PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft News General Discussion

drewprops
2012-09-23, 18:11
I don't think there's a thread to talk about general MC stuff like upcoming builds or noteworthy news involving the game.

Here's one:

My FB friend Wes is about to record the 100th episode of The Shaft, and their guest is Notch!

Dead Worker's Party
www.twitch.tv

billybobsky
2012-09-24, 04:59
Control blocks!

2012-09-24, 18:08
I'm slightly bummed that we won't get potatoes, carrots, beacons, new meanies, etc. in the Tekkit world, but goddamn if Tekkit doesn't make up for that shit in spades.

At least the Mojang team is focusing on blocks that wouldn't require a new world. That shit is annoying, to say the least.

2012-09-24, 18:26
Control blocks!Pheh. Bobsky, with Tekkit, you can drain entire oceans, set the sky on fire, make rayguns that will obliterate everything in your path.... and TNT? HAH. Small thinking. ;) :|

In short, everything bobsky. Thank the fucking gods you don't have internet yet. :p

drewprops
2012-09-24, 18:37
DIRT SLABS!!!! (the extent of my Tekkit prowess)

drewprops
2013-01-30, 01:45
Woah!!!!! Game of Thrones meets Minecraft!!!! (http://kotaku.com/5980099/sweet-mother-of-dragons-get-a-load-of-kings-landing-recreated-in-minecraft)

RowdyScot
2013-01-31, 02:00
I've been watching YT vids of friends playing through Feed The Beast. Dare I say, Tekkit seems tame. And it has all the updates before the RS stuff from vanilla (so it has carrots, potatoes, etc), but maintains RedPower as one of the mods to do pretty much the same stuff. It keeps IC2 as well, but the other mods are rather intriguing. It also has tougher mobs in it, and a magic system that is actually balanced as opposed to the obscene power of EE.

Bryson
2013-01-31, 15:31
FTB looks really interesting. Is there a good summary in a youtube video you can recommend? All I see are episodic 45-minutes "let's play" videos.

RowdyScot
2013-01-31, 16:33
I haven't found any good summary vids, but one of the guys doing an LP is planning a tutorial series in the next couple of weeks.

2013-01-31, 16:41
I love the additional biomes. Very cool.

Elysium
2013-02-02, 12:49
I like the FTB Magic World Mod Pack. Extra biomes, ores, and limited tech stuff.

billybobsky
2013-02-04, 12:35
minecraft!!!!!!

Brad
2013-02-04, 20:59
Yeah. So, Minecraft indeed!

I spent a few minutes over the weekend playing with Tekkit Lite and Feed-the-Beast. I haven't decided which modpack I think will work best for us, but it's on my mind and I figured I'd mention that I am evaluating them.

Whichever one we choose, it'll mean rebooting the world again. The Tekkit Classic stuff is indeed incompatible with Tekkit Lite and the various FTB mod packs. Much of the overpowered Equivalent Exchange alchemy stuff like condensors and collectors are gone from the newer version of that mod. The other mods have added lots of new items, and of course, there are the new features added by the core Minecraft 1.3.x and 1.4.x releases that have been ahead of Tekkit.

Also, whichever option we move to means giving up on Bukkit and any of the server-side mods that it provided. We haven't been using much of them lately anyway; so, that's not a huge loss.

Brad
2013-02-04, 21:02
Also, no Bukkit means no copy-and-paste or structures and no multi-world warping. So, we finally have to bid our old worlds and their structures good-bye.

RowdyScot
2013-02-04, 21:13
Hrmm...I'm okay with the Bukkit loss, but if the old maps could be up for download, that would be nice to reminisce in SSP. I suppose I'm fine with either direction, but FTB from what I've played with goes way beyond Tekkit. I want me a giant pine forest. :D And I mean the super-huge mega pines! :D :D :D The one I've seen the most of is the direwolf20 pack, but I've watched a bit on the others, too. I haven't seen any LP really dive in and get far enough to showcase the differences between them yet.

Bryson
2013-02-04, 21:16
I think people just need to accept that Minecraft structures and resources aren't forever. They're just for as long as that "revision" of the world lasts. Nothing recreates that feeling of a new, fresh world, fresh geography, fresh resources. Let's do that again.

RowdyScot
2013-02-04, 21:20
Agreed. Frankly, many of my old structures would be far better with micro blocks, anyway. And yes, I've heavily considered what to make from Zelda for the next world.

2013-02-04, 21:22
Also, no Bukkit means no copy-and-paste or structures and no multi-world warping. So, we finally have to bid our old worlds and their structures good-bye.I know we've talked about this a few times in-game, but I'd be willing to host the old game files as .zips on my server for a few months until everyone has downloaded them. I have selfish reasons (I really want to document our and mine progress via screenshots). Before you get rid of anything, please share those files with me before you delete them. There's lots of memories there.

