PDA

View Full Version : MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Pages : [1] 2 3

turtle
2011-07-11, 08:23
I have been looking forward to making this public for a while. I've had to work through some stuff to make this a worthwhile project. So here I give you my biggest contribution to our MineCraft world:
http://mc.applenova.com/mapoverview.png (http://mcmaps.applenova.com)
http://mcmaps.applenova.com

As you would imagine, you can zoom in and out and see all the latest projects. I will generally keep the map rendered once a week or so but attempt to keep the players updated nightly. I'm still working out the bugs on this, but should have it totally automated in short order.

With this mapping program you can display special signs!
Special Signs

'Special' signs are those that begin and end with one of these characters:
! # - = ~
So the following sign would show up on the map:
-----------
someone's
house
----------
Or:
# my place! #
Or:
~ long
sign
on four
lines ~

I currently have the players in view limited to the players on our white-list. If you really don't want yourself visible in the map, PM me a compelling reason you shouldn't be visible and I'll edit the list for my generation purposes to remove you from the map.

Choose between day or night in the upper right corner. Choose which options you'd like to have displayed in the bottom right corner. Have fun exploring your world!

drewprops
2011-07-11, 12:21
Wow!!

2011-07-11, 14:20
Awesome work T. :) I love it.

Brad
2011-07-11, 16:29
Tell 'em how many GB all the image files take up! :lol:

Glad to see this finally go live and that you worked out all the kinks, T. Good work! :)

drewprops
2011-07-11, 17:31
Why is Batman crouching on my walkway? What's he about to do??? Is the Joker hanging out around my beach house???

Bryson
2011-07-11, 18:04
Brilliant! I'm nude still!

Maciej
2011-07-11, 18:57
Awesome!

Bryson
2011-07-11, 19:16
Man, I live a long way South right now. I was quite excited about seeing diamonds in the edge of the map, though... ;)

If you do point your map browsing down south, check out my lovely ice tree: I'd link to it but links seem to be consistently too far North-East for some reason.

turtle
2011-07-11, 19:19
So, for those wondering why this might seem like a task, Brad had to really help me out with this. Here is the answer to his question:

18.26 GB on disk (17,729,995,127 bytes) for 249,469 items

Yeah, so this was a pain to get onto the server to say the least. It takes minimum of 5 hours to render the maps. Uploading via FTP took more than a day.

Thus my thread about rsync and other transfer options. After getting home today I pulled the world files because no one was on so I could test render and rsync. Using the same cache as before it only took 46 minutes to do the partial render. I'm currently doing the rsync but am not timing it this time.

Anyway, thank you for the compliments guys. I do hope you all enjoy the maps. Maybe we'll get some more love from the non-MC guys here at AN. :D

drewprops
2011-07-11, 20:05
This REALLY helps me understand where things are!

SpecMode
2011-07-11, 20:23
Night view is totally badass. Just thought I'd mention that. :D

Maciej
2011-07-11, 20:28
Now that I know where they are, I'm going to go sleep in all of your beds! Muahahahah!

turtle
2011-07-11, 21:20
I'm just trying to figure out why Grey has a naked man in his house? :err:

:lol:

2011-07-12, 15:15
:eek:

Bryson is taking a skinny-dip in my pool it looks like. :D

Bryson
2011-07-12, 15:23
I've also been sitting on your pillow.

I hear you can get ointments for pinkeye that are really effective.

:)

2011-07-12, 15:39
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

*burns bed*

drewprops
2011-07-12, 16:59
I don't understand the whole "bed" thing.

I slept in my bed to "lock it" to me, and it worked for awhile but then it stopped and I started going back to Spawn. Is this a bug or does it mean that somebody else came along and slept in it? If the latter, that's pretty rotten, if you ask me. ::grouchy::

Maybe I need a class on MC beds.

Kraetos
2011-07-12, 17:43
I don't understand the whole "bed" thing.

Happened to me too, I think it coincided with an update, i.e. it was a bug. Just sleep there again and you'll be fine.

turtle
2011-07-13, 22:14
So it looks like the views option is causing some challenges to work through. I've created a Temp Down page so you will see when it's specifically me doing something. Anyway, just thought you might want to know. :)

Brad
2011-07-14, 00:21
"Down for maintenance" has been up for hours! I need my maps fix! *itch itch* The first one's free, he said. *itch itch*

drewprops
2011-07-14, 00:35
Dude. I was just on and NOBODY was there, but you're in here posting!!

S'okay, though, I need to be going to spleep.

turtle
2011-07-14, 08:03
It has not been fun with these views. It's crashed out just about every time. Worst part is that the map produced last night as I went to bed produced a default Google Maps page rather than our map.

So I'm running it a few more times before heading to work in hopes that it will function properly. So far so good, however I won't be able to initiate the uploading of it until getting back home if this one does work.

Kinda frustrating really.

drewprops
2011-07-14, 08:42
Maybe you should only do this every 4 weeks? Don't put such pressure on yourself to run it so frequently or you'll burn out on the process!

Brad
2011-07-14, 12:43
Solution: disable views. More trouble than they're worth. :p

turtle
2011-07-14, 14:01
I just might disable views. I figured out the offending view was mine I had placed at the Park for the arches. Oh well. I'm at work on lunch break right now so I can't rsync it yet...or check on if it completed. I did remove my view before leaving though.

I'll get it back up ASAP after getting home. Views just might go bye bye too. I'll play with it a little more though.

Bryson
2011-07-14, 14:04
Views are a nicety, but not essential. Especially if they're killing the thing.

I'm interested by the "block count" at home. Only 6 jukeboxes? 1 sponge? Let's find it!

turtle
2011-07-14, 14:08
I found the sponge. :)

Maybe I shouldn't admit that though. :p

Brad
2011-07-14, 15:10
That one sponge has been around since last year, too. ;)

Bryson
2011-07-14, 16:24
Inside the Fortress of Insanity was my guess...

2011-07-14, 16:28
Definitely not at the Turtle Ranch...

;)

Brad
2011-07-14, 16:47
Inside the Fortress of Insanity was my guess...

Nope!

turtle
2011-07-14, 19:15

Not at my Ranch that's for sure. :)

Oh, views are gone. Not going to bother with them anymore. Brad, please edit the OP to remove the views section. Thanks guys for your understanding. Building new maps now. Should be pretty fast at this point.

turtle
2011-07-14, 20:08
Map is back up sans views.

It's also up view the 8:15PM Eastern snapshot I ran to be sure. Latest changes are visible. :)

Brad
2011-07-14, 20:40
Brad, please edit the OP to remove the views section.
Done!

turtle
2011-07-23, 19:56
I'm sure most of you didn't notice, but I moved the maps to a new server. I'm ditching my hosting with Server4You due to horrible support and I have shiny new hosting with my current employer. :) Anyway, if you did get some downtime trying to view the maps they are back up and updated.

turtle
2011-07-28, 23:36
Map has been updated. :)

2011-07-29, 09:58
Hmm. I put some torches down in an area E of Drew's new place for a potential "Arches Natural Park" but they don't seem to be showing up. I was going to wait until after the 1.8 update to work on it anyways, so if they got wiped somehow no biggie.

