PDA

View Full Version : MBA vs MBP

Lucid
2011-07-20, 13:24
Hello all,

So I'm going to college this fall, and am looking to replace my 3.5-year-old Macbook. I've been trying to decide between the Macbook Air and Pro for a while, but have been waiting for the MBA update that just happened to make a final decision. Honestly, I absolutely love the form factor and (lack of) weight of the Air. I wouldn't say I'm the strongest person, and I have a feeling I'd appreciate carrying around 50% less weight on my back for the next few years.

What I am not sure of is whether the Air is worth it (yet). I honestly don't think I'll be doing much processor-intensive things, since my interests have been shifting from computer science to math and physics lately, but I'm still very much into programming and will inevitably take some comp. sci. classes in college. However, it seems that subjecting my back to a couple of extra pounds gets me much more (albeit slower) storage and a much better processor. I mean, I think I'd want 256 gb on the Air, and the i7 as well—that's 450 dollars in upgrades. Is it worth it? Or perhaps one or both upgrades aren't necessary?

Any advice on the matter? I plan on heading over to an Apple store soon and just playing around with both to get a feel for which I might want. But I'm really not sure at all what to do (I was sort of hoping for a better update to Air . . . however optimistic that may have been). And if I do spring for the Air, would the 11 inch or 13 inch be better? I've heard that the 11 inch is sort of this perfect size to carry around everywhere (and I might get an external display if I go that route), but the 13-inch has a better battery.

I guess my main question, really, is whether you guys think the incredible form factor of the Air is worth sacrificing power and space.

Thanks.

csb
2011-07-20, 13:39
A thread i'll have to follow i was just going to post the same question I have to buy my daughter a new laptop on her return to school this fall, and i'm up in the air between the Air and the Pro.

evan
2011-07-20, 13:56
go for the air! I used it my last semester in college for computer science and the 13" model was great. The high pixel density is awesome, and the computer is definitely brawny enough to handle programming tasks (I did mostly iOS and web stuff with it).

I'd say it comes down to how much you use DVDs/CDs, particularly on the go. If it's just when you're at your desk you'll be set with the external drive but if you have a huge DVD collection you like to watch on the go then that's not too feasible.

Basically, don't worry about the computer doing what you need - it's plenty capable for your average college student, even those interested in CS. Worry more about the things it flat out doesn't have compared to the MBP (storage, CD drive), and how important they are to you. For me, size/weight is something that impacts my use EVERY TIME I take my computer somewhere, and in college that's a lot. Having a more portable computer makes a much greater positive impact on my life than a CD drive or bigger hard drive.

Maciej
2011-07-20, 16:00
Quag just posted this link (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/early-benchmarks-reveal-new-macbook-air-rivaling-high-end-2010-macbook-pro/) detailing the new Air's performance. And it is good. :D I'd love me some air, if I was going to college right now.

Lucid
2011-07-20, 18:46
Wow that is a pleasing graph for someone trying to convince himself to go for the Air. Also makes me feel more comfortable about potentially sticking with an i5 instead of spending more for the i7.

Robo
2011-07-20, 19:30
Wow that is a pleasing graph for someone trying to convince himself to go for the Air.

:confused: It sounds like you know you want the MacBook Air. Why would you spend basically the same amount of money on a MacBook Pro that just has extra horsepower you're not sure you need?

The $1199 and $1299 128GB/4GB MacBook Airs are the sweet spot, IMO. Just get one of those and a big cheap external HDD. You'd probably want an external HDD with the MacBook Pro anyway, for backups and such, so it's essentially the same price for the Air design you so obviously love. ;)

The 13" Air also has a higher resolution display than the 13" Pro. (Technically, the 11" MBA has more pixels than the 13" MBP.) And the Air has an illuminated keyboard again. It really is basically compromise-free, unless you view not having an optical drive as a compromise. But it doesn't sound like you do.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple get rid of the 13" MacBook Pro, with the next MBP redesign. The Air is where it's at. :D

Lucid
2011-07-20, 19:50
I do love it :D. The thing was that I was originally thinking that 256 gb and i7 were things I really wanted/should have, but I'm starting to realise that: a) I'm not going to need 256 gb with me all the time, and (as you said) an external HDD would solve any storage issues easily, and b) well, I just plain don't need an i7 over an i5. That in mind, pricing is more comparable (again, as you said).

