PDA

View Full Version : MC: AppleNova Minecraft Deathmatch Arena

Bryson
2011-01-01, 23:40
Sweet! I suggest that the next community project should be an arena for epic battles. Maybe behind the AN sign?

Can any of us spawn mobs now, or just El Presidente?

Atariboy
2011-01-02, 10:38
Sweet! I suggest that the next community project should be an arena for epic battles. Maybe behind the AN sign?

Can any of us spawn mobs now, or just El Presidente?

Hmm. Roman coliseum?

*Edit* In other news, the Zeppelin is undergoing some changes in balloon shape and size for more zeppelinesque qualities. You can see the new silhouette and how it compares to the old by looking at the shadows on the water */edit*

Bryson
2011-01-03, 01:20
I've started levelling the ground for the Arena and I've marked out the basic dimensions - by pure chance there's a dungeon with a spider spawner just under the North end. My plan is to build steps down to the spawner and put in remotely operated steel doors so we can release the spiders!

I was going to make the floor and first two levels of walls out of Obsidian so it was mostly Creeper-proof, but after doing the math, that's somewhere in the region of 2000 blocks of Obsidian!

Bonn89
2011-01-07, 14:42
I just checked out the progress on the Arena, it's coming along excellently. I'm getting ready to lay the foundation for a fast-transport system from Bridgeport to the Arena via minecart. Going to have it pass in front of the AN sign over the water for extra prettiness. :P

Bonn89
2011-01-10, 20:04
We need to collect any and all saddles we find from now on for pig-back jousting matches in the arena. Agreed?

Bryson
2011-01-11, 16:04
I'm excited to see what's happened while I was away! Back around in Monday, maybe, when I'll start on some audience stands and facilities for the Arena. For now, onwards to Kona!

Bryson
2011-01-19, 00:38
I'm extremely pleased with my automated transit between the treehouse and the ranch - although it sometimes fails to work if there are 2 or more other players nearby. The more Players in the same chunk, the more the minecarts lag. That means the same design may not work in Bridgeport. But I could have a go at putting one in the Bridgeport Monorail station and another at the arena. It'll need a booster or two along the way, though.

alcimedes
2011-01-19, 16:02
ooh, there should be an applenova coliseum, with different mob spawners behind different gates. Break down the gate and all the mobs rush out, only to find other mobs are the only thing in reach.

Cue the death fest while AN minecrafters watch from the stands, high above the mobs.

Could even place bets on which set of monsters will win out, zombies, spider or skele's.

Brad
2011-01-19, 17:42
ooh, there should be an applenova coliseum, with different mob spawners behind different gates. Break down the gate and all the mobs rush out, only to find other mobs are the only thing in reach.

Cue the death fest while AN minecrafters watch from the stands, high above the mobs.

Could even place bets on which set of monsters will win out, zombies, spider or skele's.

We actually have built a coliseum-style "arena" with this idea in mind! :) It even has an obsidian floor to protect the structure from creeper explosion damage. Back when I had hMod running, we tested various spawners in the arena including Skeleton, Zombie, and Monster. Creepers didn't seem to want to spawn from a spawner cube, though, which makes sense because a creeper would just blow up the spawner. Giants wouldn't come out of the spawner, but I could force one to appear anyway like we did that one time in Bridgeport.

Well, this idea did come up after someone complained about griefers.

Perhaps a new spawn point for griefers instead of banning them?
I like that idea. If I could get one of the (several) warp mods working in Bukkit, it might be possible to send a griefer to the area that way.

Brad
2011-01-19, 19:36

We actually have built a coliseum-style "arena" with this idea in mind! :) It even has an obsidian floor to protect the structure from creeper explosion damage.

Pictures! Here's an isometric birds-eye-view of the aforementioned arena:

http://i.imgur.com/r0mA6.png

I forgot that we also set down a single layer of sand inside to give it a better feel and to improve visibility over the near-black obsidian.

Bryson
2011-01-19, 20:20
Pictures! Here's an isometric birds-eye-view of the aforementioned arena:

http://i.imgur.com/r0mA6.png

I forgot that we also set down a single layer of sand inside to give it a better feel and to improve visibility over the near-black obsidian.

