PDA

View Full Version : MC: Unkown Structures, Abandoned Mines, Land Claims, etc.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Elysium
2011-04-13, 12:20
I figured we could use this as an all purpose fact finding thread as we build out.

I'm curious as to the owner of what looks to be an abandoned diamond/ore mining operation north of the Money Bin and due west of Tori's old place. I found two single block wide shafts that go down in roughly 10-20 ft lengths.

One ends in a blank wall and the other opens up into several branching paths. The second branching one was entirely unlit (except for two random torches) and had a workbench.

I walled off the more expansive mine at the surface, but there is the potential for slime formation down there as I didn't have the torches or time to explore it thoroughly.

turtle
2011-04-13, 12:40
I found a few shafts like that too. Kinda odd really. My guess was someone using an x-ray theme was hunting something specific.

ThunderPoit
2011-04-13, 12:47
We had a few "visitors" before we added the whitelist. The shaft Ely is describing was one of theirs.

RowdyScot
2011-04-13, 12:48
Could have been the "guests" that signed on the one day forcing our whitelist.

Elysium
2011-04-13, 12:59
Alright. I'll grab some torches and cacti at some point to booby trap it just in case. I'll clear out the remaining resources while I'm down there.

drewprops
2011-04-13, 13:06
Is there a cactus farm??

Elysium
2011-04-13, 13:39
Is there a cactus farm??

Bonn had one somewhere I believed.

Bryson
2011-04-13, 14:35
There's 3x64 cactus in a chest in my Theatre Portakabin you can have. I used to have a cactus farm but I demolished it when I landscaped around the library. The mobtrap also creates cactus (albeit slowly) - check in the storage room chests.

2011-04-13, 14:38
bobsky has a cactus farm as well. It's between spawn and the passive trap somewhere along that corridor.

turtle
2011-04-13, 20:30
We have a cactus farm too. It's by our "T" ranch north of the Money Bin. You can see it East of the big "T" in map.

billybobsky
2011-04-13, 21:22
Is there a cactus farm??
If you are on later, I can show you my farm, it's automated, so you climb down a ladder and collect the cacti...

Robo
2011-04-13, 21:55
If you are on later, I can show you my farm, it's automated, so you climb down a ladder and collect the cacti...

It's the best thing since sliced bread the mob trap. :D

Bonn89
2011-04-13, 22:39
Bonn had one somewhere I believed.

It's in the basement of my Bridgeport house, anyone can feel free to grab some free cactus whenever they'd like. :D

arteggio
2011-05-23, 17:26
I'm going to devour the island-ish thing that sits directly under 640, 0 (spreading to about -130 at its farthest east and 300 at its farthest northwest).

I've just learnt that grey and RowdyScott have plans to the southeast of this landmass, but my selection doesn't appear to intrude. It's not going to interfere with anyone else, is it?

RowdyScot
2011-05-23, 23:10
I'm going to devour the island-ish thing that sits directly under 640, 0 (spreading to about -130 at its farthest east and 300 at its farthest northwest).

I've just learnt that grey and RowdyScot have plans to the southeast of this landmass, but my selection doesn't appear to intrude. It's not going to interfere with anyone else, is it?

T; ftfy. :)

Gargoyle
2011-05-24, 13:13
I haven't abandoned my humble little hole in the mountain, just incase you thought I had.... been busy :(

billybobsky
2011-05-27, 00:54
Thunderpoit/InvaderJak,

I saw an opportunity for maximizing the space efficiency of the watering system for your farm in bridgeport and moved some dirt around/removed a sliver of a wall -- i hope you don't mind...

thinking about it, I do believe the best bet for further enhancement is to lower the level of the farm terraces themselves by two or three blocks which should put most, if not all, of the water system under the undisrupted sidewalk. NB also, the current arrangement can be further optimized by an additional bifurcation level that spits water out at the base of the walls without incurring any height disadvantage, you would just need to alternate the position of the fill channels.

I understand the need to be able to reset the watering system and i think that sinking the level of the terraces might give you additional space for doing that from the inside...

ThunderPoit
2011-05-27, 01:22
Thank you for the input but please dont modify my stuctures for me.

Bryson
2011-05-27, 09:17
I think Bobsky was trying to help me out: in it's current form the auto-harvester means I'll need to take out the window on that side of the theatre. Is it going to get smaller and prettier?

2011-05-27, 09:37
There must be a way to put it below the sidewalk. This is Minecraft! Challenges are what it's all about! ;)

Maybe inside the farm with the reset at glass level? Better to rejigger the top far end of the farm than messing with the sidewalk and the theatre. IMO, of course.

billybobsky
2011-05-27, 09:52
Thank you for the input but please dont modify my stuctures for me.

I think Bobsky was trying to help me out: in it's current form the auto-harvester means I'll need to take out the window on that side of the theatre. Is it going to get smaller and prettier?

I was trying to help both of you out...

The only fair option, right now even with the current modifications, is to get rid of the hideous protrusion that is the water delivery apparatus since it directly interferes with pre-existing structures and the old method worked fine. My brief and obvious work on it last night was merely to see if it could be kept in its current arrangement without too much extra effort: it cannot and should not be.

drewprops
2011-05-27, 10:17
Somebody is going to have to build a Senate and a Court...

Elysium
2011-05-27, 10:22
Somebody is going to have to build a Senate and a Court...
We have one, called the Arena. ;)

Two men enter, one man leaves!

ThunderPoit
2011-05-27, 10:22
I understand that and i have no intention of leaving the flooder as is. It will be below the sidewalk when finished, i was just not able to get on last night to complete it.

2011-05-27, 10:23
Nah, we could just use the old blackball system. Snowball for yes, slimeball for no. :D

ThunderPoit
2011-05-27, 11:20
Too bad snowballs and slimeballs dont slime you or cover you with snow, that'd be fun

RowdyScot
2011-05-27, 13:45
They're Frog Coins, not Slimeballs.

arteggio
2011-05-28, 16:01
On my new southern territory, there is a structure at XYZ 493, 66, 136. I assume it's just a usual adventure-night hideout, but it's pretty built up for such a place and I just wanted to check to make sure no one has any attachment to it.

Bryson
2011-05-28, 17:28
At the top of a hill overlooking a lava fall? And beach?

arteggio
2011-05-28, 17:56
No, not on a hill, but yes on a beach. It's just beside the water, sort of built up like an incomplete mini-fort, made of cobble and dirt.

Also: I only just learned about coordinate teleporting and didn't consider that when I posted, so teleport to those coordinates at your own risk.

Bryson
2011-05-28, 18:07
I think it was me, Drew and Rowdy from when we took Drew on an adventure. Waste it.

ThunderPoit
2011-05-28, 18:44
Art, the coords are safe, i must have fat fingered when i went to check the shack out

Kraetos
2011-06-01, 13:11
So I want to demolish my house in BP and most of the tree farm for my next project. Unfortunately this means part of the BryLine has to be rejiggered.

I'm going to get started today but I'll leave the portion with the track. Bryson, if you could redirect the line the next time you're on, I would really appreciate it :)

Bryson
2011-06-01, 13:21
OK. Where should I redirect it to? ie: what are you building there?

Maybe I should just put the end at the Treehouse for now until you're done?

Kraetos
2011-06-01, 14:32
If you connected the tunnel exit with the treehouse stop as directly as possible, that would work fine.

Bryson
2011-06-01, 14:35
For safety's sake I'll put the terminal at the treehouse for now. I can re-extend it when you're finished. I'd like to rebuild the footbridge from the treehouse to Bridgeport on a diagonal so it hits just behind the amphitheatre - I assume that won't be an issue?

Kraetos
2011-06-01, 14:37
For safety's sake I'll put the terminal at the treehouse for now. I can re-extend it when you're finished. I'd like to rebuild the footbridge from the treehouse to Bridgeport on a diagonal so it hits just behind the amphitheatre - I assume that won't be an issue?

That would be perfect. The new structure won't be anywhere near that big.

RowdyScot
2011-06-01, 18:04
I'd be happy to assist here, as parts of the bar on the roof can be redesigned in this case.

2011-06-03, 22:53
There's a group of islands a little W of Flaming Mountain that I'd like to do something with:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/islands.jpg

Also, if I'm allowed the claim, I'd like a moratorium on altering the dunes to the south and anything in the outlined area. I vaguely remember someone early-on mentioning the islands and the possibility of building on them, so if that person still has plans please speak up.

Also, Bryson is looking for a winter spot. I told him that if I'm allowed the rights to the islands I'll give up my first dibs on the winter biome S of BP. RowdyScot has second dibs on that area, so if it comes to pass I'll let him and Bryson work out zoning issues.

2011-06-03, 22:58
[edit]: That lower right of the rectangle should be more of a diagonal. Basically I don't want anyone altering the coastline, that's all.

