PDA

View Full Version : PCT October, 2010: Outside the Frame

BuonRotto
2010-10-20, 05:37
This month's challenge is: Outside the Frame.

We are taught to capture a subject within the frame of our viewfinder, but that frame can also bring meaning and emotion by excluding content too. Anticipation, hope, infinity, and engagement are some of the feelings and reactions this kind of exercise can express. At the same time, having what is in the frame refer compositionally to something off frame is a challenge, both forcing the photographer to choose what they capture more carefully, thinking about both the 2D space of the frame and the 3D depth within it.

Every image will have a story. The photographer may have something specific in mind, or the observer may have their own interpretation of what they see. Feel free to post a story if you wish. You can reveal what is going on outside of the image in words or another picture, but you must use spoiler tags! The photograph must stand on it's own.

This might be overly ambitious, but I hope folks will be motivated to try some new stuff. I know that it will make a great assignment for me personally even though I'm not in the running. I can't wait to see what others here can do!

Good luck and happy shooting!

Can a helpful admin or mod please fix the typo in the title? Thank you!

Wyatt
2010-10-20, 06:38
I love this idea. I'll have to try to remember to actually participate this month.

evan
2010-10-20, 11:25
intriguing... I like it :)

Gargoyle
2010-10-20, 17:17
Oh, a new topic! Bit confused with the timing though. I thought it was aligned to the start/end of the month.

With the few slow months that we have had is this a short, get out there and shoot your socks off in the next 10 days, or are you running till mid Nov?

Which I suppose would allow for an extended xmas one to run till first week in Jan!?!

Chinney
2010-10-20, 21:28
[...]

Can a helpful admin or mod please fix the typo in the title? Thank you!

I assumed that "Octiber" was deliberate to stay outside of the frame of the soul-sucking constraints imposed by standardized spelling. Rage on, 'Rotto!

PB PM
2010-10-21, 02:42
Oh, a new topic! Bit confused with the timing though. I thought it was aligned to the start/end of the month.

With the few slow months that we have had is this a short, get out there and shoot your socks off in the next 10 days, or are you running till mid Nov?

Which I suppose would allow for an extended xmas one to run till first week in Jan!?!
We had a winner who never picked a topic so the last one started late (mid month), so it just happened to work out that we aren't starting at the beginning of the month anymore. Should still run 30 days from the day of the topic being listed.

BuonRotto
2010-10-21, 14:24
Yeah, we'll say the 15th of the month for now, see how contributions roll in. If we need to roll it back more, it can be the October/November PCT.

Bryson
2010-10-21, 14:30
Why not just let this one run long and reset to the beginning of the month? ie: Deadline for this would be the end of November....?

Brad
2010-10-21, 14:31
Why not just let this one run long and reset to the beginning of the month? ie: Deadline for this would be the end of November....?

I second this motion.

Robo
2010-10-21, 15:24
I think that's what I said last time, but... :lol:

billybobsky
2010-10-21, 19:03
My recommendation: Submissions close 5 days before the first of the month; announcement of winner is same day or next day; if by first topic has not been posted by winner, runner up must post a topic, if not topic reverts to some sort of preconceived list and judged by the moderators.

or something to that effect.

This makes sure there isn't a creep of the dates. The topic can revert to a moderator if the preconceived list idea is disliked.

Chinney
2010-11-13, 20:16
Let's get this started.....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5172897519_5bf9d31739_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/18678497@N03/5172897519/sizes/l/)

October 30. Public transit as night was falling. On this way to.....

(Sorry for the focus, but it is what it is.....)

AWR
2010-11-14, 01:14
Hoskets!? Scotiabank.

(Cute in any event)

Chinney
2010-11-14, 08:16
Hoskets!? Scotiabank.

[...]

Yup! :)

I did mention this in another thread.

It was the night of the first snow which was melting as it first hit the ground. I'm not fond of fighting the traffic jams out to Scotiabank Place, so we were taking the bus and the pic was taken as we were waiting at the bus stop to catch a ride to the game.

He was disappointed that the Sens were beaten in the game itself...but as we got out of the arena very wet snow had accumulated and we had snowball fights all the way from the bus stop to home. He liked his first live NHL game, but it is the snowball fight that I think that he liked best. The snow has since melted, but the 'real' stuff that stays will be with us soon, no doubt.

