PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming of an iPhone

Dorian Gray
2013-03-02, 11:00
I sold my 32 GB iPod touch 4th Generation, intending to replace it with an iPod touch 5th Generation.

Then I thought, a little more money would get me an iPad mini. But then I remembered I wanted to wait for a Retina display on that. Then I saw Apple still sells the iPhone 4 for slightly more than an iPad mini. Hmm, an iPhone. And then everything went to hell and I started comparing the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5.

Clearly I have no idea what I want, so I’m turning to you.

A few considerations:

I have about 60 GB of music, which won’t fit on any iPhone/iPod touch, so I’m inclined to not even bother trying, especially since I don’t have much money.
I found the A4 processor of my iPod touch a bit slow towards the end, as my expectations of web browsing changed from ‘wow, this really works’ to ‘please hurry up’. I guess the iPhone 4 would also feel a bit slow in the browser and demanding apps.
My girlfriend has an iPhone 5 and it is truly amazing in speed and general capability. I would love one, except for the cost and the points below.
France has made a real mess of LTE. There are stalling tactics, court battles, and dithering regulators. The existing, limited, expensive LTE service isn’t worth paying for. Most of the still-to-come LTE services will not work on bands supported by the current iPhone 5, but the network operators are on record as saying they expect a new, compatible iPhone to arrive before the end of the year. Worth waiting for?
Since the iPhone 5 has met stiff competition from Android, and the next iPhone (if it’s a 5S rather than a 6) may not get a bigger screen (the key competitive disadvantage of the iPhone), Apple might be forced to sweeten the deal with feature/speed upgrades, or even a slightly lower price. I have no great wish for a larger screen, so I wouldn’t wait for that, but even-higher performance would tempt me, since it would extend the useful life of my purchase.
What might a low-cost ‘iPhone mini’ look like? Would it have French-compatible LTE? I think it would if it had LTE at all, so the question becomes, would it have LTE? When might it arrive?
Although France has messed up LTE, the old 3G services have serious competition so are now very cheap, e.g. unlimited phone calls, unlimited text messaging, and unlimited 3G data (but throttled after 3 GB) costs 20 euros per month. And in France you don’t pay for receiving calls or texts, so 20 euros is really what you pay. It even includes international calls to about 40 countries.

What’s more, these are rolling one-month contracts, so I could jump to another network at any time if someone did come out with a worthwhile LTE package. In the meantime, 3G actually seems pretty fast to me on my girlfriend’s iPhone 5. I presume it would be just as fast on an iPhone 4S.

Apple Store prices in France:

iPhone 4 (8 GB): €399
iPhone 4S (16 GB): €579
iPhone 5 (16 GB): €679
What do you think? If I forget about LTE altogether, how does the iPhone 4S compare to the iPhone 5 in general desirability and web-browsing speed?

Cheers!

PB PM
2013-03-02, 12:12
Your best bet is to get the newest model, and keep it till support for updates is dropped. That's what I did when I got my iPhone 4, and it's still chugging along. Maybe the iPhone 6 will be enough to convince me to upgrade? :D

turtle
2013-03-02, 12:30
I have a 4S and my wife has a 5. I can tell you there is a difference with the two phones. The 4S doesn't really leave me wanting, but I'm still finding times where I was wishing it would load faster. I don't really have that when I play with my wife's. Also, if LTE is going to be a big price hog then I can tell you that it's not worth it.

My region just updated to LTE for AT&T and my wife doesn't notice. She's in WiFi areas most of the time. I would notice though when I'm not in an area covered by WiFi. So being ready for it might not be a bad idea.

That said, generally I have the same mindset as PB PM, buy the biggest/best you can and then hold on to it until you "have" to let it go.

addison
2013-03-02, 14:56
Almost $900 for an iPhone 5? I don't blame you for hesitating. That's crazy regardless of what the service costs. I would like to think the next one will be cheaper but who knows. I'm sure it would support French LTE too. They aren't the only country using those bands. Though if your 3G is fast enough it may not be that important. There aren't any good rumors on a mini. It could be a myth or a device designed for emerging markets. Who knows.

I'd probably wait and maybe pick up something used in the meantime if you need something to use.

Dorian Gray
2013-03-04, 04:35
I see the 16 GB iPhone 5 is only $649 in the US, though if you take off the French VAT (19.6 %) from the French price, the prices aren’t that different: $649 versus $739 at today’s exchange rate. I can save maybe $50 by shopping around (though by equal measure I’m sure a US shopper can also find somewhere selling an iPhone 5 for less than the Apple Store’s $649).

