PDA

View Full Version : MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!

Pages : [1] 2

Brad
2013-02-16, 01:52
As the title says, we are now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack! :)

With two small exceptions: I've disabled the Forestry and Extra Bees mods. I wasn't able to completely reproduce the horrible laggy issues that I experienced last weekend when I was testing the server, but I did find that these mods in particular added an extra bit of noticeable lag when navigating the world. Fortunately, it looks like the Feed the Beast client gracefully handles when the server has disabled mods that the client still has installed. So, it looks like you shouldn't have to do anything to the modpacks on your systems to join the server once you get FTB working.

So, getting started with Feed the Beast!

It's pretty easy. Go here and hit the "Download jar" link:

http://www.feed-the-beast.com/#download_wrapper

Once you've downloaded it and put it somewhere for safe keeping, fire up the Terminal app, and type:

nohup java -jar

Add a space after the word "jar", and then drag and drop the jar file from wherever you put it into the Terminal window. It should autocomplete the full path to the file. On my system, it looks like this:

nohup java -jar /Users/bradsmith/Desktop/Minecraft/FTB-Client/FTB_Launcher.jar

Then punch enter and the launcher should start up! You can then safely close/quit the Terminal if you don't want to look at it.

I think the first time you open it (it's been a while since I first did this), the launcher asks you where it should put its files. I let it put the files in the folder where I keep the jar file. You can change this later from the Options tab (the "Install folder" option).

Now, from the launcher screen:

• Click the Modpacks tab at the top.
• Select the "Direwolf20 Pack (v5.0.1) Minecraft Version 1.4.7" from the modpack list in the left panel.
• Choose "Create Profile" from the menu next to the Launch button.
• Enter your Minecraft username and password and give the profile a name.
• Be sure that the profile you created is selected in that menu.
• Click Launch!

The next time you start up the launcher (using the "nohup java -jar ..." Terminal command), you can go straight to the Launch button. The launcher should close, and then it should look and behave largely like the Minecraft you know and love. You'll need to add "mc.applenova.com" back to your multiplayer server list because each modpack keeps its own settings.

I'm too tired now to stick around to play tonight, but I'll be around over the weekend. If you have questions or issues, please post them here and we'll work them out! :)

Brad
2013-02-16, 02:02
Also, do you remember the old "Optifine" mod that boosted frame-rate performance of Minecraft and added a few extra display options? The Tekkit Classic launcher included it by default, but FTB does not. The developer of Optifine has actually asked that modpack distributors not include his work. No worries! You can still get Optifine, and you can get it to work with the FTB launcher pretty easily.

Download the latest version of Optifine from this thread:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-147-optifine-hd-c3-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/

Quit Minecraft if it's running, and restart the FTB launcher. When the modpack screen is visible, select Direwolf20 (as usual), and click the "Edit Mod Pack" button. Click the JarMods tab, and click the "Add Mod" button on the bottom right. Select the zip file you downloaded, and it should appear in the "Enabled Mods" list like this:

http://i.imgur.com/9welnHz.png

Adding a mod this way copies the zip file into the mod's own directory. So, you can trash the zip you downloaded.

2013-02-16, 02:03
Works so far [holy shit terminal :eek:] but still scanning for LAN Worlds....

Brad
2013-02-16, 02:06
It'll scan forever for LAN worlds. That's scanning for servers on your local area network (ie. other computers in your house). You want to add the AN server and connect to it like this:

http://i.imgur.com/gfkcIqo.png

Brad
2013-02-16, 02:07
Also, if you guys want it, I could write a small wrapper app later so you don't have to dive into the Terminal.

2013-02-16, 02:08
Ah crap. Right. What's the address again?

Brad
2013-02-16, 02:09
Ah crap. Right. What's the address again?

You'll need to add "mc.applenova.com" back to your multiplayer server list because each modpack keeps its own settings.

;)

2013-02-16, 02:13
Ha! I got to "• Click Launch!" and fuckered off. :D :lol:

Thanks. :)

2013-02-16, 02:17
Failed to login: Bad login (?) :confused:

Whitelist me Brad!

gerlocian
2013-02-16, 02:22
Woohoo!
Can't wait to start playing with Mystcraft and the new machines :) ... tomorrow ...

Brad
2013-02-16, 02:28
Failed to login: Bad login (?) :confused:

Whitelist me Brad!

Looks like you're in the whitelist. Double-check that you used the right login/password on the launcher in that profile selection?

RowdyScot
2013-02-16, 03:57
I've started a tiny little community farm near the spawn. It has wheat, flax, and melon. No buildings or anything of that sort (yet).

EDIT: The small little thing for anyone's use has Corn, Henequen (slow way to make string), Flax, Wheat, Sugar Cane, and Melon. I have a basic house out a little bit in a nice area not too far from spawn, assuming spawn will become the main town for a little while.

drewprops
2013-02-16, 10:31
Which version of Optifine would you guys run on a MBP with a 2.3Ghz i7?

My first instinct is to try the LIGHT version, but I guess I'll try this one first:

OptiFine HD C3 Standard for Minecraft 1.4.6 and 1.4.7

gerlocian
2013-02-16, 10:37
Grey, Elysium and I already found you a desert biome:
x:-63
y:65
z:-79

Elysium
2013-02-16, 11:01
Grey, Elysium and I already found you a desert biome:
x:-63
y:65
z:-79

If you play nice, I'll tell you where there is a desert village, desert temple, volcano, oil, and snow forest all within sight of each other in that desert. :p

RowdyScot
2013-02-16, 12:02
Drew, use C3. Other versions have caused some glitches in some of the mods.

drewprops
2013-02-16, 12:49
Thanks RS, that's what I used.

I've gone WEST of town, past the village that's there, and am currently staked out on a flat stone field.

I can't seem to get the texture packs to load anything different, and I'm not feeling like Optifine is actually "taking".

Enough of this for me for now.

turtle
2013-02-16, 16:25
BTW, the easy way to make a Terminal command an icon is to open Automator and select to make an application. Then choose Run Shell Script. Then drag the icon to the area in the right. Paste in the command you issue via Terminal:
nohup java -jar /your/path/to/FTB_Launcher.jar

Then save to a location of your choice. You can then make it a Dock icon by dragging it to your dock.

Also, if you'd like to change the icon you can do that by showing the new app's info and pasting an icon image over the Automator default. I just used a basic one that is from the site. You can download it here if you want.

http://turtle2472.com/an/ftb.icns
ftb.icns (http://turtle2472.com/an/ftb.icns)

Here's how this one looks in my dock:
http://turtle2472.com/s/20130216_162822.png

I got the original icon I used from here: http://feed-the-beast.com/images/ftb.png

billybobsky
2013-02-16, 16:59
world's shittest internet connection. that's oxford uni for ya..

turtle
2013-02-16, 17:37
Brad, just noticed you might want to update the mc.applenova.com home page to reflect the new details. However, I think I moved them to my NAS since I needed port 80 traffic there. If you update them and they don't show, let me know and I'll rsync them to my NAS.

Robo
2013-02-16, 21:03
Is there a way to quickly see who's online, still? Like /who or whatever?

turtle
2013-02-16, 21:28
The Tab key is the default however I remap mine to be "p" instead. When you get in the game, hold the key down for the list.

Robo
2013-02-16, 21:29
Thanks! :)

2013-02-17, 15:00
If you play nice, I'll tell you where there is a desert village, desert temple, volcano, oil, and snow forest all within sight of each other in that desert. :p:D

Hopefully I'll be able to get on later tonight. I have a bunch of work I need to finish up today before the week hits. :(

Elysium
2013-02-18, 00:30
:D

Hopefully I'll be able to get on later tonight. I have a bunch of work I need to finish up today before the week hits. :(

Figured that was the case when you went MIA this weekend. Hopefully you get on soon as people are starving to death and sitting in the dark because the public farms haven't been built yet. ;p

And that spot I was talking about. Just go 1000m due north of spawn. Can't miss it.

Bonn89
2013-02-18, 08:49
Really cool to see you guys running FTB! I miss playing with you guys on the old server. I'd love to join, but it's a shame Forestry and Bees where causing lag, because I really like messing around with them.

Also, if anyone still uses Brad's Painterly custom, you might want to check this out: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/16x-the-painterly-addon-pack.3338/

drewprops
2013-02-18, 09:02
Speaking of custom texture packs, I tried running one of the other ones they had and couldn't get it to work. Has anybody else done this, and if so, what's the trick?

turtle
2013-02-18, 18:44
None of Brad's old texture packs work on this server. You have to have one that FTB ready. Brad will update his when he is able to take the time to do so. You can use the default or try ones from FTB's site like Bonn89 pointed out.

2013-02-18, 19:26
So I have a little time tonight and found an area a little East of spawn that works for the treefarm. Not too far away, and it already has a bunch of caverns that'll make the dig a little easier. Speaking of.. are there a shit-ton of caves in this new world or what? They seem to be everywhere. :err:

drewprops
2013-02-18, 21:24
Turtle I'm just trying to get one of the OTHER texture packs to run. Any directions on that? :)

RowdyScot
2013-02-18, 23:29
Um...mod pack version update available. Has the server updated?

Brad
2013-02-18, 23:31
Negative. I haven't seen exactly what they've updated. Got a link?

RowdyScot
2013-02-19, 01:08
I'll try to grab one. Too tired atm.

