PDA

View Full Version : New MBP

JohnnyTheA
2012-05-28, 18:47
Its time to replace my MBP. I have the old PowerBook design one and it is literally cracking up. Here is my question:

I don't care about getting the "latest and greatest" MBP so buying a refurb is perfectly okay with me. I have seen some pretty good deals for the 2010 models that have the 330M GPU for around $1300. I'd be happy with that. I am predicting that Apple will upgrade their MBP line during WWDC. Should I get a refurb now or wait until after WWDC?

JTA

psmith2.0
2012-05-28, 19:00
That's one of those questions that only you can answer...and you kinda already have! :D

1) You say you don't care about "getting the latest and greatest". Check!

2) You say you're okay with refurbs. Check!

3) You say you're even happy with the 2010-era models with the particular graphics they had, going for around $1,300. Check!

4) You seem well aware that the line will most likely be updated at WWDC, if not before. Check!

All those four, taken together, kinda point in an obvious direction to me.

You've got all the logical/factual stuff wrapped up and you're making a purchase decision based on those things (something many people never do).

Sounds to me like you're an ideal candidate for a refurb, and you're totally happy and cool with everything they offer. You just needed a push, and to maybe hear someone else say it?

So I am.

:)

Tech-wise, bear in mind that the new models will have the latest processors, and maybe better (cheaper) SSD options, improved battery and graphics performance and perhaps even USB 3.0, next-generation 802.11 and even higher-resolution displays. If none of those really make-or-break it for you, and it sounds like they don't, then a 2010 (or even current-gen, from 2011) refurb is what you want. Sounds like you're coming from a pretty old machine (if it's the older PowerBook G4 case with the silver keys, before they switched over to the Unibody design with the black accents), so yeah...you'd be stepping up no matter what.

If the thing it truly falling apart and usability is becoming an issue, you're the only one truly in a position to know how it's affecting your day-to-day usage and reliability. Most here know my stance on refurbs (it would take something truly extraordinary and/or me falling ass-first into a mountain of disposable cash for me to ever consider "buying new" again). I am Captain Refurb.

I even have the cape. :devil:

torifile
2012-05-28, 19:44
You didn't answer the essential question: do you *need* an MBP at all? You could get a top of the line MBA for $1300.

JohnnyTheA
2012-05-28, 20:15
You didn't answer the essential question: do you *need* an MBP at all? You could get a top of the line MBA for $1300.

No, I gotta have a MBP-15. The older I get, the more I like bigger monitors. You should see the dual 30" monitors I use at work. Also I want to play WoW, Diablo 3, and maybe Skyrim (via bootcamp) WITH a laptop on the couch. Something about sitting at a desk with a computer (like I do at work) seems stressful to do at home... WoW will probably play on anything unless they do some crazy update. Diablo 3 barely makes it on my current model MBP-15 with the 8600M GT. In fact, the Beta version of Diablo didn't list that version as being compatible at all. I guess the guys at Blizz did some optimization. They are pretty Mac friendly over there. The 15" has better GPUs than the 13". The 13", although being a great value, are basically unibody versions of the old non-pro MacBooks. Nothing wrong with that, I just usually want a little extra in the GPU dept. But the 15" is the real seller for me. Its just that $1800 for a laptop sounds like a LOT these days. Getting few hundred bucks off for getting the previous version of GPU sounds like a good deal to me....

JTA

torifile
2012-05-28, 20:18
Those are good reasons to get the MBP. Even though you said you don't need the top of the line/latest and greatest, if you wait until after WWDC the current models will drop in price further reducing the price of the refurbs you're seeing now.

thegeriatric
2012-05-28, 20:22
Whilst I totally agree with young Scates, Would it hurt to wait until after WWDC? then you can make an informed decision.

Or are you worried you might be tempted to go for a new/more expensive option..............In that case...................you have your answer. ;)

psmith2.0
2012-05-28, 20:50
As much as I recommend refurbs, I did forget to put my other "rules to live by" entry earlier: I never - ever, ever, no matter what - would make a purchase from Apple, less than 30 days before a major, known event (Macworld in the past, or WWDC or the spring iPad or fall iPhone event). Or in the 1-2 weeks between invites going out to a media event and the event itself.

So thegeriatric has it right (torifile too), and improves upon my initial reply...assuming you're able to squeeze a few more weeks out of it (if it's not falling apart that much), why not wait until WWDC?

There could be something released that is right up your alley at a price you can afford. And even if that isn't the case, any new releases are going to drive down the refurb prices, as torifile says. They aways do...it's a very safe bet. In the case of the entry-level iMacs, they drop from their usual current-gen refurb price of $999 down to $929. And $70 is $70! Also that number could be even higher on 15" MacBook Pros. So that's a case, extra RAM, a spare power supply for travel, a tank of gas, an evening out, etc. :)

In a nutshell...I wouldn't make a $1,000+ purchase this close to something like WWDC if I didn't absolutely have to.

NOTE: it just hit me a few moments ago that it had somehow already turned May 28(!) and that WWDC is a mere two weeks away. Short of a complete system crap-out (with actual work hanging in the balance), I'd tough it out 14 more days...just to see what shakes out.

JohnnyTheA
2012-05-29, 00:14
Yea, I will wait it out. They might end up dropping the prices or, more likely, come out with some sort of laptops with laser beams or something.

In the mean time, I have this ->http://37prime.com/news/2011/09/27/repairing-a-macbook-pro/

on both sides.... I'm propping up the display on a pillow. If it starts to fall I hear a cracking noise and the main part of the laptop also starts to separate...