So if I do get an Air, I suppose the 13" makes more sense, right? As a main computer, more real estate and better battery life should trump even more portability, I think.

pscates2.0
2011-07-20, 20:52
The 13" isn't that much larger than the 11", looking at Apple's tech specs page. (http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html)

Both share the same thickness/taper, and the 13" is only 1" wider and about 1.5" deeper than the 11" (right under 13x9). And the weight? 2.38lbs. for the 11", 2.96lbs. for the 13". .58lbs...just barely over a half-pound.

I'd go with the 13", just for the more comfortable displays and the battery life. Not sure I could deal with that little 11" display full-time, as my sole computer.

Maciej
2011-07-20, 21:24
Hands down 13".

Robo
2011-07-20, 21:33
Of potential note, the 11" MBA is 16:9 while the 13" MBA is 16:10. I like 16:9 displays, but I know that some people (like chucker) prefer 16:10.

I think either one is a great choice. And it's only $100 more to get the 13" model (with a slightly faster processor and an SD card slot to boot), so it's not like you're getting penalized with the "high end option" tax for going with the 13." And you do get the better battery.

I'd go so far as to say that Apple views the 13" MBA as their "mainstream" MacBook, with the 11" option being there for the mobility fiends and people who want a cheaper option. The "mainstream" MacBook has been $1,299 before (the aluminum MacBook). That's why they aren't charging a more typical premium for the bigger screen/faster processor/SD card slot/bigger battery.

I think the 13" MBP is a goner. I really do.

torifile
2011-07-21, 05:46
Air. 11". It's the best portable computer I have ever used. The screen resolution is high enough so as not to make the screen feel cramped. And it's cute.

If you game, you should put the money saved over the 13" into an Xbox. If you don't, get an external display.

Kyros
2011-07-21, 13:51
One thing to consider is how long you plan on keeping this computer. The MBP will last a lot longer, not necessarily because of processing power, but because you will be able to upgrade the hard drive, and more importantly, memory.

Personally, I'd lean towards the MBP. It weighs just about the same as my old 12" and it was no problem carrying that around in my backpack. But then, I expect my computers to last 6 or 7 years; if you are okay with buying a new computer in a few years, the air is probably fine.

I'd definitely go with the 13" in any case. I can tell you from experience that being stuck with a small display as your only option gets kind of frustrating after a while. Plus, the extra battery life should be invaluable to a student - the seats next to the power outlets will be taken first at lunch :P.

As for processing power, well, let me put it this way: for a few months I was using my Pismo to write papers and do research (and goof off online), and had absolutely no problems doing so. As long as you can ssh into department equipment for doing stuff like running programs you've written (which should be no problem at any university), you shouldn't need power for university related tasks. Of course, there are always those professors that want you to run some applets and watch short video clips, but whether or not you need the power of an MBP will come down to your hobbies rather than your coursework.

Lucid
2011-07-22, 19:36
I mean, I'm planning on it lasting the next four years. Storage-wise, I don't think I'll have a problem—I'll have external storage, and if it comes down to it (which I don't expect it to) and I feel ambitious enough, it seems as though the Air SSD is user-replaceable. And on the memory front, does it seem as though 4 gb will become insufficient in the next four years? I know requirements have been going up, prices going down, but I can't really see 6 or 8 gb becoming standard/necessary in the next few years. Is that poor judgement? In any case, I think portability is a significant enough factor for me that these limiting cases won't end up swaying me towards the Pro. I'm still going to wait for some more hands-on reviews and benchmarks though over the next few days before I make a move, and my campus store has yet to release their pricing anyway. So I suppose I'll post again when I make my final decision.

Kyros
2011-07-22, 21:18
I think the MBA will last you 4 years if you want it to. I can definitely see 4 GB struggling before 4 years are up, especially if 10.8 comes out by then, which it probably will. It all depends on what you do with it and what you are willing to live with. I mean, I used my G4 powerbook for 6 years, but I know people who wouldn't have been able to live with the speed after 2, especially knowing the intel machines that were out there were a big step up, and I think the memory limit (1.25 GB for it) was a big factor.

Basically, personally I would go in assuming that the MBA will have trouble with some state of the art software/operating system in a couple of years because of the RAM limit, but then I'm a bit paranoid about those kinds of things. Actually, for 4 years you probably are going to be just fine.

I'm also not so sure about the SSD, I think it's soldered on the logic board in the new ones.

Maciej
2011-07-22, 21:50
I'm also not so sure about the SSD, I think it's soldered on the logic board in the new ones.