Foj
2013-02-19, 13:29
I hopped on for a minute the other night, looked around and grabbed some of the free melon. I'll get on some more today. =)

RowdyScot
2013-02-19, 17:34
There's a bunch of posts on the updates saying not to do them yet for Mac users, fix on the way.

I built a pen for cows at spawn, but have yet to find cows to put there. I will be back later to finish an enchantment room at spawn. Have the table and bookshelves already. :)

Brad
2013-02-19, 18:12
Also, if anyone still uses Brad's Painterly custom, you might want to check this out: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/16x-the-painterly-addon-pack.3338/
FWIW, I'll be integrating some of this with my textures. I plan to start working on this tonight, and it'll probably be ready to share tomorrow night.

drewprops
2013-02-19, 20:44
RS there are some cows over near my place, west of spawn. Once you find my place head due south.

Brad
2013-02-19, 22:56
FWIW, I'll be integrating some of this with my textures. I plan to start working on this tonight, and it'll probably be ready to share tomorrow night.

Let me rephrase that...

Friday or maybe this weekend is more likely that the texture synthesis will be complete. I forgot how many hundreds of little things there are to scrutinize.

drewprops
2013-02-20, 00:47
We probably ought to be sharing our coordinates with folks - just realized that might have helped Rowdy, but I don't know them just yet.

But I call dibs on some of the marble near my place, and the volcanic rock, as well.

Not ALL of it, but some of it :)

Or maybe all of it, if nobody lives near me :)

RowdyScot
2013-02-20, 01:05
Robo and I did some work on the pens at spawn. The sheep and pig pens are done. We left 5 blocks in between with a path in mind for the spawn town, but figured we could leave the path up to whoever wants to take that on. We laid framing for pens opposite the first two for chicken and cows, and I managed to find two cows (and an errant sheep). Not completely done with those ones, but close to it. Need eggs to spawn the chickens yet.

The enchanting table and room are done, next to the pig pen. It's the chiseled stone brick building. :) There's a button directly above the door to get inside the room. I managed a Fortune III on my first try! :D

RowdyScot
2013-02-20, 16:11
So, um...I don't know who did it (it wasn't Drew - I found his hidey hole and this wasn't it), but someone built a shack on the frozen river I claimed and dug down to bedrock and began strip mining. Pretty certain everyone knew that I'd claimed that area from chatting in game. Hope there are resources left. :/

drewprops
2013-02-20, 16:16
I built a shack in the snow biome, but you know me... I didn't go to bedrock, it was just a tiny glass thing. Did you talk to Dellphi?

RowdyScot
2013-02-20, 16:38
I saw your shack, so I know it wasn't you. Thought I did, but he might be the only one I hadn't talked to. Was too busy working on stuff for the spawn town to go and drop torches, so oh well, I guess. :/

2013-02-20, 20:51
FWIW, I'll be integrating some of this with my textures. I plan to start working on this tonight, and it'll probably be ready to share tomorrow night.Just fyi - I have the planks for reference at the treefarm construction site:

http://greychristian.com/AN/ftbplanks.jpg

turtle
2013-02-20, 21:15
http://turtle2472.com/s/20130220_211403.png

For real?

At least they drown. :D

2013-02-20, 22:03
That's all sorts of fucked up. WHY? :wtf:

I don't even

2013-02-20, 22:18
It is yours. I have no plans for it at all. I actually went out looking for the sapling* you were missing

*I'm missing four. Same biome, but 4 different saplings. Ugh. I've been on such the hunt.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen. I've seen the moon and sun traverse overhead dozens of times while out to sea. Just looking for land. Anywhere. I've seen lush forests turn into wasteland turn into vast unforgiving snow after blocks and blocks and blocks. I've never killed an animal, but I've passed through so many volcanos I have a stack of meat from the previous destruction.

I've had a bat land on my shoulder. I turned to him. He squeaked.

Like rain on Spawn. Time to die.

drewprops
2013-02-20, 22:55
Can we just end the game now?

That was beautiful.

RowdyScot
2013-02-21, 06:14
Oh yeah...swamps spawn slimes now at night. :)

billybobsky
2013-02-21, 06:38
*I'm missing four. Same biome, but 4 different saplings. Ugh. I've been on such the hunt.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen. I've seen the moon and sun traverse overhead dozens of times while out to sea. Just looking for land. Anywhere. I've seen lush forests turn into wasteland turn into vast unforgiving snow after blocks and blocks and blocks. I've never killed an animal, but I've passed through so many volcanos I have a stack of meat from the previous destruction.

I've had a bat land on my shoulder. I turned to him. He squeaked.

Like rain on Spawn. Time to die.
the squeaking sound is bats... hmm who knew...

Brad
2013-02-21, 08:40
That's all sorts of fucked up. WHY? :wtf:

I don't even

Yep. Slimes spawning all the way to the surface was added in a recent official Minecraft release.

2013-02-21, 19:32
Has anyone built a macerator yet? I need to borrow one for a sec to extend my iron supply for pickaxes. I'll bring my own coal, of course.

Stevuh
2013-02-21, 23:16
I have one at my Hut, North of RS place.

Robo
2013-02-22, 00:32
I said I hoped to see more projects near town, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is: for my first project, I'm building a technicolor sheep farm! :D It will be just southwest of spawn hut, in between the spawn hut and 709's tree farm, off of what might be our first road. Exciting!

(Maybe we should start a separate thread for city planning and new world discussion, and leave this one for questions about the modpack? I'd start one, but, er...what are we calling our new world/town, anyway?)

2013-02-22, 00:58
I have one at my Hut, North of RS place.
Thanks Steveuh. Nice setup btw. And nice pups! :)

Hmm. Prottip (?): Charcoal lasts twice as long as Coal in machines.. Don"t ask me why. It just does.

drewprops
2013-02-22, 00:58
What are we calling our new world/town, anyway)

Spreddington.

2013-02-22, 01:04
I said I hoped to see more projects near town, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is: for my first project, I'm building a technicolor sheep farm! :D It will be just southwest of spawn hut, in between the spawn hut and 709's tree farm, off of what might be our first road. Exciting!Exciting indeed. :)

I built the treefarm as close as reasonably possible to Spawn with the hope it would eventually integrate into the city, but this is super cool.

2013-02-22, 01:06
Spreddington.

...You cad.

2013-02-22, 01:24
RS: would you consider making your "infinite" cobble/sand/glass setup a community thing? Imma 'bout to go rapist on our N desert, but if you have a generator for these things it'd be cool to leave the desert pristine.

RowdyScot
2013-02-22, 06:17
Yes, I actually had planned to make that hut a community thing because of the cobble generator. I will work on the transition for it when I feel up to it, as I'd like to move some things out to the frozen river and speed that setup up a bit. Raging sinus infection has kept me in bed the last two days.

turtle
2013-02-22, 20:53
Brad, can we get the AFK mod on this? I don't mind logging out and back in so others can hop in bed but it sure would be nice if that worked without us having to do so again. I don't know what I'm asking you to do but I do know what I want. :p

I hope it's easy to do. :D

Brad
2013-02-22, 21:15
AFK wasn't a mod. It was a part of a server plugin (AdminCmd) built specifically for Bukkit using Bukkit's API.

There is a Forge mod (ForgeEssentials) that sort of replicates that functionality, but when I tried it locally before launching the current server, it was a big mess with other crap glommed in and would take a fair bit of tweaking to make not suck. There's also a Forge mod (BukkitForge) that purports to reimplement the Bukkit API, and in theory Bukkit plugins like the one we had would "just work", but I haven't even given it a try.

I'll add this to my list of things to try this weekend!

Brad
2013-02-22, 21:19
Also!

Tonight I'm going to test updating to the latest Direwolf20 on my local system before deploying to the server. When it's updated on the server, you'll all have to restart the app and let the launcher apply updates when it asks.

RowdyScot
2013-02-22, 22:09
Have they cleared the update for Mac users? Last I saw, there were still issues causing the game to crash on OS X in that update.

turtle
2013-02-22, 22:25
http://turtle2472.com/s/20130222_220723.png

Specmode found a very cool dungeon. It was great fun getting zapped by two wisps or wherever they are called. :p

RowdyScot
2013-02-22, 22:47
That's one of the random dungeons Thaumcraft adds. :) There are a few different types.

Brad
2013-02-22, 23:10
Have they cleared the update for Mac users? Last I saw, there were still issues causing the game to crash on OS X in that update.

Please post details! What's crashing for whom? I asked for a link earlier and nobody posted any.

Brad
2013-02-23, 00:23
Surprise! We're now running the latest Direwolf20 build 5.1.1. :) Now is the time to allow the FTB launcher to allow the update to install.

A bunch of us are online now, and the latest version doesn't seem to be giving us any stability problems.

Robo
2013-02-23, 01:20
Also, I don't know what everybody else was gaming on, but I was playing the updated modpack on OS X (v. 10.8.2) with no problems. So hopefully Rowdy's information was just out of date. *crosses fingers*

RowdyScot
2013-02-23, 03:09
It was something that came up right on the launcher for me as a warning for Mac users on the right side, but it seems to no longer be there, so I'm guessing it was patched okay. :)

2013-02-24, 18:46
A CALL FOR SEEDS!

The first level of the community veggie farm is up and running. Carrots, potatoes, melon and pumpkin for everyone:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/veggieL1.jpg

For the second level I need a bunch of seeds. Corn, Flax and seed seeds (Wheat). If you have any extra please drop them off. Corn kernals seem to be the most elusive, but for all you grass-punchers out there, if you have any extra I'd love them. There's a chest* at Robo's sheep farm that's easy to find, so anyone that has extras please put them in there. Much, much appreciated. :)

The basement will have reeds, cocoa and cacti, but that's a short while off. ish. :D

*Is that cool Robo? I should have a better setup inside the treefarm shortly, but I figured a chest at your place would be easier to find.

