PDA

View Full Version : Console.log repeating message... wtf is 1193?

Paul
2004-05-31, 02:39
these lines keep repeating in Console:
Looking for devices matching vendor ID=1193 and product ID=8717
Looking for devices matching vendor ID=1193 and product ID=8718
Looking for devices matching vendor ID=1193 and product ID=8717
Looking for devices matching vendor ID=1193 and product ID=8718
any ideas?

As I was writing this post I thought why don't I google it (http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=%22Looking+for+devices+matching+vendor+ID%3D1193 +and+product+ID%3D8717%0D%0ALooking+for+devices+ma tching+vendor+ID%3D1193+and+product+ID%3D8718%22&btnG=Search)?
after doing so I shed some light (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030601001541548) on the situation...

hmmm it seems that canon's drivers were shittier then I thought...

anyone know if it is safe to trash the console.log file? do I need anything in there? can't I just get rid of the useless crap that takes up 10MB per day for the past like month?

Gargoyle
2004-05-31, 04:55
There is an option in the console log program to clear the files. Better doing it that way than just binning it.

Also, unless you are a total insomniac and your puter is awake all the time try running these terminal commands once in a while...

"periodic daily" tries to run at 3:15am each day.
"periodic weekly" tries to run at 4:30am on Sunday. (I think)
"periodic monthly" tries to run at 5:30am on the 1st of each month.

These scripts do some generic clean up, rotating log files and emptying temporary directories. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am about 95% confident that if your system is not on at these times then the scripts will not run when you next wake up your system.

Oh, almost forgot - these need to be run as root.

thuh Freak
2004-05-31, 22:59
These scripts do some generic clean up, rotating log files and emptying temporary directories. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am about 95% confident that if your system is not on at these times then the scripts will not run when you next wake up your system.
i'm pretty sure that you are right, and those periodic programs will only run at their specified times. if we're right, its because they are controlled by a program called 'cron', which assumes the computer to be on 24-7. there is a very similar program called 'anacron', which doesn't assume your computer to be on all the time. and would execute tasks on a more loose schedule. if osx doesn't use anacron by default for those programs, i'm 99% confident that fink (http://fink.sf.net) can be made to do it. iirc, after installing the fink system, a call to 'apt-get anacron' would be all you need to replace osx's default cron tasks with anacron versions. and fink is just great in so many ways for an osx system, that you really should get it. oh, and fink is free.

Paul
2004-05-31, 23:23
oh, and fink is free.I have it :) gotta love freeciv... but I also have macaroni and that takes care of my cron needs for the time being (I also use it to get rid of localized content that I don't want taking up space)

but it would be helpful if you wrote up a cron --> anacron replacement guide and posted it to the FAQ... (be sure to explicitly state that Fink is required)

I'm sure many people would be interested in that kind of information...

Luca
2004-06-01, 02:44
If you have 10.3.4, you no longer need to manually run the cron scripts. One of the enhancements for 10.3.4 was that scheduled events, such as cron scripts and software update checks, would be performed upon startup if the computer was asleep or off at the scheduled time. Nice little feature... so I guess there's not much need for little utilities to do that like MacJanitor anymore. They're still useful for other stuff, though, like clearing log files and caches.