Brad
2011-06-03, 23:03
Although Atariboy isn't on often, I do believe the Jesusland fort is to the immediate right of that rectangle, attached to the skyway. No idea if or how much he had planned to work out to the west.

ThunderPoit
2011-06-03, 23:09
ill kick him a msg and see what he has to say about it

Bryson
2011-06-03, 23:22
So, I've staked out a small fort in the winter biome to the south at about 1250, 0 and I'd like to use the snowy plain just to the north west of it for my next project.

Rowdy, what were you planning?

RowdyScot
2011-06-04, 00:35
I'm planning to build an ice arena and a football stadium. One needs a biome with natural falling snow, and the other needs just a grassy plain, but I'd like them pretty close to one another. Not the easiest area to find, but I'd found it around the south parts before. I'd need to hunt again. Both structures will be kinda large, though I won't get to them until hockey season starts back up, most likely, at least if I'm being honest with myself.

I'll go mark spots out when I'm next on, likely at some point later today (6/4). Getting too tired to do it now after a long day at Cedar Point.

2011-06-04, 01:04
Although Atariboy isn't on often, I do believe the Jesusland fort is to the immediate right of that rectangle, attached to the skyway. No idea if or how much he had planned to work out to the west.Yeah, sorry. After I posted the image I noticed that. I'm more concerned about the coast, honestly. Take that upper right corner and pull a 45 to the left and I'll be happy with that boundary.

arteggio
2011-06-04, 07:19
I vaguely remember someone early-on mentioning the islands and the possibility of building on them, so if that person still has plans please speak up.

Ages ago I built myself a boat, floated away from BP, had to break the boat because of Parapa and build a new one, then set my foot on the middle island and claimed it proudly.

I think I was the only one that wanted those islands, so: do as you please!

The other fort by Atariboy is right across from his current one, but I don't believe it's attached to the skyway, but set out a bit from it. You might want to check your perimeters in person.

Also, I built my work track just below the west skyway exit for sandmining, so I'll be sure to only barrage the land south of that general area.

2011-06-04, 11:37
Thanks! I thought it might've been you. :)

I won't interfere with anything Atari's doing. The area I'm talking about is more like this:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/islands2.jpg

billybobsky
2011-06-04, 11:40
a giant harpsichord?

rollercoaster375
2011-06-04, 22:33
So, I have an idea for something fun I'd like to try... Best area I could find for it was:

http://sparkbomb.com/claim.png

Does that interfere with the airport plans at all, or is it fair game?

Brad
2011-06-04, 22:39
That does not affect the airport at all. Robo has plans for the next chunk of land to the east of that area, opposite that waterway, but you might be in the clear. Robo?

drewprops
2011-06-04, 22:46
Mister Brad,
Please sir, where be the high-resolution map? I'd like to download it to figure out the shape of mah cavarrrrns!!! Thankee sahr!!!

Brad
2011-06-04, 22:51
Mister Brad,
Please sir, where be the high-resolution map? I'd like to download it to figure out the shape of mah cavarrrrns!!! Thankee sahr!!!

Check the thread called "AppleNova World Map and Screenshot Thread" :p

Robo
2011-06-04, 23:00
Go on and build there, RC. I was going to build something truly massive, spanning both sides of that waterway, but I think it'll be a while yet before I make any actual progress and I can always find another spot.

Brad
2011-06-15, 21:30
So, here's a question for Turtle: Do you have future plans for or attachments to the area with your old (disabled) trap and big glass T? May I take it and repurpose it?

http://i.imgur.com/KjDn9.png

I'm looking for a sizable plot of land for my next project, and I'd like to stay somewhat close to Bridgeport. This area would be perfect for it.

If the answer is no, and you want to keep that land, then I'll claim this section way off to the NW near 709's flaming mountain.

http://i.imgur.com/RIZLX.png

2011-06-15, 22:15
Just fyi, there's a diagonal tunnel that heads from Temple Station to the mine and a N-S tunnel that goes from the mine to the UFO, plus some assorted burrowing that leads from the tunnels into a cave system underneath that area. No current surface structures that I know of though.

It'd be cool to have something over there, and it's not that far from BP. ;)

Would the land W of Olde London be big enough? I know I keep bringing that area up when people are looking for land, but it's just such a nice piece of property (and relatively flat) that I'd love to see something neat go up there.

Brad
2011-06-15, 22:39
Hmm... tunnels could pose a problem because part of this project will extend underground. If I use T's former property, I believe the below-ground structure would be far enough north to not interfere with the underground tunnel that connects BP and Turtle Park to the east.

I'll keep scouting for suitable places... not sure the spot west of Olde London would do, but if my other options dry up, I'll reconsider it.

2011-06-15, 22:49
Well, I'm not opposed to giving up the tunnels. They were handy for night traveling before /tl came along, but now I zap from place to place most of the time unless I feel like a stroll.

drewprops
2011-06-16, 00:11
FYI
As I explore the caverns between Barfing Skull Pointe and all points elsewhere I occasionally pop up a stairway and an entrance hut. If anyone ever builds in the area over that way you'll have a way down to those caverns.

turtle
2011-06-16, 21:05
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you on this Brad but I made a road trip and didn't get in until early this morning. (I did manage to stop by the Nether barfing skull.)

As for the "T" Ranch Mrs T and I do have plans. One of involves a bridge (suspension style) from BP to the Ranch. A few other buildings and "community" of sorts. West of the "T" is open though. I don't know if you can fit you plans there though. That cactus farm can be taken down completely.

I do hope you manage to find your next plot close though, I love your work!

2011-06-16, 21:40
Take the NW spot then Brad. Even if /tl gets broken I really don't use those particular tunnels very much anymore.

Brad
2011-06-16, 22:00
OK, thanks, 709. :) I'll probably get started on this new project over the weekend.

2011-06-16, 23:51
np. It'll be fun to have a Brad Project™®© over there. :)

I probably won't be on again until this weekend either. :\ Just so everyone knows, I'm just helping (a lot) with the online for the SJ show. No editing decisions are mine, so don't blame me if it sucks. I'm less involved with this one than the others. :|

drewprops
2011-06-17, 00:05
The Steve Jobs Show?

Robo
2011-06-17, 00:08
San Jose? Samurai Jack? Scarlett Johansson? Shonen Jump? Summary judgement? Sailor Jupiter?

2011-06-17, 00:15
San Jacinto.

2011-06-17, 00:22
Haha, no, nobody that hasn't ever listened to Peter Gabriel has even heard of San Jacinto. My show is about Sweaty Junk. It's a problem, and CNBC is going to bring it to the fore.

Narrated by Samuel S. Jackson, so your balls will dry up instantly.

After "Go the f*ck to Sleep" we hired him. He's scary to balls.

2011-06-17, 00:31
Back to MC though: T, you're building a suspension bridge? Nice. :)

turtle
2011-06-17, 20:25
Back to MC though: T, you're building a suspension bridge? Nice. :)

It is the one project I've been meaning to do and from the BP home to my ranch is perfect. No one is behind me in BP and I'll go over the island. I'm looking forward to this project...

Not sure if I'll be able to start this weekend, though that's my plan.

Brad
2011-07-01, 14:10
Land grab!

I just spent some time leveling the shallow hills on the eastern edge of Bridgeport between the Lego house and Old Towne. I was thinking of ways to use this plot to grow the town, but I remembered a conversation from last night...

http://i.imgur.com/IDcL0.jpg

bobsky, would this area suit that roughly-three-building project you had in mind, and would you be working on that now (as opposed to after the ranch is "complete")? If so, it's yours. If not, I'm staking claim to it.

billybobsky
2011-07-01, 17:44
Its all yours... I have decided my project is going next to the ranch but in the light of day...

Robo
2011-07-05, 02:11
Ooh, Brad is going to be my neighbor! :D :D :D

Can't wait to see what you build! :)

drewprops
2011-07-05, 08:26
Brad is everyone's neighbor™

Rumor is the shirts go on sale in August.

Robo
2011-07-05, 11:21
OMG I love what you built Brad :D :D :D

Wait for it...

Waaaait for itttt....

Five stars! :D :D :D :D :D

drewprops
2011-07-05, 12:56
Yes!
I trundled all the way up from barfing skull just to see it.

The crowds are pretty light still, I don't think everyone has gotten the word.

It was just me and Brownie this afternoon.

He LOVED the bed. Thought it made "a statement".

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630422/minecraft/museum_001.jpg

He felt the Rubble Rouser was "a bit trite" but insisted on posing with it anyway, saying "It's part of my culture, I have to respect it"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630422/minecraft/museum_002.jpg

Art.

Some get it, some don't.