Robo
2013-02-24, 18:49
I'll drop some seeds off tonight 709! :) And yeah that is cool

RowdyScot
2013-02-24, 20:53
Dude. The small farm I started at spawn. It has a fuckton of those in the chest. :)

2013-02-24, 21:04
I checked there earlier and it had only a handful of corn kernals. It was mostly flax. Is there a fuckton chest I'm not seeing? ;)

I'm not planting any of that bullshit leaf that has no use.

RowdyScot
2013-02-25, 00:27
Did someone take the rest of what was there? I'd left a lot of corn and wheat seeds, too...:( Maybe it got raided since I'd last seen the contents.

Robo
2013-02-25, 00:35
I put some wheat and flax seeds in the chest by the sheep farm, grey. I think I only had one corn, but I put that there too :)

I like the entrance you built to your tree farm a lot, grey, but Brad and I looked at the way it connected with the road and thought it looked a bit weird. The road from the sheep farm goes down three squares and then right back up again, and as it is there doesn't even seem to be room for a connecting north/south road at the lower elevation (which would help the elevation dip make sense). Brad and I were mocking stuff up over there (so don't be alarmed if there's some stray cobble), and I think Brad left a sign too. Maybe a bridge would make more sense? Or maybe steeper stairs leading up to the sheep farm, so that there's room for a connecting north/south road?

I'll hold off on building stairs on the other side of the sheep farm until we figure out what we're going with for sure, so that they can match on each side. :)

RowdyScot
2013-02-25, 00:46
Sorry for bailing early and not returning again, guys. This infection is kicking my ass pretty hard.

Robo
2013-02-25, 00:56
Sorry for bailing early and not returning again, guys. This infection is kicking my ass pretty hard.

No apologies needed! The most important thing is that you get better. :)

turtle
2013-02-25, 17:01
So I'm looking at starting the sky walk from my place to spawn. I need to be over 85 blocks up due to hills in between. I'm pretty much due west from town IIRC. Was there a plan for materials or anything? I totally forgot and don't want to reread the thread. :p

billybobsky
2013-02-25, 17:05
90 is the height of the current stretches -- 3 oak wood planks wide and side walls on my section made of alternating lengths of 5 glass and 1 wood -- not sure why i didn't do complete glass but i have forgotten that we can attach torches to glass now...

Elysium
2013-02-25, 19:21
I'm doing a 2 wide path with glass walls, rails will go outside of walls. Will be similar to the one I built in BP. Will start at 100 near my base and will drop to 90 once the pine forest is reached.

2013-02-28, 12:52
A CALL FOR SEEDS!The call has been answered. :)

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/veggieL2.jpg

Flax, corn and wheat are now growing on the upper level of the farm. Thanks again to everyone for giving up their loot for the cause!

Robo
2013-02-28, 13:14
No problem! Thanks for building a giant community farm :)

2013-03-01, 00:41
A note for everyone about the veggie farms: there is a chest in the middle of each level with food & loot. Grab how ever much you want! No need to harvest a few things here and there.

Since I've been below working on the treefarm I'll occasionally pop up, and if a plantation is fully grown I'll harvest it, replant, then put the loot in the chest. After the treefarm is finished I'll be back and forth checking in from time to time, but I encourage anyone to do the same. If a plantation looks fully ripe, harvest and replant. There's a ton in each chest right now, so just dig in! :)

Protip: The corn needs to be harvested from the base. If you just harvest the tops you may not get enough seeds to replant - even though the entire plant goes away when you top it off (unlike reeds and flax). There's a hoe in each chest in case the soil goes bad. Also, corn needs fully saturated soil to plant. Goddamn corn.

RowdyScot
2013-03-01, 02:51
Hey Grey, something about the tree farm occurred to me. Don't know if you've tried anything with Silverwood trees yet, but you may want to hold off on those. There are some *really* specific mechanics on getting those to grow, and furthermore, there may be an incredible benefit to growing them in a farm the right way - we may be able to make a Pure Aura node large enough to not have to worry about Flux being generated from magic in Thaumcraft, at least in that general area.

2013-03-01, 09:12
I have a few of those saplings, but no plans to grow any. I skimmed the wiki last week and it was all about needing special this and magiks that. So no. :D Aura, Flux, Thaum etc. are all mumbo-jumbo to me at this point, and not something I'm actively looking in to.

RowdyScot
2013-03-01, 11:19
When you're ready to venture into that, let me know. I'll help you with the mechanics on that part. Doing it the right way would create a large safe area for a magic lab. Nothing shooting lightning or spawning giant angry zombies. :)

2013-03-06, 19:35
Treefarm 3.0 complete and fully operational! Finally! :D

There's a chest in the basement with all the extra saplings, plus I've planted 2 fir and 2 redwood for your eventual removal. One of the redwoods *just* cleared the bottom of the glass in the lower veggie farm. 58 blocks tall!

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/tf3_basement.jpg

Have at it. I'm starting my move to the autumn biome. :)

*note: you can put any extra reeds, cacti and cocoa in the same chest. That's where I'm putting the harvest from those if you want to grab some.
*note2: turn your "fog" setting off or you'll never find shit down there. ;)

2013-03-08, 11:59
New Sawmill (and Tea House (?)) next to the Treefarm!

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/sawmill1.jpg

Solar powered and filled with black-magick machineries ala bobsky (have a look upstairs :D):

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/sawmill2.jpg

So cool! :)

Robo
2013-03-08, 22:17
I heart it! :D

Stevuh
2013-03-10, 14:30
Random question. I tried making the longfall boots from the portal gun mod today, it would let me craft them but not take them out of the table, didn't use any resources. Are these boots turned off or something?

RowdyScot
2013-03-10, 16:58
Must be. That's what Forestry/Extra Bees items do, too. It could also be because we aren't updated on Portal Gun yet. The Longfall Boots are rather fantastic, though.

Bryson
2013-03-13, 00:14
Should I take the upgraded mod pack?

Brad
2013-03-13, 01:49
Not yet. I'll post when it's safe to update.

2013-03-13, 15:08
Maaan. I'm so fucking busy this week I doubt I'll get on until the weekend, if that. :( Does the new update include the shit in the MC 1.5 release?

Brad
2013-03-13, 15:50
Also: surprise! The update appears to *remove* the Twilight Forest dimension. So, enjoy it while you can.

I'm not sure what this means for any resources we've gathered from it. *grumble*

Bryson
2013-03-13, 15:59
Wait, what? Are we sure that's intentional? I don't see any mention of it being removed on the forums and whereever...

2013-03-13, 16:18
If so, does that mean lightning bugs will be gone in the Overworld? I quite like the one on Stevuh's hut and thought about grabbing a couple for myself. I don't have a reason to go there otherwise. It's fucking dark in there. And scary. :|

Brad
2013-03-13, 16:56
Wait, what? Are we sure that's intentional? I don't see any mention of it being removed on the forums and whereever...

Hmm. I'd swear I originally saw it here, but either I was mistaken or the post was edited.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/direwolf20.4829/

In any case, I'll be testing tonight/tomorrow night locally to see if the upgrade cleanly migrates the world. I don't look forward to downloading and expanding the 722 MB zipped world data from Lenny to my home computer to test... :eek:

2013-03-13, 17:43
What in the world? I'd hold off until there was a compatible 1.5 pack if it was me spending my free time on this stuff. :D 1.5 was supposed to drop today, but I haven't checked *shows how much the mods have changed me ;)

Brad
2013-03-13, 18:44
What in the world? I'd hold off until there was a compatible 1.5 pack if it was me spending my free time on this stuff. :D 1.5 was supposed to drop today, but I haven't checked *shows how much the mods have changed me ;)

I disagree; I think we should upgrade as soon as I can give it the stamp of approval (assuming I was indeed wrong about the Twilight Forest mod). This kind of update should largely just bring bug fixes, and updating the server means people don't have to keep clicking that "no" button when asked to update (and won't get stuck in a too-future version if they accidentally click "yes").

Also do you remember how long we waited hoping for Tekkit to update to 1.3? While I don't anticipate the 1.5 update to require months of waiting to get mods updated, I also don't expect it to drop overnight. We could be waiting for a while.

RowdyScot
2013-03-15, 02:07
I finished the Infinite Cobble/Sand/Glass Room in town. It's next to the Enchanting Room. I'm still tinkering with the engines. They're overpowered with as many solar panels as I placed (blaming the Wiki for being misleading on the capability of Redpower 2's Solar Panels with Blulectric Engines). I'll likely remove some of the panels and see what a good balance is. For the time being, it's a delicate game of turning the engines on and off every short bit while waiting. The machines would be fine, but the pipes will explode if the engines are left running due to how quickly the engines build power. The Filters are set to take quarter stacks, but I need to get Timers in and set a pulse yet. It's a work in progress to perfect it, but the room is certainly functional for those craving sandstone/glass buildings. :)

Edit: Found my solution, but won't get to building it tonight. :)

Brad
2013-03-15, 21:32
FWIW, Direwolf20 5.2.0 isn't looking too promising so far. It's crashed on me 3 times in the last hour of testing, and that's on a new world without pulling in our existing one.

RowdyScot
2013-03-16, 00:18
Dire already said 5.2.1 should drop quickly.