Brad
2011-07-29, 12:02
BTW, when the 1.8 update rolls through, I'm tempted to try a deeper prune of the map. Somewhere I've seen a tools that will try to delete/regen any chunk that contains only natural resources. Any chunk containing zero torches, wood blocks, chests, etc. would be marked for removal. I'd love to give that a try on our world.

(If I can't find that tool or it doesn't work, I'm also tempted to write my own.)

So, if there are areas you would like to be included for regen with 1.8, don't plant torches or build in them. ;)

2011-07-29, 12:46
Interesting! That could be really cool. :)

If they're still there prior to the 1.8 update I'll just head over and remove them. Part of the reason for me waiting to build the park was the chance some other interesting features might pop up after the regen. Don't forget to wipe the N sand mine super-chunk before hand! I'd be mortified if that became permanent. :|

drewprops
2011-07-29, 15:35
I *love* the place where we played CreeperMining.... it still makes me laugh thinking about that zany crap.

Brad
2011-07-29, 15:53
How about going creepermining one last time at 709's old sarlacc pit before I prune those chunks? Tonight, say, 11-midnightish?

turtle
2011-07-29, 19:03
Hmm. I put some torches down in an area E of Drew's new place for a potential "Arches Natural Park" but they don't seem to be showing up. I was going to wait until after the 1.8 update to work on it anyways, so if they got wiped somehow no biggie.

Can you post a screen cap of that area? I see a bunch of places with torches over near there but have no way of knowing if it's the area you are talking about. It is possible it's a browser caching issue for you, or the map gen program doesn't do just torches... give me a point and I'll see about taking a look.

turtle
2011-08-08, 22:39
FYI, map has been recently updated. Showing progress at spawn and 709's project being the biggest.

Capt'n way out south is there too.

drewprops
2011-08-08, 23:35
So THAT'S where I am.

Huh.

turtle
2011-08-10, 11:14
Updating the map again now.

Brad, did you do pruning of the creeper mining area? Looks really odd now with the map. Wondering if it means I need to do a complete render rather than incremental.

2011-08-10, 19:45
FYI, map has been recently updated. Showing progress at spawn and 709's project being the biggest.Big project is big.

This may take a while. :|

Gargoyle
2011-08-11, 17:17
Eeeek. I think I need to find a few hours to come and have a catchup. There seems to be a tree growing through my windows! :/

turtle
2011-08-14, 15:14
You don't need to worry about that tree now. :p

Maps are updated. :D

SpecMode
2011-08-14, 17:17
You don't need to worry about that tree now. :p

Or the window, for that matter.

drewprops
2011-08-14, 22:28
Or the window, for that matter.

Or the earth below that window.

turtle
2011-08-14, 22:29

Working on putting up the latest version at this point.... give it about an hour and it'll be done.

drewprops
2011-08-14, 22:34
I was devastated to realize that the armory had been destroyed.
I flitted all the way out there to get myself some safety armor, only to find ruin and an angry skellie.

turtle
2011-08-14, 22:50
Yeah, it's pretty worthless right now. But the newest map is done. :p

Brad
2011-08-14, 23:23
But the newest map is done.

IT'S GLORIOUS.

http://applenova.com/etc/brad/random/awesome_bear.gif

drewprops
2011-08-15, 00:48
You realize we can never go back to the sedate world of building tiddly little shit anymore. Not after tasting godhood and the crackle of lightning surging through our hands.

Nothing will ever be the same.

Nothing.

RowdyScot
2011-08-15, 02:23
So we are actually getting the non-destroyed world back, right? Right? Tried to log in 2 or 3 times now to work on some stuff.

turtle
2011-08-15, 18:49
Well, we do have backups to revert to is need be. :p We thought you all wanted a challenge. ;)

2011-08-15, 18:50
Um... same with me. Logged in earlier today and couldn't figure out where in the fuck I was. Blowed-up versions of previous landmarks finally led me to realize I was at a hell version of spawn.

Fix plz?

drewprops
2011-08-15, 19:13
Can we play killzone for one more night??

turtle
2011-08-15, 22:21
"Final" maps are up for the Manhunt. Enjoy the view of carnage. I'll update the map later back to our normal world in a few days. Enjoy the fun we had. :)

SpecMode
2011-08-15, 22:33
I love how both Old Towne and Drew's place are almost completely leveled, but the bridge between them is completely untouched.

Also, how there were still some undetonated TNT blocks left up in the Rink of Pain's roof.

turtle
2011-09-05, 12:38
Maps are updated again. I made some changes so now you get two views. Up at a bearing of 45 and up bearing 315. I'm likely going to keep this way of doing things for the time being too, however going to see what I can do to keep this map visible after the world is replaced and we start over....

since it seems that's what is going to happen at this point.

turtle
2011-09-18, 13:10
Maps are up with the new world. I still have the others saved and might move them to Lenny, but for now it has our new desert home. :)

Brad
2011-09-18, 13:51
Pssst... I think you need to update the texture pack on the map-generating server. New blocks like mushrooms and stone bricks are invisible. :)

edit: Or perhaps Tectonicus itself needs an update to map the new block IDs.

turtle
2011-09-18, 13:52
That's the problem! Thanks. I was working to figure that one out. :rolleyes:

Really, thank you.

Edit: something changed with the new one because it's pulling from the right texture pack but still not showing the new stuff. I hope the developer for this comes back around.

turtle
2011-09-22, 22:43
With the new updates and new map, I have posted the final update to the 1.8 map.

drewprops
2011-09-23, 01:26
Look at the bottom of the 1.8 map to see Piggsburgh.
Wasn't that a LOVELY location for a town?

FAR better than Bruce's stinking sea village.

billybobsky
2011-09-23, 01:46
One thing is clear: these worlds are going to be much bigger than they were before -- the biomes have a tendency of pushing people to explore their edges. We're approximately 2km from spawn in the new map already.

I also fear that the aggressive pruning procedure might need to get modified to exclude all sorts of materials that are now generated in the map -- perhaps every normal world home needs a bit of netherack?

turtle
2011-09-23, 21:22
For those interested in looking over Sedona's map:
http://mc.applenova.com/sedona/

Old Bridgeport maps:
http://mc.applenova.com/bridgeport/

Both of these "archive" maps are on Lenny. Please think of this when viewing them, it could take resources from the game, though not likely to be an issue. I just wanted to be sure everyone thought of that.

Now, that being said, our main map is now running the Pre 1.9 map Lenny is running now. It's not live just yet, running it now though. Should be done before morning. Enjoy!

Bryson
2011-09-27, 15:50
Weird: The maps now display some but not all of the new blocks. For example: Stone Brick works, but gates don't. Netherblock doesnt work, but melons do. Very odd.

Also, the secondary view is rotated 90 degrees from the main view - shouldn't it be 180? I cant see the front of my house on either view.

turtle
2011-09-27, 22:24
I can change it to be 180. Good call! I'll make that change right after I finish posting on here for the night.

Also, the new 1.9 blocks are not in the map generator yet. It's not going to be until after the 1.9 is actually released either it seems.

Any other ideas for me?

Bryson
2011-09-27, 23:52
Weren't gates from 1.8? Or did I dream that?