RowdyScot
2013-02-04, 21:25
I know we've talked about this a few times in-game, but I'd be willing to host the old game files as .zips on my server for a few months until everyone has downloaded them. I have selfish reasons (I really want to document our and mine progress via screenshots). Before you get rid of anything, please share those files with me before you delete them. There's lots of memories there.

Yes. This.

Brad
2013-02-04, 23:29
Too late! I've been dropping nukes like Wayne Brady drops rhymes! KABOOM :lol:

I have backups named:

bridgeport
sedona
loch green
cactuar
world5
tekkit (still updating)

Brad
2013-02-04, 23:32
That said, what are people's thoughts on the Large Biomes option? This makes each biome much larger and is totally compatible with the ExtrabiomesXL mod.

I just spent some time exploring a Large BIome world, and I think it's a nice change! The biomes are big enough that you won't get bored by any one area being too small, and they add a scale to the world that makes nether travel much more beneficial/necessary.

Stevuh
2013-02-04, 23:36
Has Anyone else looked into DivineRPG? It seems to be much more based around adventuring and includes multiple dimensions other than the end and nether. Captainsparklz has been doing a modded survival series including this and one other mod that escapes me so far. Looks like lots of content new mobs, weapons, armors, and all kinds of other stuff. Might be fun for a new world.

2013-02-04, 23:44
That said, what are people's thoughts on the Large Biomes option? This makes each biome much larger and is totally compatible with the ExtrabiomesXL mod.

I just spent some time exploring a Large BIome world, and I think it's a nice change! The biomes are big enough that you won't get bored by any one area being too small, and they add a scale to the world that makes nether travel much more beneficial/necessary. I love them. I've always thought that the stock biomes were way too small. Give me a desert (or wasteland, whatever) - I need my mouth parched and my mind delusional. ;) :D

Brad
2013-02-04, 23:58
Hmm… DivineRPG looks interesting. Since it's a Forge mod, it might be possible to install it alongside one of the FTB packs, too.

Though, I'm afraid it's too late to make suggestions, Stevuh. We've already chosen our modpack:

http://i.imgur.com/VXMQF.png

RowdyScot
2013-02-05, 00:13
Sonic will be THRILLED! Not this guy, though.

EDIT: Also, yes, Large Biomes would be excellent. :D

EDIT 2: Please, for FSM's sake, don't install the MLP mod. O_o

ThunderPoit
2013-02-05, 08:12
Gah! ponies everywhere! Quick, get some fire!

Stevuh
2013-02-05, 13:23
HA!

On a more relevant topic, I also like the idea of large biomes. Gives us more room to spread out in an area with out some people getting stuck in a different biome. At least in theory.

Although thoughts of terraforming a desert in large biomes makes me want to cry.

drewprops
2013-02-05, 18:47
I want the safety of torches.

Not torch songs.

Could we have a Voltron mod?

Or a playboy bunny mod?
(or playgirl, for Robo & Rowdy)

SonicZeHedgehog
2013-02-05, 19:27
Well, playboy and playgirl aren't ponies. 'Nuff said :)

SonicZeHedgehog
2013-02-05, 19:28
I've already got my list of things to do made out:
• Build a gigantic Derpy Hooves (possibly a giant muffin as well)
• Build Canterlot Castle
• Pixel art a Zelda-MLP crossover on the side of a building (this one is for you, Rowdy) :devil:

2013-02-05, 22:27
I think people just need to accept that Minecraft structures and resources aren't forever. They're just for as long as that "revision" of the world lasts.True. I love to build big things, but it takes so much time gathering resources that by the time I'm half-way through a project the world gets yanked. It's a sad thing, but something that needs to be planned for.

On the other hand, what fun is it to build a bunch of small stuff just because the world will be burned down eventually?

I really like building community stuff like the trashcan-treefarm and such. I know others like to have their own in basements or whatever, but what I'd really like are actual community things that everyone uses.

The individual stuff is great and fun, but it's overlap, honestly. I'd like to see a new community building and farming together. That's kind've always been my dream, and probably why I've built all these community structures in every world we've been in.

I don't know why it's never stuck, honestly. I thought it would be the most logical thing ever - especially in MC - to have a small city of farming structures that we all used.

No biggie. I understand that people may need a shit-ton of one specific thing or a basement full of duckens for themselves (wtf?) :D, but to me it kind've defeats the purpose of playing a game with one another. Why hide farms underground? Let's put all that shit topside and let everyone and anyone take part.

drewprops
2013-02-05, 23:08
Some of us are afraid to venture far from our homes at night ;)

::shiver::

billybobsky
2013-02-06, 06:17
i like the community stuff as well... and obviously have let my larger projects languish in the past because of it... *ahem* sky ranch *ahem*...

