PDA

View Full Version : MC: Sidewalks: Cobble, Gravel, or Slab?

Kraetos
2011-04-04, 15:41
I'd like to build a more consistent path network around Bridgeport. Right now it's a mix of different widths, materials, and lighting techniques. I'd like to change that and use cobblestone to make consistent 2-wide or 4-wide paths that connect every building. I'd like to illuminate the path with lampposts as well. Does anyone have any objections? I won't touch anyone's buildings, of course :)

Bryson
2011-04-04, 15:48
Sounds good. How about Gravel rather than cobble? It's about all gravel is good for, plus it makes a satisfying noise.

And Robo: come play online. I have only played offline briefly: online is sooo much better. Don't worry about learning curve -
We can help or not as you like!

ThunderPoit
2011-04-04, 15:49
I object, largely because ive been replacing cobble paths with smooth slabs.
Can we use smooth slabs instead of cobble?

Kraetos
2011-04-04, 15:55
Sounds good. How about Gravel rather than cobble? It's about all gravel is good for, plus it makes a satisfying noise.

Yeah... but it's kinda ugly. And I have buckets of cobble.

Kraetos
2011-04-04, 15:56

I feel like that's kind of a waste of smooth slabs. We would need tons of them and I think there is demand for smoothstone/slabs elsewhere.

I'd do it in slabs but I would need a whole lot of slabs. To make a slab you basically waste three blocks because you need three blocks to make three slabs but you need *six* slabs to fill the same space that three blocks would fill. So barring a windfall of slabs I don't think it makes sense. Also, slabs are quite common on the buildings in bridgeport, but cobble, interestingly enough, is not. Most of the buildings in bridgeport are brick, smoothstone, or wood. I think slabs everywhere would be overwhelming.

Cobble is abundant and underrepresented in Bridgeport, which is why I thought cobble made sense.

Bryson
2011-04-04, 15:57
Gravel vs Cobble vs Smoothslabs!

Battle Royale or Town Hall meeting?

I'm loving the resurgence of interest in developing Bridgeport itself these days. Maybe next we should standardize the bridges?

Bryson
2011-04-04, 15:58
Yeah... but it's kinda ugly. And I have buckets of cobble.

Wait, you think cobble isn't ugly? ;)

Kraetos
2011-04-04, 16:00
Wait, you think cobble isn't ugly? ;)

Less ugly than gravel! ;)

I tried to replace the cobble texture with a "stone brick" type texture, but when I rezipped the texture pack, Minecraft wouldn't read it :(

Brad
2011-04-04, 17:21

Gravel vs Cobble vs Smoothslabs!

Battle Royale or Town Hall meeting?
I'd also vote for smooth slabs (think paved sidewalks). Beautify the town! Don't uglify it with gravel! :p

It's worth the relatively cheap investment, and the resources are fully renewable. There's a cobblestone generator out by the glass structure over the lava/beach, and charcoal grows on trees.

I'm loving the resurgence of interest in developing Bridgeport itself these days.
Same! :)

RowdyScot
2011-04-04, 18:28
Robo: Play online. We can guide you or not guide you as you wish, and if you *ever* have a question, we're there. Besides, who else is going to come up with a Chrono project to do with me?

Bridgeport idea, smooth slab, etc.: I have the means to make a shitton, as well as already have a ton. I vote for smooth slab. Mind you, it *is* a renewable resource. It also looks very good, lights well, and is pleasant.

Kraetos
2011-04-04, 19:05
Okay, here is Bridgeport from above at day:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/576074/pictures/bridgeportday.png

And the same shot at night:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/576074/pictures/bridgeportnight.png

I like both. I think the the slabs are a better looking block, but I think cobble looks better in this situation because it blends in better with the green grass, and because there are already a lot of smoothstone slabs in Bridgeport. I guess I just feel like cobblestone is more suited for a walkway.

I tried to change the texture pack to make the cobble brick-like, like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/576074/pictures/bridgeport_eldpack.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/576074/pictures/tavern_eldpack.png

... but when I tried to change the texture pack it didn't work in Minecraft :( Is there a special trick to it?

Robo
2011-04-10, 17:56
New forum wooooooooo! Thx Brad :D :D :D

Anyway, we decided on a stone slab sidewalk for the "theater district" — between Bryson's theater, my house, and Rowdy's bar, and I think grey's eventually going to build it out to the Gherkin as well. I think it's worth the extra effort compared to cobble, and as Bridgeport grows more city-like, quaint cobblestone paths may be less and less appropriate (IMO, of course).

Kraetos
2011-04-10, 18:05
Brad, could we get a poll?

Or am I the only one who wants cobble?

Brad
2011-04-10, 18:08
Brad, could we get a poll?
Okay, sure. ;)

Robo
2011-04-10, 18:09
A poll would be fine, to Settle It Once And For All, but I asked people in Minecraft what we were using several times and everyone seemed to like stone. And eventually I really had to build a walk into my garden. :p

Kraetos
2011-04-10, 18:13
Alright, stone it is then. I'll set up a donation box in the pub.

Robo
2011-04-10, 18:15
Alright, stone it is then.

No, no, we can wait for the results of the poll :p

Brad
2011-04-10, 18:22
I'll qualify my "stone" vote with a comment that I think cobble would be perfectly fine for the "last mile" from the mainlines up to your building. So, the pub, for instance, could keep some of the cobble that leads up to the doors.

Robo
2011-04-10, 18:44
I'll qualify my "stone" vote with a comment that I think cobble would be perfectly fine for the "last mile" from the mainlines up to your building. So, the pub, for instance, could keep some of the cobble that leads up to the doors.

Oh, of course. In fact, having different materials connected to the stone stabs would help establish visual hierarchy (that's the same reason I made the paths into my garden narrower than the sidewalks). The mainlines would look, well, main.

Chinney
2011-04-10, 18:52
When is your public transit going in?

turtle
2011-04-10, 19:56
I voted smooth stone slab. It does just look better. :)

Kickaha
2011-04-10, 20:01
What? No 'beer' option?!?

Kraetos
2011-04-10, 21:02
What? No 'beer' option?!?

There's no beer in Minecraft :(

RowdyScot
2011-04-10, 21:23
I'd still love to see sandstone slabs, but that's probably just me. If not those, stone slabs are fine. :)

Robo
2011-04-10, 21:41
I'd still love to see sandstone slabs, but that's probably just me. If not those, stone slabs are fine. :)

Interesting! But sandstone takes so much sand :wtf: - four blocks of sand for each slab, as opposed to one block of cobblestone and 1/8 (char)coal. I know sand isn't exactly scarce, but still — I have a lot of sand from my desert building, but I'd rather use it to make glass. I'd like to make the skyway above our section of town fully transparent, so you can all bask in the glory of my house from above. :D

Kickaha
2011-04-11, 19:26
There's no beer in Minecraft :(

Dear god. The humanity.

That's almost enough to make me want to join up just to build a brewery.

Brad
2011-04-11, 21:05
Dear god. The humanity.

That's almost enough to make me want to join up just to build a brewery.

See... that's the thing. Minecraft has wheat. It has water. It has sugar. It has drinking vessels (used for milk). But no brewski? Shameful.

ThunderPoit
2011-04-11, 22:00
It also has a "drunk mode" if you press F8.