Brad
2011-09-28, 00:09
Weren't gates from 1.8? Or did I dream that?
Fence gates were in beta 1.8. The various nether brick materials are new to beta 1.9.

turtle
2011-09-28, 19:06
Turns out there was a specific message that stated gates don't work right now because of how they operate. Fix is in the works though, as well as some other things we don't need to worry about.

2011-10-24, 19:31
*grumble*

turtle
2011-10-24, 21:12
Work faster! :p

turtle
2011-11-11, 20:21
So....

Seems the rapid expansion recently caused the map data to go to large and filled my server's drive to 100%. If you've not working with this before, it's not good.

Thankfully I was able to SSH in and "rm -rf /" it all away. ;)

Ok, not really but I did SSH in an delete the maps and reconfigure the map generation to only be one direction again. 32GB for maps is a bit much.

Brad
2011-11-11, 20:35
I think I suggested this before... can you cut out the closest zoom level? That should eliminate a good chunk of the disk usage (and bandwidth to push the updates).

If you've not working with this before, it's not good.
Oh yes, that's fun. :) In general, some of the first things I check when a server seems to go belly-up:

uptime = is it under heavy load?
free -m = is all the RAM used up?
df -h = is the disk full?
touch /tmp/foo = is the filesystem writable?

turtle
2011-11-11, 20:47
I think I suggested this before... can you cut out the closest zoom level? That should eliminate a good chunk of the disk usage (and bandwidth to push the updates).

Oh yes, that's fun. :) In general, some of the first things I check when a server seems to go belly-up:

uptime = is it under heavy load?
free -m = is all the RAM used up?
df -h = is the disk full?
touch /tmp/foo = is the filesystem writable?

I did cut down the number of zooms, guess I can get one or too more close zooms. Have you seen the expansion? I was actually shocked at the "growth" of the world. Not that I mind, but wasn't expecting it.

Yep, use those all the time now too. Not the touch, but I'll add that one.

Brad
2011-11-11, 20:52
Have you seen the expansion? I was actually shocked at the "growth" of the world. Not that I mind, but wasn't expecting it.
Holy crap. Not until now.

Uh... and now that that prompted me to check, we're at 95% capacity on the RAM disk. Looks like I need to prune the branches.

Brad
2011-11-11, 20:54
Yep, use those all the time now too. Not the touch, but I'll add that one.
At work, I do a lot of work with VMs and network filesystem mounts. Checking if the filesystem is writable is much more useful in that kind of environment as opposed to having a physical disk attached, but it's a good sanity check anyway.

billybobsky
2011-11-11, 22:40
There seems to be at least one rogue explorer (some of the new people, perhaps?)...

This world was bound to get big given the fact that loch greene is so far from spawn.

Brad
2011-11-12, 00:35
I'm about to shut down the server briefly to trim the world. The red area highlights what I'm cutting out (113 MB).

http://i.imgur.com/b28FS.jpg

edit: Done!

turtle
2011-11-12, 09:27
Guess I'll see about doing a new smaller map too. :D After work today though.

Elysium
2011-11-12, 12:24
There seems to be at least one rogue explorer (some of the new people, perhaps?)...

This world was bound to get big given the fact that loch greene is so far from spawn.

The snow biome mess is my exploration. I figured that since this world was toast soon I would try and see how big and what types of terrain would be generated in these environments. Better than abusing the new world after all. My bad I guess. :\

BTW you may have to trim a little bit to the south again as I did have to walk out after all. :)

turtle
2011-11-12, 19:02
We could just kill your player data and make you start at spawn. ;) :p

Bryson
2011-11-12, 19:46
That snow biome is/was Huge! I hope we find an equally large one in the New World.

turtle
2011-11-19, 00:34
For those interested in looking over Sedona's map:

Old Bridgeport maps:

Both of these "archive" maps are on Lenny. Please think of this when viewing them, it could take resources from the game, though not likely to be an issue. I just wanted to be sure everyone thought of that.

Now, that being said, our main map is now running the Pre 1.9 map Lenny is running now. It's not live just yet, running it now though. Should be done before morning. Enjoy!

And add to the list now, Loch Greene's map:
http://mc.applenova.com/lochgreene/

Also, I've got our new map loaded and ready. :)

Bryson
2011-11-22, 16:52
Not sure if we have to wait for Tectonicus to be fixed or if it's easier than this, but: Since Notch changed NSEW, the indicator on the map has West labelled as North (and so on).

turtle
2011-11-23, 11:20
It's something we are going to have to wait on. I'll post a message about it in the forum on that and see what we end up with.

turtle
2011-11-25, 14:06
I added a new layer to the map: Overhead view. This will make it easier for screen capturing sections and such.

I'm likely going to move it to the 3rd layer rather than the first, but wanted it up front off the start so you guys could see it.

I've asked about the compass and if that will be updated and will post back once I get feedback.

Also, If you guys have any other feedback or request about the maps, let me know and we'll see if there is anything else we can do to make these maps better for us all. :)

Once I have confirmation about the server setup and we are stable with this world I will be setting up cron jobs to completely automate the map making process. I'm currently looking into setting the process to run the player positions every hour or maybe even half hour if I can without over taxing the server. This is a pet project, but hope I can do this during my Christmas break at school.

drewprops
2011-11-29, 11:10
Has anybody asked for a map of the Nether yet?

turtle
2011-11-29, 11:11

Yes.

No.

drewprops
2011-11-29, 11:13
Okay :(

Hey, Dellphi isn't showing up on the map, btw. Do you have him in your system thingy?

(and have a good day, eh?)

turtle
2011-11-29, 11:15
Hm.... I'll check to see if he's listed in my map's white-list.

See, the thing about Nether maps are that they are worthless. If you stand in nether you see there are blocks all around you. These get rendered covering everything you might want to see. So, while I wouldn't mind doing it, it's really a waste of disk space.

Turns out Dellphi wasn't on my copy of the white-list. He is now. :) I'll go ahead and make a new map too!

drewprops
2011-11-29, 11:34
PLEASE send him some ducks!!!!

Brad
2011-11-29, 11:47

Overhead-view maps of the nether don't work because the nether is all effectively "underground". There's always a ceiling above. So, the map would look like one solid block.

turtle
2011-11-30, 10:53
So, with the help of chucker I have been able to fully automate the process of map making. It will run 4 times a day doing a full update. So feel free to check back regularly.

Any request about changes to be made in the map? I hid players, beds and signs by default since it was starting to really clutter up the place. Just click the button and you can see them again. :)

turtle
2011-12-01, 01:07
So....

Seems this latest round of exploring has forced me to make some changes with the map and take it offline while I get the size worked out again.

I read a comment by one guy saying switch from PNG to JPG and so I am. Also cutting to .75 compression from 1. Let's see what happens.

drewprops
2011-12-01, 01:09
Jeepers, man.
Okay, go ahead. You have my permission.

Bryson
2011-12-02, 01:55
Wow, the map really grew. What size is the "world" now, in GB? Are we ever going to push the edges of the SSD?

And still no snow. 3 villages, though.

turtle
2011-12-02, 01:59
Total world data (Nether, The End, etc..) 378M. Not bad really given the growth. Some of that is also world files for the other worlds we used to have that are stored on the drive too so Brad can move the buildings over for us too.

