PDA

View Full Version : I need a super cheep webhost.

jdcfsu
2010-09-03, 09:36
I want to host my archive of old WordPress posts (it doesn't need to be through WordPress, it could just be the HMTL files) and have it be a landing page linking to all my other sites. It gets almost no traffic (just a dozen or so unique hits a day on the old articles through google) and uses almost no bandwidth.

Is this something MobileMe can do? I haven't ever used the domain/site hosting with them before. If not, what about something like https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/? They seem really cheep, but are they worthwhile? Has anyone had luck with them? Thanks guys.

turtle
2010-09-03, 11:55
Surpasshosting.com (http://www.surpasshosting.com/hosting-shared-solutions.php) has been pretty good for about $60 a year. That doesn't seem that bad for basic hosting and they do have MySQL built in. I outgrew them and don't really use them at all though I still have one account with them. I wouldn't use them if you were going to host email or anything other than basic pages. Sounds like it's perfect for what you're looking to do.

PKIDelirium
2010-09-03, 17:45
I use the lowest Surpass shared plan, been on them since early 2005. Never had a problem, and I have an IPB forum, Coppermine galleries, and an email account, all used on a daily basis.

jdcfsu
2010-09-03, 21:29
I don't know. $7 a month still seems a bit steep just to house a few static html pages. We're talking about 70MB total disk space. If MobileMe allowed you to use a private domain with anything other than iWeb, this would be a simple solution (or if Dreamhost domains could point to MobileMe for that matter).

turtle
2010-09-03, 23:56
Why not use a host you already have then? Surely you can have more than one domain with them.

2010-09-04, 00:05
I'll throw in for Surpass as well. I took them up on a recommendation from PKI some time ago and I couldn't be happier. I'm not a power-user by any means - hell, my website is a single page - but they've been rock solid for the whole time. I mostly use my host for setting up client FTP boxes, and never once have they had a glitch. I've transfered hundreds and hundreds of GB all smooth as silk.

2010-09-04, 00:13
Or just go with the Google sites thing. Isn't that free? I think the Standard Edition is.

[edit]: I just did a quick Google-through of their sites thing...and it's not very intuitive. Frankly, it looks confusing. :\

jdcfsu
2010-09-04, 06:36
Why not use a host you already have then? Surely you can have more than one domain with them.

I'm on Dreamhost and when I signed up there was a special two years for $14 or something insane like that. My two years expires in December and the amount of stuff I have doesn't merit the $9 a month they usually charge.

What I'd really be happy with is something like Flavors.me that lets you do your own HTML/CSS. Like I said, I don't need much.

Gargoyle
2010-09-04, 15:51
I don't know. $7 a month still seems a bit steep just to house a few static html pages.

What exactly are you expecting? If you actually break it down there is a hell of a lot of infrastructure in place "just to house a few static html pages"!

Why don't you just get a dynDNS entry and put them on your own broadband connection?

turtle
2010-09-05, 00:14
So how much traffic do you get on this site? Is it your personal site or for an organization?

Seems the uses are endless if you get a real webhost, though I like what Gargoyle recommended too. Maybe your ISP even gives you hosting space with your service. Don't think they'd do CNAME changes though.