Negative, on that.

Also, in my experience it is better to buy the more moderately priced machine and upgrade some years down the line, rather than splurging, maxing the machine out, and trying to make it last. I think someone may have said as much in one of the previous posts - I don't quite remember. I wouldn't think too much about the RAM, the SSD ought to help immensely with that (it does on my MBP).

torifile
2011-07-22, 22:15
11" Air. You'll be happy. It feels like the future.

Kickaha
2011-07-22, 22:50
I'm considering an 11" Air now, just because I realized that my main machine is a nearly 5 year old MacBook.... well, the hard drive dying on it last week may have had something to do with my questioning its viability, but other than *that* it's been a spiffy little unit.

But still... damn those new units look nice.

Lucid
2011-07-22, 22:51
Well I'm going to head over to a store to get a feel for 11" vs. 13". But theoretically, I just feel like a bit more portability and a hundred dollars aren't worth -2 hours battery life and less screen. Then again, I just might be wrong (what's your opinion on that issue, torifile?), we'll see (especially since you—and I suppose many other users—have taken to the 11" so strongly).

Kyros
2011-07-22, 22:54
Negative, on that.

Also, in my experience it is better to buy the more moderately priced machine and upgrade some years down the line, rather than splurging, maxing the machine out, and trying to make it last. I think someone may have said as much in one of the previous posts - I don't quite remember. I wouldn't think too much about the RAM, the SSD ought to help immensely with that (it does on my MBP).

Well I do know that the memory is soldered, so I'd max that out. Otherwise, I agree, I wouldn't buy upgrades from apple.

Maciej
2011-07-22, 23:22
I meant just get a whole new machine all together after a couple of years. Basically I don't really believe in "future-proofing" a computer much.

Kickaha
2011-07-22, 23:40
Well I'm going to head over to a store to get a feel for 11" vs. 13". But theoretically, I just feel like a bit more portability and a hundred dollars aren't worth -2 hours battery life and less screen. Then again, I just might be wrong (what's your opinion on that issue, torifile?), we'll see (especially since you—and I suppose many other users—have taken to the 11" so strongly).

My wife was insistent that she'd want the 13", coming from a 15" MBP.

Until she realized she could fit the 11" in her *purse*... suddenly the thought of leaving an entire bag behind at the house when she went out won her over.

torifile
2011-07-23, 07:49
I thought about the 13" for a while but decided that when I wanted portability, I wanted portability. As Kick said, they are truly tiny. I used the bag I had for my iPad for it. When I wanted a larger screen, a 13" screen wasn't going to cut it. JMHO.

Kyros
2011-07-23, 12:44
One thing to note about screens is that even the 11" has more pixels than your 13" MB.

I actually agree with Maciej about pumping money into a computer to make it last. It won't work, once you are sick with the speed of the low end model, the highest model will not get you to the next product cycle. But I do believe that people upgrade their computers way more often than they need to. I bought a used 17 inch about a month ago to replace my 6 year old 12 inch G4 and I would say the upgrade was more about wanting something new than there being anything I actually couldn't do with the G4 (although running 10 programs at once is much more pleasant on the 17" of course). It even ran Photoshop CS2 like a champ! I think anything you buy today will last you as long as you want it to unless you are into heavy duty gaming or need to run the latest photo or video editing software or things like that.

I think things like screen size, drive size and memory are going to limit your experience more than the processor now, so I would buy based on that. Since you are fine with external storage, an air sounds fine. But if you get the 13 inch, don't expect it to last you longer than the 11 inch just because it costs more. I think that's basically what Maciej is saying, too.

I still think you have to get 4 GB of memory though. And I wouldn't want to back to only 5 hrs of battery life after experiencing 7-8 with my MBP.

Kickaha
2011-07-23, 13:07
I'm kinda sorta looking at an 11" MBA + external screen for when working at home.

Maciej
2011-07-23, 16:07
Agreed, and about the memory.

Kickaha's idea about the 11" and an external monitor sounds like gravy too. If you could get the Thunderbolt monitor; that would be da shizzzz.

pscates2.0
2011-07-23, 16:23
That's what I'd do in this situation. I'd get the second-tier 11" (twice the RAM, twice the storage) and pair it with a 27" Cinema (or Thunderbolt) Display for at-home use. These new 27" models will probably start showing up as refurbs by October, going for $849-ish, $150 off the new price).