You can see that I've started (but not finished) the upper stands for the Arena, as well as building a "Season Ticket Holders" entrance from the hill behind the AN sign.

Kraetos
2011-01-31, 19:05
Interesting: I think I might be building something similar next as I'm stockpiling bricks, smooth stone and bookcases! Maybe we could collaborate?

I'm looking at building a brick library building with a clocktower (complete with bell). My intention was to base it on the Braithwaite Hall at the Croydon Clocktower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon_Clocktower) mainly because I used to work there (and because the Tory council are in the process of shutting it down...sigh...) so I know the layout really well.

Much respect to Brad's texture package as it makes finding clay a lot easier - it looks closer to dirt in colour now, instead of being almost exactly like stone in the regular textures.

Interesting. I'm not building a library, actually. What I am building will remain secret until someone identifies it; that someone will most likely be Brad :p

Bryson
2011-01-31, 19:18
Fair enough. I guess we will have to scour the map for clay and do battle if we both find the same deposit!

Kraetos
2011-02-01, 12:50
Fair enough. I guess we will have to scour the map for clay and do battle if we both find the same deposit!

I don't actually need *that* many bricks. Lapis is the priority. But yeah, if we find clay at the same time in the same place... it's on.

Bryson
2011-02-01, 13:03
Knowing us, it'll be more of a case of who dies by mistake first. :)

Kraetos
2011-02-01, 13:15
Knowing us, it'll be more of a case of who dies by mistake first. :)

Good point, especially when you consider that my weapon of choice is a bucket of lava :p

I mean, diamond swords are cool, but there's no coming back from hot magma to the face.

Kraetos
2011-02-01, 13:53
This conversation got me thinking. We should use the arena for deathmatches. I submit the following rules:

- Two men enter, one man leaves. You go in with no inventory.
- There will be 11 chests scattered across the arena, each containing a useful item. The items are: 2 stone swords, 1 iron sword, 2 leather chestplates, 1 iron chestplate, 2 bows w/ 3 arrows, 2 stacks of 10 arrows, and 1 bucket of lava.
- In addition, there will be 20 blocks of TNT scattered around the arena.
- All TNT and chests will be covered with gravel. You have to dig up the items and risk hitting TNT when you do.
- Spectators are encouraged to place bets. Iron, diamonds, lapis, clay, whatever you want to bet.

If there's no objection I'll set it up. Obviously if I set it up I can't duel, since I would know where the good items are.... so, do we have two volunteers?

Bonn89
2011-02-01, 14:51
If there's no objection I'll set it up. Obviously if I set it up I can't duel, since I would know where the good items are.... so, do we have two volunteers?

Count me in. Just let me know when.

arteggio
2011-02-01, 15:08
deathmatches

I've been thinking of this too. Can't wait to watch a game.

Those seeking clay: I have 10x64+ up for donation. Currently it's all at my castle, but I'll try to remember to bring it east sometime and leave it in the chest near the Bridgeport terminus.

Kraetos
2011-02-01, 15:13
I've been thinking of this too. Can't wait to watch a game.

Those seeking clay: I have 10x64+ up for donation. Currently it's all at my castle, but I'll try to remember to bring it east sometime and leave it in the chest near the Bridgeport terminus.

Wheres your castle? I need to beat bryson to it :devil:

EDIT: Bryson, I challenge you to a deathmatch for ownership of this clay :p

Bryson
2011-02-01, 15:46
This conversation got me thinking. We should use the arena for deathmatches. I submit the following rules:

- Two men enter, one man leaves. You go in with no inventory.
- There will be 11 chests scattered across the arena, each containing a useful item. The items are: 2 stone swords, 1 iron sword, 2 leather chestplates, 1 iron chestplate, 2 bows w/ 3 arrows, 2 stacks of 10 arrows, and 1 bucket of lava.
- In addition, there will be 20 blocks of TNT scattered around the arena.
- All TNT and chests will be covered with gravel. You have to dig up the items and risk hitting TNT when you do.
- Spectators are encouraged to place bets. Iron, diamonds, lapis, clay, whatever you want to bet.

Love it. I'd suggest sand as the chest covering so it blends better with the Arena floor. You'll find spare sand in the Arena Manager's office which is below the foyer - go through the door behind the hotdog stand.