RowdyScot
2013-02-07, 02:32
You know, I'd really like to try having using more community-based stuff like that in the next world. I haven't done a giant project in several worlds now - not for a lack of wanting to, but for a lack of energy and too huge of plans (exactly what my next problem will be, LOL). I do have a massive plan, however. It's been in development since we got Tekkit and the micro blocks Redpower allows. Brad and Robo will be ecstatic when I get to build it, assuming Robo rejoins us at some point. It *will* require Redpower to build, however.

Brad
2013-02-08, 21:03
After doing some tests at home this week, I think Feed the Beast (probably using the Direwolf20 mod pack) is the way for us to go now. It has most of the stuff from Tekkit, adds even more stuff (some of it quite useless and just "for looks" for now, though), and should in theory perform better on the client-side since it is based on a newer version of Minecraft. I tried the nether recently, and it doesn't bog down at all like it does/did with tekkit. I'll start working on setting up the server tonight and documenting the client setup process for you guys.

As for the community topic, gerlocian and I have been talking offline again about what we could do about the new world. I think the idea for Technopolis was a good premise, but it was flawed from the start because the town structure greatly limits the amount of mining, exploration, and creation that any individual can do in the area. That kills a lot of the fun in the game. What we need is breathing room for everyone to stretch out yet still find something to help weave a cohesive community.

So, here are my thoughts for the next world to come. Think back to the Bridgeport glory days. I think that part of what made BP successful wasn't necessarily that we had a central town, which we've since tried and failed to get working well in the last few worlds, but that we mostly all sprawled out to explore on our own and then connected back to each other using the skyway network. I would like to recreate that kind of environment, but we should add a few rules to foster community projects.

First, I would suggest we immediately split up and fan out across the new world after creating a simple "safe house" at spawn. Pick a direction, and go! Once you find a place where you'd like to settle down, clear some trees and land, build your first home, and get to work on the essentials. After establishing yourself, if you decide that the area works for you, build your section of skyway back to spawn! This way, spawn becomes a central hub to connect us all, but no one individual is responsible for designing and building the connections between us. For the skyway, we'd need to agree on a width and height, but the rest is up to you (construction materials, onramp stairs vs ladders vs teleporters, etc). Eventually, spawn would grow to have more buildings than just the safe house, and the skyway network would connect us back to them, but now I'm getting ahead of myself.

Second, I'm glad that 709 pointed out how everybody has had little farms in their basements. I agree that those are partly to blame for other community projects never taking off. If you don't have to return to the surface to get food or fuel or other renewable resources, why would you bother trekking far away from your house for them? So, we should institute a ban on personal farms. No animal farms, no tree farms, and no crop farms! Instead, all farms have to be community-driven from the central spawn area. You take some, and you replant and breed to replace what you took. To get everyone started so you don't starve before the farms appear, I'll magic in and divvy up a starter supply of melons for everyone to have. You're allowed a small subsistence farm of 8 melons at your home, but please no more! The community farming will only work if we all participate.

Third, as we set up the structures around the spawn hub, we should set up trading posts or stores in the hub town. I don't think we need to set up official structures early on, nor do I think we should all be forced into sharing a single community exchange building. With the newer mod packs, resources like diamonds will become precious again now that we won't have alchemical magic to create resources out of nothing. An interesting machine block that we haven't really used yet is the Trade-O-Mat (http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Trade-O-Mat). If you have something to sell, hook it up to a Trade-O-Mat and name your price. It works without any supervision as long as there are resources to sell from the adjacent chest! If the Trade-O-Mat isn't your thing, you could do old-fashioned trades or just donate resources to a common pool. Maybe this would finally get a community economy going?

What are your thoughts on these proposals? Do you like them? Do you think they would work? Would you be willing to try them for a while?

drewprops
2013-02-08, 21:43
So a subsistence patch of melons and wheat counts as a "farm"?

I want my own patch, for when it's raining or I don't want to take a long trip back to Spawn.... a ban on personal patches is too "nanny" for me.

Animal farms? Sure, wouldn't bother me if one person wants to specialize.

#lightplayer

2013-02-08, 21:45
I'm totally down with this idea. I miss the skywalks in BP probably more than anything.

One tiny amendment to the personal farm thing though. I think we should each be able to have a farm of 8 or so melons. Just in case the hunger kicks in and you need a quick bite. 8 would give about 3/4 of a stack, and that's more than enough to keep going if you're working on a project or until you get back to spawn for the goods.

I think the "single-person managed" farms may be problematic in that sometimes players may be gone for an extended amount of time, so that particular item may not get back to spawn for a while. If all the farms are near spawn, anyone can harvest, put extras in chests and replant. The ANMC CO-OP! :D

gerlocian
2013-02-08, 22:01
I like the co-op idea. One farm where you take what you need, but you are responsible for replanting for the next person.

