PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing help...getting some thoughts before buying late Spring...

thegelding
2011-12-12, 17:15
So lots of time before this purchase...but basically it comes down to this:

I have an iMac G5...it can no longer get operating software updates...no biggie as it runs well and has tons of storage etc etc....and we don't use it a ton as I use my iPhone and iPad2 as my daily work machines, my wife uses her Mac Air...

But the iMac is nice to have for storage, backups and joint stuff we do...photos, movies, banking etc etc...

The downside...the iMac won't work with iCloud....

And we have thought from time to time about updating it...just we have never been in any rush as it does what it does...just a bit slow

We have to decide by June of 2012 as that is when Mac/Me goes away and replaced by iCloud...

But if we want to go iCloud and still have a "joint" computer...what should we use to replace the iMac with?

Next years iMac would work...lots of storage...big screen....only downside is it will be non-portable.

Maybe a Mac Book? Will it have tons of storage and be the "rock" of a machine that the iMac is? Upside would be ease of moving about.

Maybe a Mac mini...can a mac mini be connected to my iMac G5? It would be nice not to throw the iMac G5 into the closet with my iMac Bondi and iMac lamp...but then again a flat screen isn't too expensive any more...

Thoughts? Will be buying in late spring of 2012 I guess...

thanks

g

PB PM
2011-12-12, 17:39
None of the portables would be good for storage. If that is what you really need get a Mac Mini and some external drives. That is a cheaper option and you can always add more storage (via Thunderbolt) over time.

thegelding
2011-12-12, 21:57
yeah...leaning mac mini....

can't connect the G5 iMac to the mini to use as a monitor I guess...

mmmm, not sure what to use that for when I update...

g

Yontsey
2011-12-12, 22:07
Use it for a media hub. You could store iTunes movies on there for AppleTV and have speakers for music and do AirPlay.

bassplayinMacFiend
2011-12-13, 14:38
yeah...leaning mac mini....

can't connect the G5 iMac to the mini to use as a monitor I guess...

mmmm, not sure what to use that for when I update...

g

Unfortunately, the iMac G5 has no video in. Although you could use VNC or other remote desktop software if you don't mind a bit of update lag.

I pulled my iMac G5 out of its box the other day to see if it still worked. The HDD borked itself on first boot and I can't get my Leopard DVD to be recognized. Don't want to spend money on it but don't want to toss it either.

thegelding
2011-12-16, 10:59
ok, so spring of 2012 iMac G5 gets turned into music hub for Living Room...

right now I'm heavily leaning toward the mac mini and a cheapish flat screen...

so the next question is:

Mac Mini server vs Mac mini and Time Capsule.

I like the idea of backup...which is a better system? internal backup with two HDs or external backup?

Thanks again

Gavin

ps...i'm kinda an idiot...what benefits does a mac mini server have over a regular mini?

PB PM
2011-12-16, 14:17
The only advantage of the sever version is, that it comes with Mac OSX sever, and two HDDs. Otherwise they are the same. Unless you need Mac OSX sever edition, just get an external drive for backup, much cheaper.

thegelding
2011-12-16, 16:53
The only advantage of the sever version is, that it comes with Mac OSX sever, and two HDDs. Otherwise they are the same. Unless you need Mac OSX sever edition, just get an external drive for backup, much cheaper.

ohhhh, i want sever edition...sounds "bloody" fun...

what does server edition do?

Gavin

PB PM
2011-12-16, 17:28
It would allow you to use the Mac Mini to host all the data/users etc on your network, like any server would. Look up Mac OSX server on Apple's website for info, never used it myself.

Ryan
2011-12-17, 01:59
Be warned: Lion Server is rather FUBAR. For basic home use it should be fine but push it too much in terms of customization and it falls apart quickly.

bassplayinMacFiend
2011-12-17, 21:13
Also, lion server is only a $50 add on now.

screensaver400
2011-12-18, 12:15
I think some websites sell a bracket to add a second HDD to the non-server Mac mini.

FFL
2011-12-18, 16:22
I think some websites sell a bracket to add a second HDD to the non-server Mac mini.

If you go that way, you might as well go all-out and make the additional drive an SSD for the OS and apps.

GSpotter
2012-01-01, 13:34
The only advantage of the sever version is, that it comes with Mac OSX sever, and two HDDs. Otherwise they are the same. Unless you need Mac OSX sever edition, just get an external drive for backup, much cheaper.There are some significant hardware differences: The server has a 2.0 GHz Core i7 quadcore (geekbench: 8611 points), but only onboard graphics (HD 3000). The desktop mini top model has a 2.7 GHz Core i7 dualcore (geekbench: 6936 points), but a dedicated graphics chip...

I hope that Apple will update the Mac Mini in the April-June timeframe to the Ivy Bridge architecture, and then might be able to put a quadcore with a dedicated graphics card in that over-miniaturized mini enclosure...

I'm looking for a replacement to my aging MacPro 1,1 in that time frame. The current hole in Apple's portfolio is really frustrating: I'd love to see a Mac with the same specs as the top iMac but without the integrated monitor...

GSpotter
2012-01-01, 13:39
I like the idea of backup...which is a better system? internal backup with two HDs or external backup?
I'm currently thinking of switching to network storage and buying a NAS (probably a Synology DS212+ (http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS212%2B&lang=us)).This can be used as file-, media-, iTunes-server etc. for all connected computers. I'd then use a USB-drive connected to the NAS for the backup.

GSpotter
2012-01-01, 13:42
If you go that way, you might as well go all-out and make the additional drive an SSD for the OS and apps.+1
I just added an SSD (Crucial M4) as boot drive for my old MacPro. A real speed boost!