PDA

View Full Version : MC: Cactuar Rail System

turtle
2012-03-25, 19:57
So I'm about to build a rail from my Jungle Underground lair to the Village I'm playing in. This brought up the question about depth of the tracks and such. I can make it run more on the southern side of my property which will put it more inline with the center of town. It'll run straight East between the jungle area I'm in and werejack's mountain until it sharply turns south at the eastern side of my village.

So how deep? Any plans for a main rail system yet?

Seems we've voiced to avoid using skyways now.

Robo
2012-03-25, 20:35
How close to my mountain would it be? I left you left a sign in-game asking where the edge of your jungle claim was. Is it the edge of the jungle? I'm trying to gravel off my claim, to avoid further stepped-on toes. :)

turtle
2012-03-25, 21:14
It will be under the edge of the jungle on my side of the water.

I haven't really claimed any land really, as in not thought about the boundaries. I guess I should find where my underground structures are and add a few blocks outside of it for my land stake. Most of my land usage is underground with tree houses coming soon.

Robo
2012-03-25, 21:21
It will be under the edge of the jungle on my side of the water.

Oh, OK. No worries. I've been operating under the assumption that the river was the boundary, just wanted to make sure that was accurate. :)

turtle
2012-03-25, 21:34
Yeah, Well I thought about starting at the top of your mountain, but figured it wouldn't go well. :p

So I based on the in game chat I'm going to put my tracks at level 50. I'll post the X/Z numbers once I get started. This will be the birth of the Green line again. :D

delphi
2012-03-26, 11:53
I would like to build a rail system in the Neither.

First question, may I build a rail system in the Neither?

If the group approves, should I build a separate corridor network or use the current passages?

billybobsky
2012-03-26, 13:58
Not a good idea, Delphi... The zombie pigmen will spawn on them...

turtle
2012-03-27, 06:18
Yeah, we had some in Nether a while back and it is hard to keep it running down there because of the pigmen. I can't imagine it being an issue with anyone for one to be built, but we ended up running most of the time because of the pigmen getting in the way and stopping the mine carts.

We did both, a standalone path and in line with the main tunnels. Main tunnels worked better because the pigmen weren't always in the way. One of the single block wide tunnels I did was non-passable when a pigmen was in it.

delphi
2012-03-27, 07:52
Copy that! I'm glad I asked. Thanks for letting me know the issue.

drewprops
2012-03-27, 08:03
Easy solution: log flumes!!

turtle
2012-03-27, 19:59
No problems, I will likely build rails in Nether again so please feel free to do so if you'd like too, just know the issues you face. At least you can push start still. :D

On that note, I'm standing on my bottom block and it's a Y = 50.62. Just FYI if anyone wants to follow suite on the same level. Tunnel is being started at my village for now.

Edit: My E/W segment runs from z=160.3 to z=163.7 (4 blocks wide and three tall currently.)

turtle
2012-03-30, 20:31
So my section of track I was personally interested in has been completed. I did extend to the desert via tube under/through the water between biomes. I put markers in the beach to line up with the walls of the tunnel for anyone who wants to build the line connection to the main city area.
http://turtle2472.com/an/rail1.png

I also extended into the East more than my cross over point to my town. I figure this can be used to connect to the far east near Bryson and others.
http://turtle2472.com/an/rail2.png

The stop point under my jungle home leads to my in ground farm and such. My plan is to leave the stops so you have to get out of the cart and hop on the next segment if you wish to go further down. I'm open to changing this up, but figured since I was making the track for my use I'd open it up for everyone.

turtle
2012-03-31, 20:25
So, I've finished the rail system to the Far East. It comes up somewhere around X=1450 Z=164. I'll leave the "cleaning up" of the entrance to those who live in that region. For now, you have access to the rail.

However, until someone makes the connection/termination in town then I guess it won't get you too far. :p

drewprops
2012-04-01, 01:38
That's Dellphi's castle- Bradster and I rode your rails tonight.

turtle
2012-04-01, 11:15
Cool, though I would like to stress that it isn't my rail system. It really is for the whole community. That's why I'm hoping someone picks up and builds in town for the terminal there. I'm not interested in that section personally because I have no plans to do anything in that area.