Brad
2013-02-08, 22:42
I think the "single-person managed" farms may be problematic in that sometimes players may be gone for an extended amount of time, so that particular item may not get back to spawn for a while. If all the farms are near spawn, anyone can harvest, put extras in chests and replant. The ANMC CO-OP! :D
Very good point. Community-only farms it is! I'll amend that post.

I want my own patch, for when it's raining or I don't want to take a long trip back to Spawn....
I think we should each be able to have a farm of 8 or so melons. Just in case the hunger kicks in and you need a quick bite.
Fair points. Let's say you can farm 8 melon patches, but no more. :)

Elysium
2013-02-08, 22:44
And a small tree farm once you are way out and need wood/charcoal/etc. to get your skyway up and running.

drewprops
2013-02-08, 22:50
Agree. You can't get stuff done in the outback if you have to keep going to town. (patch of 8 means 8 squares, right?)

turtle
2013-02-08, 23:11
My only concern about spawn being the source of food (other than wild kills I assume) is that someone needs to be there for the chunk to be active.

Loving the overall plan though! Skyways and Nether walks will be great.

Also, when we switch over to the new player, please post all the links and guides as needed. I'm not able to play a whole lot as of right now just because life has been that way. This means researching before I play is less fun resulting in less play. :\

drewprops
2013-02-08, 23:54
He's too busy breaking phones these days :p

gerlocian
2013-02-09, 01:25
I see the server up again, but it won't let me connect. I'll try again tomorrow.

RowdyScot
2013-02-09, 01:39
Immediate question coming to mind regarding the proposed model - are teleporters banned, then? Nobody will be anywhere close to powering one for a good while, but once they are realistic, do we ban them on the premise of making the Skyway be used?

gerlocian
2013-02-09, 08:26
I don't think we should ban them. Like you said, it will be a while before we get them up and running, and the skyway would not suffer. I think we could convert the skyway with a rail system and I imagine that some people could choose a preferred travel option. I like the idea of riding a minecart most of the time, with the option of teleportation in an emergency.

2013-02-09, 13:48
I'll take the job of building a treefarm again if nobody minds. :)

There's a bunch of new trees, but from what I can gather the wood isn't craftable into any new colored planks. The Fir, Redwood and Acacia blocks are kind've neat looking if used as a building block though. I am curious what color planks each will generate.

I like the concept of the trashcan, but I think I may adapt it a bit and go square instead of circular (maybe), plus I'm going to start the farm at bedrock level so the first 7 tiers are underground. Still open in the center for tall jungle trees, and possibly a second center level for redwoods. It'll still probably stick up above the ground ~30 blocks or so, but at least it won't be so looming.

The 4 autumn trees I think I'll just give one level (or two). The wood looks to be the same as oak so the only value of those would be saplings for people that wanted to plant some colorful trees around their house or grab the leaves for some nicely colored shrubbery. I'll probably take the Oak down from 3 to 2 levels too, depending on how close together the Autumn trees are able to be planted.

[edit]: So I just did a couple of quick sketches and I think by expanding the farming rows by 6 blocks I can actually decrease the size of the structure (slightly) if I go with a square-ish build. So instead of 19 plantable blocks per planting strip I'm going with 25, and that way I can decrease the amount of levels for each tree. In an ideal world everything would be below ground except for the Redwoods and fir (and maybe a center giant rubber tree), so I'm hoping that I can do that. I may have to build on a hill. :D

I think I may even do only 1 level (4 planting strips) of Oak. That's 100 trees, and at a minimum of 4 tree-blocks a pop that's a shit-ton of potentially craftable loot. I'll probably make that the level closest to bedrock though, as it's more of a harvesting-resource than the more valuable trees for crafting colored planks.

It'll take some testing to see how Autumn trees grow, but I assume they'll grow as tightly together as Oak given that they're just Oak trees with fancy leaves. Acacia I'm assuming needs 1 space between plantings like Birch does.

2013-02-09, 16:08
One other thing, now that I'm thinking about it: Obviously people are going to be scrambling for sand and redrock in the new world right off the bat. I'd like to suggest setting up mines at the very edge of the discovered biomes just in case someone wants to live in the same biome. I for one don't want to live next to a factory, so I would set up my house on the other farthest edge away from the strip-mines (if I decided a desert was my thing this time).

With the large biomes I think this is feasible, but I still wanted to put that out there before we all get all rapey. There's nothing uglier than a land stripped to stone, so I think we should all be on top of this.

drewprops
2013-02-09, 21:07
Love
- new world excitement
- stripmines (drew loves teh glass)
- skywalks like in good old BP

Would like, if these aren't a server load:
- watermelon (done)
- 3 to 4 basement trees
- 6 to 9 squares of wheat

As far as the world?

I vote for vanilla.