RowdyScot
2013-03-16, 11:42
The Infinite Room needs timers and a few more battery boxes, but is otherwise complete. The engines can run indefinitely, but are pretty quick to reach full speed, so I'd still turn off when done. The Magma Crucible for infinite lava/obsidian uses a considerable amount of power, so unless one needs it, I'd leave it off. The Pulverizer and Powered Furnace will run at full speed effortlessly during the day if the Crucible is off. :)

billybobsky
2013-03-16, 15:34
Yes... magma crucible is a waste of energy especially with cobble as the material source. still not good with netherrack...

RowdyScot
2013-03-16, 21:05
It is, but it's a renewable way to make it, which was the point. There is enough power to run it in that room once I add a couple of other things.

turtle
2013-03-17, 10:47
It is, but it's a renewable way to make it, which was the point. There is enough power to run it in that room once I add a couple of other things.

I hope you don't mind, but I added guest quarters for now so I could hang out while the Lava regenerated.
http://turtle2472.com/s/20130317_114526.png

billybobsky
2013-03-17, 14:32
You would need to be generating ~35 MJ/t to run one magma crucible at full speed. I haven't visited the room, but are you really doing that?

RowdyScot
2013-03-17, 14:57
It won't run at full speed, but I should be able to generate enough to keep everything else running at full speed while it is on - I might just separate the power grids for the two sections of the room as it is for that very purpose. I'm not exactly expecting anyone to need quadrillions of buckets of lava or obsidian with this - if they do, a highly-powered mass fabricator should be the ultimate goal.

drewprops
2013-03-19, 00:27
Hey I think I need to let you guys know that PortalGun2 is now available.

I should have mentioned this earlier, sorry :(

2013-03-21, 17:55
So... I decided to explore the Twilight Forest mod a little bit today during some downtime when the machine was rendering, and, neat stuff! :)

I made a "magic map" and started filling in the map from L/R-ish (looks like all the "major" spots are laid out on a grid) and found around 4 wizard towers, a few labyrinths, a couple dark tower thingys and a shit-ton of mazes. Killed a Naga serpent and a Hydra too! :D Many deaths from the latter, but at least I was smart enough to bring a bed along with me. Also, trophy head. Now that shit is a good idea. I just need to build a smoking room with a mantle to mount my bad-ass kill over. :D

Interesting world. Dark as shit (I fell more than a few times into chasms), but pretty fun all-round. We should set up a wizard castle or dark tower raiding party some night. That could be loads of fun. :)

drewprops
2013-03-21, 17:59
I'm in, if schedule allows. I will provide great entertainment, with all my running away.

Bryson
2013-03-21, 19:06
Cool. I had a little wander in the Twilight Forest the other day too. Didn't realise there was a map you can make! Can we leave the map in the chest at the entrance for all to use, or is it restricted to the player who made it?

While exploring in the overworld, by the way, I found an Obsidian Totem. Anyone need one of those?

2013-03-21, 20:30
Didn't realise there was a map you can make! Can we leave the map in the chest at the entrance for all to use, or is it restricted to the player who made it?That was new to me too, and the first time I've ever made a map. But handy as hell! Here's what it looks like; plus I put in some notations of what symbols mean what:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/TFMap.jpg

Notice all the "goodie" spots are laid out grid-like. By my rough calculation they're between 200 and 300 blocks apart. Someone already killed the closest Naga and Hydra to Spawn, so I had to search around a bit West for a living Hydra. I think the lower left Naga was the one I fought and killed; one of the upper two are still alive and dangerous.

Other quick notes:
• I peeked inside the Dark Tower to the East and built an easy entry inside without going down into the scary woods. If we decide to rush one I propose that be it.
• I've also completed the Quest Grove in the lower left corner, but apparently if you kill the Ram he'll respawn.
• It's worth it to go out SEast for a sprint and check out the glacier. Really cool looking. (it's the purple bit on the map)
• While at the Quest Grove I grabbed a handful of Rainbow Tree saplings. I guess they change color according to what x,y they're planted? Dunno. If that's the case I may plant them around the tree farm instead of inside to get maximum colorage. ;)

Unfortunately the map doesn't update outside of its boundaries, otherwise I'd have another dozen or so areas to point out to the West.

It's worth a shot now that this image is posted to leave the map in the TF Spawn chest. If it goes boink no big deal. I'll put it in there next time I get over to Spawn.

[edit]: Here's the recipe (http://twilightforest.wikispaces.com/Magic+Map) for the TF map. You can find ravens (for their feathers) hanging out by those tall obsidian towers with the block of Lapis on top.

[edit2]: These "boss" type creatures are a good challenge. Bring your best armor and your A-Game, because they will fuck you up. They're fast and tricky; most of all though - super fun. It's great to have these kind of challenges in MC. :) Reminds me of a video game. ;) :p

RowdyScot
2013-03-21, 21:07
Grey, in my tests, Rainbow Oak constantly changes color in the Overworld. I would LOVE to grab some saplings of that. :) In my explorations, I must have been so close to the Quest Grove numerous times and just not seen it. Shame! I found some other Hollow Hills further out east, but they aren't on your map.

2013-03-21, 21:16
Where are you again in the Overworld? I might pop on later tonight and I'll drop some in a chest at your place. :) Or wait - are you still close to Stevuh near spawn? If so I'll drop the map off at the same time.

I was actually surprised at how small the Enchanted Forest biome was. Just large enough to surround the Grove, basically.

2013-03-21, 21:40
OK - map is in the Twilight Forest chest, and RS, I put some Rainbow saplings in one of the chests at your Spawn house.

Whoever tries the map in the chest: let us know if it works! Curious about that. :)

2013-03-22, 14:39
Hmm. I'm getting a crash screen right before it logs me into the server with a "Ticking screen" error description. :confused: MC crashed as I was entering a portal, so I think my entity may be stuck in limbo. Is there a file I can delete in my App Support folder that will "reset" me and pop me out at Spawn?

SP games run fine, so I think there's something weird with my crash point. :\

Description: Ticking screen

java.lang.NullPointerException
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.EntitySpawnPacket.exec ute(EntitySpawnPacket.java:175)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.hand leFMLPacket(FMLNetworkHandler.java:102)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.hand lePacket250Packet(FMLNetworkHandler.java:67)
at ayh.a(NetClientHandler.java:1483)
at di.a(SourceFile:59)
at cg.b(TcpConnection.java:458)
at ayh.d(NetClientHandler.java:240)
at ayk.c(GuiConnecting.java:49)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.l(Minecraft.java:15 37)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.J(Minecraft.java:84 6)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java: 771)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.EntitySpawnPacket.exec ute(EntitySpawnPacket.java:175)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.hand leFMLPacket(FMLNetworkHandler.java:102)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.hand lePacket250Packet(FMLNetworkHandler.java:67)
at ayh.a(NetClientHandler.java:1483)
at di.a(SourceFile:59)
at cg.b(TcpConnection.java:458)
at ayh.d(NetClientHandler.java:240)
at ayk.c(GuiConnecting.java:49)

-- Affected screen --
Details:
Screen name: auj

-- Affected level --
Details:
Level name: MpServer
All players: 1 total; [ays['greychristian'/289573, l='MpServer', x=-1893.40, y=121.62, z=-1444.87]]
Chunk stats: MultiplayerChunkCache: 5
Level seed: 0
Level generator: ID 02 - largeBiomes, ver 0. Features enabled: false
Level generator options:
Level spawn location: World: (-88,64,224), Chunk: (at 8,4,0 in -6,14; contains blocks -96,0,224 to -81,255,239), Region: (-1,0; contains chunks -32,0 to -1,31, blocks -512,0,0 to -1,255,511)
Level time: 59679975 game time, 22075418 day time
Level dimension: 0
Level storage version: 0x00000 - Unknown?
Level weather: Rain time: 0 (now: false), thunder time: 0 (now: false)
Level game mode: Game mode: survival (ID 0). Hardcore: false. Cheats: false
Forced entities: 1 total; [ays['greychristian'/289573, l='MpServer', x=-1893.40, y=121.62, z=-1444.87]]
Retry entities: 0 total; []
Stacktrace:
at ayp.a(WorldClient.java:439)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.b(Minecraft.java:24 01)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java: 787)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

Brad
2013-03-22, 14:50
I'll take a look at it when I get home in a few hours. From what I've read, if a user gets corrupted, the only recourse is to delete it from the server. The next time you log in, you'll have lost your inventory and XP and spawn at the original spawn.

2013-03-22, 14:53
That's fine. Thanks for looking at it. :)

2013-03-22, 19:51
It must've corrupted me as I entered the portal. I've tried turning off what extras I could and deleted some of the player files on my machine, but no dice.

This is what the Console says (in red (!)):

013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] t: Ticking screen
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.l(Minecraft.java:15 44)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.J(Minecraft.java:84 6)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java: 771)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.EntitySpawnPacket.exec ute(EntitySpawnPacket.java:175)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.hand leFMLPacket(FMLNetworkHandler.java:102)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.hand lePacket250Packet(FMLNetworkHandler.java:67)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at ayh.a(NetClientHandler.java:1483)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at di.a(SourceFile:59)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at cg.b(TcpConnection.java:458)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at ayh.d(NetClientHandler.java:240)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at ayk.c(GuiConnecting.java:49)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.l(Minecraft.java:15 37)
2013-03-22 20:47:18 [INFO] [STDERR] ... 3 more
2013-03-22 20:47:28 [INFO] [STDOUT] Stopping!
2013-03-22 20:47:28 [INFO] [STDOUT] SoundSystem shutting down...

turtle
2013-03-22, 20:43
I moved your player data 709 so try to get logged in again and see if you can succeed. Brad or I can revert you back to the old player if needed, but I'm pretty sure this should do the trick.