So will we ever reach the capacity of the SSD? Well, Bill Gates said we would never need more then 640k....

drewprops
2011-12-02, 08:59
LOLOLOL

Dammit!!! I told Dellphi I wanted to go WEST of Spawn.... which is DOWN on the map. He started going that way and I joined him when I got home. Now I see that we were going UP on the map!!! Well shit!! I have to see if he was having a little joke on me or was actually confused....

Edit: I just noticed he marked his last stop as "Wrong Way".
I suppose that means that he figured it out?

billybobsky
2011-12-02, 09:24
Uh. Can we not do whatever it is we are doing to make the map so freaking huge?

Brad
2011-12-02, 10:13
Uh. Can we not do whatever it is we are doing to make the map so freaking huge?

This please. Sure, we have a nice big SSD, but a multi-hundred MB map is going to be a nightmare for me to maintain off-site backups. It also means the backup script locally is going to take longer to run, as well as raising other potentially unforeseen resource issues.

Do people actually plan to move their homes out to some remote corner kilometers away… just because we "can"?

drewprops
2011-12-02, 10:50
Sorry, I seriously had no idea how far we'd gone. Please lop off the northerly excursion. Mea Culpepper :(

Edit: stupid auto erect

Edit2: giving up now

billybobsky
2011-12-02, 10:54
auto erect!

LOL

SpecMode
2011-12-02, 14:04
Mea Culpepper :(

We need to start a running list of these Drew-isms. Great stuff. :D

RowdyScot
2011-12-02, 16:59
Mea Culpepper :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

turtle
2011-12-02, 19:41
The awesome part is we don't need to expand. The big thing I've been doing is looking for snow. I think I might put the world on my computer and look for it there. Then we can set up a portal to it or something.

Also: Maps are fully automated now.

I have the script run every 6 hours to update the map. This makes map updates much smaller now too.

I also tweaked the setting from PNG images to JPG at 75% and this has really helped a lot with size. Total map with all 6 layers it is only 6.62GB! :eek:

Please let me know if you have any other changes you'd like to see on the maps and I'll see what I can do. Also, I've started to see about getting the map generator developer to adjust North and such to match Notch's comments and change in orbit. We'll see what happens with that.

Brad
2011-12-02, 20:24
Bear in mind that searching for snow might be fruitless. I believe the seed algorithm allows for snowless worlds, and given the wide search we've already seen...

turtle
2011-12-02, 20:26
Well Boo!

Guess I'll set it up with a terrain generator and let it to it all by itself then. :p

drewprops
2011-12-03, 01:30
I would, at this point, like to say that I'm not really a fan of this world.

There. That feels better.

Bryson
2011-12-03, 02:47
Um, yeah, that. I really like my house, but the whole world, not so much. The fact that there might be no snow at all is a big freakin' deal, IMO.

I think the spawn moving weirdness was at least partially to blame.

drewprops
2011-12-03, 08:53
It's not just that... I don't know what it is. This time around there's no place that feels like a cool settlement. Unlike last time we decided to stick around Spawn, and theres's such a jumble of disparate settlements there now. The cake didn't seem to bake as nicely this time. :(

billybobsky
2011-12-03, 12:20
Just wait... It took time last time for the settlement to build up. It felt scattered in BP originally....

turtle
2011-12-03, 14:12
Yeah, I remember when we made the push to build up BP a while ago. Most of us had our own "camps" and went from there. Then we centralized and had our camps.

2011-12-03, 16:38
It feels a little bit broken right now, but I think that's mostly the fault of the abrupt Spawn displacement. Now we have two settlements at a time where there really should only be one central one with a few outlying posts. Though, it's still way early in our world, and I suspect that the 2 cities will eventually be joined along the coastline. They're not that far away from each other:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2vrxyld.jpg

The feel of the 2 are very different too, which is a good thing imo. New Spawn feels more like a place I'd put a cottage ala Loch Greene, where Old Spawn feels like it could turn into a new Bridgeport.

Plus, we're really only getting started on community infrastructure. Eventually there will be roads and subways (and possibly skywalks?) connecting the two areas together. The mob trap is key, and now there's a comm exchange, so maybe the next thing that needs to be built in that area is a subway station. I think the skywalks helped expansion and pulled the areas together in BP immensely, so once we get the subway going I can see a little more cohesiveness happening.

I don't really believe we have a world without snow, though it looks like it's a ways away. I'd suggest to those who really want to build in a snowy biome to load the world up in creative mode (seed: 1664852336) and do some exploration without bloating our SMP world. Once we have coords we can built a path in the Nether, but make it clear that connecting the area in the overworld is a no-no.

billybobsky
2011-12-03, 16:54
3675 y 102

done

Elysium
2011-12-03, 17:04
Plus, we're really only getting started on community infrastructure. Eventually there will be roads and subways (and possibly skywalks?) connecting the two areas together. The mob trap is key, and now there's a comm exchange, so maybe the next thing that needs to be built in that area is a subway station. I think the skywalks helped expansion and pulled the areas together in BP immensely, so once we get the subway going I can see a little more cohesiveness happening.

Exactly.

I don't really believe we have a world without snow, though it looks like it's a ways away. I'd suggest to those who really want to build in a snowy biome to load the world up in creative mode (seed: 1664852336) and do some exploration without bloating our SMP world. Once we have coords we can built a path in the Nether, but make it clear that connecting the area in the overworld is a no-no.

I've been mucking around doing just this on my machine. The world bloat is out of control to try and find the snow 5000 light years away from everything else. Hopefully we can find some, but I'm resigned to the fact that we may not have it.

I secretly holding out for the longshot of some smart guy to develop a world edit function that allows for the complete cloning of chunks with biome data from one map to the next. Then we can pull snowy regions from BP and drop them in a largely useless expanse of ocean near the settlements we have. :)

turtle
2011-12-03, 23:33
3675 y 102

done
http://turtle2472.com/an/snowbiome.png
Yep, there's snow there. I'm right now running a world gen tool with our world from the server generating the world from -4000 -4000 to 4000 4000 and will post a map for everyone to look over. Taking a while to force the chunks to generate but I will get it posted once it's done. It will be a top down overview map with no flags autodisplayed.

So If you all want to wait until the map is posted then you can make a plan for how to access the snow biome I'm thinking this would be best for all. However, I'm ok with you guys playing as you wish about this. Nether as the access isn't bad, though the map is coming to allow you to plan it out.

SpecMode
2011-12-04, 00:18
I'm thinking the Nether would probably be the best idea - shortest transit distance, plus the server wouldn't need to generate everything in the overworld between our current settlements and the local portal, keeping map size reasonable.

turtle
2012-01-15, 21:41
I've just updated the map to a new release from the developer. This update brings the compass to point "true north" now. It's rendering now and should be up once the render is complete. Likely this will be around 10:30 pm Eastern.

Robo
2012-01-15, 21:52
I've just updated the map to a new release from the developer. This update brings the compass to point "true north" now. It's rendering now and should be up once the render is complete. Likely this will be around 10:30 pm Eastern.

:O

So map north and game north are the same now? Sweet! :D

turtle
2012-01-15, 21:59
Well be. If you look at the map right now the compass will point to the left while the image actually maps the world to the path of the sun/moon from East to West.

