PDA

View Full Version : Affordable VMs in the Cloud

Partial
2011-07-25, 13:56
I'm looking to run an application running out of Apache Tomcat in a linux set-up in the cloud. I'm familiar with Amazon EC2, I was just wondering if anyone can offer any advice on the best hosts out there in terms of reliability, cost, etc. I don't have much experience in this area and don't really know where to start looking.

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Brad
2011-07-25, 14:15
When you say you want it "in the cloud", what exactly are you looking for?

turtle
2011-07-25, 18:10
Well, if you need zero support then I had good dealings with Server4You. However, they got booted a few days ago in favor of my new host, InMotion Hosting. I have many reason for going to InMotion but I can assure you that the support is unmatched.

Partial
2011-07-25, 20:23
When you say you want it "in the cloud", what exactly are you looking for?

A small VM that I can set-up for CentOS and run a java application server (Tomcat) and mysql on. It probably doesn't need to be very powerful at the start as I doubt many people will use my application from the start.

Brad
2011-07-25, 21:17
Being "in the cloud"* implies some sort of load balancing or distributed processing or distributed storage, though. It sounds like you might just want a VPS.

*Yes, I'm using "air quotes" because cloud computing is such a nebulous term (pun fully intended).