(btw, Brownie LOVED the automatic door plates... kept going in and out of the place saying "this is the best part of all!!" ::clack-ca-clack-clack:: )

Bryson
2011-07-05, 13:24
My OCD can't cope with other people's quick bars.

"You keep your clock on number 1?"

drewprops
2011-07-05, 15:12
:lol: disrespect, I haz it :lol:
I use my trackpad on my lappy, and I hit t numbers with my hand or try to gesture over to the correct item.

2011-07-25, 16:53
I'm putting the island project on hold until I can figure out if it'll actually work over there, so I need to jump into something else while I think about it. So, I have an idea for something that'll take up a fair amount of space and would like it to be as close to BP as possible. I poked around for a while and this area seems to hit on the criteria that I need to make it work:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/mcampus.jpg

It's the area S of the trap and W of the library. I took a screenshot at night to show what other people have lit up, and in wandering around the area I only found one instance of humans being there: a massive TNT hole that goes to bedrock (?). Is this area OK to claim? Anyone have a prior interest in it? Oddly, I could even make the blast hole work as a "feature" for what I'm planning. :D

Thank you for your consideration. I promise it will be a good addition to 'NovaLand. :)

drewprops
2011-07-25, 17:13
So THAT'S where Bruce got the cobble he needed....

billybobsky
2011-07-25, 17:13
that's my blast hole... also: be warned the bottom has an escape hatch to the void.

drewprops
2011-07-25, 17:14
I'm too dumb to know if "the void" is a real thing in the game :(

2011-07-25, 17:20
that's my blast hole... also: be warned the bottom has an escape hatch to the void.I thought the blue hole at the bottom was just a redraw issue... :eek:

Imma empty my pockets before going down there. :|

drewprops
2011-07-25, 17:23
I'm going to go look RIGHT NOW!!!

Brad
2011-07-25, 17:24
that's my blast hole... also: be warned the bottom has an escape hatch to the void.
I thought the blue hole at the bottom was just a redraw issue... :eek:

Imma empty my pockets before going down there. :|

GO INTO THE LIGHT

drewprops
2011-07-25, 17:45
It's no lie.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630422/minecraft/hell_hole_001.jpg

turtle
2011-07-25, 18:15
AWESOME! I was wondering what happens when you remove bedrock. I'm guessing Brad and me are the only ones who can do this?

drewprops
2011-07-25, 18:51
I suspect those evil people we discovered the other night of digging this SHAFT. They're bad motherf

2011-07-25, 23:05
I'll wait a few days to mark it off, just so everyone has a chance to weigh in. It'll involve some serious landscaping, now that I've had a chance to wander the grounds. The hill in the SW corner will remain somewhat intact though.

2011-07-27, 19:59
So am I good? I'd like to get started on the footings sometime Friday. This will be the first building I've actually had to design outside of MC, so I want to be sure all things are go. :)

turtle
2011-07-27, 20:46
I'm good with it, but I have nothing in that area either. ;)

Brad
2011-07-27, 20:56
Fine by me!

2011-07-27, 21:10
Cool. I'm pretty excited about it, but it's going to take a while to complete. It's definitely the biggest thing I've ever done in MC by at least x4. But it's the gift that will keep on giving, too, so there's that. ;)

Brad
2011-07-27, 23:35
It's definitely the biggest thing I've ever done in MC by at least x4.
Wow. :eek:

RowdyScot
2011-07-28, 00:28
Sounds good to me, 709. :)

Bryson
2011-07-28, 16:41
I think I'm probably the nearest neighbour with my little sub pen in Blackrock Bay, but I dont see any issues.

The weird little hut on the hill to the south was made by me and Drew and Rwody while out on an adventure. You're welcome to destroy it. There's a skeleton spawner under the sand to the south-east that I had the idea of making into an arrow/bonemeal farm but I havent ever got round to. If the mood takes you, feel free to take it over.

drewprops
2011-07-28, 17:41
Maybe you should just unearth the spawner so that it's a place to go play at nighttime.....

Robo
2011-09-08, 00:29
I haven't seen anyone claim it, so is it cool if I build something small in the space next to the BP School for the Gifted? Where it sort of slopes down into that desert?

I made it flat up to the intersection, and I made a tentative outline where I wanted to build, but if someone had already claimed that spot lemme know and I'll tear it all down super quick.

Brad
2011-11-23, 03:24
Land grab! Seems no one else has taken up camp in the swamplands southeast of the most recent spawn near Three Peaks. gerlocian's last known position was under an adjacent mountain, but I don't expect he'll mind having an aboveground neighbor since he'll probably be mostly underground.

http://i.imgur.com/u1EYn.jpg

Objections?

RowdyScot
2011-11-23, 17:55
Land grab seems fine, Brad. I'd like to make one, too, but mine's pending the exploration of that portion to see how big the ocean is.

Bryson
2011-11-23, 20:42
Next time Turtle runs the map you should see a fair bit of that ocean. It's pretty big - I sailed out a good way (about twice the view distance on "far") before hitting a long skinny island. Not sure what's beyond that - I caught a glimpse of some swampland - but the ocean is a good size.

RowdyScot
2011-11-24, 01:32
Okay, I'm gonna lay claim to it in that case. Especially if there is eventual swamp. That would be perfect for what I have in mind. :D

Bryson
2011-11-24, 02:50
I have a small item built due west of my current position, but if it's in the way, it's not that big and easily moved.

ThunderPoit
2011-11-24, 03:37
I've set up shop in the plains area in what used to be SW of the map. I'll post a screenshot soon to better illustrate.

ThunderPoit
2011-11-24, 23:11
Does anyone have any objections to me setting up shop over here?
http://i.imgur.com/d92tpl.jpg (http://imgur.com/d92tp)

Brad
2011-11-24, 23:40
No objection here!

2011-12-06, 21:48
Bumping this for a new claim and because the thread seems to have been forgotten about.

I'm calling the mushroom island in the NE and turning into the Mooshroom Natural Preserve. At most I may build a nether-rail to it and turn one of the natural caves into a Visitor Center, but that's it.

Please, no structures, no torches and no mining. If you must get your kicks by killing innocent Mooshrooms then travel to one of the other mushroom islands. ;)

"Leave only footprints, take only memories" or whatever that hippie saying is.

Though, I'm far from a hippie, so the rule here is that if you kill a Mooshroom I will kill you and feed them your loot.

Robo
2011-12-15, 00:23
So I was wondering if anybody had claimed this peninsula thing south of the Post Office.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26616034/Peninsula.png

It looks like someone has already started terraforming it, I guess it was Ely? I just wanted to know if it is already claimed.

I'm assuming it is, because it's a pretty cool spot and I'm late to the party, but I didn't see anything here, so just in case... :)

RowdyScot
2011-12-15, 02:06
I think Ely may have already had plans for that spot, Robo. There's plenty of space in the desert portion just west of me, if you'd like, and I'd be happy to help terraform it. :)

Elysium
2011-12-15, 08:02
So I was wondering if anybody had claimed this peninsula thing south of the Post Office.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26616034/Peninsula.png

It looks like someone has already started terraforming it, I guess it was Ely? I just wanted to know if it is already claimed.

I'm assuming it is, because it's a pretty cool spot and I'm late to the party, but I didn't see anything here, so just in case... :)

I started terraforming it, but I'm not going to build on it. It's yours, Robo, I'll stop working there. :) I've got plenty of land to work on between my western outpost and the future rink complex even further out west.

Robo
2011-12-15, 13:02
woot! Thx for the quick reply ^^

I really like that spot. It's, like, three fourths of an island! :D

Now, what to build...hmm...

2011-12-15, 13:56
So, I was thinking about the Museum Complex over in BP and the possibility of someday getting it moved over to TN. In scouring the map the only place I've found that seems to work is a swampy/plain area E of Old Spawn:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/mcomplexTN.jpg

Just wanted to put that out there while there's nothing over that way (yet). I may need to take down one of the hills depending on orientation, but that's not a huge deal. Brad - when you move structures from one world to the next is the direction fixed, or is it possible to rotate?

Brad
2011-12-15, 14:16
Good bump, 709. I may drag in some posts from the other thread(s) to here.

Yes, I can rotate structures around the Y axis in 90-degree increments. Rotation and translation sometimes causes torches and paintings to pop off, and sometimes it can cause stairs blocks to face the wrong direction. Otherwise, it's fine as long as we don't mind waiting for the world to CHURN CHURN CHURN while it processes.

drewprops
2011-12-15, 19:37
I'd like a small plot in-town at TerraNova, but I want more than one plot.

I want to divvy up some plots along an area that would have small properties, in rows or wards, to encourage dense, in-town properties. Small apartments, with architectural quality. A "tony" part of the town.