What, BTW, are the big crucial differences (besides a Thunderbolt port) in this new 27" display and the one it replaced? :confused: If it's just the inclusion of Thunderbolt and little else, the just-replaced 27" is currently at the refurb section for $849.

Whatever the details, 11" for on-the-go, connected to a big honkin' 27" displays at the house sounds like a really nice way to go. It's the set-up I'd go with if I was needing a computer for travel, but didn't always want to be stuck with that tiny screen while working at home.

Kyros
2011-07-23, 16:32
I think the new display has FW800 ports, some USB ports, can daisy chain the TB port and also has an ethernet port (why?), all of which goes through the one TB cable, and might actually be relevant for MBA users, if nothing else so your external drive can go through TB/Firewire instead of USB.

Definitely a good option if you can afford the display.

Capella
2011-07-23, 16:36
I have to admit, if I could at all swing the finances, I would swap my 13" MacBook for an 11" Air in a heartbeat. The purse argument is where it's at for me. I have a lovely field bag I carry as my purse that holds everything I carry with me, but a 13" MB is just a smidge to large to fit. An 11" Air would perfectly. So bam, full computer with me All The Time. Second, unlike a lot of people, I actually hate large screens. The external monitor I currently use for my MB at home is a 19" with 1440x900, and I have never once said "I need more space". I pretty much only use the external monitor when gaming anyway.

My personal ideal setup under $2,000, would be 11" MBA for OS X and productivity use, coupled with a medium-performance Windows desktop geared towards gaming and storing media, coupled with a cheap 19" monitor to pair with the desktop.

chucker
2011-07-23, 16:37
I think the new display has FW800 ports, some USB ports, can daisy chain the TB port and also has an ethernet port (why?),

Why not? You dock the MBA to it and, bam, big display, external drives, and faster, more reliable networking, all in one cable.

, all of which goes through the one TB cable, and might actually be relevant for MBA users, if nothing else so your external drive can go through TB/Firewire instead of USB.

Definitely a good option if you can afford the display.

Yep.

Maciej
2011-07-23, 18:08
As a docking station for the 11" MBA the new Thunderbolt display can't be beat.

Lucid
2011-07-23, 18:08
First, a couple of questions about displays since I'm not so knowledgeable in this area. Does a Thunderbolt cable go directly from the Thunderbolt port to a DisplayPort port on a display? In a daisy chain, I would have to buy multiple Thunderbolt cables, right?

Second, the 11" + display does sound like a great option; I just think, even at $849, seems an unreasonable buy for some kid going to college (regardless of whether its affordable for me). I know I lose something like the ethernet and firewire (I actually don't care much about firewire) ports by going with a third party display, but I mean, I can get, for example, a 23" Dell UltraSharp display for <250 dollars, which just seems like so much more sense, right?

chucker
2011-07-23, 18:14
First, a couple of questions about displays since I'm not so knowledgeable in this area. Does a Thunderbolt cable go directly from the Thunderbolt port to a DisplayPort port on a display? In a daisy chain, I would have to buy multiple Thunderbolt cables, right?

Yes, and yes.

Second, the 11" + display does sound like a great option; I just think, even at $849, seems an unreasonable buy for some kid going to college (regardless of whether its affordable for me). I know I lose something like the ethernet and firewire (I actually don't care much about firewire) ports by going with a third party display, but I mean, I can get, for example, a 23" Dell UltraSharp display for <250 dollars, which just seems like so much more sense, right?

Yeah, get an adapter to DVI or full-size DisplayPort, and you're good to go.

Lucid
2011-07-23, 18:38
Yeah, get an adapter to DVI or full-size DisplayPort, and you're good to go.

So, a Thunderbolt cable is $49, and mini-DP to DVI is $29. Does the price reflect any difference I would see in using the monitor?

torifile
2011-07-23, 18:50
Don't forget the built-in MagSafe adapter on the display. One less bulky thing to have to deal with.

chucker
2011-07-23, 18:51
If you want to use Apple's Thunderbolt display, you'll have to use a Thunderbolt cable. If you want to use any regular monitor, an adapter can be had for much cheaper. It's $6.46 at Monoprice. (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2)

Lucid
2011-07-24, 19:52
11" Air. You'll be happy. It feels like the future.

I went down to the Apple store today and could think nothing but this. The screen did not feel small, and even though the size/weight specs aren't that different than the 13", the practical difference seemed enormous. The 11" was something I could easily handle with one hand and just looked like the perfect size for someone on the go. So I've decided to go 11" + external display (though not the Thunderbolt display, for reasons I've already mentioned).