Mostly because I'd love to see how the newest version plays in multi-player.

hearts to all, regardless

drewprops
2013-02-09, 22:26
Okay, I just played Minecraft 1.4.x.7 and dug ALL THE WAY DOWN TO BEDROCK.

Believe it or not.

Didn't hit a single pocket of monsters or water or lava.
I consider this to be a success.

ALSO!!!

Grey, I was in game with Dellphi and he removed redwire that lit up your lighthouse to see if that was a problem (knowing that Brad was doing superscale problem solving).... he asked me to mention it here, but acknowledged that it didn't really matter because the world will be changing soon.

RowdyScot
2013-02-09, 22:50
One other thing, now that I'm thinking about it: Obviously people are going to be scrambling for sand and redrock in the new world right off the bat. I'd like to suggest setting up mines at the very edge of the discovered biomes just in case someone wants to live in the same biome. I for one don't want to live next to a factory, so I would set up my house on the other farthest edge away from the strip-mines (if I decided a desert was my thing this time).

With the large biomes I think this is feasible, but I still wanted to put that out there before we all get all rapey. There's nothing uglier than a land stripped to stone, so I think we should all be on top of this.

Agreed. I think spreading out a bit may help alleviate some of those issues, too, but certainly agreed.

Brad
2013-02-10, 03:38
Agreed. I think spreading out a bit may help alleviate some of those issues, too, but certainly agreed.

Do not underestimate the size of the large biomes! If Grey were to set up in the nearest desert, the second-nearest may be a long distance away. In the experimentation I've been doing locally, some seed have generated zero deserts in the ~1000-block radius around spawn that I explored.

Brad
2013-02-10, 03:40
Grey, I was in game with Dellphi and he removed redwire that lit up your lighthouse to see if that was a problem (knowing that Brad was doing superscale problem solving).... he asked me to mention it here, but acknowledged that it didn't really matter because the world will be changing soon.
For what it's worth, Grey's lighthouse probably contributes zilch to the performance issue when compared to the other devices in town. Take a look at the cobble factory under Turtle's house, for instance. ;)

turtle
2013-02-10, 11:59
For what it's worth, Grey's lighthouse probably contributes zilch to the performance issue when compared to the other devices in town. Take a look at the cobble factory under Turtle's house, for instance. ;)

Oh yeah, that is a drop generating machine! I can turn it off too for testing if you'd like. I'll do it right now.

RowdyScot
2013-02-10, 19:45
Turn mine of to check, too, if you need.

Elysium
2013-02-10, 22:23
Just for craps and giggles, you may want to ping Lenny's outgoing connection. FiOS had some severe intermittent DNS issues here the last month.

turtle
2013-02-10, 22:40
I use OpenDNS for that so it's not a DNS issue. Plus, that would only impact the lookup for logging in, not using the service. Thanks for an idea to check though!

Robo
2013-02-10, 23:37
So, when are we going to get a new world? I'd like to hop back in then, if work permits.

RowdyScot
2013-02-11, 00:44
We're patiently waiting on Brad and Turtle, both of whom are working as hard as they can to figure out what some of the current issues plaguing the server are. Once those issues are solved, we'll likely get a new world. :)

In the meantime, I've been working on a world in SSP with Feed The Beast Direwolf20. Found a frozen redwood biome. LURVE.

Foj
2013-04-16, 10:44
Was a guest on a friend's stream last night and I showed her around my place on the MC server we're both part of. :) It goes on for the first 20 minutes of the stream. Lot's of goofing. :p

http://www.twitch.tv/honneyplay/b/391474431

drewprops
2013-05-07, 00:03
Mario 64, Minecraft style! (http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/you-will-not-believe-this-full-mario-64-built-in-minecraft)

drewprops
2013-08-23, 03:22
This guy replaced ALL the sounds in MC with his own voice.

This is the link to the hysterical video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGPpMmXmxH0)

drewprops
2014-01-18, 13:58
So I saw this thread on reddit...

Please don't get rid of the Automatic aspect of Minecraft, Mojang. (http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/1viupt/please_dont_get_rid_of_the_automatic_aspect_of/)

...what's the scoop? Are they really trying to eliminate this stuff?

billybobsky
2014-01-18, 14:42
Short answer: no.

Long answer: they are fixing bugs. But not just any old bugs, obvious bugs that everyone with any sense knew to avoid using -- the beauty that was the original minecart boosters were so buggy that you could cause a server crash if you over used the boost giving your minecart essentially 'infinite' energy. It's one of the reasons why I am very careful with my redstone creations, too often when I was building circuits at bridgeport I would rely on a quirk that was clearly an unintended behavior. Subsequent circuits/automation are very clearly within the 'normal' parameters of minecraft.