Crap, I think I just missed a setting when I started this render. :\ Might have to re-render the map again after this one finishes. I didn't think how it might impact the angle of the map, I was just thinking of the compass. :grumble:

turtle
2012-01-15, 23:33
So the maps are working great with the new update and even display with the correct orientation. However, the coloring is totally different right now so I'm removing the current map and rendering a whole new map. Let's see how this works.

turtle
2012-03-05, 22:07
Final map for TerraNova is up on Lenny. Please view with discretion as it is on the game server.

TerraNova
http://mc.applenova.com/terranova/

For easy roundup of old maps:

Bridgeport maps:

Sedona's map:

Loch Greene's map:
http://mc.applenova.com/lochgreene/

Brad
2012-03-08, 01:13
I took a few minutes to experiment with some map tools tonight, looking for something good that's compatible with the new Anvil world format. If you don't mind the poison-black waters, this looks promising...

http://i.imgur.com/PELTq.jpg

drewprops
2012-03-08, 09:27
I followed that link and it TOTALLY didn't work!!!

2012-03-08, 10:26
slanthaus slant is deceiving

Elysium
2012-03-14, 09:46
I think all of us would benefit from a new map to find where everyone is and land claims.

It's not perfect, but could we as an interim go with Brad's option or the now Anvil compliant Overviewer (http://docs.overviewer.org/en/latest/index.html) (Example (http://maps.myminecraft.org/#/-1196/64/268/-7/0/1)).

Brad
2012-03-14, 09:55
Overviewer is exactly what I used in my example screenshot.

turtle
2012-03-14, 20:24
I'm working on a map using Overviewer now. I'll post if it gets done tonight but not expecting it will. I'm dealing with other stuff right now, but making this happen for you guys.

turtle
2012-03-14, 22:28
Map is up at the usual location. Enjoy.

turtle
2012-03-16, 20:41
FYI, not looking good for the original map program I was using. Seems the coders is done playing though *might* do an Anvil update. So I'm going to look more into Overviewer. For now I'm using it but manually running it every night. Well, most every night. I'll build a script for it and study the config file to make some customizations more like we like it. Really looking to get an overhead view we all like.

New maps as of the 6pm backup are up too BTW.

turtle
2012-03-17, 21:29
Trying two directions and a night mode now with the new map program. Sad part is I'm using the PC version because it's easier to get running. I'll figure out getting it running on my Mac or in a Linux VM later so I can automate it again.

Really, I'm holding out hoping the guy who wrote the one we were using comes back and updates for Anvil. Plus, I got a lot going on right now. Check later tonight for two directions plus night.

drewprops
2012-03-17, 22:05
Thank you Turtle - even though you've got stuff going on, you're nice enough to output these for us :)

turtle
2012-03-17, 23:48
Thanks Drew.

New maps are up but permissions need fixing. By the time most of you see this it will have been done. Enjoy and good night.

turtle
2012-03-23, 20:24
So, it looks like I might be able to do Points of Interest with this map program. From what I'm reading we can use one symbol and in a certain line. I'm thinking we should use ~ and only from the first line of the sign.

What are the thoughts of everyone who uses them? What symbol would you ilk me to try using and which line would you like the be the line parsed for being converted to a POI?

turtle
2012-04-01, 13:59
I have a plea for you guys: Please do not travel in Nether and pop up a portal at random. As you can see from the map there are an odd number of areas where the world has just popped up.

I'm currently narrowing down those chunks and pruning, but please be sure you wan't putting a portal up in Nether unless you've counted out where it's going to lead.

Bryson
2012-04-01, 14:08
Are you sure that was due to nether portals? It seems like the chunks generated are too small. (And too numerous, to boot.)

Could it be a weird side effect of the compass warping?

turtle
2012-04-01, 14:09
I'm not sure, but aside from a bug or portal, can't really explain how it would happen. Still, not likely due to compass warping since you can't warp to anywhere you can't see with it.

turtle
2012-04-01, 14:29
Just FYI, I'm about to prune any chunk that is only 12k-16k in size. Most chunks are 1-5M in size for comparison's sake. This is likely going to effect no one. I will keep the files though, just moving them out of the world so they won't be there. If you have something on the edge of our known world and it's now gone after I finish this, let me know and we can find it to put it back.

2012-04-01, 14:38
Pretty sure it's a bug. There are no portals on any of the areas that popped up, and as Bryson says, they're far too small to be player-made.

Elysium
2012-04-01, 14:43
Definitely a bug (https://github.com/overviewer/Minecraft-Overviewer/issues/641).

turtle
2012-04-01, 15:29
So glad it's a bug. At least we know why it's happening. :D

drewprops
2012-04-01, 19:13
I didn't think you could make a new portal to the overworld from the nether anyway!!??

turtle
2012-04-02, 08:15
FYI, the pruning seems to have worked as I hoped it would. Nothing seems to be missing but the odd chunks. Enjoy the map!

turtle
2012-04-08, 20:00
Changing things up with my systems making the maps has caused me to have to run the maps completely over again. Taking forever. Lots of expansion East though. How about going West more. :p

Bryson
2012-04-09, 13:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBjMRvOB5M&t=1m6s

Robo
2012-04-09, 14:39
Once we exhaust the remainder of the desert north and south of town center — which, if we keep growing at the rate we did last weekend, will happen surprisingly soon! :eek: — I think heading west makes sense. There's a huge, wide-open plain near my sheep farm and Brad's mansion, and there's a big deserty island that's also empty right next to it. And the lilypad bridge I made makes it much easier to get out that way, on non-creative days. :)

Any chance for a map update soon? I wanna see all the new things! Like the huge museum. And the lighthouse. And the huge museum.

Brad
2012-04-09, 15:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBjMRvOB5M&t=1m6s

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
Sorry about that.
Fucking copyright police.

Brad
2012-04-09, 15:33
Any chance for a map update soon? I wanna see all the new things! Like the huge museum. And the lighthouse. And the huge museum.
I might take a crack at making a static map.

billybobsky
2012-04-09, 16:44
Fucking copyright police.
It wasn't worth it (sorry Bryson).

Bryson
2012-04-09, 16:52
I thought it was pretty funny actually...

billybobsky
2012-04-09, 17:10
I have no doubt you did.

turtle
2012-04-09, 17:39

Working on this right now. Should be able to have it updated in the next half hour or so.
I might take a crack at making a static map.

I was looking for something to make a static overhead view but couldn't find anything when I last looked. Anvil isn't very fast adopted for these tools. If you find a good one let me know and I'll do it. I have all versions of OS to do it on.

Brad
2012-04-09, 18:21
Sorry for the delays. Ran some errands earlier.

Holy crap. Turtle wasn't kidding. Who did this eastward expansion? :err:

http://i.imgur.com/Zk0NH.jpg

Also, town:

http://i.imgur.com/2DPaz.jpg

edit: Looks like mcmaps.applenova.com has finished updating too.

turtle
2012-04-09, 18:39
Yep, just finished updating completely. Enjoy!

