (who had to look up the abbreviations on Wikipedia) sort of assumed the tagline was intended to let people know you "did" DBT and CBT, and not only DBT, as "Durham DBT, Inc." might imply. (But I have no idea what either of those really mean, or even if they're the same thing or not, so I don't know if that's something a potential client would assume. :))

Robo
2010-08-21, 12:23
The fish was already there. I just sampled its gills...I had nothing to do with it. If the fish had been green, so would the type. :)

It wasn't a criticism. :p I already said that I would knock a white-line fish out of an all-orange back, so I would do the orange thing too. :D Orange is a good color for a psychologist -- it's still fairly unique in the field, a bit trendy, but it's not lacking in gravitas, and since it's based on the fish illustration it won't become dated too fast (like a generic web 2.0 orange would).

psmith2.0
2010-08-21, 12:25
Robo was right, the subhead ("Specializing in..." and the URL) look better in mixed-case.

I split the bottom as well, address on the left, numbers on the right. It looks a bit "tilt-y", but what can you do? :)

But it kinda opens it up a bit, I guess.

And then I removed the license number (he said it wasn't necessary) and just put his licensed title (and moved his e-mail back up to that line).

http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/sammycard3.jpg

I've just skimmed the thread. Do orange circular fish mean something in the field?

Robo
2010-08-21, 12:35
I've just skimmed the thread. Do orange circular fish mean something in the field?

Not that I know of. I'm going to use the excuse to post to one of my all-time favorite wellness brands, though:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/Childrens_logo.png

Aww.

FFL
2010-08-21, 12:59
I split the bottom as well, address on the left, numbers on the right. It looks a bit "tilt-y", but what can you do? :)

Try it with the email address moved to the phone/fax block, and the street address broken into 3 lines with "Suite" fully spelled out:

5850 Fayetteville Rd.
Suite 201
Durham, NC 27713

and

919-267-8675 (T)
919-287-2959 (F)
banawan@durhamdbt.com

torifile
2010-08-21, 13:48
Can we work the blue in there somehow? I really like that color. And the font - I like Trebuchet and since I'm trying to unify my cards and my site, I'd love to get it in there.

psmith2.0
2010-08-21, 14:00
There's an idea! Back to all-black type too...

http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/sammycard5.jpg

ezkcdude
2010-08-21, 14:26
It reminds me of the yin-yang fish from The Last Airbender.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Yin-and-Yang-avatar-the-last-airbender-427391_591_527.jpg

Brad
2010-08-21, 14:30
There's an idea! Back to all-black type too...

http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/sammycard5.jpg

This I really like, but the asymmetry of the fish still bothers me a little. Could be a turn-off if any potential patients have an OCD for such things, which might not be outside the realm of likelihood.

I'm also not too sure about the faded background fish. It looks fine here, but I wonder how well it'll transfer to the printed cards, especially if the printing equipment has to visibly halftone them or something. I guess most card printers nowadays are high-res full-color, though, making that less of a concern.

Also, what the hell happened to me last night? Maybe I need to find myself a good psychiatrist…

RowdyScot
2010-08-21, 14:37
Clearly, you started making AWESOME, Brad. :lol:

thegeriatric
2010-08-21, 14:53
It's the stress of running AN. Take 2 pills and call me in the morning if things aren't clearer. :lol:

Robo
2010-08-21, 16:17
I'm also not too sure about the faded background fish.

FWIW, I just now realized what they were, since you said something. I thought it was just some marbled texture or something. Of course, I probably have a pretty washed out or otherwise "off" display (using a Sony TV as a monitor right now).

psmith2.0
2010-08-21, 16:31
No, it's enlarged, ghosted fishies. :)

Ghost Fish. Tonight on SyFy. Starring Lorenzo Lamas. Boo!