Talking to grey about details now.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630422/minecraft/architectural_row.png

drewprops
2011-12-15, 20:40
Well that happened pretty fast!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630422/minecraft/intown_living.png

Grey and I are selling SIX (actually five now, I bought one) in-town homes around the historic TerraNova Quad. Each lot is EIGHT (get it?) blocks square and the HOA states that you cannot (for the time being) build a basement. The use of modern architecture is encouraged, but not a requirement. Please deposit 800,000 glowstone in the community storage if you'd like to purchase one.

Or ask nicely.

Hurry, they're going fast!!!

Note: existing roadways are meant to continue on and around this development.

billybobsky
2011-12-15, 20:55
No Digging In Those Plots!!!!!

Robo
2011-12-15, 20:59
I will build one of the city houses, if that's okay. My peninsula home is a bit farther away than I thought, and I would like a little pied-á-terre in the city. :)

Also, your screen shots are really big.

Elysium
2011-12-15, 22:56
So, I was thinking about the Museum Complex over in BP and the possibility of someday getting it moved over to TN. In scouring the map the only place I've found that seems to work is a swampy/plain area E of Old Spawn:
<snip>
Just wanted to put that out there while there's nothing over that way (yet). I may need to take down one of the hills depending on orientation, but that's not a huge deal. Brad - when you move structures from one world to the next is the direction fixed, or is it possible to rotate?

So you may have noticed there is a rink location to the west. Pick the night layer on the map and you can see.

Significant terraforming needs to take place first, but please no building in the western snow biome without checking first.

drewprops
2011-12-16, 00:21
Bruce I'm out at a waffle house after doing trader Vic's tonight. I've made part of the HOA that you cant have a basement!!!:)

Brad
2011-12-17, 23:42
Looks fine by me!

edit: Or not! Looks like 709 already claimed that area. :p

Elysium
2011-12-17, 23:47

I've got a claim I would like to make.

Likely not going to need the entirety of this area, but this swamp would be appreciated. :)

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/RowdyScot/ClaimedLand.png

Errrrr. Duke it out you two. :lol:

billybobsky
2011-12-18, 00:25
Grey wins it!

RowdyScot
2011-12-18, 01:16
I blame Brad, since he told me it was unclaimed, LOL!

Relocated. Here's the new claim.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/RowdyScot/ClaimedSwampland.png

And yes, I should have checked first. D'oh! I'm not picky as long as I get dirty water. :)

billybobsky
2011-12-18, 01:29
For future reference, I think land claims are best if done with a top down view of the map.

RowdyScot
2011-12-19, 18:51
Is there any opposition to my claim? There's a random line of torches in that area, but I don't see any huts or anything like that. I'd like to get started ASAP, so confirmation would be epic. :)

Bryson
2011-12-19, 18:57
I think I dropped those torches while searching for clay. So, no objections from me.

drewprops
2011-12-19, 20:28
I sure do wish somebody could build a haunted house with secret revolving bookcases and surprise monsters. You'd of course have to go in with wooden swords and no armor or enchanted objects. You have 10 months to finish it for gosh sakes.

Elysium
2011-12-22, 13:27
Well now that I've built my portal into the western snow biome I think I had better lay out my land claim there.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7152/6555137359_b5ed10bf7a.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6555137211_3a7ef1b6b8_z.jpg

As you can see it is quite expansive as the rink alone has a 100x100 footprint without outside landscaping. I'll also be adding outbuildings to be part of the complex. I'm also claiming a lot of the periphery on this landmass to control the landscape aesthetic. You guys can create some nice stuff, but I want to maintain control over the area of a mega-project like this.

People are welcome to come visit and set up on areas outside of this. I think we may have to setup snow gathering areas as I notice some green areas on those screenshots that are new. Separate portals are easy to install now that the main path has been built. :)

arteggio
2011-12-26, 11:15
Are plots along the laid routes freely available? I'm eying the hill right south of Delphi's Souring Condo, to the east of the SWiFT pad and between the two W-E roads.

And if I can have that plot, can I build an aesthetic retaining wall running south of the SWiFT pad until the road? I can visualize a nice cascade down the center. (Someday.)

EDIT: Oh, and: basement or no basement? From what I can see, no subway tunnel should be within the vertical shaft of that plot, but would only touch the southern side.

billybobsky
2011-12-26, 12:25
Plots in center of town should be smaller than that, arteggio. What you have asked for is the size of common use buildings; if you want to build something that large, look to the edges of the city, including areas that have not been terraformed yet. Half that size is completely appropriate for in town development. Also to re-iterate: please no exceedingly tall structures. If you want to build a tower, please restrict land claims until *after* everyone else has had a chance to build.

As for basements: if you encounter obsidian while digging: no basement (there are other things below town than future subway lines) -- there is also no horizontal digging allowed, and be warned there isn't much unexplored down below.

As for walls: I do not believe there should be fences or walls in town. If you want to adjust the terraforming, that's fine, but your chosen project *should* be open to the public and that means no inhibition of access.

Edit: and finally, please post overhead view of claimed plot.

arteggio
2011-12-26, 15:48
I've been reading up on the inner-city regulations in the threads, but couldn't find too much concrete.

The wall: I didn't mean so much a No Trespassing barrier as a lovely, low-grade water cascade leading from the pad to the other road (designated by the arrow). Just something I visualized, and it would be perfectly open to the public. But, I don't think I will get to it too soon; I wish to rebuild myself in the new world first. Between eating requirements and potion possibilities, I feel a lot like a noob again. If others come along and wish to build over that line or something before I could get to it, that's okay.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7035/6577012751_2889138fb5.jpg

If there are no precise block-count restrictions, in game I shall measure whatever half-way is between the two roads and take the quad-side half.

...Though, because of the regulations, I suppose I will seek out a personal land grab and save a little city cottage or something for later. Is it fine if I claim that city plot and leave it vacant for a while? If not, that's fine too, and that plot can be considered undeclared land unless I come back before someone else! I don't want to take it when others could make use of it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6577012887_c07ee4d979.jpg

So, is this marvelous mountain up for grabs? On the map it's dark, and I'm about to go check it out in-game. I would really like the whole range to the left and right of the central bit there, but is such hogging okay for that much terrain? I may not get to all of it for a good while. So much to do...

billybobsky
2011-12-26, 16:11
The mtn is open as far as I recall (as in almost all land grabs thus far have been limited to the flatlands of swamps).

As for the city no one has claimed a spot there, so given the aforementioned size constraints, its yours -- label it discreetly with signs and perhaps fence posts...

billybobsky
2011-12-27, 03:37
As we discussed in game tonight: There should be time limits on land claims.

I will refrain from suggesting any guidelines with the recognition that these things are hard to enforce, but you shouldn't make a land claim that you will not forseeably get to within, say, two weeks to a month. That is, if someone comes along and posts a claim on the land after that time AND starts construction, there's not much you can do about it except look for a new claim.

If you do have lots of big ideas wrt what to build, it is only fair to everyone else that you hold off on claiming land until you are actually ready to start construction. Locking people with shovel ready projects out of claimed but unused land just increases world bloat. We don't want that...

Elysium
2011-12-27, 08:33
So, is this marvelous mountain up for grabs? On the map it's dark, and I'm about to go check it out in-game. I would really like the whole range to the left and right of the central bit there, but is such hogging okay for that much terrain? I may not get to all of it for a good while. So much to do...

You may want to check with grey (709) in regards to the mountain chain as he has claimed the swampland immediately to the southeast/backside of the range with the potential to be taking down one mountain.

As we discussed in game tonight: There should be time limits on land claims.
I will refrain from suggesting any guidelines with the recognition that these things are hard to enforce, but you shouldn't make a land claim that you will not forseeably get to within, say, two weeks to a month. That is, if someone comes along and posts a claim on the land after that time AND starts construction, there's not much you can do about it except look for a new claim.

If you do have lots of big ideas wrt what to build, it is only fair to everyone else that you hold off on claiming land until you are actually ready to start construction. Locking people with shovel ready projects out of claimed but unused land just increases world bloat. We don't want that...

This is a good idea with maybe two caveats:
1) If a claim is going to be used on a project for the benefit of all, I think it can stand claimed but unused for a good while (i.e. grey's AN museum complex).
2) If a claim is out in BFE (see: the rink winter claim), I think it stand over a longer timespan than say one closer to town.

arteggio
2011-12-27, 13:43
'Mm, yes, that is closer than I recalled. If the highlight's fairly accurate, my claim of the central mountain should be safe (along with the new house upon it...). The removal of the east mountain would be fine.

I'll wait for grey's call before exploring any more.