If you look north of the Theater you can see the entrance to the train to the East.
http://turtle2472.com/an/town120409.png

Elysium
2012-04-09, 20:19
I see that the Dragonship from BP has made a surprise appearance. :D

Robo
2012-04-09, 23:08
Ooh! That must be one of the secret NON-RELIGIOUS EASTER EGGS Brad hid on the map before Easter. :D

At first we thought the giant monolith was one, but it turns out that Bruce just built it really quick in the dark of night.

billybobsky
2012-04-10, 01:15
Elyisum: It might be a good idea sooner than later to specify your plot in town with roads or whatnot.

Bryson
2012-04-10, 13:13
yeah - Ely's place needs some "landscape" around it to work effectively IMO.

I spent ages looking for the Sea Monster from Loch Greene until I realised that wasn't what was meant by "Dragon Ship". That should totally come over and touch down near Monster Island, though. ;)

Elysium
2012-04-10, 17:20
Elyisum: It might be a good idea sooner than later to specify your plot in town with roads or whatnot.

yeah - Ely's place needs some "landscape" around it to work effectively IMO.

I'll work on it tonight.

turtle
2012-04-10, 18:41
I still haven't found the ship but I did find my creeper head!

Edit: just found the ship!

So anyone mind if I kill off the massive trip East? Also wanting to kill off the one long stretch heading north in the snow.

Any objections?

Brad
2012-04-10, 20:51
Kill 'em.

ThunderPoit
2012-04-10, 22:39
Nuke from orbit. Only way to be sure.

Bryson
2012-04-11, 14:41
Turtle: Am I correct in thinking that the maps have to be run manually these days?

I think you can safely nuke the extensions. I kind of like that the North appears to be an endless snow biome - even though I know it can't really be, it seems "right".

turtle
2012-04-11, 16:17
You are correct that as of now I'm having to run it manually. Since Beast is having an issue right now I haven't been able to get python compiled on it and the other stuff needed to make Overviewer run on it yet. So..... I have a PC VM running on it that runs Overviewer and I rsync it over to my server.

I'm trimming now, I'll post once I do it. However I'm still working on this so it will be a bit before I finish it as I'm working on multiple things right now.

turtle
2012-04-11, 18:47
Prune completed with a backup before I ran it. Maps are going to take a bit to rerun since I killed so much. If needed Brad, pre-prune is 20120411.1933.

turtle
2012-04-11, 21:13
Newest map is up with prune completed. Enjoy!

Bryson
2012-04-12, 23:54
So, I started going round and adding names to streets. I'm not particularly attached to many of them so if any I've added don't work, then I'm open to changing them. Take a look and let me know if there's a problem.

And: if it's not yet named, feel free to go ahead and write on the sign. My only ask is that you walk the length of the street and update ALL the signs on that road, so we don't end up with one street, two names.

2012-04-13, 14:48
I like the idea of street names, Bryson, a lot. :)

I'd like to suggest one small tweak though - instead of two free-standing signs on the corner of a street, how about something like this?:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/streetsign.jpg

Gives it more of a street-signey feel, imo. Just putting that out there for input.

Also, I'm not sure that Museum Avenue warrants that whole long strip. Maybe switch names at Main Street, or even at the bridge.

Nicely done though. This world is really coming together nicely, and is starting to feel like a real home again. :)

Bryson
2012-04-13, 15:15
I like that a lot.

We debated Museum Avenue as a name. I kind of feel that the same road shouldn't change names halfway down, but if we can agree on a better name I'm cool with that.

2012-04-13, 15:25
Cool. :)

Maybe Museum Ave can be Division Ave (because every city (at least in the US) has a Division Ave that intersects with *the* main street :D) and it can change to Museum Ave after it crosses the bridge to the museum area. I think there's precedent for that. Museum Ave would just be a single strip in front of the main entrance. It will *eventually* lead to something else ;) but that's a different build for another time.

Bryson
2012-04-16, 11:28
So, the weird "island" on the map was me. Well, sort of.

I rode a minecart in the nether and then went through the portal there - and that's where I popped out. I don't know who built the cart or the portal, though.

delphi
2012-04-16, 11:47
I've been playing around in the Nether. Building rails and building portals in the Nether just to see what happens. I was surprised to see a matching portal was made in the overworld when I built the portal in the Nether.

turtle
2012-04-16, 16:11
I've been playing around in the Nether. Building rails and building portals in the Nether just to see what happens. I was surprised to see a matching portal was made in the overworld when I built the portal in the Nether.

Yes, unless you build the portal in Nether near a current portal. So I take it I'm good to cut out this chunk again? Also, before I do this, please take down the portal in Nether so it doesn't just come back.

Bryson
2012-04-16, 16:42
There's absolutely nothing there. In fact, I got healthily lost as there's nothing man-made and had to commit suicide to get back to civilisation. So yeah, prune it.

turtle
2012-04-16, 16:54
Will do. Thanks.

Edit: Shrinking the map now.

billybobsky
2012-04-17, 05:27
Yeah... Don't do that.

delphi
2012-04-17, 06:11
Just exploring and having fun! Oh! don't explore too much.

turtle
2012-04-17, 06:18
Explore, just don't pop up from Nether. :p

turtle
2012-04-21, 11:50
I'm going to be changing DNS providers in the near future for my domain. This may impact your access to the Maps. I'm pretty sure it won't impact the server but wanted to make sure everyone knew.

Since the weekend is some of the highest usage, I won't be making the change until late Sunday or Monday. I've set my current records for a 1 hour TTL so the worst case is you would have to wait an hour and try again.

Short version: Maintenance in the near future. Possible 1 hour outage.

turtle
2012-04-21, 22:31
Good news, looks like I'm going to be able to automate the map gen process again. :D The developer open sourced it so we are now at 2.10v. I'm running the first render now so lets see how this goes!

turtle
2012-04-22, 10:37
New maps are up with OVERHEAD view again! :D

Ok, so the first map didn't process right, I'm rerunning it to repair now. Automation is coming back. :)

drewprops
2012-04-22, 19:17
Is the reason not to pop up from the Nether to keep the map from getting big and unwieldy? Or is it a processor thingy?

Bryson
2012-04-22, 19:26
Good news on the automation! :)

Weird map bug: it renders upside-down wood slabs as other way up stone slabs:

http://www.thefrankishes.com/brysonpics/platform.jpg

SpecMode
2012-04-22, 19:47
"Good" to see that the glowstone lighting bugs are carrying over to the map renders: take a look at the top of the museum complex in night view mode.

turtle
2012-04-22, 20:37
Is the reason not to pop up from the Nether to keep the map from getting big and unwieldy? Or is it a processor thingy?

Map management. The processor and SSD can handle it with no problem. We aren't even really scratching the surface of abilities there on most nights. It's making the map unwieldy that is the concern.

That is an interesting bug with the half steps, I'll have to see if I can get a bug report on that one. Since the code is open source now, maybe that can get fixed faster.

Elysium
2012-04-23, 13:59
I see that someone went on a massive pleasure jaunt to the south.

Some interesting new structures way to the west and north too.

drewprops
2012-04-23, 21:37
It kind of looks like a Klingon Bird of Prey!!!

Or a penis :(

2012-04-23, 22:21
I see that someone went on a massive pleasure jaunt to the south.I thought that the last massive land extension had to be compass warp assisted. Now I'm sure.

That thing is like crack.

