PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 3G iPad 2: in-store or online?

williamb
2012-01-13, 00:02
My father uses Verizon already for his work, so I'm going to get him an iPad 2 with 3G connected through Verizon. I see on Apple's website you have two choices for 3G: Verizon or AT&T.

Can I buy a 3G iPad 2 in-store, or must I order it online? Also, if I can buy it in-store, will I need to sign up for a data subscription plan on the spot, doing all sorts of paperwork? I just want to buy, bring it home, and if my dad wants to get the 3G service connected he can do it whenever he wants. If he doesn't want 3G, then that's ok, too.

My dad just got diagnosed with stage four brain cancer, specifically GBM. He needs something cool to mess around with.

torifile
2012-01-13, 09:50
First, sorry about your dad. :( I hope that he's able to make some sort of recovery.

As far as the iPad, you can buy it in-store and you don't need to sign any sort of a contract for it. You can activate 3G data on your own, from the device.

Yontsey
2012-01-13, 10:05
I meant to respond to this last night. Prayers to your father.

For the 3G service, you just go into the General Settings and there's a Cellular option and you just turn on 3G and then set it up that way, inputting your information, credit card or whatnot and what data package you do. There isn't any contract. It's more of a month to moth deal. I've only used it once, but it's nice to have for trips and the sort.