Maybe 709 or bb can do that project. I think 709 mentioned the train station part 2.

turtle
2012-04-08, 00:16
So it seems most people won't get much use of this since nothing has popped up in the desert that is town. Would you all like to to just make a stairwell down? At least then it can be used when heading east and someone can "fix up" the entrance some other time. At least this way it will be useable.

billybobsky
2012-04-08, 03:12
sorry turtle been busy...

RowdyScot
2012-04-08, 03:39
Not sure if anyone has even planned anything over in that area of town yet.

Robo
2012-04-08, 04:02
I'm sure we'll build out in that direction eventually. But it sort of makes sense that everybody took the open area around the core of town (exchange, "central park," the post office?) first. Now that that's pretty much used up, I'm sure the town will expand both north to the rail line and south toward the lighthouse. :)

I actually really like how the town is progressing so far. It feels like it's growing in a nicely organic way, kind of like Bridgeport did. Terra Nova had some really cool structures — I heart the old train station — but there was a lot of space in between them, too. Terra Nova felt like a loose assortment of buildings, whereas Cactuarville is feeling more like a town. I like how structures are popping up more spontaneously, like the boathouse. So I wouldn't worry about the city not growing out in that direction, t. I'm sure the view from SpecMode's treehouse will continue to get cooler and cooler :)

turtle
2012-04-08, 11:14
My hesitation in doing it for you guys is I'm not going to have a presence in town as of now and am not paying attention to the building plans.

So I'll just make the stairs go up and when ever someone is able they can then modify it as needed. Yesterday when Ijak was heading over to the Stronghold was a good example of how the rail system was still not really usable by most.

turtle
2012-04-08, 14:01
Ok, so I popped up through the surface in the desert. I also converted the northern rail to be an "Express Rail" to Adventureland with no stops. (Riding this rail gets you an achievement for those who need to complete all of them. :p)

The Southern rail is one with all stops in between. Now all those in town can get on the rail. It popped up near the spawn walk I think. Amazingly enough, right were a pool was in the desert.

billybobsky
2012-04-08, 14:48
oh: we need a postoffice... perhaps the one from tn can be copy/pasted over... just south of my castle thingy might work.

2012-04-08, 15:00
oh: we need a postoffice... perhaps the one from tn can be copy/pasted over... just south of my castle thingy might work.I was thinking maybe the area I terraformed between the Exchange and you would work... but the S area might be big enough as well.

[edit]: WHOA! :eek: Apparently I missed some transplant activity last night (today?). FUN!!! :D

turtle
2012-04-09, 20:59
So I think I'm going to change the entrance of the Adventureland station. I would like to be able to make the main rail continue to the East. Is everyone over in that area ok with that? It would come up between the mountains near Delphi's castle area.

Also, Ely, would you like a tunnel to hit your property anywhere? I'll build a branch off heading your way too if you would like.

In case you guys hadn't noticed, I'm enjoying the train project. :p My next plan is to work on crossing signal for an inbound train since the Express Rail is nonstop. :D

Elysium
2012-04-09, 21:56
Also, Ely, would you like a tunnel to hit your property anywhere? I'll build a branch off heading your way too if you would like.

Not yet. I've still got to plan out the rest of the island. The Nether corridor works for me for now.

Artap99
2012-04-09, 22:10
Not all of the powered rails are working. I fixed a few, but some are still unpowered. The redstone torch needs to be moved to under the rail's block rather than next to it.

drewprops
2012-04-09, 23:28
So I think I'm going to change the entrance of the Adventureland station. I would like to be able to make the main rail continue to the East. Is everyone over in that area ok with that? It would come up between the mountains near Delphi's castle area.

I'm cool with that. Bryson? Dell?

turtle
2012-04-09, 23:33
Not all of the powered rails are working. I fixed a few, but some are still unpowered. The redstone torch needs to be moved to under the rail's block rather than next to it.

