PDA

View Full Version : Who's hitting the boards with the ugly stick?

HOM
2005-01-25, 00:00
http://homepage.mac.com/hom1/uglystick.jpg

:confused:

This isn't a random thing tonight. It's happened to me at least a dozen times. This is just the latest incarnation.

Brad
2005-01-25, 00:05
Your computer = teh suck? :\

It looks like our CSS isn't loading in that image. I have no idea why. Nothing has changed on our end in several weeks and I never experience that.

The next time that happens, hit cmd-opt-A and see if there are any errors or incomplete transfers.

Paul
2005-01-25, 00:07
yeah, I have been getting page loads like that intermittently as well... possible regional glitch?!?

I just now completely cleaned safari of all 3rd party additions and cache files and I haven't seen anything weird since--I thought that was the culprit. But if HOM is seeing this behavior has well... just a coincidence?

scratt
2005-01-25, 00:18
Sounds like a cache problem somewhere outside of your locations...
Try the site through a proxy server a long way away to check.

In Thailand some of our international sites are held on a local cache at the ISP and we can't even get up to date news without going through a proxxy in the US, or UK!!

Makes web dev. very hard here as you cannot see changes when you upload them internationally for up to a day!!!

Brad
2005-01-25, 00:27
One thing worth noting that I just remembered is that Safari apparently sometimes refuses to cache our CSS page. I don't know why; it's probably just a Safari bug because we're not doing anything out of the ordinary.

I'm going to modify our htaccess file to try to force a later expire time on our CSS files.

Brad
2005-01-25, 00:41
:grumble: Apparently Apache is set up on this server so we can't change the expires parameters in our .htaccess files.

*shrug*

usurp
2005-01-25, 01:04
it happens to me sometimes. its when the connection on my side becomes really slow or fucks up. If you reload it should work fine.

IonYz
2005-01-25, 01:15
Looking fine here (using OmniWeb). But I have similar problems when making changes to our company site from home. Either Safari is messing with my CSS or the squid proxy dealy at work is pulling some mojo.

torifile
2005-01-25, 07:26
I had the same problem yesterday. But the intarweb was slow for me all day. :/

LoCash
2005-01-25, 10:14
Actually, the interesting thing in the screenshot above is that main.css is loading, but the forum specific stylesheet is not.

Brad
2005-01-25, 12:53
Good observation, LoCash.

Curiously enough, I experienced this problem this morning too. So, I'll definitely look into the forum stylesheet on Friday and try to pinpoint any weirdness.

Paul
2005-01-25, 13:05
I see you use the javascript confirmation for PMs there brad... any chance that could be looked at as well :devil: I hate that popup that comes up after every sent message! Ok Cancel? FUCK YOU! ;)

Maciej
2005-01-25, 14:18
This definitely wasn't happening to me before yesterday. Now its happening about every other pageload. :'(

Paul
2005-01-25, 16:01
In the Apple Store Roosevelt Field....
http://homepage.mac.com/psantora/.Public/ancsstn.png (http://homepage.mac.com/psantora/.Public/ancss.png)
So its definitely not a problem with software... unless it is a serious bug in Safari...

alcimedes
2005-01-25, 16:04
i can tell you i've never seen this problem once in Firefox.

2005-01-25, 16:32
Nor in Camino.

nomorewindows
2005-01-25, 17:10
This has happened to me a few times the last couple of days, but I just reload and it goes away. I thought y'all didn't like me or something...:p

thuh Freak
2005-01-25, 17:11
i've never seen the problem with firefox on windows, GNU/Linux or Mac OS X. i also use safari sometimes on macosx, and i've never seen it there neither.

Brad
2005-01-25, 17:12
i can tell you i've never seen this problem once in Firefox.
Right. As I mentioned above, I believe it's a problem with Safari specifically not keeping the file cached and, for some reason, for fetching it properly.

nomorewindows
2005-01-25, 17:17
Right. As I mentioned above, I believe it's a problem with Safari specifically not keeping the file cached and, for some reason, for fetching it properly.

Hmmm. I've been thinking of trying Camino. This might push me in that direction, 'cause this is butt-ugly.

torifile
2005-01-25, 20:51
If I'm not mistaken, HOM's screenshot up above is using FF.

Brad
2005-01-25, 21:09
Hmmm. I've been thinking of trying Camino. This might push me in that direction, 'cause this is butt-ugly.
Are you really experiencing it that often? :confused: I do nearly all of my browsing in Safari and I've only seen this happen once.