2013-03-22, 21:30
Damn! That was a success afa getting back in, but as soon as I entered my portal in the nether I crashed again - and now I'm getting the same thing. :(

Looks like I'll have to go the long way around and tear down that damn thing and build anew. Would you mind deleting my data again? :)

What a pain. I have no idea why it's decided to act up. :\

turtle
2013-03-22, 22:20
Damn! That was a success afa getting back in, but as soon as I entered my portal in the nether I crashed again - and now I'm getting the same thing. :(

Looks like I'll have to go the long way around and tear down that damn thing and build anew. Would you mind deleting my data again? :)

What a pain. I have no idea why it's decided to act up. :\

Done. Hope it sticks for you this time.

Brad
2013-03-22, 23:44
Thanks for jumping on that fix, turtle. I had to run some errands before coming home, and then I had some work I needed to finish before I could get around to this.

2013-03-23, 08:37
I think I figured out what's going on.... I placed a scarecrow right as I was entering my portal and crashed. After Googling a bit I found this thread (http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/mindcrack-hosted-server-item-spawn-client-crash-server-chunk-corruption.4879/) saying that scarecrows are a known problem with ExtraBiomesXL. Fuuuu. :(

I'm able to log in now at least (thanks T :)) but as soon as I get near my base I crash out again. Any chance we can change the entity# for scarecrows? Preferably not to a ghast or anything destructive as the scarecrow is inside my base. ;)

It didn't occur to me before that it might be a block that I placed - I just assumed it was a bad portal jump. :\

Anyways, STAY AWAY FROM SCARECROWS! They will fuck your life up. :|

turtle
2013-03-23, 10:17
Glad I could help out. I've moved your player dat file again. You should be able to log in. I would have gotten to it sooner, but I slept in and it felt good! Not sure how to change a scarecrow. Might have to let Brad handle that one. Maybe we could kill your whole chunk of Nether...

billybobsky
2013-03-23, 10:46
ok... turn off soulshard plugin on the server...

edit maybe not... i thought that that would fix it... but this is an extrabiomes problem?

Brad
2013-03-23, 10:46
Any chance we can change the entity# for scarecrows? Preferably not to a ghast or anything destructive as the scarecrow is inside my base. ;)

It's not that easy, unfortunately. I may have to delete the whole chunk if I can't find the entity with some kind of NBT editor. I'll give this a shot today. Exactly where are you (nether or overworld? coordinates?) when it crashes?

I'll also see if it's possible to disable crafting of scarecrows to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

Brad
2013-03-23, 10:48
ok... turn off soulshard plugin on the server...

Is that the cause of the scarecrow problem?

Also, won't disabling a plugin after entities from that plugin already exist in the world lead to a corrupted world?

billybobsky
2013-03-23, 10:53
well this is a client side bug -- a couple of things i have tried haven't worked...

which is to say i have become a victim of grey's scarecrow....

billybobsky
2013-03-23, 11:09
here's where it says i am...

x=-1893.00, y=122.12, z=-1445.00

do... remove me before you delete the chunk. the other option is nuking it.

2013-03-23, 11:09
It's not that easy, unfortunately. I may have to delete the whole chunk if I can't find the entity with some kind of NBT editor. I'll give this a shot today. Exactly where are you (nether or overworld? coordinates?) when it crashes?

I'll also see if it's possible to disable crafting of scarecrows to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.The base is in the Overworld @~ -1895 -1445. I really don't want to delete the chunk as I've just finished moving all my mining loot from the treefarm over there. Worst case I'll let it sit for a while and hope the next FTB update fixes it.

I got within 100 blocks of it today on foot before it crashed - probably right as it tried to load the chunk.

Disabling scarecrows is probably a good idea. I figured all this stuff was tested before-hand on their end, but apparently there's a major bug here. :\

As I was trying to figure out what was going on this morning I noticed people saying the scarecrow entity has either ID 12871 or ID 13127:

A difference of 256 with item id's is noting to worry about in the first place as long this doesn't cause a collision (Minecraft internally subtracts a 256 from the configured id at some places, so some mod authors are adding a 256 to compensate for before registering their items)

2013-03-23, 11:12
here's where it says i am...

x=-1893.00, y=122.12, z=-1445.00

do... remove me before you delete the chunk. the other option is nuking it.That's likely the exact location of the scarecrow inside my base. NO nukes plz! :) Too much work has gone into it. :|

Brad
2013-03-23, 11:41
I'm diving into investigating/attempting repairs now...

billybobsky
2013-03-23, 12:55
If either Brad or Turtle could pull my avatar out of "Dark night of the Scarecrow" that would be great.

Brad
2013-03-23, 12:57
I'm shutting down the world now so I can more safely edit these chunks.

Basically, this is me right now. It would be too perfect if the patient's name was Lenny instead of Bob.

http://youtu.be/v2XkTIYhQC8?t=18s

2013-03-23, 13:01
:lol:

Oh man... what a clusterfuck placing a simple scarecrow turned out to be. :| Thanks again for the surgery Brad. :)

Brad
2013-03-23, 13:13
So, uh, I think I fixed it...

But, well...

709, was your hut filled with oil before?

I swear I didn't do that intentionally! :lol:

drewprops
2013-03-23, 14:23
LOL!! He could probably use a few chickens too!!

billybobsky
2013-03-23, 14:55
drew... your portal... its kinda awkward on that hall... perhaps build a room around it, so you don't have to run through it to get past?

2013-03-23, 15:25
So, uh, I think I fixed it...

But, well...

709, was your hut filled with oil before?

I swear I didn't do that intentionally! :lol:All is good thanks to Brad's skillz. Thanks again! :)

The oil thing was... weird. Apparently "new" blocks don't translate very well (my overhead lamps turned into oil blocks...wtf?), but everything's fine now.

drewprops
2013-03-24, 16:59
Oil's well that ends well :lol:

It has been explained to me that you don't have to build on the EXACT duplicate coordinates, so I will re-engineer my portal when I get a chance. I apologized in the other Bad Wolf thread, but will apologize here as well for the inconvenience of my nether portal :)

turtle
2013-03-24, 19:48
I moved your portal for you. You might want to add a sign to it though. I basically just turned it to the side so we all run past it instead of through it.

drewprops
2013-03-24, 23:11
Thanks T.

My dad was sick this weekend and we ended up taking him in for emergency surgery Saturday night. He's recuperating in ICU and I've only been able to surf net and make comments from my phone. I thought about going in there to do it tonight but I need to get some sleep.

turtle
2013-03-25, 07:25
Sorry to hear the news. Hope your Dad turns out just fine from this though.

drewprops
2013-03-25, 08:58
Thanks T. Hope to have him home by Friday.

I have to brag some.

This is the first world where I have gone down to mine intentionally for diamonds by myself. In one other world I found some in a ravine, but we had a party of explorers. This time it was me all by myself, and my very first haul netted 13 diamonds!!!! It was a milestone for me! :lol: :lol:

billybobsky
2013-03-25, 15:06
My goodness do they grow up fast...

turtle
2013-03-25, 18:26
Wow, that's good for you Drew! Now you need to stay down there and get more! Plus, add torches and you'll see how safe it really is. :)

drewprops
2013-03-27, 20:16
I'm still sleeping in the day and on hospital duty at night. If some of you could post pictures of your places it would be cool. I may try to get on for a few minutes tomorrow.

2013-03-28, 16:38
I'm going with an industrial feel for my Redlands abode:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/RLinterior.jpg

Plus, with my creosote/steel farm (pictured in the background above) I've automated rail making for my eventual rail project:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/RLtrackmaker.jpg

ALSO! I'm making my first foray into Blutricity. I doesn't seem very useful other than for alloy furnaces, but whatever. I think the wind turbine blocks are gorgeous:

http://www.greychristian.com/AN/RLturbines.jpg

I'm up high enough where they seem to spin OK - some better than others - but honestly I just like looking at them. :) I'll have enough solar when I get to my EU build, but I thought these were a nice change from the Blu solar panels most used for Blutricity generation.

Still a long ways to go until it feels like "home", but I really like it out here so far. Bonus: no rain. I swear that it used to rain here, but I guess not. Unless something got updated along the way.

The eventual goal for the Redlands is to make it look more like the Redlands I know and love. So more terraforming into buttes and arches rather than massive builds. It'll be a nice change of pace from my usual BUILD SOMETHING AWESOME AND HUGE mantra. Though - these will still be awesome and huge, but my challenge here is to make them look natural, which I'm excited about. :)

drewprops
2013-03-28, 17:20
Wow!!! Grey your place is amazing so far!!!! O.o

Foj
2013-03-28, 17:45
Probably took him about 10 minutes to build all of that. :p

2013-03-28, 18:24
Wow!!! Grey your place is amazing so far!!!! O.oThanks! I think the iron scaffolding and the caged lights really work well together. It's a bit of a pain since the scaffolding only stretches so far, but I like it. Even if bobsky hates the texture. ;)

Probably took him about 10 minutes to build all of that. :pHahaha. This is all underground since I didn't want to alter the natural landscape too much, so no. Much digging. I'm so over digging after the latest treefarm, but this needed to be this way. Kind've reminds me of my first house in Loch Greene after I joined late and all you bastards left me hanging near spawn (without a portal!) while y'all were styling near the ocean. :p

Bryson
2013-03-28, 19:31
The bit I never get with you guys is where do you get the resources from? I mine for bloody hours and find 2 measly diamonds.

drewprops
2013-03-28, 19:46
Did you see that my very first diamond find yielded 13??!! Seriously.

