PDA

View Full Version : AppleTV...do you need a computer?

pscates2.0
2011-06-28, 19:32
Just dawned on me that my friend (who doesn't have cable and a POS PC laptop that is next-to-useless due to all the usual reasons, and even if it wasn't she's just not all that into it).

She does have an iPhone and Comcast high-speed Internet and WiFi in her home, and a 30"-ish LCD TV in her bedroom, limited to DVD viewing for her and her son (and me on good day :p ).

But her son (this is the little monkey from the iPod touch) watches cartoons and stuff via YouTube and they might like the ability to rent things on the fly from iTunes.

My question is...does AppleTV require a computer, or can it just connect to her TV and work off WIFi and pipe in that content?

I'll be seeing her Friday when I return home. If a computer isn't needed, I might tell her about this...

It would be a way for him to watch stuff on a larger screen, etc.

torifile
2011-06-28, 19:52
No computer needed. You can stream directly from an iPhone for music etc. Obviously there's also Netflix, YouTube and iTunes.

pscates2.0
2011-06-28, 20:10
But the iPhone isn't required either, correct? It can be just wifi, AppleTV and her TV, right?

This may be a great solution for her.

The phone stuff (slideshows or whatever) is nice, but I wouldn't want all movie/cartoon viewing hinging on her iPhone or his iPod touch.

chucker
2011-06-28, 21:38
But the iPhone isn't required either, correct? It can be just wifi, AppleTV and her TV, right?

It doesn't have it's own data storage, so you gotta stream from somewhere, e.g. Netflix.

turtle
2011-06-28, 22:01
See, that's what I miss about the old style. I like having local storage for the sake of my kids. Plus, my library was the focus not the cloud.

Of course, those old ones can't do AirPlay. I'm sure it's just so Apple can prevent people from streaming content out of uncontrolled component ports, but still.

pscates2.0
2011-06-28, 22:29
It doesn't have it's own data storage, so you gotta stream from somewhere, e.g. Netflix.

Right. That's what I mentioned wifi for (Netflix, YouTube, iTunes, etc.). Just didn't want their phone or iPod touch to be mandatory. Isn't always practical or convenient, of course.

Sorry, this is just one of those products I've never followed or learned about. Although I find myself wondering if I'd be a good candidate for one too. Although, unlike my friend, I do have/use a computer and it's become my TV/window to the world (when they come over to visit or eat, I'll put on Tom & Jerry or Other things on YouTube and put it on full screen. To a four-year-old, a 20" iMac playing his favorite fare is a "big screen TV" and we get no complaints.

She's just in a different position then I am, when it comes to computers, tech, etc. Her iPhone is her computer at this point. Once iOS 5 hits, she'll be fully self-contained. She's exactly the type of user Apple has in mind with that PC Free stuff! :)

chucker
2011-06-29, 01:26
Right. That's what I mentioned wifi for (Netflix, YouTube, iTunes, etc.). Just didn't want their phone or iPod touch to be mandatory. Isn't always practical or convenient, of course.

Ahh. See, I was confused there. No, Macs or iOS devices don't have to be tethered to it whenever you want to watch something. I'm not entirely sure if initial setup requires iTunes, though.

Although I find myself wondering if I'd be a good candidate for one too.

A someone going through a few Mac-less days (broken MagSafe adapter :( ), i find myself longing for something that can also be the canonical library, if that makes sense — my MacBook Pro's hard drive is too small to host all my movies and TV shows and whatnot, but something sitting in the living room could easily be connected to TBs worth of stuff. Alas, no good product for this as far as I can see.

She's exactly the type of user Apple has in mind with that PC Free stuff! :)

I think just about everyone I looking forward to less dependence on iTunes. There's a ton of benefits.

torifile
2011-06-29, 05:14
It's been a little while since I set mine up but I don't think iTunes was required.