In the UK it’s the equivalent of $795 at the Apple Store, or $663 without the 20 % VAT. So Apple charges only $13 more than in the US. I could get it in the UK, but then I’d have to use a plug adaptor on the charger, making it much bulkier.

Many (most?) people in Europe buy expensive smartphones on a contract (usually 12 or 24 months), with the phone paid for in instalments alongside the mobile service. This both lowers the up-front cost and disguises the total cost, but obviously puts the monthly cost at well over 20 euros.

The iPhone 5 is pretty expensive wherever you live. I guess those diamond-cut chamfers, custom-fit ceramic glass antenna windows, sapphire crystal camera covers, and 6000 series alloy unibodies don’t come for free. But they’re also a good deal of the attraction. I know Steve Jobs preferred stainless steel (like on the iPhone 4 and 4S) because of how it ages, but there’s something very beautiful about aluminium alloy too. And the iPhone 5’s slimness and lightness are impressive.

Thanks for your input, all, and especially your thoughts on LTE and processor speed, turtle.

Dorian Gray
2013-03-07, 14:53
If I go for the current iPhone 5, what colour should I get? I'm favouring the white. But there's also black and gold (http://www.ebay.com/itm/130826701664).

Mugge
2013-03-07, 15:36
Don't splurge on a phone you can't afford to loose, Dorian. Murphy will reach out and punish you for that. ;)

Regarding the iPhone 5 and LTE I think it's a bit overrated. I'd choose consistent 3G coverage over spotty LTE coverage any day and even if you can have it both ways there are presently only a few use scenarios where LTE really makes a difference, mostly video and internet sharing.

Maybe you could save a lot of space by manually synching your music? I used to save a ton of space on my previous iPhone doing this. But then again, I also had a lot of junk that I never listened to.

Dorian Gray
2013-03-07, 15:46
Thanks for the LTE info (and reminder of Murphy’s law!). I’ve read similar comments on various French phone forums about LTE being only a slight benefit at the moment.

I’m starting to think it’s not worth waiting for an unknown launch date for the iPhone 5S (or 6), with unknown upgrades (possibly including a larger screen I don’t really want), and no chance of discounted prices until supply and demand reach equilibrium maybe months after the already distant launch date.

In the meantime, I’ve been playing with my girlfriend’s iPhone 5 and finding it blazingly fast. It’s hard to believe how quickly it renders web pages over Wi-Fi, for example.

I’ll have to manually sync music regardless of the capacity I get (unless Apple comes out with a 128 GB model, which will assuredly be very pricey).

What colour is your iPhone 5, Mugge, and why?

Mugge
2013-03-07, 16:06
What colour is your iPhone 5, Mugge, and why?

Black, because I like it when the screen and the rest of the front just blend together almost seamlessly. I also use a solid black home and lock screen which I think gives it a nice dramatic effect and makes the icons and lock screen controls stand out more. I also suppose it makes the inevitable letter-boxing when using "old" apps on the iPhone 5 much more unobtrusive. My iPhone always lives in it's Cygnett Workmate (http://www.cygnett.com/slate-blue-and-black-workmate-case-for-iphone-5.html) cover, because Murphy, so I don't really think most people have even noticed that I have upgraded from my previous model 4.

AWR
2013-03-08, 08:34
Black for iPhone, White for iPad. Easy. :D

Just my aesthetic preference for which I do not know the genesis.

I would go for the iPhone 5 too. While I am on a work BB (awful, really, but for calling or email), like others I am amazed by the speed of my wife's 5. Jeeesh, across the board it flies and is a joy to use as you already know (just that I am impressed afresh every time I pick it up). Surfing the net via home wifi is a joke, with pages appearing almost instantly.

Yes, more money, but it'll make you happy for a few years. Stay home for a couple of weekends and there's your difference. :)

Dorian Gray
2013-03-09, 04:53
The sordid deed is done. Went with a 64 GB model, used (:eek:) but supposedly in top condition, sold by the network I’ve chosen (Sosh (http://shop.sosh.fr/forfaits-mobiles), which is a low-cost network run by Orange). Price was the same as a new 16 GB model, except I didn’t have a colour choice. White it is!

Looking forward to this now. I haven’t had a high-end smartphone since my Nokia 7610 in 2004.

Mugge
2013-03-09, 08:09
That was a great deal, Dorian. :)

Dorian Gray
2013-03-09, 09:21
I hope so, Mugge. It all depends on the condition of the phone, I suppose, but since it’s sold by the network and given their top ‘like new’ rating, I suspect it’s a phone that was bought and then returned within the 14-day returns period. I can return it too, if I don’t like it.

