PDA

View Full Version : Getting into professional programming

evan
2010-11-16, 01:24
So I'm a semester and a half from graduation, and until recently I was thinking pretty definitely that I wanted to go to law school, but now I'm not so sure. I've finally gotten around to taking computer science classes with a much more practical approach of working on long-term projects rather than theory, discrete math, and data structures. I really like these classes and projects (even if I have to ask for help here sometimes ;)). I'm working on two iOS projects and another one of my class has been focusing on the Nokia N900 camera APIs (not as cool but still pretty interesting to program) and I'm thinking that I could be very happy doing some of this stuff for a living.

Ideally I would get a job (or internship for a few months-year then real employment) with a smallish software company doing what I've enjoyed this semester: iOS apps. I'd also be happy doing web development (although I've only scratched the surface of it) or, if given the chance, learning how to work with other languages/systems, maybe working on games or OS X development. Basically I'm open to a lot of stuff but I would like to focus my job search on companies that focus on producing apps/games/websites either of their own design or working with clients and getting hired out.

What's the best way to go about doing this? Would it be best to delay my search until after this semester when I can show them my completed projects to supplement my resume and academic record or start now? Do the types of companies I'm looking for even look to hire this far in advance of my actual employment (I couldn't actually be somewhere else to work until after I graduate). I also go to school in Virginia and am looking for jobs in Texas, preferably Dallas. I'll be there over winter break for potential interviews so I was thinking of emailing them as the semester winds down and trying to set stuff up, does that sound feasible? I haven't had any professional programming experience, so in light of that is there anything I can do to make up for it outside of the projects I'm working on for school?

In addition to some of these questions, any advice about working as a software developer or web developer in general or specifically geared to starting out for those professions would be tremendously helpful. :)

EDIT: fyi, this is similar to what I had in mind: http://nsquaresoft.com/about_recruit.htm (either web or iphone developer positions).