I'm still working on the stands, but the Foyer is done, and the VIP Bar is nearly ready too. I'll need to add some iron doors (with switches on the outside only!) to the Arena Entrances and some chests for people to store their gear in there. Maybe In future I'll build a couple of dressing rooms at each end.

One question: Won't a bucket of lava be difficult to clean up afterwards?

I think there should be a cake in the middle of the floor too.

Bryson, I challenge you to a deathmatch for ownership of this clay

Ok, you're on. :)

We also need reporters at the Spawn to interview the loser: "I'm sick as a parrot, Dave."

RowdyScot
2011-02-01, 16:58
PLEASE let us know when the deathmatch is to commence, so that we can all plan to be there and watch the hilarity. :D

Bryson
2011-02-03, 12:42
Actually all the clay I took from Arteggio is in a chest at the Arena marked "The Wager".

Bryson
2011-02-03, 15:44
With a night version? ;) :)

Also, any ETA on when the ceremonial opening match at the Arena might occur?

Also, someone other than me or Kraetos needs to prep the Arena floor with chests, TNT and sand. I'm happy to do it for matches after this, but we would have an unfair advantage if we prepped this one. I think I filled in the last few items that were missing from the supplies chest. Except cake.

Does anyone know if the lava bucket will make a mess we can't clean up?

arteggio
2011-02-03, 16:16
Does anyone know if the lava bucket will make a mess we can't clean up?

I don't think it would be too difficult — just cover up the flowing parts with sand until you reach the source, then rebucket it. Voilà, lavalessness?

I'll contribute some TNT, as I have a ton of sand and sulphur. Will try to do that before tomorrow afternoon, in case then is the first match. ;) And I could make a cake. Just on needed?

RowdyScot
2011-02-03, 16:48
Since we seem to forget these things, someone needs to take video if it is tomorrow. I work all day.

arteggio
2011-02-03, 17:52
Ah, prep the floor with TNT and sand, not acquire some. (Well, I have plenty of TNT on hand now.)

Are chests, TNT, and (one) cake the absolute only things that will be on the floor? I noticed there's lava, TNT, bow and arrows, swords, and sand in the chest titled that of Kraeto's deathmatch. Are swords and bow & arrows being in the floor chests? Is the armor to be out on the floor, or is that strictly Kraetos' (in which cases, opponents can bring their own materials onto the floor, or not?)? I can go ahead and organize the floor, just want to know everything before I organize a wedding and the tables need to be rearranged.

Since we seem to forget these things, someone needs to take video if it is tomorrow. I work all day.

Probably most of the other minecrafters wouldn't be available in the afternoon either...

Bryson
2011-02-03, 19:03
So, the idea is:

20 TNT randomly placed and buried in sand.

11 chests, randomly placed and buried in sand
Chests contain:
1: 1 stone sword
2: 1 stone sword
3: 1 iron sword
4: 1 leather chestplate
5: 1 leather chestplate
6: 1 iron chestplate
7: 1 bows w/ 3 arrows
8: 1 bows w/ 3 arrows
9: 1 stack of 10 arrows
10: 1 stack of 10 arrows
11: 1 bucket of lava

Contestants don't take anything into the arena, and enter from opposite ends.

Does that make sense?

Depending on the TNT placement, we might have to get some glass to repair the window into the arena from level 1 after each game.

Brad
2011-02-03, 20:01
I'll place the TNT and chests tonight. I will, of course, write a small program to determine the locations of each and which chest gets which item. :p

Is the sand on the floor currently 1 or 2 deep? If only 1, I'll go ahead and lay a second layer so it evenly covers the items.

Bryson
2011-02-03, 20:21
1 deep right now.

Brad
2011-02-03, 20:46
FWIW, here's what 20 TNT and 11 chests will look like, roughly, using one seed from my new randomizing plotter:

http://i.imgur.com/fl792.png

Red blocks are TNT. White blocks are chests.

Do you think that's too many of either? Not enough?

Bryson
2011-02-03, 20:59
I think it's a bit heavily weighted towards one end. Can we fix that?