Meanwhile, I’ll be eating pasta and staying home per AWR’s recommendation. :D Better be worth it!

psmith2.0
2013-03-09, 13:21
My sister's two iPhones were both AT&T refurbs. She saved gobs o' cash and they were fine.

I assume you hot the 5? You'll love it. I'll probably fork over for the 64GB on my next go-around...then I can just throw everything on it and not worry or count free space.

Dorian Gray
2013-03-09, 15:00
Yes, got the iPhone 5. Reasons:
the Apple-designed A6 processor is wickedly fast and energy-efficient, and might support iOS updates for longer than the A5 (with ARM cores) in the iPhone 4S
the Lightning connector will be the new standard for years, so best to get a Lightning iPhone before I start buying in-car accessories, etc.
the display is better (http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm) (extremely good, in fact)
I love the slimness, lightness, and overall design
better repairability (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5+Teardown/10525) than the iPhone 4S, and less breakable to begin with thanks to the construction method and Gorilla Glass 2
not that much more expensive than the iPhone 4S
easy availability of 64 GB model (even as a refurb, as it turned out), though I didn’t initially plan to get that capacity
Is yours an iPhone 4S? What capacity? If I had a 4S (or even a 4, probably) I wouldn’t be buying a 5. But since I’m only jumping onto the iPhone bandwagon now… :)

psmith2.0
2013-03-09, 16:07
Hell no, I have the 5! And I highly recommend it to anyone.

I got it in October. It's white, and the 32GB model. I stepped up after five years of 16GB on two models (original and iPhone 4). I skipped the 3G, 3Gs and 4s. I used my original iPhone for almost three-and-a-half years, and only replaced it because the battery life had gotten pretty useless (and bottoming out multiple times daily).

And all the things you mention about the 5, they're true...especially the first two. It's a bit more "future-safe" and forward-looking, with the processor/graphics and the Lightning connector. I wasn't going to get a 4s no matter what (I don't do one-generation upgrades/jumps), but it was nice that this 5 was so different and far ahead in all these various ways. I know that Lightning-based accessories will be all I have to look for/consider for the next 7-10 years. I didn't want to have some awkward split where I've got some 30-pin stuff and some Lightning stuff.

Feels like I'm holding Tomorrow™ in my hand.

And a big double-yes on the slimness, lightness and overall design. I'm the only person I know who uses their iPhone without a case of any kind...why have something so sleek, comfortable and light to hold and then mangle all that by throwing some hunk of rubber/plastic around it? Granted, I don't live a very hard-knock existence, so really about all I have to do is just be careful I don't fumble it while pulling it out of my pocket and splatter it on a sidewalk or tile floor. But I'll take my chances because it's so nice to hold and use "as is". I'm careful and deliberate...I don't ever just yank things out of my pants with no thought or care.

:p

I know it'll be well into 2014 before I'm looking to replace it. As much as I use/rely on these things, I figure I can spend $199-299 every two or so years to get a good, current-at-that-time model. Goodness knows I use it to the fullest, day in and day out. I'd give up my iMac before I would my iPhone!

Dorian Gray
2013-03-09, 17:31
Cool, and white for you, too. Although I ended up choosing white mostly because of refurb availability, I had earlier leaned towards white. It seems like the right colour for my first iPhone, a bit like red is the right colour for your first Ferrari. White is Apple. On the other hand, the first iPhone was only available in black. And the current iPhone is seriously sleek in black.

There’s actually a difference in materials, too. The ‘windows’ covering the antennas at the top and bottom of the back are made of pigmented structural glass in the black model, but ceramic glass in the white model.

I’m also hoping to use it without a case, though we’ll see if my nerves can stand that. There’s something about a naked iPhone 5 in the hand. :p And yeah, it looks better. But Mugge has a point about Murphy…

I’ve always used my iPods without a case, though as a consequence they did accumulate a few dings and scratches. I don’t mind signs of use, but I’d hate to wreck the display or internals before getting a solid couple of years out of this iPhone. If it happens, though, I’m thankfully not the type to eternally regret not using a case, so there’s that.

Dorian Gray
2013-03-09, 17:41
The next thing is apps. I’ll maybe start a thread on that. My girlfriend has a bunch of them, mostly cheap or free. One is really expensive though: Navigon Europe (https://itunes.apple.com/app/navigon-europe/id320279293).