It's $6.46 at Monoprice. (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2)

Does the picture on that site make the cable look very small, or is it just me?

torifile
2011-07-24, 20:38
I went down to the Apple store today and could think nothing but this. The screen did not feel small, and even though the size/weight specs aren't that different than the 13", the practical difference seemed enormous. The 11" was something I could easily handle with one hand and just looked like the perfect size for someone on the go. So I've decided to go 11" + external display (though not the Thunderbolt display, for reasons I've already mentioned).

Wise choice. :)

chucker
2011-07-25, 00:25

It's an adapter. The $29 one you get from Apple isn't any longer.

Maciej
2011-07-25, 00:36
Adapters are usually (always?) male to female, a cable would be male to male.

chucker
2011-07-25, 00:48
Okay, let me rephrase: it's meant to switch from one standard to another, not to bridge large distance.

Brad
2011-07-25, 01:16
Adapters are usually (always?) male to female, a cable would be male to male.

Correct. If you look closely, you'll see that the adapter from Monoprice is also male-to-female. It's male on the thunderbolt end and female on the DVI end.

Dorian Gray
2011-07-25, 02:19
I would (and did) get Apple display adaptors. You might be fine with a Monoprice cable, but I know Monoprice has sold Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptors that didn't conform to the DisplayPort specification, causing trouble (http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/Miscellaneous/DisplayPort_Notice.pdf) (PDF) for many users of NEC displays, for example. Worse, they continued to sell (http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036743420&postcount=24) these defective adaptors after being alerted to the problem by customers.

Apple adaptors may seem overpriced, but at least they conform to the relevant specifications and are not built with the primary goal of saving every possible penny in their construction. Unless you're in a pretty tight spot, I don't see the point in trying super-cheap cables and adaptors.

chucker
2011-07-25, 02:32
Huh. I wasn't aware of that. I always see Monoprice recommended everywhere.

I just have a hard time recommending a $29 adapter. :\

Dorian Gray
2011-07-25, 07:51
So do I, so they must work for lots of people. I'd just rather not take the risk. 29 dollars, while expensive for an adaptor, isn't a lot in relation to a MacBook Air and an external display.

Capella
2011-07-25, 10:20
I would (and did) get Apple display adaptors. You might be fine with a Monoprice cable, but I know Monoprice has sold Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptors that didn't conform to the DisplayPort specification, causing trouble (http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/Miscellaneous/DisplayPort_Notice.pdf) (PDF) for many users of NEC displays, for example.

That's fascinating and I'd never heard of that. I can't speak about Thunderbolt cables, but I've owned Monoprice mini-DVI to DVI and mini-DP to DVI, recommended the mini-DP to DVI to 3 other people on my floor, and none of us have had issues. That said, I'd still rather spend $7 and see if it works with my display first rather than spend $29 if I didn't have to.

Lucid
2011-07-25, 11:14
Okay, let me rephrase: it's meant to switch from one standard to another, not to bridge large distance.

D'oh! See I didn't realise that the display would come with a DVI cable and that I was looking for an adaptor. I thought it'd just be one product to switch standards and bridge the distance.

The monoprice adaptor looks to be OK, and I'd rather not spend an extra 20-25 dollars needlessly.

zippy
2011-07-28, 08:41
I have the same question as the originally post, but with a slight tweak.

My nephew is just starting college this Fall, and wants to get an Apple Laptop. He will be studying Film.

So, what do you all think about the difference between the MBA and the MBP as it relates to a Film student? He was thinking he really preferred a 15" monitor, which would obviously limit him to the MBP, but I suggested he consider something smaller that he could pair with a decent external monitor. The 15" MBPs seem more expensive than I remember - I thought they used to start around $1400 or 1500?

Also, he will need to get some kind of film editing software. I don't know if the university will require anything specific, but if given the choice, I told him that the new FCP X would probably be the way to go. Since he will be just getting into it, most of the criticism that has been lobbed at FCP X by existing pros will probably not apply to him (lack of import for FCP 7, missing legacy tools, etc.). It is definitely less money than Premier.

Dorian Gray
2011-07-28, 09:54
My younger brother studies film, and he's just bought a 13-inch MacBook Pro over the Air because it has a built-in DVD drive. He still watches a lot of DVD movies from his university's library, so for his specific requirements the Pro made sense.