I miss my mountain house from a couple of worlds back. It would be fun to find another extreme clime like your painted desert (I didn't know those existed). I'm enjoying my current mine, may go looking for a new spot soon though - you've inspired me ;)

2013-03-28, 20:40
The bit I never get with you guys is where do you get the resources from? I mine for bloody hours and find 2 measly diamonds.Visit the treefarm. It's basically a giant, fancy, month-long dig down to bedrock. ;) That plus a fortune pick or 4 made my stock pretty good. Plus cleaning out caves as I went down netted me a lot of goodies as well.

That said, Minium Stone (http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Minium_Stone) is your friend. Convert that worthless gold into diamonds. I had to do that many, many times when digging out the treefarm. I went through dozens of iron picks. Thank the gods I stumbled across the MS bit of info.

Also, Macerate absolutely everything you can. Doubles your pleasure.

drewprops
2013-03-29, 11:49
The tree farm is ART.

drewprops
2013-03-29, 21:06
Today I built an extractor, a battbox, a generator and a macerator.

RowdyScot
2013-03-29, 23:23
I've been extremely busy this week, unfortunately. Damn you, life! Why must you interfere with my Minecrafting?

drewprops
2013-03-31, 20:29
The game is very nearly finished; Drew built a functional solar cell today.

2013-04-02, 13:30
SO - You lads with Mass Fabricators. What's your best input to make scrap to feed the thing? Is the cobble generator the best way to go?

I need a way to create a good (and semi-constant) supply of iron going so I'm thinking of making one of these damn beasts. :) Railcraft uses metric shit-tons of iron, I'm finding.

RowdyScot
2013-04-02, 14:15
Yes, an Igneous Extruder powered with an Aqueous Accumulator will generate infinite cobble for scrap.

Bryson
2013-04-02, 14:58
I was trying to make a wrench a few days ago and it wouldn't let me craft bronze. Or rather, it would, but then a couple of seconds later it would disappear and the original items were back in my inventory. Was that a weird connection issue at my end, or is bronze "banned" for some reason?

billybobsky
2013-04-02, 16:15
you were probably using the forestry recipe...

billybobsky
2013-04-02, 16:16
Yes, an Igneous Extruder powered with an Aqueous Accumulator will generate infinite cobble for scrap.
no need for the aqueous accumulator... when making cobble the Igneous extruder doesn't run out of water...

i am actually using the setup grey needs for a mild acceleration of a mass fabricator -- i have enough solar that the thing is running pretty damn fast already (3 uu every 7 seconds or something)...

Bryson
2013-04-02, 16:29
you were probably using the forestry recipe...

Is that the ingots recipe, or the dust one? I was doing ingots but perhaps the dust one is the one I need. I'd actually forgotten about the dust thing until i just looked it up in the wiki. I was foolishly trusting the TMI hints.

2013-04-02, 16:32
Yes, an Igneous Extruder powered with an Aqueous Accumulator will generate infinite cobble for scrap.No idea what either of those are. :D I was just going to use the lava/water block buster method... is that old school now? ;)

billybobsky
2013-04-02, 17:48
Is that the ingots recipe, or the dust one? I was doing ingots but perhaps the dust one is the one I need. I'd actually forgotten about the dust thing until i just looked it up in the wiki. I was foolishly trusting the TMI hints.
use dust...

RowdyScot
2013-04-03, 00:17
no need for the aqueous accumulator... when making cobble the Igneous extruder doesn't run out of water...

i am actually using the setup grey needs for a mild acceleration of a mass fabricator -- i have enough solar that the thing is running pretty damn fast already (3 uu every 7 seconds or something)...

Yeah, you're correct. As long as it gets the initial lava and water, it's good to go for cobble.

turtle
2013-04-03, 17:50
Would you mind posting what you end up with bb/709? I'm going water/lava + block breaker still.

Also, I've noticed the UU-matter recipes very heavily on the web over what we can make. There are a number that we can't make but should based on articles out there. What's the best wiki/article that talks about the formulas we can use?

RowdyScot
2013-04-03, 18:52
Some of the recipes out there may be referring to GregTech's UU-Matter, which is a mod Dire doesn't care to add at this point.

Bryson
2013-04-03, 19:33
No Gregtech, please! It makes a lot of recipes very, very expensive.

turtle
2013-04-03, 22:02
Ok, so look for non-GregTech ones.

2013-04-04, 13:18
Would you mind posting what you end up with bb/709? I'm going water/lava + block breaker still.

Also, I've noticed the UU-matter recipes very heavily on the web over what we can make. There are a number that we can't make but should based on articles out there. What's the best wiki/article that talks about the formulas we can use?I'm just going to use the block breaker method as well, Turtle. As far as recipes, I'm looking at the ones on the Tekkit wiki (http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/UU-Matter) only.

For the iron maker I'm going Cobble>Scrap>UU-Matter>Gold Ore>Gold Dust>Gold Ingots>Gold Block>Iron Block (auto-crafting w/minium stone). If my maths are correct I can get 6.4 iron ingots from one piece of UU-Matter that way. Not too shabby. :)

Depending on the cobble output frequency I may stick an auto-crafting table to cut the cobble blocks in half before recycling, but I have to build it and test it first.

2013-04-04, 16:54
SO, question: Do you have to feed the Mass Fab from the bottom? I thought is was kind've a rule-of-thumb to feed machines from the top and power them from the bottom (or side), but the MF is different? Where do you output the UU-Matter from? The top? :err:

Also, does a pneumatic tube always sucks things out of a machine? Like, I wouldn't need a wooden transport pipe and a redstone engine if I was just moving the items from a machine to a chest?

billybobsky
2013-04-04, 18:39
uu from bottom...

oh and cobble can be made easily without power by the igneous extruder - it even will push the cobble into an adjacent recycler without the need for tubing of any sort...

2013-04-04, 19:19
UU comes out from the bottom? Which way does the scrap get input then? What an odd machine... :\

turtle
2013-04-04, 19:59
I know I mentioned this in the game, but the scrap goes in the bottom and the UU comes out of the right side. I have mine using filters and redstone timers to trigger them because I like pneumatic tubing. I have it go to a chest, then to a crafting table with a pipe and engine pulling that into a chest.
http://turtle2472.com/s/20130404_205502.png

2013-04-04, 21:03
Right. Thanks T, I think I have it worked out now. :)

What a strange beast this MF. Plus, holy shit. UU creation is about as slow as anything. I guess it makes sense since it's so valuable, but still. :|

2013-04-05, 23:42
Whelp, it works. Cobble to iron!! It's glacier-like, but whatev. Cobble. To. Iron.

:)

drewprops
2013-04-06, 10:34
So there's a note about a new launcher in addition to the new mod pack.

Which, if any, of those is ready for us to install?

Ta!

billybobsky
2013-04-06, 10:54
New launcher is fine... The new pack is not...

turtle
2013-04-07, 14:09
So I've finished switching to Igneous Extruders instead of block breakers. Here is my new setup:
http://turtle2472.com/an/makecobble.png

This is 5 Igneous Extruders that dump into a chest in the middle you can't see. I then have a filter pumping those into two recyclers. Then a filter takes the output of those and pumps them into a chest on the far wall. That chest then pumps to the Mass Fabricator.

I love this set up over the breakers because it's quiet. I don't hear the lava meeting the water like I did with the breaker cobblestone generators.

drewprops
2013-04-07, 18:51
What does it DO??

turtle
2013-04-07, 19:24
Well, the stuff in the image makes scraps to feed the Mass Fabricator (http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Fabricator). This makes making UU-Matter faster than the solar alone. You then use the UU-Matter to make stuff in a crafting table (http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/UU-Matter).

2013-04-07, 21:38
Your setup probably makes tons more cobble/scrap than mine, but I'm probably the only person that *loves* that hissing sound when the water meets the lava. Feels kind've industrial, and with my setup I honestly wish there were more machines that made hissing and grinding noises. So fun. :) I'd plant them everywhere just to have a constant din of "production" - even if all they were producing was noise. :D

billybobsky
2013-04-08, 00:47
Hmm... I just used overclockers, energy storage upgrades, and item tesseracts for a similar setup... no tubes though until i needed to store the scrap somewhere...

drewprops
2013-04-08, 08:39
Thanks T, I actually understand more about the machines now that I've built some. But you guys are worlds ahead of me in the practice of setting them up for top efficiency, and such. I just don't have the drive to build things like y'all though - Bruce's place was insane the last time I walked through it. INSANE. And I understand that it's only gotten wilder?

RowdyScot
2013-04-08, 22:54
It's gotten to the point I have no chance of ever exploring it - my computer overheated the last two times I tried to. :lol:

drewprops
2013-04-09, 00:01
It's gotten to the point I have no chance of ever exploring it - my computer overheated the last two times I tried to. :lol:

LOL!!

