PDA

View Full Version : Photo Challenge Thread (PCT): Wealth

Dorian Gray
2011-07-08, 19:02
This month the theme is wealth. Let's ignore for a moment the fact that 1.7 billion people live in absolute poverty — easily done, as we do most days — and instead see what money can buy.

Wealth takes a variety of forms, many of them good in and of themselves. Taste influences the expression of wealth. Some people like to flash their cash while others reveal it only to those in the know. Some people splurge on transient fun while others invest in real estate and chattels. But whether old money or the nouveau riche, rentier or magnate, banker or entrepreneur, these people do not need dollars. Let's see the evidence of that! And if it's a display of wealth characteristic of your region of the world, all the better. I'd just rather you didn't photograph your own wealth.

I'll accept entries until 11.59 GMT on the 8th of August. Good luck! Work hard!

Brad
2011-07-08, 19:42
Wow — excellent contrast with last month's subject. :)

PB PM
2011-07-08, 20:13
Very interesting subject, this should be fun.

AWR
2011-07-09, 00:42
Should be fun, this one! Work hard! :lol:

PB PM
2011-07-09, 01:54
I wish I'd taken a photo of the guy I saw with a Leica M9 this week, that would have been great. ;)

Gargoyle
2011-07-10, 02:43
Not my entry, but was posted on twitter yesterday...

https://p.twimg.com/AT6-lXPCAAAUDr_.jpg

PB PM
2011-07-26, 00:06
Wow this challenge is going... slow. Almost forgot about it!

Chinney
2011-07-26, 20:43
A nicely-wrapped meal:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6028/5980030252_b35f3fa6ba_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/18678497@N03/5980030252/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Dorian Gray
2011-08-07, 02:52
Less than two days to go! (I meant to include a "pm" in my deadline time in my original post. So you have twelve hours more than it seems. :))

GSpotter
2011-08-07, 13:03
Unfortunately, I won't have a fitting entry this time. Work kept me very busy for the last weeks and tomorrow I'll go on vacation. So I'm packing my stuff, cleaning the lenses etc and tomorrow, we'll sit in the car for some hours... If the deadline would be in two weeks, I might have a chance to find something.

I had a few minutes spare time yesterday evening, so even as it is not really what Dorian Gray had in mind:
At least for about 20% of the world population, this would be a sign of wealth:
http://web.me.com/vwurst/applenova/glass_of_water.jpg

Dorian Gray
2011-08-12, 16:07
I've been jetting around a bit, but am back home now.

Since we had one entry for this competition, I declare Chinney the easy winner. It is indeed a nicely-wrapped meal, though if you look closely you can see it's also a nicely-wrapped Chinney! :)

Sorry for picking a dud topic. Perhaps it would have worked better if it had not taken place during the summer holidays. And thanks for the photo, Chinney!

By the way, nice H2O portrait, GSpotter. Did you light it with a couple of Speedlights?

billybobsky
2011-08-12, 16:21
There just isn't that much wealth in the world nowadays...

Brad
2011-08-12, 16:30
There just isn't that much wealth in the world nowadays...

Yeah, I've been keeping my eye out IRL for worthy "wealth" subjects over the past month, and nothing ever really jumped out at me.

Though, I guess GSpotter once again proves that perspective is everything. ;)

GSpotter
2011-08-12, 17:13
By the way, nice H2O portrait, GSpotter. Did you light it with a couple of Speedlights?No, I recently read a few entries on light painting at Dave Black's website. So I took a flashlight, put the camera on a tripod, set to "M" with 30 seconds and used the flashlight a brush: Lots of fun, every shot looks different. The final shot was the 10th try...

Chinney
2011-08-12, 18:11
Thanks Dorian. I was going to suggest that you extend it for a month to allow the summer to pass...I thought we did that once before. I thought it was a good topic actually. In any event, I will give the next topic some thought and post it by the beginning of next week.

Xaqtly
2011-08-12, 20:58
Sorry, I meant to get some photos for this thread - I mean being in Vegas wealth shots are easy - but I never had my camera with me, didn't hit the strip at all, etc. excuses.

turtle
2011-08-13, 18:26
I had an eye out but didn't see anything that said wealth. I do like the idea, just didn't cross those paths it seems.

evan
2011-08-14, 16:46
I had an eye out but didn't see anything that said wealth. I do like the idea, just didn't cross those paths it seems.

likewise. here's to this month's contest!