I saw a buch and fixed them too. It works if you place the torch, then rail, and finally block over torch with the method I use. Not sure why those stopped working.

Bryson
2012-04-09, 23:36
I'm cool with that. Bryson? Dell?

Any chance we could see that on a map?

Brad
2012-04-09, 23:58
Last I checked a few days ago, it had already emerged. You just can't see it on the map because it's obscured by the mountain. I think It emerged around here (again, behind the mountain):

http://i.imgur.com/RHyZS.jpg

Or was that an old entrance that has since moved?

turtle
2012-04-10, 00:00
Yeah, it currently comes up in the water you see with the lilly pads to the right of the castle. I'm looking to make the opening more open South and between the mountains.

drewprops
2012-04-10, 00:09
Can we all just take a minute to go WOW at Dellphi's castle??!!??!!

Artap99
2012-04-10, 13:15
Wow.

Bryson
2012-04-10, 13:19
Yeah, it currently comes up in the water you see with the lilly pads to the right of the castle. I'm looking to make the opening more open South and between the mountains.

I'm still not quite sure where you mean.

Basically, I don't want the entrance to pop up under the rainbow walk anywhere - I'm trying to keep the "bowl" there unlit and undeveloped.

Do you mean directly outside Delphi's front door? Or on that islandy bit to the East of the Rainbow Walk? I'd far prefer option B out of those.

Edit: Or maybe that bit of flat land South and West of Delphi's place, nearer Drew?

turtle
2012-04-10, 17:00
Basically my idea is to be able to continue the same tunnel East so everything branches off of it.

http://turtle2472.com/an/advstair.png

My thought was to come up in this opening on the left. The thing is that it would block up to opening there. Really I just want to be able to make the tunnel keep going East to we can maintain it's one continuousness. :D

2012-04-13, 22:01
So Brad - after talking with T a little bit in-game I may take the opportunity tomorrow during Creative Day to build a scaled down version of the TN train station. If you don't mind me replacing your lava structure, of course.

While I love my exterior design (and yours too, btw), your rail design was way better. Much more realistic, and honestly, a lot cooler. I can whip the upper structure together tomorrow, but I'd like to work with you on the rails in/out. Maybe I'll grab one of boxo's anger picks and flesh the lower area out, but I'd really like your input on track design.

Cool? :)

turtle
2012-04-14, 22:26
So 709 has built/is building the train station where my tunnel came up. I'm planning to get started on major legs to the North, West and South now.

Is there anyone inline with major legs coming off of it at the 49-55 block depth? (When standing in the tunnel it's at level 50.62 for an idea of the actual level.) It's 4 wide and three blocks tall, I just don't want to cut into someone's property with the tunnels.

2012-04-15, 01:45
Just finished. :)

I don't remember exactly how Brad designed the ins and outs, but I've built out an approximation on one side. Hopefully he can tweak it to fit how he had it in TN.

2012-04-15, 01:49
So 709 has built/is building the train station where my tunnel came up. I'm planning to get started on major legs to the North, West and South now.

Is there anyone inline with major legs coming off of it at the 49-55 block depth? (When standing in the tunnel it's at level 50.62 for an idea of the actual level.) It's 4 wide and three blocks tall, I just don't want to cut into someone's property with the tunnels.When heading S, keep a ways away from the area around the exchange. The mob trap will be underneath there eventually.

It may be a safe bet to follow underneath the road that way (Division Ave) - unless RS or bobsky have underground areas spreading out from their builds.

RowdyScot
2012-04-15, 02:00
When heading S, keep a ways away from the exchange. The mob trap will be underneath there eventually.

It may be a safe bet to follow underneath the road that way (Division Ave) - unless RS or bobsky have underground areas spreading out from their builds.

I'm not sure exactly how far it will spread (likely just under the bar's footprint, maybe a bit out behind the bar in the small grassy area), but I *will* be building underneath the bar.

billybobsky
2012-04-15, 03:45
When heading S, keep a ways away from the area around the exchange. The mob trap will be underneath there eventually.