Robo
2011-12-27, 18:54
So I am going to make a rather large land claim for a rather large project. I'd like this mountain-y area south of the peninsula:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26616034/hogwartsclaimday.png

To get a sense of where that is exactly, here's a night shot, with Mob Hill at the top and the outline of grey's swamp at the bottom:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26616034/hogwartsclaimnight.png

Note that this is just a very general, preliminary claim, and I'll post something more exact once I figure out exactly where the castle will go and what part of the forest beyond it I will need, &c. Just take this as a suggestion not to build something in that general area, particularly on the mountaintop with the flames on top. It's going to be a very large project. :D

Since I also claimed the peninsula, which seems to have become a point of contention for bb, I'll give up the bulk of the peninsula that I so lovingly terraformed. I liked Bryson's idea to make it into a park, although I also think it'd be nice to have a park closer to the heart of the city, too. :)

Thanks again to grey for showing me the fantastic spot. :D

arteggio
2011-12-27, 20:10
I'm formally requesting this parcel of swampland (about -1120 65 230) for the transplantation of my beloved Artheim castle.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6584979799_b23d3e5ee0_z.jpg

RowdyScot
2011-12-28, 12:05
Guys, use the overhead view with your claims, too. It's the far right of the "Day" views. Gives us a more specified area. :)

Brad
2011-12-28, 16:29
Robo and arteggio's claims are OK by me.

Since I've "finished" my distant Fantasma Valley city (go check it out if you haven't already! ;)), I'm ready to claim a lump of land to do some legitimate mining. The big mountainous island on the right half of arteggio's pic looks nice and unclaimed. How about it?

For context:

http://i.imgur.com/wEOiI.jpg

billybobsky
2011-12-28, 16:37
Care to share brad? I am feeling a little hemmed in....

Brad
2011-12-28, 17:05
I was hoping to find a quiet mountain to mine alone mindlessly for a while. If that's too close to you, bb, say so and I'll hunt for another place.

billybobsky
2011-12-28, 17:58
Alright, go ahead... it's yours... I will talk to drew about the coastline north of the Sky Atoll.

drewprops
2011-12-28, 19:46
If anyone builds on the coastline near me I would prefer that it not be pixel-per-pixel replicas of real world structures or massive "weenie" types of "stunt" projects. Having said that, all I really care about are the mountains directly within sight of my mountain home. If someone built similar structures to mine I might be cool with someone moving relatively close to me.

Bryson
2012-01-12, 16:16
So, due to lobby redesigns, I need to extend my claim for the TerraNova Arts Centre about 20 blocks south. It's nowhere near anything else (and behind the Arts Centre, in deep forest, so terrible land) so I imagine it'll be fine. I've taken the (rather large) liberty of blasting the shit out of it with TNT already....

It makes my TNAC plot now 61x81 instead of the 61x61 I originally thought.

As for time limits: I feel bad about Long Island. I won't get around to building the AN sign for a good while, so if anyone else has a burning desire to settle Long Island then I could find another site (or just not build it ever.). Or....we could make it a nice community project and all do it together!

Linking to the map live seems a bit hinky right now (about 400 blocks too far south) but I think this will work:
http://mcmaps.applenova.com/#layerId=LayerE&worldX=216&worldY=0&worldZ=446&zoom=4

2012-01-12, 16:24
I like your idea for Long Island... if you want to make it a community thing all the better. :)

When I initially saw the island on the map I thought about making a claim for some Easter Island type thing, but given that I had (have) a few irons in the fire already I thought it greedy. If you'd allow, I may take the backside of the island for some large stone mob totems. They may even make a nice backdrop for the new AN sign.

No issues with the TNAC expansion at all.

Bryson
2012-01-15, 01:38
I'd like to build myself a house across the street from the TNAC site:

Like this:
http://www.thefrankishes.com/brysonpics/Theatre house.jpg

I'm hoping that's ok?

RowdyScot
2012-01-15, 02:10
Fine by me, Bryson.

Brad
2012-01-22, 20:23
Small ocean grab here…

http://i.imgur.com/Gq9UD.jpg

Any objections? I may use more of the surrounding ocean area later, but this is where the first structure is going, at least.

drewprops
2012-01-22, 22:39
Brad I kind of had my eye on that same spot.

Brad
2012-01-22, 23:15
I've actually already started laying the foundation, but I can zap it to another location if the group votes against it. Did you have immediate plans for the area? Otherwise, I think the "first come first served" doctrine applies. :)

What I'm building needs to be far out in the middle of an ocean, and this was the closest one that fit the bill. Plus, it has the perks of being close to my other big project and begin far away from civilization (since some folks don't like the sight of rampant resource cheating, which this structure and the ones near it will have).

I'd prefer to keep the current location, but I'll propose an alternate to the group: the middle of the ocean between "new spawn" (near Bryson's home) and the future site of the AppleNova sign. Would anyone else prefer (or oppose) I use that location instead of my current one? Keep in mind that I will likely build up more islands once the current structure is complete.

On a related note, I'm hereby relinquishing my claim to the larger land mass around my last project of Nurmengard. Neighbors are welcome to build or mine around that area. If bobsky returns, he's free to set up camp on the coast if he's still interested.

http://i.imgur.com/ZisVU.jpg

Bryson
2012-01-22, 23:32
Dare I ask, is this a creative mode or a regular mode project? If the first, I prefer option A as it's probably out of sight of my house...

SpecMode
2012-01-22, 23:43
Dare I ask, is this a creative mode or a regular mode project? If the first, I prefer option A as it's probably out of sight of my house...

What I'm building needs to be far out in the middle of an ocean, and this was the closest one that fit the bill. Plus, it has the perks of being close to my other big project and begin far away from civilization (since some folks don't like the sight of rampant resource cheating, which this structure and the ones near it will have).

So, there you go. ;)

Bryson
2012-01-23, 00:25
Ah, missed that. Option A is better for me!

Artap99
2012-01-23, 00:46
I am building a railway that goes through here if anyone wants me to link up a station/tunnel:

http://i.imgur.com/Qmpxj.jpg

drewprops
2012-01-23, 00:59
I was only kidding, as the thing was in the middle of the ocean :)

Brad
2012-01-23, 01:59
Ah, ok! My sarcasm detector might need some fine tuning. Option A it is! :)

fireflygirl1
2012-01-25, 22:41
I like living on the edge and would like to build a neat little compound on this island... anyone mind?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Xw1GFuvdDOZANxQ4mOtrwMW731gJr8XRnOlmW6asiZfXvX_Ea-45E_yIilyLqwmCmYf3Lrs7ep0Ti1fTUE-jKbbK1dJ37yWIWPA=w1600

sachmo1337
2012-01-26, 15:20
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q594/sachmo1337/claim.png

I'd like to claim the red area on the map and to the right of it up to the ocean. I did a quick scan of this post to see if anyone has claimed it yet and didn't notice anyone wanting it. I couldn't edit the area I wanted for some reason and save it. My PC is terrible. =(

sachmo1337
2012-01-26, 15:40
ok so I can't attach pictures for some reason. I wanted to know about claiming a piece of land. It's south, south east of Turtle. where that piece of mountain, the river, and snow forest all meet. =) Hopefully I described that well enough lol.

Robo
2012-01-26, 16:10
Hopefully I described that well enough lol.

Posting images would probably be better...it's pretty easy; do you have a Dropbox account? That's probably the easiest way: you just upload your images to your Dropbox -> Public folder and Dropbox.com gives you a URL you can use to display the images here using our Insert Image button (the one that looks like a Polaroid). If you don't have a Dropbox account, I can give you a referral link and we both get bonus space, haha :D

If you're on a Mac you can use the built-in Preview application to take screen shots of sections of our map (http://mcmaps.applenova.com/) (File -> Take Screenshot -> From Selection... ), and then annotate the screen shot with circles, arrows, and text (Tools -> Annotate). If you're on a Windows PC, you could probably use the Print Screen key and scribbles in MS Paint? :D

sachmo1337
2012-01-26, 16:22
"posting rules = you may not post attachments".... =( I've taken a sc of it and marked it on the pic. So I think it's not on my end but on the permissions end of it. I'll try what you said and let you know if it works.

SpecMode
2012-01-26, 16:27
Yeah, most of us have to link to images offsite - I'm pretty sure only admins, mods, and maybe a few other people have the ability to actually attach files (I know that I sure don't).

Robo
2012-01-26, 16:43
Yeah, most of us have to link to images offsite - I'm pretty sure only admins, mods, and maybe a few other people have the ability to actually attach files (I know that I sure don't).

