PDA

View Full Version : HTML 5 Total Package Framework

Partial
2011-08-08, 20:44
All,

I'm looking for an HTML5 framework that is the real deal. I've looked in Sproutcore, Cappucinno, and GWT so far. Each one seems to have it's pros and cons.

Something that I dislike about all of these are the limited examples online and the crappy documentation. I'm coming from a Java, Adobe Flex, and ObjC background, so I'm used to really good documentation and examples.

I'm looking for something that is relatively mature. For example, right now, Sproutcore is undergoing a major transition. Most of their documentation is considered deprecated on their website, and now they're moving towards an entirely new set-up for version 2.0. It seems that there are a lot of moving parts, and with the crappy documentation, I've spent about 2-3 days now without having anything really tangible to show it.

GWT is seems alright. I've had a really hard time finding good Google results for some things, but other things I really haven't had much of a problem with. They have at least one really well architected example application on their site. This is good because I'm building a commercial app so having a scalable and extensible framework is key.

I love the idea behind Cappucinno with using Xcode and the Interface Builder. It sounds awesome. However, I've upgraded to Lion and Xcode 4 so the IB integration no longer works.

Lots of built in controls and components is a plus. Oh, and btw, why is it such a PITA to vertically center anything in HTML?? I can't tell you how many times I've googled this and couldn't get it to work in GWT. :)

Basically, I'm not sure where to go. I need to consume restful services with fairly complex json objects. This works great in iOs and a flex client. I just want to start getting away from the flash plugin, but I'm an HTML n00b so I'm trying to make it as painless as possible.

Gargoyle
2011-08-09, 17:54
By the sounds of it, you are confusing two different things, presentation logic and application logic.

HTML (any version) is primarily a presentation layer. Sure, with HTML5 and specific browsers, you have storage and worker threads, etc. But nothing what I would actually call "Enterprise ready" application stuff.

I suspect what you are really looking for is an application framework such as the Zend Framework, Symfony2 (PHP examples) or Ruby on Rails, etc, etc. To actually build the application, with the HTML5 presentation only being a small part of that application.

Personally, after doing a lot of web based application development over the last 15 years, my personal choice is PHP (Yeah, it has some issues, but so do a lot of web related things) - and at the moment, the Zend Framework is proving to be a very solid MVC based framework to build upon. (Well, any MVC framework that is built properly should set you off to a good start)

Once you have built your core application logic, then the HTML5 is just the user interface, which you can start with something basic and improve upon while you spend the time learning, knowing that you built the underlying application to a good standard.

Partial
2011-08-09, 21:04
I'm looking for a thick client and thin server framework. I have an extremely rich client coded in Adobe Flex that I want to port to javascript and html5. It doesn't seem like there is anything even close to flex in terms of ease-of-use at this stage of the game :(

I've really dug into GWT in the past 24 hours and will likely go with that for the project since it's for my job and I need to get something done. It's pretty cool so far with the history management, etc and the way views are pushed onto panels using the MVP framework. It's fairly straight forward for managing overall application state as well as the state of subviews within a bigger picture.

I would have liked to use Sproutcore (for the Apple effect and for the coolness factor) but it just doesn't seem ready for mainstream. I'm guessing the guys that are doing Sproutcore dev for Apple have been doing it for awhile as it's not particularly straight forward to jump into.

In my app, I have 6 tabs that each correspond to a complex view. Each view will have a handful (or more) subviews that are interconnected between both interactive events, as well as driven by retrieving json data from the server.

Here's a link of the framework.

http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/articles/mvp-architecture.html