I think the problem comes from Notch's initial knee jerk reactions against certain types of automation -- when he was still developing, he went out of his way to kill mob farms many many different times. But that perspective changed with Jeb and Dinnerbone -- mob farms became more resource intensive to build, but they realized at some point you need to stop punishing players who want to build in survival, and allow 'character'/resource progression.

So no, automation is not going away. The charcoal generator will still generate charcoal, the mob trap will still kill mobs (unless they decide on an utterly different mob spawning algorithm, but that honestly is unlikely as it hasn't changed that much since 1.0), your farms and hoppers and snow golem farms will likely continue to work. Caveat: snow golem farm might fail if golems do not 'snow' blocks they are not immediately touching, but it is a minor change, the fundamentals will still work.

drewprops
2014-03-14, 10:40
A prototype custom world builder. (http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/20eecb/twitter_themogminer_prototype_custom_world/)

billybobsky
2014-03-14, 11:35
Yawn. But wait, scroll down on TheMogMiner's twitter feed and blocks are becoming models that can be replaced in the resource pack. Man holy, batshit! We could actually have buildings with proper three dimensional textures without having to go to multiblock depths...

kscherer
2014-03-25, 21:26
LOLZ (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/03/25/persson-creeped-out)

Glad to hear the MC folks aren't dumb enough to follow. :lol:

drewprops
2014-04-08, 08:02
The system, is down.

http://i.imgur.com/BCp72AU.png

Brad
2014-04-08, 09:13
Much respect to the guys at Mojang. The "heartbleed" exploit/bug only became public ~24 hours ago and they're already patching their servers? Nice.

For any nerds in the room who would like to know more, see:

https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-0160
http://heartbleed.com/
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1084875

drewprops
2014-04-08, 09:57
I went and read up on it and almost posted in the Programming thread. Much of it is, in practice, well beyond my expertise - but I understand it. First thing I did was to find the "test page" somebody made where you can test various websites. Looks like banks and financial institutions are on top of things already.

Am I correct in noting that Cloudflare is responsible for letting the cat out of the bag (https://blog.cloudflare.com/staying-ahead-of-openssl-vulnerabilities)first?

billybobsky
2014-04-08, 10:09
No. They cite another announcement (from the OpenSSL developers) on that page...

drewprops
2014-04-08, 10:27
Nope, wait, look.

Here's the ZDNet article (http://www.zdnet.com/heartbleed-serious-openssl-zero-day-vulnerability-revealed-7000028166/), and the specific quote from that article:

That's bad enough. but what really has some operating system and security companies ticked is that OpenSSL and others were hard at work at delivering the patched versions that would have limited the problem's possible use by blackhat hackers, CloudFlare, a Web security company, revealed in a blog posting details about the security hole and that they've fixed the bug. They appear to have used the methods described by OpenSSL. Unfortunately, for everyone else, these methods were not ready for broad deployment.

So Cloudflare DID apparently break the news to a wider audience, as it were.

billybobsky
2014-04-08, 11:11
To be fully robust here: I am not sure your interpretation meets both the evidence at hand (the citation within the blog post), and the textual statements you cite as evidence that they dropped the bombshell -- that CloudFlare 'revealed... details about the security hole and that they've fixed the bug' does not mean they announced it. The fact is that CloudFlare says the vulnerability was announced by the OpenSSL people (it was: http://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20140407.txt), but perhaps you are right in saying that they made it known to more laypeople -- yet again, the blog post reveals that companies have known about this for a while and have been fixing it prior to the announcement. Those in the business probably follow OpenSSL's pages, and everyone else is left scrounging for whatever press reports or blags come out.

drewprops
2014-04-08, 12:18
LOL!
As a layperson I was just linking to what ZDNet said.

And now our silly little dance is done! :)

!!!

turtle
2014-04-08, 19:18
So has everyone switched to the "new" login that isn't just your MC username and password?

I have been using the original method since I don't care much about twitch or the other new things. But a recent tweet that says to change my password makes me think it's worth it to set up the newer login style.

Am I the last one still just using my MC username and password?

Edit: so I logged in to make the migration and see this:
Secure your account
You haven’t migrated yet? Seriously? Migration means you can use the same log in to access all of your Mojang games. It makes things far more secure.
"I was asked to migrate my migrate account, but didn't. The following night a creeper got into my dirt house and blew everything up." — Steve IV, 2012

Also:
If you logged in to any of our games or websites in the last 24 hours using your username+password I'd recommend you to change your password (https://twitter.com/KrisJelbring/statuses/453559871028613121)

SpecMode
2014-04-09, 03:56
Minecraft 1.7.6 is out (https://mojang.com/2014/04/minecraft-1-7-6/)! The 1.7.6 client isn't compatible with the 1.7.5 server build, so if you do update, make sure you manually select the older build in your launcher profile before trying to login to the AN server, until Brad and turtle get everything updated.

drewprops
2014-04-09, 08:46
Turtle I'm doing it the old way, I think. I'll read your thing and Spec's again and try to update myself.

turtle
2014-04-09, 21:09
1.7.7 is out already. There is a change (as of 1.7.6) that will make us leave the server in either online or offline mode. We will have to make it permanent going forward:
Please make sure that you are in the correct server mode (online mode/offline mode) when you start the 1.7.7 server for the first time, because profiles are not compatible between these two server modes.