But hang on - you aren't going to bury the blocks entirely? ie: so you can't even tell where there is or isn't a block? I thought the idea was to keep it 1 layer deep but put an extra block above each one (so the floor isn't completely smooth). Otherwise we may be a while.

Maciej
2011-02-03, 21:00
I think we should bury lava, so that is a person is digging straight down by accident they might fall in... muahahahah

Brad
2011-02-03, 21:05
I think it's a bit heavily weighted towards one end. Can we fix that?

It's truly random. Well, as "random" as computers can get. That seed just happened to be weighted to one end. Here are a few others:

http://i.imgur.com/bToMb.png

My algorithm seeks only to be random, not attempting for any sort of even distribution.

I see what you mean about the blocks being buried. So, the idea is to dig once, plant, and set a block of sand immediately over top of the goods?

Bryson
2011-02-03, 21:10
That was my thought yes.

I think iterating the random generator a few times until you get one that looks kind of even would be a good idea. The second and fourth one in your examples look ok. I just don't want anyone to feel like the "deck was stacked against them".

Brad
2011-02-03, 21:43
I'm having too much fun figuring out the pygame framework! ;) I got images working! As this rate, I might not lay a single block tonight, but at least I'll have a good plan for tomorrow night.

http://i.imgur.com/lGp5o.png

I do see your point. I'll likely run a few cycles, pick an even distribution, and adjust it as I see fit.

drewprops
2011-02-03, 21:47
What about 1-ups?

Brad
2011-02-03, 21:50
Now that's an idea. A chest or two with a golden apple, perhaps? A golden apple refills your whole life meter.

Maciej
2011-02-03, 22:09
This is going to be awesome!

Kraetos
2011-02-03, 23:01
I was thinking we would place the blocks above ground and place the sand around them, so it would make the arena somewhat maze-like with blocks stacked 2 or 3 high.

It would also mean you would pick up sand while playing, which could be used creatively...

Also, food in chests? Just a thought. Or a golden apple.

And definitely cake in the middle. On a gold block.

billybobsky
2011-02-03, 23:42
I like the flat surface idea -- two deep sand.

It just makes more sense... Also: tnt is going to be found to be a bad idea as setting off one will cascade the entirety of the rest (or most).

drewprops
2011-02-04, 00:46
Who's making odds on this and who's your escrow agent? ;)

Maciej
2011-02-04, 01:17
American Gladiators?

billybobsky
2011-02-04, 03:52
I do see your point. I'll likely run a few cycles, pick an even distribution, and adjust it as I see fit.

I don't know the pygame modules, but wouldn't it possible to force the distribution to become more even at every generation, by eliminating a certain region of the map surrounding already placed items from contention for the placement of the next item?

Kraetos
2011-02-04, 15:06
So we bury the items?

That makes the items a lot harder to find, and it makes it much easier to find your opponent. Which means there would be less item use. We should try it both ways.

Bryson
2011-02-04, 16:45
I see the point about TNT: maybe we should make it 11 of each to reduce the likelyhood of chain reaction?

I wonder if a bucket of water would be a good idea as a countermeasure to the bucket of lava?

Brad
2011-02-04, 19:46
I don't know the pygame modules, but wouldn't it possible to force the distribution to become more even at every generation, by eliminating a certain region of the map surrounding already placed items from contention for the placement of the next item?

I'm just using pygame for drawing. The distribution is literally just picking random coordinates and making sure there's not already something assigned to them.

That said, I tweaked the code to enforce a clear radius around each item to try to get a more even distribution. Here's a sample run with the reduced TNT count of 10 plus a water bucket.

edit: removed

Does that sort of arrangement look more fair?

Brad
2011-02-04, 19:50
Whoops! Forgot the golden apple. Here's another...

http://i.imgur.com/j8tR9.png

Bryson
2011-02-04, 20:02
Looks good. The spacing means that a TNT chain reaction is less likely.

How about a compromise: if we make the floor 2 deep so it's level, but cover over the items with gravel (as Kraetos originally suggested) so the locations are visible.

Brad
2011-02-04, 20:06
Sounds good! I'll start laying the second level of sand.

Kraetos
2011-02-04, 22:36
More TNT!

:p

Bryson
2011-02-04, 23:25
Chain reaction danger! What's the blast radius in air of TNT?

