PDA

View Full Version : Best Notepad < $300 ?

drewprops
2011-02-08, 10:13
I need a lappy for doing writing out in the field (ie, coffee shops and strip clubs) and don't want to spend a lot for something that will merely be used for word processing, so I've decided to look at netbooks. So far, the only thing that I know that I want is a keyboard that feels good to type on. Any suggestions? Anything to avoid? Remember, this is just word processing, it'll be okay if it isn't a Mac... and no, I don't want to type on an iPad!!

Wyatt
2011-02-08, 10:52
I've not done any long-form typing on them, but we have some Toshiba netbooks at work, and I'm very impressed with them. They seem sturdy, and the keyboard feels decent. The only downside is the trackpad, but I tend to dislike any trackpads except Apple's. If I was buying a netbook, I'm not sure I'd buy one from anyone but Toshiba.

Here are a few around $300 from NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006746+4018+50001259&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=772&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

The hardware in netbooks will be generally identical. (After all, the options OEMs have at those price points are pretty limited.) The main differentiating factors tend to be keyboards and build quality, IMO.

Kyros
2011-02-09, 18:39
If I were you I'd try to find a used G4 powerbook, or even a used MacBook, they're starting to dip below $500 used now (although you would be hard pressed to find one for $300, I suppose). I don't think a G4 would be any weaker than your average netbook, and a 12 inch model isn't that much bigger. I still use one as my main machine, and it can go beyond just word processing if you need it to.

Dorian Gray
2011-02-09, 19:13
The hardware in netbooks will be generally identical. (After all, the options OEMs have at those price points are pretty limited.) The main differentiating factors tend to be keyboards and build quality, IMO.
I agree that the main issues are hardware quality, but I'm not up to date on who's best there (I'd guess Samsung are up there). However, some interesting things are starting to happen in terms of processors and GPUs, the most obvious being dual-core Atoms and AMD's fancy Fusion platform (I think there's already a shipping Toshiba with an AMD Ontario processor). These actually make netbooks a good deal faster than the G4 PowerBooks Kyros mentions, though a PowerBook is a little faster than a single-core Atom (especially graphics, etc.).

Luca
2011-02-09, 19:17
If I were you I'd try to find a used G4 powerbook, or even a used MacBook, they're starting to dip below $500 used now (although you would be hard pressed to find one for $300, I suppose). I don't think a G4 would be any weaker than your average netbook, and a 12 inch model isn't that much bigger. I still use one as my main machine, and it can go beyond just word processing if you need it to.

For that matter, a used PC notebook might fit the bill as well.

It's hard to find a good balance though. Netbooks generally go for portability; unfortunately, it means the keyboard is really small. But they also have the advantages of high battery life and they're new.

A Mac notebook will give you pretty good portability and a better keyboard at the cost of worse battery life and a higher price. A used PC notebook is pretty much the same thing, except the build quality may suffer in exchange for a lower price. Older laptops tend to have really poor batteries too. And if they have a low quality keyboard, that might be a bit beat up as well, but you really don't know unless you try it out yourself.

Basically, I'm sure you can get a decent PC laptop for under $300 whereas it'll be hard to find a decent Mac laptop for the same price. You do give up some things if you get a PC laptop, but on the other hand, all older laptops tend to develop problems (Apple or otherwise).