PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitor setup for Mac Mini

turtle
2012-07-28, 23:26
So there is a pretty good chance that if I buy my own Mac I can use it at work. As long as they don't say I can't keep it when I leave I'll likely take this option. So with that in mind I'd like to get a Mac Mini and use two monitors with it. The monitors are Dell and DVI/VGA. So how can I hook up the Mini to the two monitors? I'm going for least expensive since I can't get my job to pay for that.

Wyatt
2012-07-29, 04:07
The mini comes with one HDMI to DVI adapter, so you'll use it to hook up one of them. For the second, buy a Mini Display Port to DVI adapter ($29 from Apple, but the generic ones at Monoprice.com are pretty well reviewed). This works with both Mini Display Port-equipped Macs and Thunderbolt-equipped Macs like the current-gen Mac Mini.

[Update]
Here's a link to the generic adapter. I typed this up in a hurry this morning while my wife was feeding our son, then promptly went back to bed without hunting down a link. :p

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2

turtle
2012-07-29, 10:51
That is perfect, thank you.

I actually Googled around but sifting through old links and such was just getting old. I knew someone on here had to know with relative ease.

Capella
2012-07-29, 10:53
I own 3 monoprice mini DP adapters and they work fine. Seconding rec.

hflomberg
2012-07-29, 18:14
I have two monitors on my mac mini. It works great

Brad
2012-07-29, 18:17
Two monitors on my Mac mini at work, too. One uses HDMI-to-DVI and the other uses Mini-DP-to-DVI. No problems at all.

turtle
2012-08-18, 13:23
So I got approval to use a personal owned Mini at work. I've already order it and the Mini Display Port to DVI cable too (from monoprice.com)! Mini will be here in a bit as I got a deal with the refurb store.

So I'm looking forward to using my Mac at work now! :D

turtle
2012-08-27, 20:31
It is done! I now have a current generation Mac mini connected to two monitors for work. I bumped it up to 10GB of RAM and the rest is stock. I'm using a monoprice.com ordered mini-DP to DVI to one monitor and the HDMI -> DVI -> DVI cable set up that comes with the computer.

This is so good. I even have one monitor turned portrait style and the Mini handles it like a champ. Even lets me align the hight of them so the pointer travels right into the other monitor at the same spot. Very well done. Oh, and the monitors are different resolutions too. I'll try to post a pic of my desktop at work some time.