PDA

View Full Version : Desktop wifi card?

Capella
2012-04-21, 15:34
I'm heading home for the summer and have run into a "how do I give my computer the internet?" dilemma. My bedroom is on the exact opposite side of the house from the one phone jack which will make DSL work, and thus my desktop will be about 90-100 feet away from the router. Since running ethernet cables that far would be ridiculous, I need to buy a wifi card for my Windows 7-running desktop. I have a free PCI slot to stick it in. I'd prefer to order from Newegg or Amazon and to have it not exceed $50. I know some of you have PC desktops or Hackintoshes, so I'm hoping someone has wifi-ed up a desktop recently and has some recs.

turtle
2012-04-21, 21:33
D-link is normally the least expensive for the quality. I personally like Linksys but Netgear is good too.

The problem you might run into is getting wifi 100' away. I hope the router is "N" rated and you will need an "N" card. This is heavily based on the number and thickness of the walls between the router and you though.

Dave
2012-04-22, 01:42
I'm heading home for the summer and have run into a "how do I give my computer the internet?" dilemma. My bedroom is on the exact opposite side of the house from the one phone jack which will make DSL work, and thus my desktop will be about 90-100 feet away from the router. Since running ethernet cables that far would be ridiculous, I need to buy a wifi card for my Windows 7-running desktop. I have a free PCI slot to stick it in. I'd prefer to order from Newegg or Amazon and to have it not exceed $50. I know some of you have PC desktops or Hackintoshes, so I'm hoping someone has wifi-ed up a desktop recently and has some recs.

A USB model might be cheaper, easier to install, and offer more flexibility in antenna(e) placement.

Capella
2012-04-22, 14:57
D-link is normally the least expensive for the quality. I personally like Linksys but Netgear is good too.

The problem you might run into is getting wifi 100' away. I hope the router is "N" rated and you will need an "N" card. This is heavily based on the number and thickness of the walls between the router and you though.

I can pick up wifi on my MacBook from that distance without a problem, so I'm hoping with a good enough card it'll work. The router is N.

A USB model might be cheaper, easier to install, and offer more flexibility in antenna(e) placement.

This is a good point, thank you!

Dave
2012-04-22, 18:27
This is a good point, thank you!
Emphasis should be placed on the word "might". I haven't looked into it at all in years.