(wasn't me, btw) :D

[edit]: Err, apparently not compass warp, looking at the new map.

turtle
2012-04-24, 17:00
Sonic is running wild. Hope he found some gold rings. :p

On a great note, bug fixes are out:
- changed slabs, wooden planks, wood/log, leaves and saplings to use id:data in block config xml
- added upside down slabs and stairs
- added Jungle wood/leaf type
- added leaves color option to block config xml (overrides any calc'd biome colors, set color="" to use old calculation instead)
- added sandstone variants
- added round stone bricks
- fixed stairs side texture orientation (and maybe a few other blocks)

The map is currently running it's 4pm (soon to move to 3pm) but once it runs I'll update to the newest version and have that map up.

Since 709 asked in the game I figured I'd post it here. With the automated process I have it set to run every 6 hours. As of right now it is set to run at 0400, 1000, 1600, 2200. I am going to be adjusting that though to 0300, 0900, 1500, 2100.

Also, now we can use the signs as we always have. If you look at the first post you will see the guide on how to do so.

billybobsky
2012-04-24, 17:34
sonic should reign it in...

perhaps a warning is in order for the newer folks...

2012-04-24, 18:33
Or we could just set boundaries until that space is filled, like 2000 (or whatever) blocks away from spawn is the Forbidden Zone - and everything and one past that zone will be trimmed.

I don't understand the need to be that far out, honestly. It's not like you're going to find anything other than what you could find within a ~2K block radius. Mooshrooms excluded.

Bryson
2012-04-24, 19:19
I'm not sure we need a "warning" - the reason we invested in the SSD was so this wouldn't become an issue.

But pruning excess exploration is a good idea to keep the map usable.

I assumed the latest exploration was a quest for mooshrooms.

SpecMode
2012-04-24, 20:07
Creative Weekend project idea: DIY mushroom biome. Compared to some of the stuff y'all come up with, this should be ridiculously easy to throw together.

Bryson
2012-04-24, 21:04
I like it! I nominate this island for mushroomification:

http://www.thefrankishes.com/brysonpics/island.jpg

Anyone had plans for it?

turtle
2012-04-24, 21:50
The thing is it will still spawn baddies if not lit up. True biome is baddie free.

Fact is the map can be expanded and won't be an issue since we do have the SSD. The chunks not used will not impact game play. It will just make this map larger.

The more I think about it the less I actually care about the map size since we are on the SSD. However, since this is the map thread, my concern is render time. I would have to move to a 12 hours render time as opposed to the current 6 hour slot.

2012-04-25, 13:40
I noticed an unlabeled Steve on the map camping out North a few days ago and thought it was just a glitch, but apparently it's alive:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/CTherobrine.jpg

Ghost Steve? Herobrine? :eek: wtf?

turtle
2012-04-25, 17:34
Interesting, I'll see what I can find about it.

Also, I've made a copy of our map that is 8000x8000 and no mushroom biome. I'm currently making a map that is 16000x16000 in search of one. I'll post it in overview mode on Lenny once it completes. Going to take a long time. Don't skip dinner or anything waiting. ;)

Bryson
2012-04-25, 17:44
Herobrine, fo' sho.

That museum sure is spooky at night.

Brad
2012-04-25, 18:23
The thing is it will still spawn baddies if not lit up. True biome is baddie free.
I may be able to help with that... note that the parks in town have little green pockets of not-desert biome in them.

turtle
2012-04-25, 18:48
I may be able to help with that... note that the parks in town have little green pockets of not-desert biome in them.

I thought I saw this when looking through the server files... :D

I'm still on the hunt for the "natural biome" if I can. Personally I think it would be awesome to have mushroom biome closer to home for everyone. Train station and portal even on there.

turtle
2012-04-26, 06:25
FYI, a 16000 x 16000 block world is 6.37GB. I am running the overview map of it right now and will hopefully be able to put it up on Lenny after work today.....if it's done rendering by then. :p

Brad
2012-04-28, 05:50
I like it! I nominate this island for mushroomification:

http://www.thefrankishes.com/brysonpics/island.jpg

Anyone had plans for it?

No objections posted. DONE.

turtle
2012-04-28, 12:39
No objections posted. DONE.

So with this new change I'm going to run through hand remove the torches and put a portal in there. Might eventually put a train terminal too. :)

Torches can stay in caves and underground, but no need to torches on the surface. It's a baddie free zone.

Brad
2012-04-28, 12:40
By the way, here's a birds-eye-view of the result until the map updates.

http://i.imgur.com/2ScEg.png

Taken before any torches were removed.

2012-04-28, 12:49
So with this new change I'm going to run through hand remove the torches and put a portal in there. Might eventually put a train terminal too. :)Portal/train terminal might be nicer inside the large cave than on the surface. Thoughts? :)

turtle
2012-04-28, 13:01
Portal/train terminal might be nicer inside the large cave than on the surface. Thoughts? :)

Absolutely! Nothing on the surface that isn't natural. The portal is up in a cave but not lined up in Nether. I need to run so if someone puts it up in Nether before I get back the coordinates for the one topside is 857 66 1251.

One thing I did do was put torches inside the red mushrooms. Not sure I like it, we can remove them if people want, it just was a way to add very mild light to the island at night. Not really needed though.

turtle
2012-04-29, 10:49
If you are unable to get the maps to pull up right now, please use this URL instead for the mean time:

http://maps.turtle2472.com

I have made changes to my DNS so this might have broken the current URL.

turtle
2012-05-12, 11:50
For those of you who are wanting to look all over the world, I give you 16000 x 16000 blocks of a map:

http://mc.applenova.com/overview

The finishing sync is in progress so you may need to refresh to see the completed edges later. However, you can see we do have natural mushroom islands, they are all just way out there.

2012-05-12, 21:18
Very cool T. Thanks for crunching that. :)

After scouring it a bit I think I may move my temp 'tard tower markers for 13topia over to the western sea. I really wanted it to have no land in sight, and that area is still close enough to town to be OK. Plus, it'll give me a little room for expansion, if I go that route. That is a while off though. ;)

2012-05-25, 23:01
Just an observation here, but it seems like 5 times out of 8 when I try pulling up the map it's in update mode. From what I've gleaned from T it refreshes 4 times per 24 hr cycle. Can we cut that down to 2 per cycle?

I'm not sure what the optimal time would be, but maybe 3 and 3? Late-night and before leaving work? I dunno.

turtle
2012-05-25, 23:29
I'm open to this. Anyone else have an opinion one way or the other? If no one speaks up for it staying every 6 hours then I'll shift to 12.

SpecMode
2012-05-26, 00:13
I'm cool with a 12-hour update cycle.

2012-05-30, 09:16
oooh. I see we have a bullion repository now. :)

I'm out of town for one more week, and then I plan on making up lost build time with a vengeance. :D

delphi
2012-05-30, 11:28
Yes. Updating the map twice a day will be fine

Brad
2012-05-30, 17:00
oooh. I see we have a bullion repository now. :)

That would be mine! ;) I was going to post about it when it's finished. What you see is Fort Knox built as close to real-life as possible based on exterior shots (with an interior inspired by Goldfinger). I still have some work to do on the lobby, need to pave the encircling driveway, and need to put up the fence, but the bulk of the work is done.