I have a bedrock bucket under my build because I found several horizontal shafts going into the area beneath the site. It lines up with the edges of the paths around it.

delphi
2012-04-15, 05:05
When it is time to dig West, you will be going through my place. Go ahead and go straight through at the standard height of 50. I will rebuild/rework. In fact, if you don't mind the help, I would like to help you dig the tunnels. I would like to start with the west line. Is that ok with you?

turtle
2012-04-15, 11:04
When it is time to dig West, you will be going through my place. Go ahead and go straight through at the standard height of 50. I will rebuild/rework. In fact, if you don't mind the help, I would like to help you dig the tunnels. I would like to start with the west line. Is that ok with you?

Totally ok with me for you to help with it. Dig away! Check out the tunnel I already have if you wish to follow the same style I have used.

delphi
2012-04-15, 18:36
The west bound rail now goes to about x= -400, z@163.
Of course, it currently has no stops.
Shall I work on the south bound? Any color in mind for the south?

Elysium
2012-04-15, 18:44
The west bound rail now goes to about x= -400, z@163.
Of course, it currently has no stops.
Shall I work on the south bound? Any color in mind for the south?

I think we should do White for the north and Yellow or Blue for the south.

turtle
2012-04-15, 19:21
Looks like I might not be able to get on in a while. Go for starting the Southern line. I think it will be awesome if you can. I'll work the North line when I can get on. White it shall be as requested by Elysium. I have set some stuff aside so I can get to it during the week since I might not get on much tonight.

billybobsky
2012-04-16, 01:24
Hold off on the southern line -- it needs to not be straight...

turtle
2012-04-16, 06:13
bb, mind mapping it out since it seems we need to pass between your stuff? Might not even bee a bad idea for you to dig the tunnel past the trap area just to be sure. I know that there is an area for the gay bar too, but we should pass East of that with no problem.

2012-04-16, 08:52
I may reroute the entryways into the station a little bit - I was planning to have 2 lines come in per side (like Brad's station in TN), not one coming in at each center. That's my fault though, I wasn't really specific about it. No biggie though. They can easily be worked in that way.

Some of the line heading W and S may need to be moved around a bit as well (at least under the city area). Again, no biggie. The largest lengths are still useable.

[edit]: Maybe something like this:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/rail.jpg

Not sure how the S line should go - it'd be nice if it was under the sidewalk, but if it's a tight squeeze between bobsky's palace and rowdy's bar maybe it's best to direct it behind the future mob trap (yellow - and assuming there's no basement under Bryson's Arts Centre).

Bryson
2012-04-16, 09:24
Ah, I missed this... I powered the S line through last night. Didn't hit anything....

billybobsky
2012-04-16, 09:45
Yes, well the trap isn't there yet...

2012-04-16, 10:12
Just popped in to look at it quickly at it seems like it'll be fine. It just goes under the Arts Centre and Robo's Lego house - far enough away from the trap plan I think.

The red line (W) may have to be adjusted eventually. It runs under the desert between the bowling alley and Dellphi's house, so any builds between those would hit it if they had basements. We'll see what pops up and address it when it comes time.

I still may rework the lines coming in and out of the station though, but that won't affect the paths other than directly around the station.

Bryson
2012-04-16, 10:12
No huge problem, just needs moving to under Division as it hits Main Street, right? Easy enough.

EDIT: So, I guess it would be helpful to know where the trap is actually intended to go. If we don't have to move the rail (i.e.: it doesn't sit under the centre of the Lego House) then that would be easier all round.

2012-04-16, 10:33
The short side of the trap will stretch between the back of the floating mob head to under the exchange (maybe underneath the sidewalk as well), and the long side will stretch from the far side of central park to under the river.

What's the death-drop # for mobs again? I can't seem to remember.

drewprops
2012-04-16, 10:43
It's 4.

Bryson
2012-04-16, 11:26
That's good. Looks like someone put a lot of work into upgrading the initial tunnel as well, (now lined with nice stone) so it's good that it doesn't need to move.