I'm afraid to go back. Dellphi told me he normally gets 200fps and that it dropped to 20fps around Bruce's mad experiment. My laptop would asplode if I went near that place now!

billybobsky
2013-04-09, 01:04
I actually do not know what is causing it... After the tanks are filled, I will investigate some possibilities...

drewprops
2013-04-09, 01:07
Hey I just updated my launcher, but not the mod files, and now I can't seem to get in... it seems to hang on the "Logging in..." screen and then I get the "Connection Lost - End of Stream" screen.... and Minecraft is NOT down (http://isminecraftdown.net/).

RowdyScot
2013-04-09, 16:59
Bruce, it could just be the sheer number of things running. I put 512 solar panels out connected with some machines on SSP and overheated there, too. Methinks I really just need a new computer. :)

billybobsky
2013-04-09, 17:33
Yes, that's why i will wait until the tanks are full before trying to fix the issue...

Lynn Nexus
2013-04-09, 20:05
FFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkk

I accidentally downloaded the update to the mod pack and now I can't get on the server. How do I go back?

delphi
2013-04-09, 20:36
There is a pull down menu in the launch GUI that allows one to select the version. It is in-between the Download Server and Private Packs buttons.

Select 5.1.1 and the program will install that version.

Hope that helps

Lynn Nexus
2013-04-09, 21:34
<3 <3 <3 Thank you Delphi!!!!!!!!!! T_T

drewprops
2013-04-10, 00:08
Yes, thank you Dellphi - that helped me too!

I finished my glass walk through the soon-to-be-scrubbed Nether!! :)

billybobsky
2013-04-13, 17:37
Yes, that's why i will wait until the tanks are full before trying to fix the issue...
And the verdict is: Not anything actionable.

Optifine makes the FPS drop far worse even with the minimal (and I DO mean minimal) settings than the default minecraft graphics. Intriguingly, Optifine does not seem to have an 'edge' effect, which is certainly expected... by that I mean that you would expect the FPS to increase the less of the room you are seeing as you get closer to the edge of it, but with optifine this does not occur.

There may be some improvements with the next update, but who knows...

If your computer gets toasty near my base, I suggest staying away, there's not much I can do unless I destroy the lava chamber and that's not happening... on a side note the lava chamber is filled and needs some minor aesthetic additions but the glory of it should be apparent...

drewprops
2013-04-13, 18:20
Short Version:
I'm not running Optifine, so maybe I'm okay?

Long Version:
I'm not running Optifine because I thought that I had installed it, but it doesn't seem to working and I don't want to look stupid by asking how to make it work, so maybe I'm okay?

RowdyScot
2013-04-14, 01:30
Not a problem, Bruce. I can move what was my planned home, and already chose a spot a little further out in the biome. :) Wondered if maybe it was an OptiFine issue. The same thing started happening in Technopolis once I had it installed and massive things were being done in town. Of course...that makes me wonder if perhaps OptiFine is the culprit of some of the other mods not working optimally.

billybobsky
2013-04-14, 02:50
Well, to be fair, RS, the FPS drop really only occurs directly in the chunks around the room. Near your construction site, it has been ok for me...

turtle
2013-04-14, 09:58
There is more to it. Just an excerpt from the logs:
2013-04-14 04:10:31 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:11:32 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:12:33 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:13:34 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:14:35 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:15:37 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:16:38 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:17:39 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:18:40 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:19:42 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:20:43 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:21:44 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:22:45 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:23:46 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:24:47 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:25:48 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:26:49 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:27:50 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:28:51 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:29:52 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:30:53 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:31:54 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:32:55 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:33:56 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:34:57 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:35:58 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:36:59 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:38:00 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:39:00 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:40:01 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:41:02 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:42:03 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:43:04 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:44:05 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:45:06 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:46:07 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:47:08 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:48:09 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
2013-04-14 04:49:10 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

This isn't all OptiFine. Also, there was no one online during this time frame either.

billybobsky
2013-04-14, 12:26
Uh. We are talking about different things, turtle... My frame rate drops are definitely local and have nothing to do with getting info from the server. My computer is old, and its showing.

As for all of that... well I have no idea -- I turned off my world anchors because I don't need them any longer, so it isn't likely to be chunks around my base unless someone added more of them. In fact, all of my machines are off save one, which reminds me... I need to turn it off.

Is there a way to determine if parts of the world are loaded at the time of these errors?

turtle
2013-04-14, 12:56
Uh. Don't be an ass billybobsky...

Frame rate dropping would have something to do with what's being rendered and that would have an impact when that chunk is loaded on the server too. They are connected to some degree. To show this in the extreme, lets delete the chunk that your having a frame rate drop and with a pristine chunk see if you're still having a drop in frame rate. I'm guessing you won't be if your chunk is the only loaded chunk.

I can check to see if it shows a chunk that is loaded by updating files on the server. This log though is all that is shown. Not a whole lot to go on sadly. Once a minute though and pretty much all the time.

billybobsky
2013-04-14, 13:40
uh. before i wasn't being an ass, now i will be: turtle, your proposed experiment is a bit daft... actually it is more than a bit daft...

of course a pristine chunk wouldn't give me an fps drop, because my computer wouldn't have anything complex to render. the server isn't rendering the chunks, but perhaps you don't understand that. the only way it would be connected to server performance is if the chunk was getting updated a ton and that those updates were being served back and forth. it isn't. the chunk is not dynamic (ie it is not changing). the poor server performance and the error message associated with it has to be due to chunks that are remaining loaded, and are constantly updating. find those, and you find your culprit.

As for my FPS drop, other's have confirmed it is a local issue related to optifine and the complexity of the graphics rendering (there are many exposed faces and transparent blocks, so it isn't all that surprising), so really, turtle, stop trying to foist the server problems on my little part of the world...

turtle
2013-04-14, 15:59
While you call it daft, it does in fact illustrate that there are server side parts to the drop in FPS. I do understand how MC works, rest your head on that. If there wasn't an abundance of complex things going on there wouldn't be an issue rendering them as you indicated. Thus my wording of taking it to an extreme to illustrate the point.

The question is where is the line that the server is involved. The fact that there is lag being complained about by everyone I've chatted with and seeing the log entries means there is a whole lot going on. Much more than just your FPS.

The connection is likely based on the number of items for the server and client to track/render. In short, your OptiFine issue and the MC server load issue are not mutually exclusive. They are related to some degree.

It's not BW:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2645758980.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Server load is also fine right now and yet once a minute we are seeing the same error in the logs about server being overloaded. Server load has only had a 15 minute average of +1 for 5 ten minute blocks today. Loading isn't the issue for the server hardware.

Looking at iftop and iotop also show that the server is not being pushed beyond it's limits at all. Not even close for that matter. I thought maybe moving the actual MC "current" folder to the SSD might help but there is no indication that would make a difference at all. This iftop screen cap is for one user on who would likely be in an area with high detail and usage happening. Total out of the box was well under 1Mb.
http://turtle2472.com/s/20130414_163712.png

billybobsky
2013-04-14, 18:01
I am not blaming you or the server for the FPS issue. Rendering complexity here is not the same as blocks or chunks being updated. the FPS issue in the lava chamber (and only in it!) isn't related to chunks changing. it just isn't. this means that the server load from a person standing in my lava chamber and moving their camera around (which is where the fps is an issue), isn't any different than them just standing there moving their camera at some other place on the map. i.e. you've got to look somewhere else for the once a minute spike in load.

perhaps we should just have everyone shut off their machines and see what happens, especially if you cannot figure out which chunk is loaded that seems to be associated with the error...

just to be sure that user was me, and at about that time, I was flying around the world really really quickly... (i love my power armor).

Edit: turtle, because I cannot let a bad thought experiment breathe -- the reason your proposed thought-experiment 'proof' that the FPS issue IS server related does not work (and is quite dumb) is that you have failed to control for the fact that the rendering is being done on two different chunks, thus failing to address your central idea that the server can have an effect on render speed. the better thought experiment would be to consider whether i would have fps issues on a local copy of the map versus a non-local copy. but in that case, neither of us would be able to definitely know what the outcome was going to be -- there is no logical way to come to a conclusion. in fact, thinking about several other alternative experiments (considering bad internet connection, or rapidly changing chunks being sent slower than they were changing) all server related visual defects would be interpreted as lag as opposed to fps drops, so I am not really sure what you were going for here.

2013-04-14, 18:06
I think there's only a few redstone engines running at my place right now. I'll turn them off until we can figure out what's what.

turtle
2013-04-14, 19:08
It would seen we have active chunks when there shouldn't be. These files were updated five minutes after the last player had logged off.
-rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 8.3M Apr 14 19:05 r.-2.0.mca
-rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 6.5M Apr 14 19:05 r.-2.2.mca
-rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 7.1M Apr 14 19:05 r.-3.0.mca
-rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 9.9M Apr 14 19:05 r.-1.0.mca
-rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 7.5M Apr 14 19:05 r.1.-2.mca
-rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 7.5M Apr 14 19:05 r.0.0.mca
-rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 7.7M Apr 14 19:05 r.0.1.mca
-rw-rw-r-- 1 owner group 7.7M Apr 14 19:05 r.-1.1.mca

I haven't been able to spend too much time on it tonight because I have other things going. Since there was no one on the server and these did update each minute after the 19:00:49 disconnect I would wager this is our load issue. Something in these chunks are keeping them live. If it's a world anchor or other item doing it I don't know. With all the livestock and such around there though I'm sure it's the real issue for the load. Of this, based on other MC servers I'm running, only r.0.0.mca should be regularly updating. None of the other chunks should be active with no users in them.

bb: Guess I'm just picking a fight. :sigh:

2013-04-14, 20:54
Is "r.-2.0.mca" and such the position of the chunk in relation to Spawn? :confused:

drewprops
2013-04-14, 21:45
Turtle I wasn't going to say anything, but you WERE picking a fight... :lol:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm just starting my taxes tonight. :(

turtle
2013-04-14, 21:46
r.-2.0.mca is the actual file name for the chunks that MC saves the game in. My area (-1500, 200) is on r.-4.0.mca as an example. I tried to make out the actual number of chunks contained in the .mca file but didn't have the time to get into it tonight. I think it's 32x32 chunks and chunks are 16x16 but I'm not sure. Spawn is normally located in the r.0.0.mca file.