Ayup. Attaching an image to a forum post uploads it to the forum's server; this uses up AppleNova's resources (and probably opens up a legal can of worms). When you see users post images, satchmo, they're hosting the images elsewhere (such as Dropbox) and using the Insert Image button to link to them. You don't need permission to post attachments to do so. :)

A public Dropbox URL looks like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26616034/hogwartsclaimday.png

Which, when pasted into the Insert Image field, looks like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26616034/hogwartsclaimday.png

I hope my Dropbox isn't being as wonky for everyone else today as it is for me, 'cause that would be embarrassing. Too many images in the other thread, perhaps.

sachmo1337
2012-01-26, 16:57
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q594/sachmo1337/Claim1-1.jpg

Finally got it. =D TY sir I used my photobucket account. I'm on linux and was having trouble with drop box.

Brad
2012-01-28, 21:03
I like living on the edge and would like to build a neat little compound on this island... anyone mind?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Xw1GFuvdDOZANxQ4mOtrwMW731gJr8XRnOlmW6asiZfXvX_Ea-45E_yIilyLqwmCmYf3Lrs7ep0Ti1fTUE-jKbbK1dJ37yWIWPA=w1600

Got a broken image here. Try again?

ThunderPoit
2012-02-17, 22:34
not sure if this is the place to ask this, but with the impending new world, are we allowed to harvest anything from the nether?

2012-02-17, 23:48
With everyone just spinning their wheels at this point, I'd be open for a free-for-all as long as everyone understands that any and all structures are off limits and that personal boundaries are to be maintained.

2012-02-21, 22:41
So..... any thoughts on this Brad? Obviously you've been busy with work (per usual, lately :\), but a quick "go for it" or "let's hold off for a bit" would be appreciated (you know we only jump or stay by your command :D).

Plus, the mob trap has broked, and if I'm going to get any further with 13topia I'm going to need to beg - and you know how much I hate to do this - some TNT at some point. I have 10 layers to go and each are taking ~2 stacks a piece. I'd go back to BP's trap but wwarp is broken as well. :wtf:

Help me Bradiwan, you're my only hope. ;)

ThunderPoit
2012-02-24, 20:50
Psst, brad, since it seems you've been popping in the forums, any thoughts on plundering the nether?

Brad
2012-02-24, 21:38
PLUNDER AWAY.

Next time I'm online I'll drop some stuff off in the exchange too if 709 (or anyone else) still needs/wants.

2012-02-24, 21:40
From what it sounds like 1.2 is going to drop either next week or soon after (jeb mentioned they were in the testing phase and playing with a bit feature creep), so a word from the Overlord on resource gathering would be nice. Just to reiterate though - no gathering close to others' structures. That's not cool.

2012-02-24, 21:41
PLUNDER AWAY.

Next time I'm online I'll drop some stuff off in the exchange too if 709 (or anyone else) still needs/wants.NEED TNT. :D

Bobsky dropped in from the other side of the pond and helped me out for now, but I still need. :)

Thanks Brad. OM NOM NETHER.

Brad
2012-02-25, 01:07
NEED TNT. :D

One of the unmarked chests in the exchange is now fully stocked.

Artap99
2012-02-25, 16:54
One of the unmarked chests in the exchange is now fully stocked.

Some of this may have fallen into the wrong hands... :devil:

JohnnyTheA
2012-02-27, 23:14
I am building a railway that goes through here if anyone wants me to link up a station/tunnel:

http://i.imgur.com/Qmpxj.jpg

I think you went through my tunnel. Its okay. I built a walkway over your train tunnel but I accidentally pulverized one of your glowstone bricks. I also fell in and had to punch through the wall to get back to my tunnel...

JTA

Artap99
2012-02-27, 23:58
I think you went through my tunnel. Its okay. I built a walkway over your train tunnel but I accidentally pulverized one of your glowstone bricks. I also fell in and had to punch through the wall to get back to my tunnel...

JTA

Ah. Sorry. I was out of it when I was building that. I was going to go back and build something for the steps, but the whole working toward something that would be destroyed in a few weeks thing kind of took away my drive.

2012-05-06, 19:52
I'm on the verge of insanity with my need to remove another (:wtf:) desert for sandstone, so I need a break from the museum. Downtown needs another structure, so I'd like to build a Space Needle somewhere. A little bigger than LG, but not much. You can't see shit from 192 anyways. So:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/sncactuar.jpg

My first choice is area (1), but it looks like there's a park there now. Second choice is (2), but I'd have to work the bottom a bit.

This one will be stone brick - I always disliked the netherbrick one because you couldn't see the structure at night. And, this is a legit structure, so hopefully I can get the OK to do it downtown.

Thoughts?

Elysium
2012-05-06, 20:09
I'm on the verge of insanity with my need to remove another (:wtf:) desert for sandstone, so I need a break from the museum. Downtown needs another structure, so I'd like to build a Space Needle somewhere. A little bigger than LG, but not much. You can't see shit from 192 anyways. So:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/sncactuar.jpg

My first choice is area (1), but it looks like there's a park there now. Second choice is (2), but I'd have to work the bottom a bit.

This one will be stone brick - I always disliked the netherbrick one because you couldn't see the structure at night. And, this is a legit structure, so hopefully I can get the OK to do it downtown.

Thoughts?

We can probably work with area 2 as I've been meaning to open up that corner of my plot across tge street fron there for some *select* development. Maybe you could come up with some rough dimensions and we could try and fit it in.

Robo
2012-05-06, 20:18
I haven't been online to see the park that's there now (it looks like it's just a bunch of trees, now?), but building the Space Needle in Area 1 is a-okay with me (and I terraformed that area, so). If we were voting, I'd think Area 2 would actually make more sense for any new park — it'd continue the sculpture park that's already there to its south, sort of like Portland's series of Park Blocks. And it's more centrally located, and also that area is probably too narrow to build anything big anyway (though its enlongated shape does sort of resemble NYC's Central Park). But that's just me.

Either way, I can't wait to see it grey :)

2012-05-06, 20:25
I don't need a lot for the base. I think the last one was ~24, so I reckon ~ 36 for this one. If I could center it on the NS avenue I'd be happy as hell.

I'd only cut into your lot as a circle, I don't need to square off anything, and you know me, i'd be mindful of any aesthetics going on. :)

I'd need to hear from Bryson and bobsky too. It's a big-ass thing, though not square and pushy, but still big.

Plus, (1) may work out. I may need to build some 'tard towers to check the view at each spot. I was just working off of the overheard map.

Bryson
2012-05-07, 00:04
I'd favour location 1, as it looks like there's more space to give it some "breathing room" - and also so you can get a bit of distance to look at it. I won't cry if it goes in at 2, but it just seems like it would feel cramped.

billybobsky
2012-05-07, 04:52
Either spot works fine. Do note that the vacation home will be taller...

turtle
2012-05-07, 17:45
Space needle close to the lighthouse might make it really look small. That's my only input.

2012-05-07, 19:53
Either spot works fine. Do note that the vacation home will be taller...The vacation home will be tiered, correct? And 3 levels? I remember us chatting about it in-game, but maybe didn't retain the specifics.

I did a 'tard tower test, and location 1 would indeed be better. It has a good view of downtown plus the river town district and the lighthouse.

Brad
2012-05-13, 14:48
Couldn't sleep this morning, so I built a little jungle temple out here.

http://i.imgur.com/0k3Fx.jpg

Be careful: it's not fully illuminated and can be quite dangerous at night.

Kraetos
2012-05-13, 15:29
Could I build something on Alley Way, where Tunnel Lane pops out? Right now there's just a bunch of sand, and small pool and an oasis-type thing.

Brad
2012-05-13, 19:07
Be careful: it's not fully illuminated and can be quite dangerous at night.
This turned out better than I'd expected! :) The temple is dark by design; you must bring weapons and supplies if you plan to visit.

http://i.imgur.com/FB89W.jpg

Could I build something on Alley Way, where Tunnel Lane pops out? Right now there's just a bunch of sand, and small pool and an oasis-type thing.
Ely's Desert Oasis is a desert preservation. He was the first to settle in the desert and claimed that neat overhang area. That said, it might be fine for you to build on the west side of Tunnel Lane across from his oasis. Were you planning to build on the north or south side of the tunnel? I think the whole north end, around the Mario Street intersection, is free for taking. We need northward expansion anyway, so that might work out nicely.

Elysium
2012-05-13, 20:17

Ely's Desert Oasis is a desert preservation. He was the first to settle in the desert and claimed that neat overhang area. That said, it might be fine for you to build on the west side of Tunnel Lane across from his oasis. Were you planning to build on the north or south side of the tunnel? I think the whole north end, around the Mario Street intersection, is free for taking. We need northward expansion anyway, so that might work out nicely.

Actually the spot he picked out is to the north of my place and just east of Dellphi's. I assume the oasis he is talking about is the well there. So no objections from me on for that area.