Can I suggest that the "stopping" lines be fitted with V-slots rather than hard stops, so you can just press a button to keep going rather than have to get out and restart? I have a prototype small station stop at the Boathouse. Thoughts?

2012-04-16, 11:28
Can I suggest that the "stopping" lines be fitted with V-slots rather than hard stops, so you can just press a button to keep going rather than have to get out and restart? I have a prototype small station stop at the Boathouse. Thoughts?I was going to suggest that as well. Much handier.

delphi
2012-04-16, 11:55
Sorry guys. I've been just working away on the rails. I will gladly help make any adjustments.

Foj
2012-04-16, 13:26
You don't have to worry about adjusting any rails that may go under the bowling alley. If I make any additions it will be up rather than making any basements.

turtle
2012-04-16, 16:21
Personally I hate the V-stops.

This is why I set the Northern rail to be express and the southern to be the one with stops. Just take the rail that fits best. Get off when you need to. Push start if you must.

I think the Western branch needs to have the Northern rail be express also. For the N/S rail lines it should be either the Eastern or Western that is the express and the other have the stops.

This is my personal take however. I hate the V-stops.

Foj
2012-04-16, 16:34
Just wanted to let you know that on the Adventureland express line I noticed that some of the red rails were inactive. Also, some of the track on the Adventureland side was missing.

Looked like some digging took place and there was some nearby lava that burned a little of the green wool.

Bryson
2012-04-16, 16:41
I hate getting off and walking round, so there we go... :) Express is good and all, but what if you want the stop that's most of the way to the end? Get off and walk round three times?

What don't you like about the V-stops?

turtle
2012-04-16, 16:53
They don't always stop you. I've picked the track up or block under it more times than I care to count. I don't mind walking. :D

Fire on the Green line! Oh no! I'm gonna go check it out. Thanks for letting me know. X-ray glasses here I come.

Edit: Track fixed and lava filled in.

Also, if you you guys want to modify the track to use the V then go for it. I won't be bothered in the least, I just hate them so I won't be doing the. The train system is now for me personally, so it's up to you guys. :)

RowdyScot
2012-04-17, 13:46
Didn't realize there would be a subway station put above ground when we already had the train station. I'd planned to remake Pride Park from BP behind the gay bar, and one of the subway stations is in that spot. If there's anywhere it could be moved, it would be appreciated, but if not, I can deal with it - the stone bricks may be replaced with something a bit more festive to complement the surroundings, in that case. ;)

Bryson
2012-04-17, 14:22
It could move or go if it has to. It's just a fair walk from the Exchange to the station, so I thought I'd stick in a stop there. There isn't really anywhere else in that area to build one, so I guess a long walk it'll be.

It's been said before, but if you have plans for land, you need to stick a sign up. These new "permission-free" building codes only work if people telegraph their intentions clearly.

RowdyScot
2012-04-17, 14:28
It'd been discussed multiple times in game, but I don't know who was on and when. I can redecorate it, if that would be easier overall. It may just get rainbowed the fuck up. :D

Bryson
2012-04-17, 14:30
I'm happy with modifications. :)

In-game discussion is all very well, but a sign is a must if you hope to reserve land. You really can't rely on discussion on chat.

If it weren't for impending mobtrapitude, we could put an entrance under the stairs in the exchange. Does the mob trap require absolutely all the height? Or could it start just below subway level? That would be easier....

RowdyScot
2012-04-17, 14:37
I'm not sure exactly how far it will spread (likely just under the bar's footprint, maybe a bit out behind the bar in the small grassy area), but I *will* be building underneath the bar.

It's been said before, but if you have plans for land, you need to stick a sign up. These new "permission-free" building codes only work if people telegraph their intentions clearly.

I think the bolded section may be the bigger concern. I don't know if my plans would be running into the tunnels, but just noticing where the actual tunnel is now and wondering if I can constrain my plans to within that part. May have to reconfigure the Angry Hole. EDIT: I guess the subway station is a worry, too. I can always leave a giant section in the middle blocked out if needed. I'm going to have to think about this one. >_< Don't take it down. I'll work around it. Just have to figure out how I'm going to change things.

