PDA

View Full Version : Q1 2013 : Blu-ray Players

drewprops
2013-02-08, 10:39
For Christmas I treated myself to a Blu-ray edition of a television show popular amongst holographic smegheads.

A superlative gift indeed, with just TWO minor flaws:

ONE: I don't HAVE a Blu-ray player.

and

TWO: I don't have a BLU-RAY player.

Now, I realize that, technically speaking, that's only ONE flaw, but I thought it was such a BIG one that it was worth mentioning TWICE.

I have a nagging sense of deja-vu on this topic, but am pressing ahead anyway.

What I need help with is selecting an affordable player.

Whatcha got?

Thanks! :D

Brave Ulysses
2013-02-08, 11:19
This is the #1 selling Blu-Ray Player right now:

http://amzn.com/B006U1YUZE

Great player... very few complaints....supports everything.... has apps.....

edit: I'm an idiot and the player is $94 after discount with a $20 amazon credit.

drewprops
2013-02-08, 12:20
Hmm.. it shows up as being $93 and change in the shopping cart.

So the original price must be around $150?

The $20 instant video credit could be construed as pulling the price down to $73.

Doesn't that sound right?

Brave Ulysses
2013-02-08, 12:23
Hmm.. it shows up as being $93 and change in the shopping cart.

So the original price must be around $150?

The $20 instant video credit could be construed as pulling the price down to $73.

Doesn't that sound right?

Oh shit. You're right! Sorry. I could have sworn I read that the price would be reflected in your shopping cart.

But you are right, the price is already reflected in the $93.

Not so sure now. Still a top rated Blu-Ray Player but there are cheaper options that are good as well.... depends on what you need. Do you need 3D, apps, wifi, etc?

drewprops
2013-02-08, 14:30
Nope, just Blu-ray, really.

If it was a Google-infested player I might be interested, but otherwise I find the embedded apps to have nearly unusable interfaces. The little Bravia I have has all sorts of "wonderful" web capabilities and is even wireless, but when you have to use a regular remote control it might as well be made of marzipan.

But I will seriously consider the Sony - and I guess I'll look around for other options.

turbulentfurball
2013-02-08, 15:40
An Apple-made Blu-ray player/Apple TV combination would be awesome. Especially if it was opened up to developers. (The current 'apps' are very US-centric - I'd be over the moon if BBC iPlayer was available for example).

It'll never happen. *sigh*

Brave Ulysses
2013-02-08, 15:50
An Apple-made Blu-ray player/Apple TV combination would be awesome. Especially if it was opened up to developers. (The current 'apps' are very US-centric - I'd be over the moon if BBC iPlayer was available for example).

It'll never happen. *sigh*

You're right, it'll never happen:)

But I'm a bit surprised.... I don't even desire it to happen. I really feel like the Blu-Ray demand is not there at all. I own 2 Blu-Ray discs and I bought them 3-4 years ago. I have no intention of buying any more. The quality is great, but honestly, it isn't that much better to buy the discs and deal with them over the instant gratification of streaming services.

Just me... but I feel like that is the more common opinion these days.

turbulentfurball
2013-02-08, 16:02
Oh, I agree totally. I'd gladly ditch optical media entirely. I keep receiving DVDs and Blu-rays as gifts though. :lol:

drewprops
2013-02-09, 19:50
Okay, well I bought that one after all.

The 2nd best option was less than $15 difference after applying the $20 streaming credit, so I figured it would be better for longer and it had a proportionately higher positive rating. So thanks!

thegeriatric
2013-02-09, 21:49
I own 2 Blu-Ray discs and I bought them 3-4 years ago. I have no intention of buying any more. The quality is great, but honestly, it isn't that much better to buy the discs and deal with them over the instant gratification of streaming services.

Just me... but I feel like that is the more common opinion these days.

I too only have 2 Blu-Ray discs. One was bought some time ago, just to see what all the fuss was about! Compared to DVD the quality is Meh better but not the fantastic experience i was expecting. And the second disc was free, with the purchase of a new player. I don't expect to expand my collection anytime soon.

SKMDC
2013-02-10, 12:56
I agree with the Sony choice, especially if you have a Sony TV, they work seamlessly together, so much so that my next 50" will be a Sony because I like my smaller one in my bedroom so much.