PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Entry for Home - thoughts/anyone have this?

zippy
2012-08-29, 12:55
Does anyone out there have a keyless entry system for home? Quick looking online shows both mechanical and electric (via battery and possible wired). I'm debating switching our front doorknob to one of these instead of keys for the kids. I'm pretty sure they can't find the last keys I made for them - though they didn't have as much need for them as they will now. I just don't know if these keyless entry systems are reliable, easy to program, etc..

Any experiences out there?

Mugge
2012-08-29, 13:34
I don't have any specific knowledge of such things, but one of my colleagues back in the army was pretty good at guessing the combination for numeric keyboard locks simply by looking at which four or less buttons that showed signs of use and then going though the possible combinations. If he could do that I'm sure a burglar could easily do the same unless said burglar is an utter crack-head. So I'd suggest avoiding simple numeric locks with four digit codes.

zippy
2012-08-29, 14:56
Yeah, I can see that being a problem if the build quality isn't all that good: numbers that rub off/show wear, or buttons that start to look loose.

Ideally, such a device would allow for at least 6 digit codes, and variable lengths from 4 to 8 would be best. Plus, they should be easily changeable so that button wear would be less of a concern. Also, if everyone in the same house has a different code, then the wear and tear would be spread amongst the buttons.

Maybe, I could just always press in a random, incorrect combo before pressing the actual combo.:D

jdcfsu
2012-08-29, 15:01
I've got one of these (http://www.kwikset.com/Products/Styles/SmartCode-Deadbolts.aspx) on the door from my garage to house. I always wonder if the buttons will show signs of wear, but I honestly don't use it all that often (I don't park in the garage) and so the buttons still look fairly new. You can actually set two codes on this, which is nice, so I can keep one for us and give one to the cleaner, etc if we ever wanted to. They also make a model that connects to a wireless network, but I didn't get that fancy.

alcimedes
2012-08-29, 15:22
I got one that's four numbers on rotating cylinders. It's brass, and pretty tough. We use it to keep the deck locked so the kids can't go down to the pool unless someone puts the combination in.

zippy
2012-08-29, 15:32
I've got one of these (http://www.kwikset.com/Products/Styles/SmartCode-Deadbolts.aspx) on the door from my garage to house. I always wonder if the buttons will show signs of wear, but I honestly don't use it all that often (I don't park in the garage) and so the buttons still look fairly new. You can actually set two codes on this, which is nice, so I can keep one for us and give one to the cleaner, etc if we ever wanted to. They also make a model that connects to a wireless network, but I didn't get that fancy.

Is it limited to 4-digit codes? How easy is it to change codes?

zippy
2012-08-29, 15:39
I got one that's four numbers on rotating cylinders. It's brass, and pretty tough. We use it to keep the deck locked so the kids can't go down to the pool unless someone puts the combination in.

I've seen something like that for padlocks, or hide-a-key devices, but so far I haven't seen any integrated into a doorknob or deadbolt. I think the biggest shortcoming on something like that would be that you could only set one combination, and changing the combo would require adjusting the tumblers (I think).

Dave
2012-08-29, 16:00
I'll install a keyless entry system for my house when they invent un-hackable network security.

zippy
2012-08-29, 17:36
I'll install a keyless entry system for my house when they invent un-hackable network security.

I'm not looking at networked keyless entry. Just some kind of stand alone push button unit. Something like this:
http://consumer.schlage.com/PublishingImages/218x218/FE595CAM619ACC_218.jpg

As 'fun' as networked home security sounds, I agree that the potential weakness is too great.

jdcfsu
2012-08-29, 19:09
Is it limited to 4-digit codes? How easy is it to change codes?

Pretty simple. You take the inside off and hit a button or two and then set your code on the outside with the keypad. It's pretty simple should you need to do it.

We have the kwikset actual keys on the rest of the doors which let us rekey the house easily as well. I like these guys' stuff.