Stevuh
2012-04-17, 18:55
what if the entrance to the subway is under the bar's kitchen? with an exterior entrance that could work...

Bryson
2012-04-17, 19:13
Nice idea - wrong side of the proposed mobtrap, though.

turtle
2012-04-17, 19:29
It could be a long corridor, but that's not normal for a subway.

Robo
2012-04-17, 20:05
I think that's a good spot for the station, though, if it works with Rowdy's bar. To me it makes more sense to plan a park around a building than plan a building around a park, especially when long underground tunnels are involved. Or else we could move the park to the other side of the bar, closer to the boathouse, maybe.

RowdyScot
2012-04-17, 22:42
It will work where it is. I've got the plans changed to accommodate it.

billybobsky
2012-04-18, 04:08
That line is going to be moved anyway.

So no biggie...

Bryson
2012-04-18, 09:11
Why? I thought we established that the mob trap didn't go that far.

billybobsky
2012-04-18, 10:05
Who established that?

It was an assumption based upon the fact that the line had already been built, which isn't at all relevant.

Bryson
2012-04-18, 10:21
This is where we established it:The short side of the trap will stretch between the back of the floating mob head to under the exchange (maybe underneath the sidewalk as well), and the long side will stretch from the far side of central park to under the river.

So, are you now saying that 709 was incorrect? No assumption on my part - my understanding was that these were the dimensions.

billybobsky
2012-04-18, 11:32
Ok. I didn't see that...

So plan ahead.

Artap99
2012-04-19, 13:11
I had an idea for a rail switcher that could lead away from the main lines without the need to stop or build a mini station. It needs a bit of cleaning up, but here is the basic idea. It is set up on an XOR switch to allow for both sides to be used for travel:

Riding one way, the block furthest away is lit to show where you will be going.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/6947930366_8745bb6c61_z.jpg

Hit the switch near you and the block closest to you lights up to let you know you will be turning.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5079/7093999625_1fefe331b9_z.jpg

And a here is an example implementation. The switches would need to be a bit further out and there would be some sort of signage to say where you are going, but this was more for illustration purposes.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/7094000529_33a0e78c2d_z.jpg

I have cleaned out the one I implemented, but the working blueprints are still available for view in the museum district. Any yays, nays, or ideas for improvement would be thoughtfully considered before being thrown out.

2012-04-19, 15:38
I am redstone-retard, so while it looks all good and sexy, I can't give an honest opinion either way. :/

billybobsky
2012-04-19, 16:36
Why not a chevron of redstone lanterns? (yay chevron!)... It might be nicer to be able to switch that at a point of origin especially as minecart usage is finicky.

Artap99
2012-04-20, 08:24
Why not a chevron of redstone lanterns? (yay chevron!)... It might be nicer to be able to switch that at a point of origin especially as minecart usage is finicky.

Well...if you can figure out a way to do it, then I am all for it.

Artap99
2012-04-21, 03:37
I have worked out a system for the switches for the subway, but managed to run into a problem.

Does anyone know how to use a button to turn off a redstone wire that is being powered by a lever? Is it possible?

Example: Riding a cart back to the left you ride over a pressure plate that activates a torch, switching the rails ahead of you when they are not properly aligned. When they are, it still activates the torch but the rails are already where they need to be.
Riding back to the right, I am looking to deactivate the torch in a way that will not activate it when the rails are already leading to the right.

Right now I have a piston set up to cut off the power, but it brings in too many variables.

billybobsky
2012-04-21, 04:59
you need a memory circuit (like t-flip flop) to use the state of the track in conjunction with a changing state of the buttons etc...

Artap99
2012-04-21, 13:47
I am not sure how that would work. Would you be able to show me an example that I can built on my above-ground blueprints near the museum?

Artap99
2012-04-21, 18:59
Aaaand I figured it out. Feel free to come by and visit. The transit switch to the museum line only costs two slimeballs this opening weekend.

Elysium
2012-04-22, 14:00
Substation of the north line needs to be moved. It is directly in the way of the recreation of SodHaus.

Moving it now.