2012-05-13, 21:35
This turned out better than I'd expected! :)It's really really cool Brad. Nicely done from tip to toe. :)

Actually the spot he picked out is to the north of my place and just east of Dellphi's. I assume the oasis he is talking about is the well there. So no objections from me on for that area.I guess the only thing we haven't discussed is whether to leave the natural wells. Since there's another one so close and its been enshrined in Brad's park I'd be OK with Kraetos removing the "oasis" one if he needed to.

Brad
2012-05-14, 08:09
Ah, I see! Yeah, using that are is totally fine by me. Build away! :)

Kraetos
2012-05-14, 10:04
I marked off the area I want to build in. I would probably replace the surrounding sand with grass and landscape it. It seems to be about the same size as other projects in town.

delphi
2012-05-14, 12:10
Kraetos, if you wish, you can build all the way next to my building. I was doing some terafroming just for fun. I have no plans for that grass area.

Kraetos
2012-05-14, 17:21
Thanks! I'm probably going to put some sort of garden there.

Brad
2012-05-19, 22:43
http://i.imgur.com/zDlwa.jpg

Cactuar is in desperate need of some eateries. One has just been constructed here.

2012-05-25, 23:59
So, this a tad premature, but I'd like to claim this strip if nobody minds:

http://greychristian.com/AN/sspath.jpg

I'll just be building a path with lighting, basically. And some small stuff.

But I plan on asking for a certain thing (not my own) once it's in place.

Elysium
2012-06-07, 19:10
Considering I've been missing for long stretches of time due to real life projects I figured I'd layout my project areas/claims outside of the oasis in town.

Wide angle shot of all three areas (click for bigger):

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7098/7164681361_7bb9dd3cf2_z.jpg (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7098/7164681361_7bb9dd3cf2_b.jpg)

Area 1: Ely's winter home
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7164681449_58227a9549_z.jpg (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7164681449_58227a9549_b.jpg)
Yes the whole damn island. This one has been well established for a while now. There are a number of caves that I torched below that extend into the SW corner of the box. Be careful mining in that direction as I haven't pulled the resources yet.

Area 2: Future site of the Rink of Pain
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7092/7349892806_8e5f126647_z.jpg
Yes, the Rink of Pain will make it's appearance in this area. The rink is marked by tard towers and the boundaries of the claim have been torched. They're quite extensive so be careful if you want to build out there.

Area 3: Sekrit Base
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7164681163_7ba0b901d5_z.jpg (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7164681163_7ba0b901d5_b.jpg)
Super top secret base to be built on this island. The edges of the island have been marked with torches.

Bryson
2012-06-07, 20:36
I pitched a claim down near Brad's Fort Knox. It's currently marked with gravel.

There's two little shacks near the plot. One (the Lumberjack Shack) is mine, but there's another with a little mine underneath that hasn't changed in ages. Does it's owner still have plans for it?

I can live if the claim is still current, but I'd love to extend to the water's edge there.

RowdyScot
2012-06-07, 20:49
I think that one is mine. No plans for it. Was just a resource mine.

billybobsky
2012-06-08, 02:48
I wish I had time to play... :(

RowdyScot
2012-06-08, 05:41
Same. I may have some time during this next week.

2012-06-09, 15:44
Area 3: Sekrit Base
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7164681163_7ba0b901d5_z.jpg (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7164681163_7ba0b901d5_b.jpg)
Super top secret base to be built on this island. The edges of the island have been marked with torches.Aha! That was you. :)

13topia is going to be out in the water a little NW of there (look for the corner blip on the overhead map), so all I ask is that you don't build out into the water - at least not on the NW side. :)

Elysium
2012-06-09, 17:59
Aha! That was you. :)

13topia is going to be out in the water a little NW of there (look for the corner blip on the overhead map), so all I ask is that you don't build out into the water - at least not on the NW side. :)

No worries about that. Topside will likely have no immediately visible structures, but some creative terraforming. Pretty much all the work will be on the the southeast and east ends. :)

Any mining, if at all, will be confined to the island footprint.

Brad
2012-06-09, 19:22
709's, Ely's, and Bry's claims all look fine by me. Go build! :)

Meanwhile, I've started constructing a small chain of islands out here:

http://i.imgur.com/FhKAt.jpg

I've already connected to one island by way of a nether portal, but I would discourage visiting until construction is complete.

Brad
2012-06-09, 19:32
I wish I had time to play... :(

Would you object to me* mirror-copying the walls and ceiling of your residence in town to bring it to a closer stage of completion? It would be a shame for Cactuar to have its own Ryugyong Hotel**.

* I won't touch it unless you give your blessing.

** Though I have actually considered building Ryugyong.

billybobsky
2012-06-10, 02:00
Go ahead brad... but take great care...

Brad
2012-06-10, 12:04
Go ahead brad... but take great care...

Done. Ta-da!

http://i.imgur.com/vmF7V.jpg

All appeared to work out perfectly except for the narrow stairwell inside the front wall. I tried to fix it, but you may want to take a look at that when you get a chance.

billybobsky
2012-06-10, 17:17
Nicely done only a couple of items needed fixing and then a creeper went and blew up a staircase... but other than that....

2012-06-17, 22:34
Since this has to do mostly with land claims I thought it best here.

In burrowing out the bottom level of the museum I find myself with 37 metric shit-tons of dirt on my hands - and a lot more to come. So, my first order of business when I get back in town later this week is to terraform Cactuar like a motherformer.

There are a handful of places that I know not to touch, like Ely's oasis, RS's hill & Cactuar park, but I just want to put this out here now in case anyone likes sand around their build (like I do around slanthaus).

Main areas that I think are safe are N of the park next to the Station all the way W to Dellphi, and the strip in front of Dellphi (which, honestly, I'd like to remove that path S of Alley Way that makes it a skinny rectangle).

Areas I'm not too sure about are the strip between Dellphi's and Brad's houses (the one going past SpecMode's) and the base of Jack's mountain.

Any qualms about me doing that? The overhead map is kind of bugging me. :p

:D

delphi
2012-06-18, 11:45
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Brad
2012-06-18, 12:24
Fine by me! :)

Do note, however, that the little farm and house immediately north of my old house belong to Kraetos, but he hasn't been online in a while and I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

billybobsky
2012-06-18, 13:27
I 'own' the patch with the Enigma fountain... feel free to modify up to RS's hill...

RowdyScot
2012-06-19, 02:42
I know I've not been able to get on much recently, but I do have plans for all of my area yet. :) I just need things to stop breaking.

Brad
2012-06-24, 00:08
709's, Ely's, and Bry's claims all look fine by me. Go build! :)

Meanwhile, I've started constructing a small chain of islands out here:

http://i.imgur.com/FhKAt.jpg

I've already connected to one island by way of a nether portal, but I would discourage visiting until construction is complete.

Three weeks later, I'm done! :)

To get there via the nether, there's a portal north of Dellphi's house's portal. Staring from the Community Exchange portal, exit the portal to the left, turn right at the split, and pass the portals for SpecMode and Dellphi. The next portal on the right for "Dinosaur Land" will take you to my new park.

billybobsky
2012-06-30, 19:13
lol. that is all.

ThunderPoit
2012-07-10, 13:28
Umm, whats the giant cube thingy in the desert just east of my place?
Looks like a cube outline made of bedrock and a quarry in the desert inside it

billybobsky
2012-07-10, 14:05
It will be a cube made out of bedrock.

2012-07-10, 14:45
So, this a tad premature, but I'd like to claim this strip if nobody minds:

http://greychristian.com/AN/sspath.jpg

I'll just be building a path with lighting, basically. And some small stuff.

But I plan on asking for a certain thing (not my own) once it's in place.I plan on completing this path in the next couple of days - I really need to build something to break the monotony of digging. That said, the museum is nearly dug out; but it won't be floored until I can get the staircases done. Getting so close.

Brad - where were you thinking about putting your pieces? Do you want them in the snowy area or do you want to use that lighted strip directly E? If you want them in the snow I'll remove more of that area and light it. :)

[edit]: Here's an updated overhead, including the lighted area to the east.

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/museum10July.jpg

[edit2]: Or hell, I only had plans for a park between the museum and the planetarium. Maybe you could put them in those two areas (leaving room for a few more ;)). That might be even more fun than having them off to the side:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/museum10July-new.jpg

I still have to terraform that lower part, but if you like that idea I'll make that a priority.

ThunderPoit
2012-07-10, 15:45
It will be a cube made out of bedrock.

Does it have to be that large? It will basically take up half my view from my location.

billybobsky
2012-07-11, 02:44
You shouldn't be able to see it from your house, since I cannot see your house from it. I should mention the fact that I did consider the distance to other projects -- Grey's museum and your development when placing it...

Elysium
2012-07-11, 09:38
You shouldn't be able to see it from your house, since I cannot see your house from it. I should mention the fact that I did consider the distance to other projects -- Grey's museum and your development when placing it...