It looks clunky and ugly in those screenshots, but in this case looks are deceptive. It’s easy to use and blindingly fast at finding stuff. Far better for both in-car navigation and pedestrian navigation (the latter important to me) than my standalone Garmin GPS unit. But my girlfriend paid 69 euros for it a couple of months ago, already a lot, and now it’s 89 euros. You don’t even get map updates for that price, either. You have to cough up more money for quarterly updates for the next two years, and yet more money after that.

So I’ll be giving Apple Maps a good trial first, even though it needs a data connection, followed by reading reviews of every Navigon competitor I can find.

Dorian Gray
2013-03-12, 06:00
Got the phone (though not yet the SIM card). And you know what? I’m having doubts here. The bloody thing has been used. Some smudges on the back from a case, a slightly marred bezel, dust in the headphone and Lightning ports, and a blonde eyelash in the speaker grill!

Damn. This isn’t what I’d call like new. Just my luck. :lol: There’s something icky about a visibly used phone, even though I’ll obviously add my own ick to it in no time.

I saved a bunch over new prices so I’m hesitant about what to do, but I’m now leaning towards returning it for a brand new one of less capacity. I’d miss the 64 GB capacity though. Oh to be rich.

AWR
2013-03-12, 13:07
Oooo, a little French je ne sais quoi! :lol: ;)

Ah, the dust, smudge, umm, hair, that can all be made to disappear. What about returning it and trying your luck again for the same thing? Might be impeccable.

Mugge
2013-03-12, 14:14
Got the phone (though not yet the SIM card). And you know what? I’m having doubts here. The bloody thing has been used. Some smudges on the back from a case, a slightly marred bezel, dust in the headphone and Lightning ports, and a blonde eyelash in the speaker grill!

Damn. This isn’t what I’d call like new. Just my luck. :lol: There’s something icky about a visibly used phone, even though I’ll obviously add my own ick to it in no time.

I saved a bunch over new prices so I’m hesitant about what to do, but I’m now leaning towards returning it for a brand new one of less capacity. I’d miss the 64 GB capacity though. Oh to be rich.

Rinse it with pure alcohol. That's what I do with mine once in while when last weeks lunch is still sticking to the screen.

Dorian Gray
2013-03-18, 08:56
I can do without a little je ne sais quoi in my speaker grill, so I opted to return the phone. Alarmingly, this took quite a bit of effort, and the shop only okayed it this morning. So off it went.

Mulling my next move now, but whatever I get will be brand new. I’m pretty sure I’m still committed to the iPhone 5, but the capacity and even the colour remain a topic of internal debate. A €300 Nexus 4 as a stop-gap until the iPhone 5S comes out is also on the cards, though I have a sneaking feeling that would just be a good way to waste €300. I’d like a good phone for the summer.

I’ll keep you informed. You need to know this. :rolleyes: :lol:

Dorian Gray
2013-04-03, 10:26
The sordid deed is done again. This time without any nonsense: a brand new, unlocked, black, 32 GB iPhone 5.

I chose black, now that I had the choice, to contrast with my girlfriend’s white iPhone 5. I still slightly prefer white, though I quite like the look of the paint wearing off the edges of the black model. Gives it character, like a brassed camera (http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2009/01/brassy-chic.html).

The Nexus 4 idea was quickly nixed, replaced by a ~200-euro Nokia Lumia 520 or 620. But since they would all be stop-gaps to an eventual iPhone, I finally bit the bullet and did the right thing. :p

Mugge
2013-04-03, 15:34
a brand new, unlocked, black, 32 GB iPhone 5.

The choice of a true connoisseur! ;)

Now go get a case before you scuff it.

Dorian Gray
2013-04-06, 08:27
The choice of a true connoisseur! ;)

Now go get a case before you scuff it.

Too late! I’ve already scuffed a little paint off near the speaker at the bottom. :lol: No case for me. I’m going to risk it. I have no problem with scuffs, as long as they’re not on the screen or camera lens.

I’m really liking this phone, unsurprisingly. But I have to say, it actually feels kind of bulky coming from a 4th-gen iPod touch. Everyone talks about how thin and light the iPhone 5 is, and indeed it is for a phone, but obviously an iPod touch is even thinner.

The speed, responsiveness, and energy-efficiency are phenomenal. And the battery recharges at a rate of 1 % per minute up until nearly 90 % charge. I like that kind of flexibility. If you have to leave the house in a hurry you can put it on the charge, take a quick shower, and leave with enough power to find your destination, arrange a meeting, and phone home to say you’ll be late. :cancer: