PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the DVD drive with an SSD

Kyros
2011-07-25, 12:17
Hey everyone. My brother has a spare 64 GB SSD lying around and I was thinking about taking advantage of it by replacing the dvd drive in my MBP with it. I found this (http://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-Unibody-External-Notebook-included/dp/B005CGELKW) bracket on amazon, which is a lot cheaper than the $75 or $100 ones I've seen from OWC and others. Is there anything to these brackets other than some metal and a sata cable? I don't think there is, but I want to make sure it's not a bad idea to cheap out with these things :lol:.

turtle
2011-07-25, 18:13
I don't know what makes one better than the other, but I can tell you I've done this with my MBP and love it. :) Some one posted the edit so you can use Remote Disk and that is just awesome.

Kyros
2011-07-25, 18:28
Well the bracket I linked comes with a usb case for the dvd drive, I assume I can just use that to install a system on the SSD? Having remote disk work might still be nice, though :).

turtle
2011-07-25, 18:30
It is well worth it to have Remote Disk. I don't know if that's a good project or what. Given it's price and the comparable items on the market I'd have to wonder of it's real value. Worth a shot though if your MBP is a unibody. Cake to open and change parts. :)

Kyros
2011-07-25, 20:17
It is well worth it to have Remote Disk. I don't know if that's a good project or what. Given it's price and the comparable items on the market I'd have to wonder of it's real value. Worth a shot though if your MBP is a unibody. Cake to open and change parts. :)

Well, I feel like given what (I think) goes into the brackets, I don't understand why it costs $75 in the first place. I certainly believe that it should be possible to sell a well made version for $30 and still make a solid profit, but I don't know if I'm wrong and there is more to it than I thought. Can I just buy a short sata cable and make my own bracket? Do I even need a cable? Once I have the SSD in my hand I'll open up the MBP and have a look at what I can do. If I need a bracket, I'll try the cheap one and let you folks know :). I found the commands to activate remote disk, so I'm all go for that too.

Dave
2011-07-25, 20:31
What's "remote disk"?

Kyros
2011-07-25, 21:45
What's "remote disk"?

Remote disk lets you use another mac's dvd drive with a drive-less machine, it's normally only activated on a MacBook Air and the new mac minis.