RowdyScot
2013-04-14, 21:49
It's partially that I have my render distance far enough to load the chunk in which your lava tanks are, Bruce, but like I say - not a problem. I could turn down my render distance, but really, it's okay. My issue isn't so much the FPS drop - it's the overheating computer, which is likely to be alleviated soon as it is (hooray potential new job springing for a brand new iMac maxed out!). The overheating doesn't just happen there - that's just the only consistent place it does. I'm *not* complaining about that - it's an issue easily solved for me by moving a bit, and I found a spot with scenery I really enjoy. I even get an alpine forest in the background for my lodge. :)

Bryson
2013-04-15, 01:09
So, my laptop died a death, so I'm trying to use my wife's machine.

What version should I be trying to use again? (And can we update the first post to reflect that?) I'm getting a "the following mods are required" message if I try to use 5.2 which I thought was the right one.

EDIT: 5.1.1 apparently.

Bryson
2013-04-15, 01:19
Turtle: I think Quarries act as world anchors too. Mine says "this quarry will keep x chunks loaded" when placed. I was hoping that was only when it was powered, but maybe not?

RowdyScot
2013-04-15, 02:28
Quarries in Buildcraft 3.0 do act as anchors, even when not powered.

turtle
2013-04-15, 08:33
So how many quarries or world anchors are active right now?

Elysium
2013-04-15, 09:10
I don't have either. So I'm not to blame. Got some real lag last night around 1130 EST and had a FPS drop to 14 (typically 30 FPS with Optifine at high levels). This was at my base which has had no issues in the past.

drewprops
2013-04-15, 09:29
I have 3 or 4 world anchors - you can nuke them if you need to!

Or do I need to?

come to think of it, I have 3 at my place near spawn and one waaaaaay out at magic mountain - could that large distance separation be the problem??

It would be AWESOME if I was to blame for something, finally!!!

:)

turtle
2013-04-15, 09:41
Well, any one near spawn is going to be a problem due to the number of animals. You only need one to cover 9 chunks. It keeps the chunk it's in active and the surrounding 8 chunks too.

The one at Magic Mountain shouldn't be an issue due to distance, that doesn't matter. The issue if just having more chunks active than need to be active.

It's easier if you remove them.

The problem isn't that there are world anchors or quarries, it's the number of them with lots of activities that's the problem.

2013-04-15, 19:03
No quarries or world anchors at my place either. I'm not nearly as advanced as Drew, so maybe it's safe to turn my rolling machine engines back on? Because, rebar. :)

turtle
2013-04-15, 19:52
Having machines in general isn't a problem. It's when those are running and no one is on. The java app (MC server) is forced to process the chunks and keep updating the data. This takes from those who are on playing. So leave your machines running if you need them, but when you log out and that chunk isn't active they will stop and wait for you to get back.

Bryson
2013-04-15, 20:28
I have a quarry (singular) and am quite close to spawn. Instead of just turning it off when I'm offline I could also break it and throw in a chest overnight. Do we think that would help?

Alternatively, I could move my quarrying operation to a more remote location if that is any use?

turtle
2013-04-15, 20:39
Based on what I've see of those, putting it in a chest when you aren't actually using is the best way. Moving to a remote location won't really make a difference, it will just change the chunk loading.

delphi
2013-04-15, 21:10
I have 3 or 4 world anchors - you can nuke them if you need to!

Captain Drew understands how to make glass in Minecraft. However he doesn't understand a world anchor.

Let's see world anchor or way-point. That must be the same thing.

turtle
2013-04-15, 22:23

drewprops
2013-04-15, 22:30
Shutup everybody.

Dellphi explained the difference to me over the phone.

I honestly thought I had made world anchors.... but they're waypoints.

Stop laughing at me!!!

2013-04-16, 20:21
Apologies to everyone that were on last night – I was afk for the longest time in an ice cream coma (Thanks Lynn!) and forgot to log off.

Was the thing we used to have before that kicked inactive members bukkit-based? 'Cause that would be a nice thing to re-implement if we could.

turtle
2013-04-16, 20:38
I was looking at that and it was a Bukkit thing to kick for AFK or let people sleep the night away while you're AFK. There might be one for FTB, but I haven't found it yet.

turtle
2013-04-16, 21:05
FYI, I just checked the log and haven't seen the load issue since the server restart at 5AM. So whoever changed something yesterday, it likely was the culprit.

Bryson
2013-04-17, 00:58
I put my quarry in a chest for storage, so maybe that.

2013-04-17, 18:00
BRYSON!

;) :D

Bryson
2013-04-17, 18:05
I broke the server! IN YOUR FACE BOBSKY.

2013-04-17, 18:59

2013-04-17, 19:04
If anyone is looking at RailCraft thingies, my place is open to you. Now that I have the cobble to iron thing working (slowly, but working) I have a ton of iron, and I've been converting it to rebar and various tracks. So, come by and take what you want. There are Project Tables with rail crafting in place, and there are chests around that have everything you'd need*.

Also, my blast furnaces are empty atm if you need steel, and if for some reason you need to cook some coal coke you can use those furnaces too. Have at it. :)

There's a chest with Metal Posts next to the Project Tables too. Take what you want, but you'll have to supply your own dye.

*except for HS rails. Fuck those things – they sound scary. Reinforced Rails are faster than normal rails and you can still do corners.

[edit]: Just to be clear, again: take as much as you want. In cooking all the parts I didn't realize that it would only take a couple of this and a few of that to make an entire stack of rails. Seriously, I am overloaded. Grab with no remorse. ;) Plus, I am always making more.

turtle
2013-04-17, 20:37
FYI: at 15:54:40 the loading issue in the logs returned. bb and Dellphi were the two on I noticed at that point. The load error hasn't stopped since starting either.

709: I've started looking at the rail stuff but don't know where to begin and don't have the time to really get into it. If I want to build a rail to go beside the skyway, which would be the best? I was going to just build a standard rail but then saw all the railcraft stuff.

billybobsky
2013-04-18, 02:23
hmm... the only thing that i did was to re-establish a portal pair that keeps breaking. i removed them at ~03:22:45 (EDT). let me know if that changed anything.

Aha! Portals from the portal gun are chunk loaders.... so be careful with them...

turtle
2013-04-18, 20:22
Actually that seems to have stopped the load warnings bb. Right on schedule.

turtle
2013-04-24, 21:38
The load is so bad right now I even restarted the server. Thing is, that didn't do anything. If you have a World Anchor or a Portal open (based on bb's post since I know nothing about them) please post about it here. It has been steady:
2013-04-24 02:59:54 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

Even though I'm local it took me 10 minutes to get 36 soul sand for a blast furnace. That is unreal. Something has got to change. We had it usable when we last posted about this, that has totally changed. Not very usable now.

drewprops
2013-04-24, 21:42
Lets go back to basic Minecraft?

billybobsky
2013-04-25, 01:28
no.

i have not been on the server for a few days, so whatever contribution i might have had shouldn't have newly appeared since then...

Is it possible that a server setting is driving the increase load, turtle? There are also a lot of players that don't check these forums, could you leave a server side message telling people to turn off portals and world anchors... and remove quarries when not on the server...

if this is a once a minute occurrence then it should be relatively easy to track down -- there must be processes either in game or on the server happening with that regularity...

drewprops
2013-04-25, 01:50
Maybe we need to buy a robust cloud server setup by Amazon!

Bryson
2013-04-25, 13:56
I *think* I put my quarry in a chest when I last logged out. But I'm only about 80% sure. And now my computer is dead - so can someone go and check for me?

The quarry is underground - just take the stair down from the Skywalk at my village and then follow the gravel road - you'll see the mining site on the left.

turtle
2013-04-25, 18:59
As much at I like not having so many things go wrong I do like having the options the mods give.

Bryson, you do have a quarry machine in a chest underground. If you only had one then it's in a chest.

I will see about posting a MotD on the server, just don't know how to with FTB. I'll see if I can get it figured out tonight though. I'll likely have it point people to a short URL to read a post or page that goes through the details of being server friendly.

About the server: I started this thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=770992) so we can try to keep this one specific to the game world.

Edit: for the MotD thing it looks like I can only change the one you see when the MC game checks the server before joining.
"motd=AppleNova FTB Direwolf20 Modpack"

Also, there isn't anything else running on the server right now other than MC so there's nothing to disable on it. It's base Cent OS with Java and MC running.

Bryson
2013-04-25, 20:15
I think I might have had two - in which case the second one may still be running. It's pretty close to that chest - just on the other side. Follow the pipes!

You'll see if it's missing or not because I place it on top of a green Xychorium block.

Sorry to be a pain...I'm working on a new machine but it's a tricky thing to arrange right now.

turtle
2013-04-25, 20:28
There is something in the middle of some engines, is that is? If so, how does one remove it? I'll pull it out for you.

Bryson
2013-04-26, 10:45
Just hit it with a pick - it should break with one hit.