His course doesn't require any editing, by the way. It seems to deal with the cultural and political context of film rather than the nuts and bolts of making films (e.g. acting, lighting, etc.). Has your nephew told you he will need to edit, or did you assume that? I'd double-check before buying editing software.

torifile
2011-07-28, 10:21
If I needed an optical drive, I'd go with a 13" MBP and change to an SSD for the storage. It makes a huge difference in speed.

zippy
2011-07-28, 11:53
My younger brother studies film, and he's just bought a 13-inch MacBook Pro over the Air because it has a built-in DVD drive. He still watches a lot of DVD movies from his university's library, so for his specific requirements the Pro made sense.

His course doesn't require any editing, by the way. It seems to deal with the cultural and political context of film rather than the nuts and bolts of making films (e.g. acting, lighting, etc.). Has your nephew told you he will need to edit, or did you assume that? I'd double-check before buying editing software.

He was the one who said he needed a film editing software. I don't know if he's really looked into the exact needs, or if he is just assuming things. I could see it as one of those things that is necessary, but maybe not the first year.

The lack of built in optical drive is kind of a toss-up. As long as he doesn't need to have DVDs on the go, having an external in the dorm room would suffice.

I'm just wondering about the power of the MBA for running FCP Pro, or Premier Pro if he ends up needing one of those. I think it would do just fine, but I'm not sure.

torifile
2011-07-28, 14:01
He was the one who said he needed a film editing software. I don't know if he's really looked into the exact needs, or if he is just assuming things. I could see it as one of those things that is necessary, but maybe not the first year.

The lack of built in optical drive is kind of a toss-up. As long as he doesn't need to have DVDs on the go, having an external in the dorm room would suffice.

I'm just wondering about the power of the MBA for running FCP Pro, or Premier Pro if he ends up needing one of those. I think it would do just fine, but I'm not sure.
For either of those two uses, I'd worry more about storage capacity than horsepower.

Maciej
2011-08-06, 13:19
Anyoe here have the 11" with upgraded processor? Is that something the Apple store stocks? Mom is doing some traveling so she decided to get an 11" MBP, I'd advise to get the upgraded processor but it's probably not strictly necessary. What do you guys think? Just Office work and flash videos, I don't think she edits images or anything really...

SpecMode
2011-08-06, 13:26
Usually, the Apple Store will have at least the 'standard' configurations as shown in the online store; in this case, the two 11-inch configs, and the two 13-inch models. That may vary by store, of course, and they may have certain models out of stock due to popularity.

I'd recommend calling your local store ahead of a visit to find out if they have the one you're looking for.

FFL
2011-08-06, 15:43
Anyoe here have the 11" with upgraded processor? Is that something the Apple store stocks? Mom is doing some traveling so she decided to get an 11" MBP, I'd advise to get the upgraded processor but it's probably not strictly necessary. What do you guys think? Just Office work and flash videos, I don't think she edits images or anything really...

The upgraded processor is generally a waste for her type of usage.

It's even more so in the case of the MBA (I assume "MBP" was a typo on your part), because its SSD architecture is much more of a factor in overall speed.

Maciej
2011-08-06, 16:02
Yes, my bad MBA...

She got the 11" w/ 128GB SSD and i5. I think she'll be more than happy... Now I just gotta figure out how to migrate her accounts without a FW800 port.

SpecMode
2011-08-06, 16:51
Now I just gotta figure out how to migrate her accounts without a FW800 port.
Wi-Fi, or if you've got an external USB drive with a current Time Machine backup, you could use that instead (it'll be faster). Make sure you install any available Migration Assistant updates on the source machine first.

Maciej
2011-08-06, 17:41
Went WiFi because I don't think she had any recent backups. It certainly is taking forever: 3+ hours (~60GB data over N-wireless). It may have been faster to do a backup then use that for a transfer but I don't think I can cancel the migration at this point.

SpecMode
2011-08-06, 19:21
Yeah, Migration Assistant can be a bit of a pain in that respect; once it starts, the only way to stop it is to either kill the connection, or forcibly shutdown one of the two machines (or both, if the remaining machine is being stubborn).

Lucid
2011-08-12, 21:43
By the way, just got my Air today. 'Tis a truly beautiful thing.

torifile
2011-08-12, 22:58
By the way, just got my Air today. 'Tis a truly beautiful thing.
Congrats. It's a wonderful little machine.