Dorian Gray
2010-11-14, 17:14
Here's my provisional entry:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/911/frameo.jpg

Love the theme, BuonRotto, even though it sounds like something an architect would dream up. ;)

billybobsky
2010-11-21, 00:11
wow it's been a month?!?!

turtle
2010-11-21, 13:38
Here is my entry...I hope it fits the idea of the theme. It's been one of the hardest for me to make creative some how...

http://turtle2472.com/an/IMG_4483_1.png
The lion was having a "conversation" with a tiger next door. I think he was helping the tiger understand who was still king. Sadly I only had the lion fact me while roaring once and my camera wasn't ready. :(

PB PM
2010-11-22, 04:34
And here is my entry.

http://robdphotos.smugmug.com/photos/1100365985_tCcWG-L.jpg

GSpotter
2010-11-22, 14:53
Here's mine:

http://web.me.com/vwurst/np/ut2010/fotograf1.jpg

ezkcdude
2010-11-22, 16:53
Another lion pic!

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3561471-md.jpg

evan
2010-11-25, 11:02
I think I've got one but won't be able to upload until saturday or sunday... are we really making the due date 5 days before? I guess in a pinch I might be able to scrounge up an sd card reader at my relatives' houses or something...

evan
2010-11-29, 12:08
http://gallery.me.com/evan.wingfield/100037/_MG_1946/web.jpg?ver=12910502840001

here we go!

taken from the balcony of the newseum in washington DC. "Outside the Frame" refers both to the complete lack of cars (odd for pennsylvania ave), or the trees casting huge shadows across the road (which wouldn't be nearly as distinguishable if there were cars). The cyclist adds some balance and movement to the photo (i think).

Noel
2010-11-29, 14:57
taken from the balcony of the newseum in washington DC. "Outside the Frame" refers both to the complete lack of cars (odd for pennsylvania ave), or the trees casting huge shadows across the road (which wouldn't be nearly as distinguishable if there were cars). The cyclist adds some balance and movement to the photo (i think).

Dude, when were you there? I was there for most of the day on Saturday. Quite a place!

evan
2010-11-29, 15:46
Dude, when were you there? I was there for most of the day on Saturday. Quite a place!

Wednesday, and yeah it's an awesome museum. The pulitzer photo room was stunning (to be somewhat relevant to this thread...) but I think the Katrina exhibit stole the show.

evan
2010-11-30, 14:36
last day?

billybobsky
2010-11-30, 23:43
Curse of PCT photo challenge... BuonRotto has gone missing from this site since the 12th... He's still kicking around the internet, so maybe he'll pop his head in tomorrow?

evan
2010-12-01, 02:09
one can hope...

BuonRotto
2010-12-01, 19:53
I'm not dead yet!

turtle
2010-12-01, 19:58
:)

Can't wait to hear your pick and why. This really was a hard topic for me to envision what you were after.

evan
2010-12-01, 20:27
:)

Can't wait to hear your pick and why. This really was a hard topic for me to envision what you were after.

pins and needles! note to self: don't anxiously wait for updates to the Creative Endeavors subforum. something about a watched pot...

BuonRotto
2010-12-01, 21:12
I'll tell you what, it's hard to choose! I haven't read any of the spoiler tags, just going by the pictures. I think despite folks saying they struggled with what I was after, it looks like you all got it.

The most subtle is PB PM's entry, so I'm drawn to it. GSpotter's is the clearest example and probably what I would enter if I were in the running (and had any time this month to partake). Both turtle's and ezkcdude's (the iPad spell checker tries to correct your handle to say "exorcist" by the way) also are similar though what's interesting is that turtle's pic captures voice and ezkc's captures a gaze (or two, in fact).

Evan, shame on your coach K loving ways, but you win the challenge this month! The composition is the most interesting for one. Also, the the implication of trees suggests nature just out of view, but the asphalt fills the frame and makes for the strongest juxtaposition of inside versus outside of your view. Congrats to Evan!

As a reward to the others for your efforts, please consider an easier challenge for this month. I think I bit off more than I could chew. ;)

PB PM
2010-12-01, 21:21
Evan's shot is very good, congrats!

evan
2010-12-01, 21:24
I actually won something! :) Thanks for the challenge this month BuonRotto and everyone else for all the entries!

I've got an idea for the december challenge in mind, just gotta write up a good prompt for you guys :devil:

billybobsky
2010-12-01, 21:33
Congrats, evan!

turtle
2010-12-01, 21:49
Congratulations evan!! Awesome news. :) I loved your shot too actually.

GSpotter
2010-12-02, 13:56
Congrats, evan! Your shot would have been my choice, too if I were the jury...

Dorian Gray
2010-12-02, 14:55
Yeah, hard to lose with that shot. Congrats, evan!

Chinney
2010-12-03, 06:12
Challenging topic, but a great shot won it. Congratulations evan.