Brad
2014-04-09, 22:06
I have some code that may be able to convert usernames and UUIDs that's part of a, uh, side project I'm working on. I haven't looked into the latest 1.7.6 and 1.7.7 server builds, but I suspect it wouldn't be terribly difficult to convert profiles between the two.

drewprops
2014-04-10, 16:49
From Reddit: a guy's wife's hysterical take on Minecraft items:

http://i.imgur.com/NzScTHI.jpg

kscherer
2014-04-10, 17:03
"redacted"

:lol:

2014-04-10, 21:07
Question: can other people that have a MC account log in to just fart around and look at stuff on the server? I assume whitelisting means you get all the treats including breaking of blocks, but I'm talking about if I tell someone about AN's server and they just want to walk around with no effect.

Is that already a thing? I remember something about inviting AN members to wander a while ago.

SpecMode
2014-04-10, 21:53
Pretty sure that if you're not on the whitelist, you can't login to the server, period (at least, that was my experience a while back). There are plugins that will allow a "guest" mode, but I don't know if ours supports it.

turtle
2014-04-11, 19:15
There was a period where a mod we ran allowed for logging in and viewing, that's not there now. You are either whitelisted and can even log into the server or you are not and can't.

drewprops
2014-05-04, 07:04
Captive Minecraft (http://youtu.be/sLeSeVZd84U)

billybobsky
2014-05-04, 10:53
Nice. Presumably the world needs to have a dungeon located relatively close to the spawn point. It's be cool to do this as a group no?

drewprops
2014-05-04, 11:41
I'm game!

drewprops
2014-05-04, 16:50
I would also love to do a survival-mode battle royale like I linked to in the Mindcrack thread!

drewprops
2014-07-20, 23:49
iJak suggested that I be sure to watch an episode of South Park called "Investigative Murder Porn (http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s17e02-informative-murder-porn)" because it has a Minecraft tie-in.

This I have done.

Now you might want to see it, maybe?

Brad
2014-07-21, 00:12
How do you tame a horse in Minecraft?

RowdyScot
2014-07-21, 00:24
Strangely enough, I had a desire to rewatch that episode this evening, lol. Have to love how the cable company's logo is a mix between Time Warner's and Comcast's. Nailed it.

kscherer
2014-07-21, 09:55
How do you tame a horse in Minecraft?

I KNOW you're not serious! :eek:

But, just in case …

Right click to get on.

When it bucks you off, get back on.

Wash, rinse, repeat until little horsey gives you some hearts.

Get on and check inventory, at which point you give horsey a saddle for control and some armor for cool!

Go riding.

THE END

:err:

Edit: I don't watch South Park, so naturally I had no frickin' idea why Brad would need to learn how to tame a horse. Out of shear, morbid curiosity, I followed the link and now I know. :o

Weirdos! :p

Otherwise … :lol:

2014-07-21, 10:24
*whoosh* :lol:

http://i62.tinypic.com/29eiyax.jpg

ThunderPoit
2014-07-21, 13:10
How do you get wood in mine craft!
You punch da trees to get da wood!
You get da wood to build da cabin!

RowdyScot
2014-07-21, 22:38
Ken is obviously too busy watching murder porn.

kscherer
2014-07-21, 23:18
Hey, gotta keep the wife happy! ;)

2014-07-23, 08:11
This one is for Spec:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/LootingV.jpg

I'm not crazy! It's real! :D

RowdyScot
2014-07-23, 08:34
Get a maxed Sharpness book on that bad boy!

2014-07-23, 08:53
Good idea! That boosted it to +13.25 Attack Damage. :cool:

RowdyScot
2014-07-23, 12:55
That's enough to kill most things from the Fire damage after knocking them away. One-shotting most things ftw!

SpecMode
2014-07-23, 15:25
Looting and Fire Aspect books are so damned rare, I'll just stick with my Looting III/Fire Aspect II sword. :P

drewprops
2014-07-23, 22:12
NEWS!!!

We'll soon have BANNERS and there are a LOT of options for coloring them!!

Just look! (http://imgur.com/a/gwCaz)

http://i.imgur.com/CazMg6h.png

Brad
2014-07-25, 17:08
I'm sorely disappointed by this nerfed recipe:

Crafting cuddles now requires one extra hug in the recipe.

:grumble:

https://mojang.com/2014/07/minecraft-snapshot-14w30a/

drewprops
2014-08-07, 23:17
This is the stupidest most stupid recipe for doing something in Minecraft I've ever seen.

