PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a reclining office chair

Wrao
2011-07-24, 21:06
Since I've gotten my iMac nicely set up the way I like it I find that I am more prone to wanting to watch movies on it, but my chair just isn't all that comfortable to kick back and watch something for too long. I have seen reclinable office chairs before but I am worried they are mostly too bulky. Does anyone have any experience with these? worth the time/effort or just kind of a waste? Any chair recommendations in general? the chair I have really isn't long for this world and is ugly to boot.

Maciej
2011-07-24, 21:44
Will be watching this thread closely. To me the material that the cushion is made out of is quite important. I think it is important to find a chair that suits the amount of sitting you'll be doing, whether it be heavy use, moderate use, or even light use.

Kickaha
2011-07-24, 22:12
I bought one of these for my office a few years ago: http://www.lafumafurniture.com/Lafuma-RSX-XL-recliner.pro

LOVED IT. New office isn't big enough, so it's now used on the patio, but yeah, the biggest problem was not falling asleep in it! Extremely comfy.

Wrao
2011-07-28, 15:04
That chair looks just about perfect, except, I kind of require that it has the ability to rotate as well, which is kind of a nuisance since you wouldn't want to rotate while reclined really, but I'd only use the reclining feature for watching movies(well, I say that now...) Other wise, the mesh, lightweight looking frame and price are solid.

addabox
2011-07-28, 16:37
That chair looks just about perfect, except, I kind of require that it has the ability to rotate as well, which is kind of a nuisance since you wouldn't want to rotate while reclined really, but I'd only use the reclining feature for watching movies(well, I say that now...) Other wise, the mesh, lightweight looking frame and price are solid.

I can attest that these are the most freakishly comfortable chairs in existence. They're typically sold as beach loungers or deck chairs, and the aluminum frame/mesh construction doesn't seem like it would amount to much, but the unlimited range of reclining position, practically horizontal full back position and the springy mesh make for sitting heaven. I'm not sure about full upright office duty, since these babies are just begging you to kick back and nap.

Also, note that the internet is full of cheaper knock-offs built from cheaper materials, but the linked item is the original real deal.

Kickaha
2011-07-28, 17:18
Yup. I used it with a BT Apple keyboard, and velcroed a Kensington trackball to the armrest. (Now I'd probably velcro a Magic Trackpad...) Big assed Cinema Display on the desk, and it was *heaven*.

I thought about rotation options as well, and finally decided to forego it. BUT... the plan was to use an existing chair swivel ring, and sandwich it between two pieces of plywood, with the top providing mounting points for the chair leg pieces, either clamps or just run screws through the piping and directly into the wood.

Oh yeah. Redneck couture, baby.

Maciej
2011-12-25, 16:40
Any other advice? I also need one of these, soon-ish. Budget is ~$300, but I could probably stretch that a couple hundred if I needed to. I tried going to the Lafuma link Kickaha posted but they seem to down at the moment. (I think I remember what it looks like though.)

My main intended use will be office work (in a mostly upright position) but also tend to do a lot of reclining for gaming / sleeping.

Wrao, what did you settle on?

JohnnyTheA
2011-12-25, 17:25
My work has been replacing most of the office chairs with these:

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/leap/pages/overview.aspx

They are REALLY expensive (like maybe $1000) but you might find them on the net cheaper.

They are the best office chairs I have ever seen. If you sit at a computer for long periods of time, these are very good on the body.

JTA