You can make out the lower portions when using Optifine, but barely.

The only thing I will say about this is the distaste I have for creative and legit projects in the same area, especially if the legit projects were preexisting. :\

Hence, why I am building on islands or taking up huge remote land areas. :D

2012-07-11, 10:50
I'm OK with it. I happened to be on when bobsky was staking it out, and he moved it 3 chunks away from the museum from his initial plot just to be safe. It's not a skyranch thing... it's far enough away from anything to affect anyone - unless you have your view set to super-far, I guess.

Kind've knew that bobsky was the Borg Overlord, but this seals it. :D

Bryson
2012-07-11, 12:54
I just opened the map to see what you were talking about.

"How big could it b..oh"

That's LARGE.

billybobsky
2012-07-11, 14:41
Damn right, I do nothing half assed.

Bryson
2012-07-24, 23:28
Any ideas what's causing these linear features?

http://www.thefrankishes.com/brysonpics/stripes.jpg
http://www.thefrankishes.com/brysonpics/stripes 2.jpg

They seem to be a single line of sand removed in parallel lines - they extend through my Brysia village.

Here's what they look like in-game:
http://www.thefrankishes.com/brysonpics/stripes ingame.jpg

Weird, eh?

drewprops
2012-07-25, 06:24
Damn right, I do nothing half assed.

Holy crap, that's gargantuan.... is it BIGGER than Skyranch???

turtle
2012-07-25, 07:09
I personally don't have a clue. Very interesting though.

2012-08-06, 14:08
So since we're back to basics for the time being and everyone is scrambling for coal/charcoal I thought I may take a day or so to revisit my treefarm idea and build something similar as a community farm in the new world. For those that weren't in BP or don't remember, this was my much maligned by name treefarm in BP:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/tf2a.jpg

This topped out right at the height limit at the time (64), but I'll likely add 2 more levels since we have jungle wood now. 2 levels for Oak since it's the quickest and easiest for charcoal gathering (and they grow right next to each other in a row) then 2 levels each for the rest of the wood types (they all need a space between). The interior is hollow, so if someone is hot for jungle wood they could grow the 4x4s on the inside:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/tf2b.jpg

Not sure about where to put it though. It's tall, but not huge, and I don't want to put a big structure so close to/in sight of anyone that wouldn't want it there. I have a few areas in mind that will work, but I'd like input (areas are not in order of preference):

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/tf2.jpg

1) Off the coast of The Isle of Industry. Downside is that it's a trek from Spawn, and as of now only accessible by boat. Upside is it's out of sight for just about everyone.
2) The sand island a little further out of town. Same down/up as above, but it may push for expansion that way instead of into the jungle.
3) Somewhere in the forest behind Spawn. This would make it a part of the future expansion, and likely a part of the city. It's not ugly or anything (:p), but I'll only put it there if people are fine with having it a part of the inevitable urban sprawl.

This one will be made out of the wood types too, not stone. Not enough charcoal to do that. :D

Brad
2012-08-06, 16:28
this was my much maligned by name treefarm in BP:
What are you talking about? I thought everyone loved the trashcan! :D

2012-08-06, 16:37
Right next to Brad's house it is then!

:p

Brad
2012-08-06, 16:37
1) Off the coast of The Isle of Industry. Downside is that it's a trek from Spawn, and as of now only accessible by boat. Upside is it's out of sight for just about everyone.
2) The sand island a little further out of town. Same down/up as above, but it may push for expansion that way instead of into the jungle.
3) Somewhere in the forest behind Spawn. This would make it a part of the future expansion, and likely a part of the city. It's not ugly or anything (:p), but I'll only put it there if people are fine with having it a part of the inevitable urban sprawl.

All so far away! I'd choose #3 because it's closest to spawn. No sense in putting a farm so far out of reach that no one will use it.

2012-08-06, 17:24
I just wanted to be conscious of people's sight lines. Of course I'd love to put it close to spawn to kind've act as a useful thing plus a place to look from above (ala the Space Needle), but I just want to make sure peoples are OK with that.

turtle
2012-08-06, 21:45
Closer is OK with me.

delphi
2012-08-06, 22:26
Yes. I agree. Build it close to town

SpecMode
2012-08-06, 22:27
Yep, I'm cool with it too. We're in the middle of a forest - it's not like most of us can even see the horizon from ground level, anyway. :)

billybobsky
2012-08-07, 07:32
so i won't be able to play minecraft for some time i think since i have no internet in my new house...

sucks much this does.

2012-08-11, 13:59
Treefarm 2.0 is open for business! :)

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/treetower2.jpg

2 levels of oak, 2 birch, 3 spruce (since spruce needed to be 2 blocks away from one another) and 4 2x2 dirt areas on the inside to plant giant jungle trees.

I ended up only adding 1 additional level from the original design and tweaked the width of the levels a bit. If we find that we need to add another oak level or something it's easy enough to do.

Brad
2012-08-11, 15:05
Spruce! Finally! It is glorious. Well done, 709! :)

Brad
2012-08-11, 15:20
Not bad at all. I just leveled and replanted one floor of spruce, and that netted me 64+64+15 logs and 22 extra saplings.

Kraetos
2012-08-17, 20:46
What's the brick thing to the northeast of town?

Brad
2012-08-17, 21:46

Ooh! The map finally updated. :)

Looks like a color-segregated sheep farm. 16 bins? Eaten grass? Check and check.

edit: Looks like Dellphi is out there. Must be his!

2012-08-17, 21:52
Looks like a color-segregated sheep farm.

wait what.

*NAACS decends*

*waits for Rev. Al Sheepton to get in front of a camera*

drewprops
2012-08-18, 00:11
LOLOLOL

Okay hey everybody, I have selected the little swampy island east of spawn (our future town). It looks like one of those hook echoes you see with tornadoes so I'm calling it Tornado Hooker Island.

Or something like that.

Time to poop.

SpecMode
2012-08-18, 01:36
I've claimed the big mountain to the north-northeast of spawn, which I have dubbed Mob Hill in honor of its esteemed predecessors. Also, for the crazy numbers of spiders, skellies, zombies, and creepers I had to kill while I was building my cabin on it.

delphi
2012-08-18, 03:36

Yes. That is my little farm.

Kraetos
2012-08-18, 13:39
Cool!

In other news I built a Marina on the southern shore. If you played Sim City 2000 you should recognize it. I also built a rail that connects it to the Arco.

Brad
2012-08-18, 15:58
Cool!

In other news I built a Marina on the southern shore. If you played Sim City 2000 you should recognize it. I also built a rail that connects it to the Arco.

I just checked this out. Very nicely done sir! :D

Brad
2012-08-18, 16:04
Yes. That is my little farm.

Just visited here too. Also very well done! :) I do like that design. Would you be willing to share this farm as a community resource? If so, I may decommission my sheep pen and erect some other building in its place.

delphi
2012-08-18, 16:42
Yes. All are welcome at the little farm.

RowdyScot
2012-08-18, 16:44
Question - since we now have a rail to the southern shore from Arco, and developments at that southern shore, should we focus on perhaps developing the area between Spawn/Arco and the southern shore?

2012-08-20, 10:32
The paper/sugar mill is functional and ready for harvesting if anyone needs it, though the building itself isn't finished (and most likely won't be this week - busy busy). Each row is 32 plants long, and there's 8 rows per floor, so as it stands now you should be able to harvest 16 stacks (leaving the bottom of the stalks to regrow, of course). I may build a lower floor too - not sure about that yet.

[edit]: It's on the far side of the Isle of Industry (the island near Spawn) in case some didn't know where it's located:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/papermill1.jpg

drewprops
2012-08-23, 18:26
Here's a view back toward Kraetos' marina from my island.

Note that there's a little sand island between us, which might be useful for a public lighthouse IF my tentative claim on it is valid. Although I thought that Robo's was spiffy in the last world I'd like it if this one could be a bit more spindly and modern - that way I'll still have a good view of K's marina and people on shore will have plenty of ocean to look at. I'm not necessarily asking to be the one to build it, but I'm thinking that it would be nice if it if the base were not much bigger than the outline there now - though it could get bigger as it went up, so that there's a viewing platform?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/630422/minecraft/pirates_cove_001.jpg

Whatcha think?

Edit: Oh, I'm tentatively calling this area "Pirates Cove" though I'm DEFINITELY not stuck on the name. - my island won't be very piratical.

Elysium
2012-08-27, 00:08
Ok, so I've found an area that I finally want to claim. It's the taiga area to the south of the desert island with the litup village. I'll post an overhead of the area once the map updates.

It's a fairly large plot with the vast majority of it being designated as a park with some minimal building by myself. :)

I'll torch the outer boundary once I have time to get back to town and pick up some food and charcoal.