If I'm not mistaken, HOM's screenshot up above is using FF.
Nope, that's just Safari in Aqua instead of metal. See the joined buttons, the SnapBack button, and the resize nub for the Google bar? :)

torifile
2005-01-25, 21:15
Nope, that's just Safari in Aqua instead of metal. See the joined buttons, the SnapBack button, and the resize nub for the Google bar? :)

Well, I'll be! :o I didn't even know you could add buttons to the toolbar! I saw the home and resize buttons and thought, "That must be firefox because you don't get those buttons in Safari." Learn something new everyday....

Brad
2005-01-25, 21:17
Yeah, hit the View menu to toggle buttons. Not very intuitive, huh? Fortunately, Safari 2.0 should finally bring us a standard customizable toolbar.

LudwigVan
2005-01-25, 22:49
Just for the record, the "blackout" issue occurred just now for me on IE 6 (Windows 2000).

Brad
2005-01-25, 22:50
It just happened to you a few minutes ago because you caught it as I was swapping files. :p

I split up the mammoth forums.aipro.css file into two smaller files. Maybe that'll help a bit... it's still pretty odd.

To anyone who has been experiencing this glitch, please post here again if you are still experiencing problems now.

johnq
2005-01-25, 23:01
I did 30 seconds ago. But it's normal now.

LudwigVan
2005-01-25, 23:09
It just happened to you a few minutes ago because you caught it as I was swapping files. :p

You wily bastard! :p (j/k)

Thanks for letting me (us) know. I'll keep my eyes posted for any future anamolies.

torifile
2005-01-25, 23:28
Got some funky border things going on. Right now, there the left and right borders aren't around the "main" part of the page. Earlier the main part of the page was the width of the window rather than the 80-90% it usually is.

torifile
2005-01-25, 23:31
http://homepage.mac.com/torifile/.Pictures/anmessup.jpg

What it's been looking like recently.

Paul
2005-01-25, 23:52
yep, I noticed this as well in my "preferences" page (can we change the name to settings?)
top and bottom of the page are missing the dark grey background... (I haven't installed the security update yet.)

Paul
2005-01-26, 00:15
GAHH! surfing the boards is painful when you are changing these files!! I just got 3 different color schemes in a period of 5 minutes... all of them "wrong" ;)

freaky.

Its like you really are "hitting the boards with the ugly stick"... repeatedly! :lol:

Brad
2005-01-26, 00:16
I just tossed in another possible fixer.

Apparently Safari is doing the (sometimes) right thing by ignoring the second style sheet. The official specs from W3C say only one style sheet should be loaded. I think I got a workaround, though.

If it isn't working any better now, try emptying your cache.

Of course, keep me posted if you still have problems.

edit: LOL @ Paul. :D

HOM
2005-01-26, 01:52
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/uv/images/ugly_guyshead.jpeg

+

http://www.finearts.uvic.ca/~laskarin/ASSETS/SMALLPIX/TREE5.JPG

=

http://homepage.mac.com/hom1/fuglystick.jpg

Ebby
2005-01-26, 02:58
Interesting. Two rows of laughing faces started taking over the webpage, each with a different frame of the animation.

If there were two smilies in a post, they would break apart and render themselves in the post above, leaving 4 smilies. This would repeat until the animation was done in a long streak of, (what could easily send someone to the loony-farm) of happy faces filling the screen.
There coming to take me away, hehe... :D
I was going to post a screenshot I took but when I selected the area to capture, everything cleared up.

Brad
2005-01-26, 09:30
Well, I just experienced another glitch and it appears to be a problem with our "border" code. I actually have a replacement for this part of the code in the works (bu-bye HTML tables. hello CSS divs!) but Internet Explorer doesn't play nice with it. SURPRISE SURPRISE!

I'll probably look more into implementing that change over the weekend.

Brad
2005-01-27, 00:06
I made another small change to our CSS tonight. As before, keep me posted if you continue to experience problems.

thegelding
2005-01-27, 12:49
firefox has been ugly for a couple of days for me...cleared cache, no help....

it is fine for me in safari though?? strange...damn this pc at work

ugly ugly ugly

but i still come and post for the love

g

SonOfSylvanus
2005-01-27, 18:29
So you've seen this before, huh?

http://www.sonofsylvanus.homechoice.co.uk/images/wtf.jpg

Brad
2005-01-27, 18:44
I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, but I'll need to talk with Jack about it some time over the weekend.

autodata
2005-01-27, 19:13
You should post what it is when you find out. It would be interesting to know.

Brad
2005-01-28, 00:56
Well, it's a server issue that's strictly on our end. Apparently the server is randomly refusing file accesses. Sometimes it's threads; sometimes it's images. If you are one of the unlucky, sometimes it's the CSS files, thus the UGLY STICK SWINGETH. I've temporarily remedied this by lumping most of the CSS code directly into the forum templates.

The reason this has been affecting Safari users significantly more than Mozilla/Firefox/Camino users is that Safari doesn't always like caching CSS files. I'm at a loss about that much.