Shame: I would have made the floor deeper, but now it would require rebuilding the whole arena - and with it being obsidian that would be a real grind.

Brad
2011-02-05, 12:19
Chain reaction danger! What's the blast radius in air of TNT?

It depends on the resistance of the materials in its path. In open air, the blast can knock out a torch 7 blocks away. In stone, it can only tear through one layer. I'm not sure about sand; I'll have to test that.

It seems likely the glass around the arena floor will get blown out by some of the explosions, at least. :)

Kraetos
2011-02-05, 17:12
I'll be online for a while if anyone wants to have the inaugural deathmatch.

Brad
2011-02-05, 18:19
The arena field has been planted! I tried for an distribution. Some items will inevitably be slightly lopsided since, for example, there's only one golden apple, but the TNT and other items are generally even.

Who is up for the inaugural deathmatch other than Kraetos? I'm disqualified since I know where the items are, but everyone else should be game. Shall we kick off the game at, say, midnight ET tonight?

http://i.imgur.com/MAo9T.jpg

Maciej
2011-02-05, 18:38
Those 8 spots on the server will be coveted tonight.

Elysium
2011-02-05, 19:40
Sweet.

I'll be on later giving the new hackintosh a run through it's paces. I can only imagine the step up performance wise is versus the MBP. :)

Bryson
2011-02-05, 20:02
Looking good! I don't think I'll be able to participate tonight: too many real-world obligations, sadly.

I saw earlier that the project completion fairy finished the North stand and the glass roof over the VIP bar. Thanks!

Hope the Arena lives up to expectations. Video required!

Foj
2011-02-05, 20:07
Hope the Arena lives up to expectations. Video required!

I would love to see some highlights, too.

Have fun. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmRAiUPdRjk)

2011-02-05, 21:49
Those 8 spots on the server will be coveted tonight.If minecraft.net doesn't get its shit together no one will be able to log in to be there anyways. :grumble:

Brad
2011-02-05, 22:54
If minecraft.net doesn't get its shit together no one will be able to log in to be there anyways. :grumble:

This. :mad:

I guess if we can't reliably connect in the next half hour (I wouldn't bet on it), we'll have to postpone the game.

Bryson
2011-02-05, 23:50
Ah.... Post server restart is not good....

Brad
2011-02-06, 00:03
We're all here waiting for Kraetos to show. Chicken? ;)

Brad
2011-02-06, 01:06
So, the first night at the arena was interesting! :) Two battles were waged. The contestants included Bryson, 709/Grey, and turtle. I won't spoil the results, but I am about to edit a short video together of the event and will post for you to see yourself.

Bryson
2011-02-06, 02:24
Here's a better picture of the (now finished) arena. At night.

http://thefrankishes.com/brysonpics/arena.jpg

Brad
2011-02-06, 04:44
Yeesh... I forgot what a PITA it is trying to coerce Final Cut to work with anything that's not a native "DV" video format. Next time I guess I'll try iMovie. After smashing my head against the screen for a couple of hours, I managed to eek out the following two minutes of video.

http://vimeo.com/19620032

Vimeo says it's still processing, but it should be up in ~20 minutes.

drewprops
2011-02-06, 08:17
Drat. Vimeo must be a Flash-only format. No worky on iPhone :(

turtle
2011-02-06, 08:34
Yeesh... I forgot what a PITA it is trying to coerce Final Cut to work with anything that's not a native "DV" video format. Next time I guess I'll try iMovie. After smashing my head against the screen for a couple of hours, I managed to eek out the following two minutes of video.

http://vimeo.com/19620032

Vimeo says it's still processing, but it should be up in ~20 minutes.

:) I love the audio track you used! It played great on my iPad too BTW.

drewprops
2011-02-06, 08:37
Why would it play on the iPad and not the iPhone??

arteggio
2011-02-06, 10:32
Well Mr Fancy Pants, I hope that pygame app led to a perfectly placed floor considering I had just volunteered to the arrange it. :p I figure I have a good mind for setting out things strategically, so I thought I'd have a go at it, but I guess I experienced the dreaded end-of-page post location. WIll have to do it some other time, unless Arena management has a monopoly on floor set-up.