RowdyScot
2010-08-21, 16:55
I can hardly see the background fish, and I calibrated with SuperCal. Grrr...

psmith2.0
2010-08-21, 17:25
It's probably on my end. Who knows how I'm calibrated? I think, though, it's a little lighter on the most recent one above than some of the earlier ones. I must've backed the opacity down on that layer...

torifile
2010-08-22, 21:30
Ok. Going from 'scates' version, I've come up with this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73392/Business_Card_v2.png

The black border is only for reference so I could print it out on regular paper and see how it would look. I'm not sold on the black text and the spacing of the layers seems off some how. Is my name too tight to the fish? On the back, I'm going to just use the fish with my URL.

I toyed with what bobsky suggested with a side view of the fish and the yin yang on the back and I'm not sure how it came out.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73392/Business_Card-split.png

For those wondering:
Re: middle initials. It's something that I think many people hold on to from grad school. When you're a student, you've often got professors who use their middle initials - I imagine for searchability in publications - so we use our middle initials. Even if we don't go into academia, we don't want what little we've published to be dissassociated from us. Granted I've got a unique name but it's just convention. And I think it sounds better. :)

Re: the fish. Nothing significant except that it's an adaptation of an ancient japanese painting (I think) and I like the symbolism. Balance, with the yin yang and teaching with the whole "teach a man to fish" thing.
Thoughts? I still would really like to get some blue in there somewhere...

psmith2.0
2010-08-22, 21:44
I think those are much better than your very first one. I prefer the first one, with the fish in a circle.

I don't believe your name is too tight on the first, but that upper text block ("DURHAM DBT, INC.") is tracked way out.

Were you thinking about adding some color to the type, as I did earlier? Is that what you're referring to when you say you're not sold on the black type? Sample that darker orange from the fish and try your name and DURHAM DBT, INC. and see?

I'm assuming you're building this card, like me, at 200%. When you shrink back down to final 3.5x2 print size, how's the size on those address/phone blocks gonna be? That was something I keep messing with, trying to keep them at no smaller than 16pt. (because that would be 8pt. on the actual size). But I've used 7pt. before (but I hate going below that, especially if you think some older folks might be viewing).

torifile
2010-08-22, 21:46
I think those are much better than your very first one. I prefer the first one, with the fish in a circle.
Of course they are! They used your card as the inspiration. :) Thoughts on the font color and spacing of everything? I honestly don't like the trebuchet as much as the one that you used, but I think that font works well on my site and it's on my office door, so for better or worse, I think it's got to stay.

psmith2.0
2010-08-22, 21:51
Ah, yeah...tying it in and all. I wasn't considering all that.

Well, I'm glad you liked what I did. Or considered it worthy of a solid "jumping-off" point for further refining. :)

You can easily try splashing that orange on your name and/or the company's name? My only concern, and I brought it up in my previous post, was how small will that address/phone info get at actual size? It might not be an issue, but it's tough to judge at 200% (and it looks kinda small there).

But yeah, if you've got the orange fishies and the same typeface spread across your site and your door and all, that'll go a long way toward a cohesive "same guy/outfit" look, for sure. Is that Trebuchet in the company name tracked out? It looks normal and fine everywhere else.

torifile
2010-08-22, 22:03
The tracking on DURHAM DBT, INC. is so that the first line is blocked with the second. It's a little tracked out on my site but not that much. I'm generally not a fan of centered alignment so I prefer the blocking but it is a little too tracked out. Short of using a smaller font size on the second line, I'm not sure what I can do.

I'll try the darker orange on the font and see how that looks.

Robo
2010-08-22, 22:08
Thoughts? I still would really like to get some blue in there somewhere...

Then add some blue! As you might have noticed, orange and blue is a very popular color combination. (Just look at movie posters. (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/11/27/orangeblue-contrast-in-movie-posters/)) They're complementary (opposites on the color wheel), yes, but it's mainly that they strike a nice balance in value: red and green are also complementary, but their values are too similar, likewise yellow and purple are complementary but their values contrast too much. (That they're pretty much the quintessential "cool" and "warm" colors probably has something to do with it, too -- "fire and ice," and all that.)

