PDA

View Full Version : A different solution for spammers

Ebby
2005-01-26, 19:03
OK, only minuets after the last banning, I thought of this crafty idea that may solve this problem. I think we had this functionality before, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

My understanding of ignore lists is that certain posts by certain people are excluded when viewing a topic. What we would need is a system-wide ignore list controlled by the Admins. It may not sound like a big improvement over banning, but spammers would post and think they are reaching everyone when they actually are not. Therefore the spammer would not threaten to create a new account because they would think their post is still up. Also, it will remove all those annoying off topic tangents hijacking legitimate posts.

Just my $0.02 :\

Luca
2005-01-26, 19:07
A fairly good suggestion, but I think they'd figure it out pretty quick. Besides, it's annoying having them around anyway.

We can do IP bans, we can censor words, and we can ban accounts. I think we'll be able to handle it. I doubt a spammer will stick around long enough to get through all that; if they encounter a lot of resistance it's easier for them to move on to a different forum and set up a new account there rather than try to get around our bans.

Brad
2005-01-26, 19:10
What we would need is a system-wide ignore list controlled by the Admins.
Actually, we already have this and have used it a couple times. :)

Ryan
2005-01-26, 19:45
Couldn't you add a something in big red text on the registration page that says something along the lines of "Free iPod and Mac mini threads will be locked and you will be banned. You have been warned."?

Paul
2005-01-26, 19:57
T&A comes to mind... never did find out why he was blocked...

LoCash
2005-01-26, 20:10
T&A was placed on the ignore list because he was just plain being a dick one day. I took him off the global ignore list after his posts started to get cleaner. I don't think he ever realized that he was being ignored, actually.

Luca
2005-01-26, 20:14
T&A comes to mind... never did find out why he was blocked...
Go back and read some of his posts. His first post criticized our layout, and when we defended it, he said we were being rude and not listening. A good number of his posts have been non-constructive criticism of the forums and the people running them, and he expects his suggestions to be acted upon and throws fits if they are not.

And yes, like LoCash said, we unblocked him once he cleaned it up a bit. We try to listen to suggestions for changes in the forum layout but we're pretty happy with how it is and we simply can't be expected to change things because one or two people think we should.

torifile
2005-01-26, 22:08
T&A was placed on the ignore list because he was just plain being a dick one day. I took him off the global ignore list after his posts started to get cleaner. I don't think he ever realized that he was being ignored, actually.
That's pretty f'ing funny actually. I would have loved to know what he was thinking when he never got ANY responses to his posts.

That just cracks me up...

nomorewindows
2005-01-26, 22:19
That's pretty f'ing funny actually. I would have loved to know what he was thinking when he never got ANY responses to his posts.

That just cracks me up...

This sounds like when your spouse is talking and you don't really want to hear what they have to say, so you nod your head and pretend you're listening. :lol:

I am glad, however, that admin is paying attention. I've said before that I wouldn't want to see babysitters here, but spammers don't need babysitters. They need duct tape. Oops! I forgot to be nice.

kretara
2005-01-26, 22:24
This sounds like when your spouse is talking and you don't really want to hear what they have to say, so you nod your head and pretend you're listening. :lol:

Damn, you beat me to it. I was typing much the same out in one window while refreshing the thread in another. Damn you! ;)

nomorewindows
2005-01-27, 20:16
Damn, you beat me to it. I was typing much the same out in one window while refreshing the thread in another. Damn you! ;)

I'm sorry. Did you say something? :D

WBG4
2005-02-14, 16:09
Actually, we already have this and have used it a couple times. :) Yea and if you would let me post i would appreciate it :grumble:

thuh Freak
2005-02-14, 16:32
Yea and if you would let me post i would appreciate it :grumble:
i see you.

DMBand0026
2005-02-15, 14:45
I don't.

And for the record, no one took away your ability to post, they just gave us the pleasure of not having to read them for a while :)

WBG4
2005-03-04, 16:57
Yea well i cleaned up and so can i have that back or should i just register a new name?

Brad
2005-03-04, 17:42
T&A, I have no idea what you're talking about. What do you want back? You've been off the ignore list for several weeks.

WBG4
2005-03-04, 17:59
Hmmmm then why can't people see me? :\

murbot
2005-03-04, 18:21
Who said that?

Brad
2005-03-04, 18:59
If someone can't see you, it means they've put you on their own personal ignore list.