So, has the Wager been one? Did the matches last more than a few seconds, though? :\ Maybe a certain degree of armor could be permitted for each player so that no one dies from being hand-punched while searching a chest (at least that's what it looked like in the video).

And in other news, I added doors to the Skyriser skyway link, Elysium. :) In a furnace downstairs I also found 4 ore and 5 ingots of iron. I took them, because I think I might have forgotten them there for the last month, but it's totally possible that someone else was smelting them and forgot them. Let me know if they're yours.

Anyone interested in playing around with the skyscraper I made? It's pretty bare and I don't care to do anything with it, so I thought about auctioning it off with a beginning bid of $0, or donating it to charity. Or setting the wood floors on fire and gutting most of it...

Elysium
2011-02-06, 13:35
Anyone interested in playing around with the skyscraper I made? It's pretty bare and I don't care to do anything with it, so I thought about auctioning it off with a beginning bid of $0, or donating it to charity. Or setting the wood floors on fire and gutting most of it...

Ooooh. Let's wire it with TNT and have the first ever AN Minecraft building demolition. :p

Maciej
2011-02-06, 13:37
Ooooh. Let's wire it with TNT and have the first ever AN Minecraft building demolition. :p

Brilliant! Too bad the blocks aren't affected by gravity.

Bryson
2011-02-06, 14:26
Awesome. It looks like I have a ceremonial fart to celebrate my victory!

I agree that armour should probably be allowed otherwise it gets a bit crazy - I found a sword in my first chest, so it was game over for GC at that point. Maybe both contestants should have a wooden sword too, so they can at least defend themselves.

And you'll be glad to hear that I fixed those bloody doors.

Brad
2011-02-06, 14:53
Why would it play on the iPad and not the iPhone??
Vimeo has an HTML5 H.264 option on by default for browsing in desktop Safari. Try again now? Or see if there's a link to switch? In desktop Safari, there's a "Switch to Flash player"/"Switch to HTML5 player" link. Vimeo has generally been better than even YouTube WRT supporting HTML5.

edit: Huh. Playing HTML5 version, I now get an "Oops! Something broke" message. :\

Well Mr Fancy Pants, I hope that pygame app led to a perfectly placed floor considering I had just volunteered to the arrange it.
You snooze, you lose. :p You weren't online at the time; so, I jumped on it. You're welcome to set up for the next match! :)

Also, yes, it looks like I missed your post at the bottom of that page. Sorry about that!

arteggio
2011-02-06, 15:04

Though I would love to witness this myself, I was thinking of something a bit more constructive. I wanted to return in a week and see creativity spread among its levels. Or something poetic like that. (Ignore my whole burn-the-floors part. ;))

My wife and I could take over possession of it.

So, I declare Mr and Mrs Turtle the new sole proprietors of the skyscraper. :) Since there's a full size basement for 15 blocks down or so, a short dig off your current tunnel could get you right in there.

You snooze, you lose.

Fair enough. :p

Brad
2011-02-06, 21:02
FWIW, if arteggio or anyone else wants to reset the arena after the next match, I've stocked some sand in the manager's office for if/when the TNT chews up the supply of sand up there.

http://i.imgur.com/OzrTi.png

kscherer
2019-07-29, 22:43
My money is on arteggio. He has the best axes. ;)

Bryson
2019-07-30, 08:59
Good times. I miss that arena.

Brad
2019-07-30, 15:59
No joke: I was actually just thinking about this over the last weekend and was contemplating building a new arena in the current world for invitational death matches.

Maybe this is just the motivation I need to actually do it.

After I finish building all this other stuff.

kscherer
2019-07-30, 16:21
See?

Seeeeeeee!?!

Boosting old threads can be fun! :p

turtle
2019-07-30, 17:47
Where to build such a thing? How about the middle of 709's amusement park? :D That would be fitting right?

kscherer
2019-07-30, 17:51
What about the vacant lot in downtown where the Monument Tower used to be located (just west of the money building)? I donated that space to the community, and it might be large enough.

turtle
2019-07-30, 17:59
Oooo.... I like that too. Might be too small though.

kscherer
2019-07-30, 18:24
It seems to me that it's something like 45x45 or there abouts.