Of course, blue/orange palettes really are everywhere -- AT&T, ING, Sunny D. It's pretty much the definitive palette of Web 2.0, but that doesn't make it bad (again, Seattle Children's is the Most Triumphant Example here). If you really like it, go for it -- it's not mind-blowingly original, but you won't scare people away or anything.

WRT the current card design, I'd worry that the text on the bottom will be too small when printed on an actual business card. EDIT: Jesus, Paul beat me to it, by like two replies.

torifile
2010-08-22, 22:11
Then add some blue! As you might have noticed, orange and blue is a very popular color combination. (Just look at movie posters. (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/11/27/orangeblue-contrast-in-movie-posters/)) They're complementary (opposites on the color wheel), yes, but it's mainly that they strike a nice balance in value: red and green are also complementary, but their values are too similar, likewise yellow and purple are complementary but their values contrast too much. (That they're pretty much the quintessential "cool" and "warm" colors probably has something to do with it, too -- "fire and ice," and all that.)

Of course, blue/orange palettes really are everywhere -- AT&T, ING, Sunny D. It's pretty much the definitive palette of Web 2.0, but that doesn't make it bad (again, Seattle Children's is the Most Triumphant Example here). If you really like it, go for it -- it's not mind-blowingly original, but you won't scare people away or anything.

WRT the current card design, I'd worry that the text on the bottom will be too small when printed on an actual business card.
Re: the blue. But where? And I have a really hard time picking out complimentary colors.

The font at the bottom isn't too small, IMHO. I printed out the actual size and it's perfectly legible. It is 6 pt. so it might be but it looks ok to me. I'll see if bumping it up a point helps.

torifile
2010-08-22, 22:18
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73392/Business_Card_blue.png

Increasing the font size for the bottom blocks makes it too tight to my name. There are "safe" borders that I force me to move them up a bit too much.

psmith2.0
2010-08-22, 22:45
Put 'em on a sheet, 10-up, and let it rip. It's a vast improvement, it's got all the needed info. I monkeyed with it enough yesterday afternoon to realize it doesn't allow for any big, drastic changes once you get it to this stage (what with fitting everything and stuff). It ties in to your site and stuff, but the info is displayed a little cleaner/more logically, so barring any "stop the presses!" comments from anyone else, that might be what you go with.

Self-printing, then? That's what I do. I don't even have that perforated business card stock. I print mine out on the thickest paper my printer will take and manually cut them out with a sharp Xacto, cutting mat and metal ruler. I keep 5-10 in my wallet, 5-10 in my car and I've given friends and relatives a few so in case they run across anyone interested in switching to the Mac (or who needs something drawn or retouched...I have two different cards relating to each pursuit), they'll have them.

Robo
2010-08-22, 23:00
Put 'em on a sheet, 10-up, and let it rip. It's a vast improvement, it's got all the needed info. I monkeyed with it enough yesterday afternoon to realize it doesn't allow for any big, drastic changes once you get it to this stage (what with fitting everything and stuff). It ties in to your site and stuff, but the info is displayed a little cleaner/more logically, so barring any "stop the presses!" comments from anyone else, that might be what you go with..

I agree. There's things I'd change, but they're all on the content and branding side, things that are probably outside the realm of this thread (and my pay grade ;)). If everything on the card absolutely has to stay there, I can't really think of a better arrangement. And if he is self-printing, it's not like he can't change later if he decides that he prefers a white card with grey text or whatever. As is, it's a pleasant card that should nicely match his site, door, &c. That's a lot more than can be said for most smallish businesses. :)

One more thing: I noticed that the address on the card and the address on the bottom of the site are different...?

alcimedes
2010-08-22, 23:31
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73392/Business_Card_blue.png

Increasing the font size for the bottom blocks makes it too tight to my name. There are "safe" borders that I force me to move them up a bit too much.

Wow, that looks fantastic now!

torifile
2010-08-23, 05:38
Thanks everyone. :) I'm going to get some card stock Avery thingies and print them on my old job's fancy color laser printer. Any suggestions for doing it two sided?

And Robo, I'm moving offices on Thursday. Into a much nicer space. I'm really looking forward to it. :)