How to make a campfire. (http://imgur.com/a/9DtBL)

What. The. Hell.

Stupid.

SpecMode
2014-08-08, 01:51
Well, to be fair, that isn't actually a crafting recipe. Also, someone (as per usual) had far too much free time on their hands to come up with that.

kscherer
2014-08-08, 12:45
^^^ I'll stick to rubbing two, er, sticks together! ;)

For anyone who doesn't know: Sea Lanterns!

At their fundamental level, Sea Lanterns are in the same league as Glowstone. If you break them without a Silk Touch pick, they collapse into particles of Prismarine Crystal. It requires 5 crystals and 4 Prismarine Shards* to craft a Sea Lantern block.

So, in absence of a Silk Touch Pick, one Sea Lantern requires five Prismarine Crystals and four Prismarine Shards. If you have trouble with math, that translates into mining a minimum of two existing Sea Lanterns (or getting lucky with five Guardians) and the ruthless slaughter of anywhere from two to every Guardian around an Ocean Monument.

For those of you looking to harvest Sea Lanterns for a living, I strongly suggest you go with your best armor. You will need a fancy helmet with Respiration (preferably III) and Aqua Afinity. I also suggest a Silk Touch pick so you don't waste effort and energy. Frontal attacks are not the best way in. Once you locate a Monument**, tunnel in at a distance and work from underground into the Monument, then work from the inside out. You will have less chance of getting surrounded.

One more thing: There will be as many as 3 Elder Guardians*** (bosses) which induce mining fatigue from a long distance. This is apparently to prevent you from mining the Monument until it has been rid of the yuckies. The payoff is three new types of greenish block and (most importantly) Sea Lanterns!! The treasure is basically worthless (8 gold blocks—the sale of all 8 might yield 1 Lantern once they get into the store) and not worth the effort IMO. New blocks and Lanterns are the real catch in these things.

Due to the VERY low obtainability of these rascals, I suspect Sea Lanterns are gonna be holy lots o' cheap in the store! :eek:

http://i58.tinypic.com/29mx83q.jpg

On the subject of Guardians, I just witnessed several of them blasting squid from at least 10 blocks away. So 1) they do not like squid; and 2) they have a very long range, making bows the only logical choice for dealing with them.

FYI: Be well armored. They swim in packs that can be quite large.

Edit: One more thing: Just for giggles, I used Creative Mode to spawn a guardian on land and near water. Sucker flopped around like a, um, fish out of water until it worked its way down to the ocean and plopped in.Suckers like water! :)

* Prismarine Shards can ONLY be obtained by slaughtering guardians! A Guardian will drop anywhere from zero to two shards! Guardians will also drop Prismarine Crystals in the 0-1 quantity. Remember: You need four shards to craft one Sea Lantern!

** A trick to finding monuments might be the Sea Lanterns. I was able to see them glowing from about a hundred blocks away. Whether that was luck, bug or design I do not know.

*** Elder Guardians can and will target boats!

drewprops
2014-08-13, 18:29
Unofficial Mineorama convention disappears with $500,000 (http://m.pcgamer.com/2014/08/13/unofficial-minecraft-convention-disappears-with-the-money/)

Wow, why didn't WE think of that??

turtle
2014-08-13, 19:54
Wow, that really does suck. I mean, I'm not generally a convention goer but that would be pretty interesting to have happen. Likely able to get a chargeback on if a credit card was used.

2015-02-04, 06:03
You can change your username in MC now, which is nice for dummies like me that signed up with their actual name (in my defense, it wasn't really apparent that would happen back then... NOTCH!). ;)

Go to account.mojang.com (https://account.mojang.com/me) and provided the new name isn't already taken by a paying account it's easy to switch.

kscherer
2015-02-04, 09:49
Yay! I've been wanting to change my silly user name.

But, I don't know. WS, Whammer, Whamster. I've gotten a bit used to it.

What to do? :|

RowdyScot
2015-02-04, 11:04
Good. Will be switching to my newer online moniker.

kscherer
2015-02-04, 13:24
When I first started playing, my usual user name (kscherer) was taken and I settled on WhammerSlammer, which I have never liked.

Thanks, Grey, for the update. The Mojang purge left my original name available, so I am now kscherer!

Woohoo!

turtle
2015-02-04, 20:22
I tried to just be turtle, shockingly it's still taken.

kscherer
2015-02-04, 23:10
Maybe you should try Tortoise?

:p

drewprops
2015-02-05, 01:37
I think it should be "Whammerstein".

Totally epic.

2015-03-27, 21:27
So, I don't know when this might get changed in the sticky, but I'm no longer that weird yet incredibly sexy username. I'm 709 now. Because 709.

RowdyScot
2015-03-27, 23:49
Hahahaha, nice!