Brad
2019-07-30, 21:24
For reference, the O.G. Bridgeport Arena:

https://i.imgur.com/qy71mev.jpg

That was pretty big for its time, but I think we need something much bigger now. The original Arena had chests hidden under the sand with weapons and armor, and of course its successor needs something like that as well. If it's bigger, I also imagine building American Gladiator-style obstacles for taking cover, running around, etc.

I have had some recent ideas for continued expansion of Bradtropolis into that entire swamp region to the east. Maybe Arena 2.0 would go out there? Or maybe on the north side of the canal instead? Keeping it far from civilization, farms, or mass storage areas (i.e. places with lots of item frames, chests, hoppers, and signs) to keep participant FPS/performance high should be a key factor in deciding the location.

Hmmm... Now that I'm typing out these thoughts, I wonder if an underground arena might work. It could have an ornate structure for an above-ground entrance, of course, but by digging down, it could sprawl out a far greater area without taking up precious surface land.

turtle
2019-07-30, 21:49
I actually though about under the water in CC. Nice view from above and it's otherwise wasted ground down there. Not sure how close that would get to builds down there though.

2019-07-31, 07:07
I like north of the canal, but also like the idea of underwater - especially with a glass ceiling. :) Or maybe out by the hockey arena, making that the 'sporting' area.

kscherer
2019-07-31, 10:16
but by digging down, it could sprawl out a far greater area without taking up precious surface land.

You know, I know where there is a very large, in fact *titanic* pyramid-shaped hole in a location that is quite suitable! ;)

Brad
2019-07-31, 11:32
I actually though about under the water in CC. Nice view from above and it's otherwise wasted ground down there. Not sure how close that would get to builds down there though.

CC is a nice central area, and I do also like the idea of a water ceiling, but there are still some troublesome performance spots around the cove. My best guess is it's from the hundreds of hoppers by the underground tree farm. It could go farther out into the ocean to the west, though.

Or maybe out by the hockey arena, making that the 'sporting' area.

An excellent idea! I think I'm really warming up to this one.

You know, I know where there is a very large, in fact *titanic* pyramid-shaped hole in a location that is quite suitable! ;)
:lol: Maybe. I wouldn't want to tarnish all your hard work, and besides I don't know if it's the right shape. That being said, if you want to take charge and start turning it into a battlefield, be my guest!

Brad
2019-07-31, 11:41
Let's put it to an informal poll. Sure, there won't be a ton of votes, but it's a start…

Preferred location for a new (future) underground arena?

1. North side of the eastern canal that leads to Bradtropolis and points towards 13topia.
2. West of Cashout Cove far in the middle of the ocean, past the Enterprise but before Arteggio castle.
3. Somewhere near the winter wonderland hockey rink.
4. Repurposing Tall Town's Luxor basement.

kscherer
2019-07-31, 11:44
There is also the football stadium out at Tall Town. It is significantly larger than the hockey arena, with a field that is 50m x 100m not including sidelines and end zones. It's pretty big, although some of the seating remains unfinished. Also, it has a parking garage. :D

As far as messing up my work, I wouldn't volunteer the spot if I was worried about that. ;)

2019-08-04, 14:34
I would've sworn that the football stadium was close to the same size as the hockey arena, but it really is half again as big. Maybe the biggerness of Tall Town makes it seem 'in scale' with the rest, and not so dramatic as a huge stadium sitting out alone in a snowy taiga. They're both pretty fucking massive either way. :D

2019-08-04, 14:44
Preferred location for a new (future) underground arena?

1. North side of the eastern canal that leads to Bradtropolis and points towards 13topia.
2. West of Cashout Cove far in the middle of the ocean, past the Enterprise but before Arteggio castle.
3. Somewhere near the winter wonderland hockey rink.
4. Repurposing Tall Town's Luxor basement.

I vote north (like, north north*) of the canal, above ground.

* not because it wouldn't be great next to the canal, but because moving it more north would better fill that chunk out. Plus, more monsters, since Brad The Defiler needs more of his buildings crushed.

** OR, put it closer to the canal, but leave room along the waterfront for a stadium district of bars and hoors. And maybe a sex shop or two. And a liquor store. All the fun stuff basically.