Also, I took the liberty of extending the westward skyway and building two off-ramps. I may extend it further…

I'm out of town for one more week, and then I plan on making up lost build time with a vengeance. :D

Good! The server has been a bit of a ghost town lately. I've been on few nights lately digging out the Knox cave, and most of it has been in the quiet.

RowdyScot
2012-05-31, 12:44
I'm hoping to be on a bit more after next week. Between work and all the planning for Pride festivals with work and away from work, I've been swamped.

billybobsky
2012-05-31, 17:08
Sorry guys... i've been getting home after 9 pm and haven't had weekends free for weeks. this combined with the fact that i need to be up by 6 or 6:30 most days just to get in to work means no time for relaxing let alone minecraft.

it is a good thing that i enjoy doing science as much as i do, otherwise the lack of breaks would make me crack.... who am i kidding? i've already started talking to myself (and sing...)...

ThunderPoit
2012-05-31, 20:01
I was doing some IRL minecradting last weekend. had to till and shovel a small 11' sqaure of the yard, damn did that leave me sore. And almost none of it fit in my pockets, even after i took the shovel out.

RowdyScot
2012-05-31, 20:37
If only it was as easy IRL as it was in MC...

drewprops
2012-05-31, 21:43
LOL!!!

I've been spending most of my MC time working a real garden as well.... and nothing grows as nicely as MC melons.... I hope to heck they don't introduce insects into MC... that would be a major drag.

2012-06-20, 23:55
Once again, T I want to thank you for putting this together. :)

I do check it a few times a day, and for the first time ever my love sat down next to me and seemed actually interested. I explained what was going on from here to there, tried to explain the "we have other people living here too - they're not real" thing, and did a basic scan of the overhead view.

All was good, until she asked me who was building the huge smiley face. "Huh? The thing out in the ocean?" "No." "Mario? That's Mario" "*glares*. I know, dick. Not that, that."

"Ahhhhh" :

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/smileybobsky.jpg

I LOL'd. :D :lol:

2012-06-21, 00:13
I also got a dig... though not quite as funny. Because it was about my thing.

I was all showing off the museum from both angles, and I hear: "Frog"

"wut?" "Frog. Or evil frog. Or lizard." "wherewhat?" "Look at the eyes! The teeth! It looks like it's about to eat your downtown." Oh gods.

ME:

http://greychristian.com/AN/museumnom1.jpg

HER:

http://greychristian.com/AN/museumnom2.jpg

My god do I hate my girl. :grumble:

Brad
2012-06-21, 01:32
:lol: Sounds like she's a keeper!

turtle
2012-06-21, 07:18

That's gold right there!

RowdyScot
2012-06-21, 10:18
:lol: That's fantastic!

turtle
2012-07-06, 18:02
Maps are going to go down for a bit while I do a fresh build. There have been issues with it completing for some reason so I'm going to make it start fresh. This is going to take a bit.

Also I purged any chunk that was 16K or less. There are a bunch of small chunks again and needed to be pruned up. I'd like to do more major pruning just to make the process easier for that matter. I'll try to post an image of the to be cut areas.

http://turtle2472.com/an/northprune0706.png
http://turtle2472.com/an/eastprune0706.png
http://turtle2472.com/an/southprune0706.png

2012-07-06, 18:11
All that shit needed to be pruned anyways for 1.3. Emerald ahoy! ;)

Brad
2012-07-06, 21:07
Nice! You beat me to it, T. I was recently thinking about doing exactly this kind of trim.

turtle
2012-07-06, 21:26
I'll have it done by the end of the weekend. It's one of my many projects I have on my plate. :) Can I tell you I made my server very angry when I delete the old maps off of them. 350,000 files at about 25k in size wasn't well liked by the node. :p

Thankfully I know the sysadmins. :D

Brad
2012-07-06, 21:33
All that shit needed to be pruned anyways for 1.3. Emerald ahoy! ;)

FWIW, when 1.3 lands, the landscape will be alien beyond the existing perimeters, just like it would have been after the previous world-changing releases.

Should make for some interesting adventuring…

SpecMode
2012-07-06, 22:07
Haven't seen it mentioned here yet, so here you go - there is now an official release date for 1.3: August 1st (http://www.mojang.com/2012/07/minecraft-1-3-info-snapshot-w27/). There'll be a release candidate the week before, so everyone can try out the new bugs a few days early.

Also, DAMMIT:

A couple of problems and expected features have been pushed to Minecraft 1.4. The most notable problem is the lighting issues causing black regions in the terrain. We’re looking into ways to solve this, but lighting is a very expensive calculation and we are struggling with finding a solution that doesn’t hurt framerate.

ThunderPoit
2012-07-06, 22:08
wait, we have to start over again?

SpecMode
2012-07-06, 22:10
wait, we have to start over again?

I think the plan is to make chunks outside the developed area go away, so that we get the new resources and such in the wilderness beyond.

ThunderPoit
2012-07-06, 22:17
right, but the two worlds wont exactly play nice together, right? as in giant cliffs everywhere?

2012-07-06, 22:20
wait, we have to start over again?No, just that the stray chunks that are pruned will regen with emerald (in the hilly areas) and all new loot (as long as nobody goes out there beforehand).

I'm kind've done with Notch, Jeb, et al when it comes to a reboot. Next time that "needs" to happen I'm out for good. I'll be in for Drew's "New World" party, but I've invested way too much to start over again x5...

I'd rather just build a SMP world and invite you all over. Though, I'd miss you all immensely.

Brad
2012-07-06, 23:15
right, but the two worlds wont exactly play nice together, right? as in giant cliffs everywhere?
Correctamundo.

2012-07-06, 23:26
Seriously?

I thought this was another "trim the bullshit" fix, :confused: If no, I am :(

Brad
2012-07-07, 00:04
Well, the 1.3 update is when cliffs will apear start to appear on the fringes. This is because the 1.3 terrain algorithm changes to have "giant" biomes.

RowdyScot
2012-07-07, 00:39
However, the emeralds supposedly are going to appear only in the giant biomes, so if they start appearing in new chunks just randomly and quickly, it won't take us long to find them. Both a blessing and a curse, I'm afraid.

2012-07-07, 08:07
I thought that the "giant" biomes were just an option, not mandatory. Goddamn it notch.

Brad
2012-07-07, 09:15
However, the emeralds supposedly are going to appear only in the giant biomes, so if they start appearing in new chunks just randomly and quickly, it won't take us long to find them. Both a blessing and a curse, I'm afraid.

Unless I missed a change, emeralds also only appear in one of the many biome types, and that's because you're generally supposed to trade with villagers for them, not mine them.

RowdyScot
2012-07-07, 12:52
Yes, the Giant Hills biome, if I'm not mistaken, is the only one in which they appear. So trading with villagers is the best way to get them. The trades with villagers can be infinite, though, so it isn't that difficult if you find a decent one (like wheat for emeralds).

billybobsky
2012-07-07, 13:10
I thought that the "giant" biomes were just an option, not mandatory. Goddamn it notch.
they are optional :err:

RowdyScot
2012-07-07, 13:33
If they're optional, I'd be fine with having them off and just trading with Testiclefuckits for legit emeralds. Then again, if we're all-creative-all-the-time, that likely doesn't matter.

billybobsky
2012-07-07, 13:58
We should consider making outposts with the different world types.

Seriously.