PDA

View Full Version : MBA Keyboard

Rod
2011-11-26, 21:05
Is it true that the keyboard on the MBA is porous and used to alow heat to escape the body of the machine? This would allow liquid to pass through. Are there any concerns about that out there?

Rod

Brad
2011-11-26, 21:21
This would allow liquid to pass through.
Even if the keyboard's material was porous (it's just plain old plastic), there are still many many gaps where liquid can pass through. The keys are not sealed flush against the aluminum chassis, and the ports, speaker grilles, and vents (obviously) are also not sealed. The MacBook designs are not supposed to be water-tight.

Protip: don't keep your beverage close to a notebook computer of any sort!

newenglanddmc
2011-11-29, 04:04
Apologies if this has been discussed at length, but I was wondering how much of an adjustment it is to switch from a MBP keyboard to the MBA keyboard. I recently took a friend's 2010 MBA 13in for a spin and found the the typing experience to be considerably different. I found I needed to press the keys substantially harder.

Just curious what the adjustment period is like- I assume I would get used to it rather quickly?

Dorian Gray
2011-11-29, 05:58
I got used to my girlfriend's MacBook Air keyboard quite quickly. The keys have a slightly shorter travel than on the MacBook Pro, and are accordingly stiffer and a tad spongier. The keyboard feel isn't quite as good as on a MacBook Pro. However, the difference isn't huge, and as I said, I got used to it in no time.

Going back to the original thread topic: all Apple notebooks draw air into the cooling system via the keyboard. That's how they're designed. Liquid will obviously get inside if you spill something on the keyboard, just as it would with any other keyboard. A substantial spill is essentially a death sentence to any keyboard or notebook computer (except maybe an old ThinkPad or Toughbook).

Sketch
2011-11-29, 07:06
I just recently went from a MBP to a MBA, and I feel no difference in the keyboard. Matter of fact, I like it even more, may be it's just me.

Kyros
2011-12-01, 21:16
I once spilled about 2/3 of a can of soda on my old 12" Powerbook's keyboard. You could see the liquid behind the screen for a few days after that: until it dried I guess, but other than that, no damage :lol:.